Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Edo20 wrote: »
    Yeh - the mixed messaging on all of this has been desperate.

We are booked to travel to France in September by ferry.

We go every year. I book and pay for the next years straight after we come back to take advantage of early bird bookings. so this years is all paid for ages ago.

Im in a real quandry about whether we will go now.

Im not too worried about the holiday itself. We stay in a little house beside the beach. We're not really pub/bar people anymore so a 10 days of lying on a beach, going for walks or just lazing around reading a book is grand by us and a trip or 2 to the Supermarche fully masked for supplies is perfectly dooable with the minimum of interaction with others. As regards the travel element - it will be on our own car and the Ferry will be straight to the cabin for the duration....its the Brittany ferries economy ferry so there is f.all to do except go your cabin or take in some fresh air anyway.

I've been on to Brittany Ferries and in fairness to them - they totally get it and have offered to allow me postpone until next year if that is what it comes to.

I think our issues about going are with what is happening domestically here in Ireland. Im daily staggered at the level of nonchalance and care free attitude to all levels of mask wearing, santising and social distancing - its practically non existent now in anybody under the age of 60 and people with small children seem to have a special dispensation to let them run wild in shops and not to wear masks (the adults).............after a couple of months of this - I'll be more worried about bringing it over France from here than the other way around at the rate things are going.....yet Im being harangued from a height by many of the same non mask wearing non social distancing know-it-alls for even considering going on a holiday outside this country......

I really shouldn't be surprised at the state of chassis this country now finds itself in over Covid. Closing everything down was the easy bit - reopening in a new world that requires us to do things in a controlled manner and take responsibility does not suit us at all. We Irish operate as low Frequency Anarchists at the best of times (ie ....we take the law as a general guideline to be bent,finessed and simply ignored when it doesn't personally suit us) - I've always been kind of reassured by this behaviour- tho maddening to me at times - as it makes full on extreme political ideology like communism or fasicism a practical impossibility here as getting that any of us to walk in a straight line together is not happening.....on the other hand it makes the kind of collective action and responsibility required to take on Covid and keep it down a real real challenge for us and , at the moment, we are living on the Lockdown aftermath - but have done nothing to prepare for living with this disease in a fully functioning society. No real point blaming the Goverment or the State as they are reflective our general " wanting our cake and wanting to eat it too" attitude...... we are not prepared to live in the Cov-id world yet so I can see why our medical fraternity are sh^tting themselves over a second wave.

We are not doing airport checks properly - we are not doing quarantining properly - we've wound down the track and trace facility cos it never really worked properly in the first place and our health service is still as fragile as it ever was..... but we do not have enough community compliance with Covid suppression measures to compensate for any of the above - if anything its getting worse with widespread ignorance of the messaging - so we probably are a ticking timebomb that is going to explode in the late autumn regardless of whether another person steps off a plane here or not.........

Finally - both myself and missus are Airport workers of 20 years experience. This might be our last holiday for a long long time as we are , from an employment point of view, walking the green mile at the moment - the unemployment fallout from the Aviation and associated sectors in the Autumn is going to be horrendous too.......

I have the ferry to France booked for September too. It’s 2 months away so a lot can happen between now and then either way.

If i go it will be numbers dependent of both countries. If we start seeing huge increases i won’t go. If we keep going the way we are i’d definately consider it. The ferry is the safest way to travel at the moment. You are in your own car until you board. It’s easy to social distance on the boat and you have your own cabin. Also i’m staying in a hotel that’s not in a busy holiday area. It all depends how things go from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

BobMc wrote: »
    I've mentioned this previously but perhaps on another thread, I get the government advice but lay down the law, if they are genuine, cancel all inward and outward, that way all us with bookings get a refund or if acceptable push out till next year. its the allowing inwards, but ooh no you cant go anywhere is grinding my gears !

I think personal responsibility needs to play its part, like you going to france, I dont see the risk if you behave responsibly.

We're the same, we're booked for Lanzarote, if Ryanair tell me look you can take a refund, I'll stay, but otherwise
    I'm going. Private small complex apartment booked, Own Beach Loungers and Brollies booked for two weeks that we can
    carry down to beach (less than 100m) not really pub goers, enjoy evening meal out alright, we might get few more takeaways and have on patio at apartment, had no plans for car hire this year but with such good deals available might just book one too to avoid cab both ways, that just leaves plane and airport which it is what it is, its a risk i'm happy to take, some form of life must continue, this is going to be around for a long time yet

Personal responsibility needs to play a massive part.
    I don't think it's people like you going on holiday that makes others feel uneasy. Rather, I think it's more those heading to crowded pubs, bars and clubs, bringing home Covid and God knows what else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

like the muppets that sounded pissed or high on radio1 the other morning heading off on a 3 night break to Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Personal responsibility needs to play a massive part.
    I don't think it's people like you going on holiday that makes others feel uneasy. Rather, I think it's more those heading to crowded pubs, bars and clubs, bringing home Covid and God knows what else!

I'm wondering where the massive spike in Infections from all the protests both here and in London is?

Mixing with 100's or 1000's of other people, mostly all young and without masks was seen on TV, especially in the UK, where is the 2nd wave?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I'm wondering where the massive spike in Infections from all the protests both here and in London is?

Mixing with 100's or 1000's of other people, mostly all young and without masks was seen on TV, especially in the UK, where is the 2nd wave?

The UK are still in trouble, unfortunately. We're miles ahead of them, thank God!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

spockety wrote: »
    It's looking increasingly like the advice against non essential travel, and a 14 day quarantine will be removed on Wednesday, for a list of countries that will include Spain, France, Italy, and Germany.

I suspect this will come along with a big political campaign that will still make people wary of travel.

We will be told "yes you are allowed, but we would kindly ask that you seriously consider if you should. And if you do, we would ask you to take all the precautions you can, and if possible when you come home consider a voluntary isolation period, or at least stay away from vulnerable people".

Is that speculation or a reliable source? I heard they aren’t too keen on Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

spockety wrote: »
    It's looking increasingly like the advice against non essential travel, and a 14 day quarantine will be removed on Wednesday, for a list of countries that will include Spain, France, Italy, and Germany.

Been playing in my head since I read this (not really sure how to feel about that :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

faceman wrote: »
    Is that speculation or a reliable source? I heard they aren’t too keen on Spain.

The only way they can stop people is mandatory quarantine on return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

Definitely. While it is not for everyone, I have always loved traveling and you will never get to see the whole world so I want to see as much of it's beauty as possible before I die. You only get one spin at this life and I don't want to waste it hiding. You could get the virus going to the shops anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Gael23 wrote: »
    The only way they can stop people is mandatory quarantine on return

Which they have already acknowledged they cannot do.
    What they can do is insist employers enforce a 14 day quarantine and tell people that they can’t get social welfare if they do travel.

But that’s pie in sky stuff really.

• Advertisement

Rezident wrote: »
    Definitely. While it is not for everyone, I have always loved traveling and you will never get to see the whole world so I want to see as much of it's beauty as possible before I die. You only get one spin at this life and I don't want to waste it hiding. You could get the virus going to the shops anyway.

And you would be at higher risk of getting it going to the shops in many countries, and lower risk in others. The measures are about minimising that risk for everyone.

What they can do is insist employers enforce a 14 day quarantine and tell people that they can’t get social welfare if they do travel.

Not sure IBEC etc would be inclined towards the first one, would place a hugh cost on employers and shift responsibility, wouldn't look too good publicly either.

I've heard they were checking id's etc this morning re. Covid payments, makes' sense, can't really be claiming unemployment while on hol.

In regards Spain, please remember that each region had a level of autonomy not seen in Ireland.

What you are required to do or not do will depend on where you are traveling. When I am currently, it's mostly Spanish tourists. English speakers wouldn't be common it relied upon. Beaches, coffee shops, restaurants are all open and see to all be operating their own rules to accommodate distancing.

Masks are compulsory in certain public spaces but some appear to ignore it and I have yet to see anything done or said to those people. Naturally you have the buffoons who have a mask but it's under their chin.

Checks at airports but nothing invasive. Just a little longer to get through.

All in all, manageable.

bladespin wrote: »
    Not sure IBEC etc would be inclined towards the first one, would place a hugh cost on employers and shift responsibility, wouldn't look too good publicly either.

I've heard they were checking id's etc this morning re. Covid payments, makes' sense, can't really be claiming unemployment while on hol.

You are entitled to take 2 weeks holidays on the dole. Even prisoners don't lose it unless it's more than a 2 week sentence and even the relies on it being reported to welfare most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You are entitled to take 2 weeks holidays on the dole. Even prisoners don't lose it unless it's more than a 2 week sentence and even the relies on it being reported to welfare most of the time

According to what I read if you take a 2 week holiday in Ireland you won't have your benefits cut, but go abroad and you will:

https://extra.ie/2020/07/03/news/irish-news/pandemic-unemployment-payment-jobseekers-cut-foreign-travel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

The lotto had the answer all along....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Sheets Weren’t Changed at Some Hotels During COVD-19

Half a million views in a few days

The response from Trump's hotel is predictably, hilariously bad

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    According to what I read if you take a 2 week holiday in Ireland you won't have your benefits cut, but go abroad and you will:

https://extra.ie/2020/07/03/news/irish-news/pandemic-unemployment-payment-jobseekers-cut-foreign-travel

I'm going to suggest something, if you read an article and the refer to the 'mandatory' isolation when we know that's not true, stop reading.

It's not flexible either, they are entitled to the holiday. That can't be changed. Covid payments, if your company remains closed then you can claim the payment. They never said you needed to stay here, just be available and again, the quarantine is recommended, not required

The department can't decide what holiday counts and which doesn't, they have tried that before. You declare yourself on holiday, you need not tell them where.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has anyone flown from Dublin T1 since July 1st? What was the experience like and did it take longer than normal?

Has anyone flown from Dublin T1 since July 1st? What was the experience like and did it take longer than normal?

Yes and it was fine. Quiet and not everywhere is open so get water, coffee, etc at the start

• Advertisement

IBEC have no authority.
    They dislike plenty and can’t do anything about it.

If people choose to holiday in countries that are not “approved” (or whatever it’s called when it eventually happens) then the colleagues of those people have a right to be kept safe, in fact it’s more than a right it’s an obligation on the company to ensure it happens.

IBEC have no authority.
    They dislike plenty and can’t do anything about it.

If people choose to holiday in countries that are not “approved” (or whatever it’s called when it eventually happens) then the colleagues of those people have a right to be kept safe, in fact it’s more than a right it’s an obligation on the company to ensure it happens.

I use IBEC as the representatives of employers in general, I doubt employers would like the extra expense etc such a move would incur.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against an extra couple of weeks holidays as long as they’re willing to pay for it; I certainly won’t, apart from the number of days allowed there was no further agreement in the terms as to where I could choose to spend that time.

Yes and it was fine. Quiet and not everywhere is open so get water, coffee, etc at the start

The way it was years ago before cheap air travel had everyone taking 4 flights for city breaks each year.

I use IBEC as the representatives of employers in general, I doubt employers would like the extra expense etc suuch a move would incur.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against an extra couple of weeks holidays as long as they’re willing to pay for it; I certainly won’t, apart from the number of days allowed there was no further agreement in the terms as to where I could choose to spend that time.

It’s very possible that it won’t be paid sick leave, and tough sh17 for going there.
    If an employee decides to travel to a restricted area for a holiday then the onus is on the employer to ensure their other employees are safe.

If I’m expected to share an area with somebody that visits the USA then I will be within my rights to refuse to do so.

I traveled today through T1 - zero checks in terms of Covid aside from people at the entrance making sure everyone wore a mask. The whole “revenue are checking departing travelers” always seemed like BS (it was based on a report in that known rag, The Star). Airport much quieter than usual and I only saw 1 or 2 ppl without masks.

Qatar see your face mask and raise you a face shield

https://flip.it/zTsUR-

It’s very possible that it won’t be paid sick leave, and tough sh17 for going there.

It’s not sick leave (as they’re not sick), it’s technically gardening leave and generally would have to be paid (unless specified in a contract).

And totally agree, you should not be subjected to unreasonable risk, but that’s not a reason to abuse another employee’s rights either.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Just listening back to David Nabarro, WHO special envoy, on RTÉ today with Sarah show. He’s in France and plans on traveling to UK next week to see his new 3 week old grandson. I just can’t fathom any of what’s going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Qatar see your face mask and raise you a face shield

https://flip.it/zTsUR-

Interesting

This bit though
    Those flying Qatar Airways should be aware that passengers are now required to wear a face shield throughout their flight, in addition to a face mask or covering

How will that work with meals during long hauls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Enforced quarantine:eek: I know it may look like China with everyone walking around the streets in masks but I don’t think that would work this side of the world.

Australia and New Zealand, countries who don’t have appalling human rights records, do it. Why do you think they can manage it ok and we couldn’t?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement