Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Australia and New Zealand, countries who don’t have appalling human rights records, do it. Why do you think they can manage it ok and we couldn’t?

If we wanted to go down this route the time for it to happen was when we got our first handful of cases last March.

I don't expect New Zealand will keep it so strict for a whole lot longer.

It's fine at the outset of a pandemic but gradually the economic wheels will need greasing and that's just a fact of life.

From an Irish point of view the time for such action has long since passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Damiencm wrote: »
    If we wanted to go down this route the time for it to happen was when we got our first handful of cases last March.

I don't expect New Zealand will keep it so strict for a whole lot longer.

It's fine at the outset of a pandemic but gradually the economic wheels will need greasing and that's just a fact of life.

From an Irish point of view the time for such action has long since passed.

Would it not make sense to do it now, at least for travellers coming from countries with high case numbers. We’ve only just opened our pubs/restaurants this week, proper pubs will open in 2 week’s time. I think now is the time to do it - let the country open internally up and see if any spikes happen. If they allow travel to happen en masse again, number could fluctuate and they won’t know if it’s related to the pubs or travel. They thing that’s going to happen is they’ll roll back on the phase which was just opened, so it’s shutdown for the pubs/restrictions again, or severe restrictions at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

pc7 wrote: »
    Just listening back to David Nabarro, WHO special envoy, on RTÉ today with Sarah show. He’s in France and plans on traveling to UK next week to see his new 3 week old grandson. I just can’t fathom any of what’s going on.

He is doing the right thing, people should live full life. The quarintine is for the slaves of TV screens.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

gral6 wrote: »
    He is doing the right thing, people should live full life. The quarintine is for the slaves of TV screens.

It’s the mixed messages from all sides. His own organization saying ‘it’s only the end of the beginning’ yet he’s traveling (and to a new born).

Would it not make sense to do it now, at least for travellers coming from countries with high case numbers. We’ve only just opened our pubs/restaurants this week, proper pubs will open in 2 week’s time. I think now is the time to do it - let the country open internally up and see if any spikes happen. If they allow travel to happen en masse again, number could fluctuate and they won’t know if it’s related to the pubs or travel. They thing that’s going to happen is they’ll roll back on the phase which was just opened, so it’s shutdown for the pubs/restrictions again, or severe restrictions at least.

I would be supportive of something being done with incoming flights from the major hotspots like USA, Brazil and a few others but not beyond that. Just my own 2 cents.

Opening up internally of course is important but we can't under estimate how important international tourism and business is. As has already been mentioned staycations won't come close to making up for the loss.

I know plenty of people will staycation in Ireland but most people I know will only do it for a long weekend in Ireland. Costs are high but more importantly ( and you might kill me) the weather is crap.

And yes I also know that health should trump economics but we will be paying for this for years to come via increased taxes and reduced services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,713 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mary Regan reported on the RTE 9 o'clock news that the July 9th date for an announcement on safe travel countries could be pushed back even further.

That's fine, but they're going to have to bite the bullet at some point and set up air bridges. Blocking tourism in and out of the country for a lengthy period doesn't seem an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Strazdas wrote: »
    Mary Regan reported on the RTE 9 o'clock news that the July 9th date for an announcement on safe travel countries could be pushed back even further.

That's fine, but they're going to have to bite the bullet at some point and set up air bridges. Blocking tourism in and out of the country for a lengthy period doesn't seem an option.

It would not surprise at all to hear the travel advisory and all that goes with it to be reviewed again 2 weeks after the 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

So went into a bar/restaurant for the first time today, expected to have to pay €9 for some sort of food or meal before we were allowed to order drinks

When we arrived everybody was sitting at their tables full of drinks, not a meal in sight, in fact the chefs were at the bar serving drinks not food!

Not one word mentioned about ordering food, literally you were allowed walk right up to the bar and order as many drinks as you want and sit anywhere, no food menu or mention of food anywhere :V

Then about twenty mins later a guard walked in, went upto the bar and said something to the owner or waiter, then walked back out.

After we went to a nearby restaurant for dinner we walked past and the place was still packed full of drinkers.

Why the hell do the irish government keep saying there's certain rules and not enforcing them?

Is this €9 meal thing a whole fad or what

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Shelga

Rezident wrote: »
    Definitely. While it is not for everyone, I have always loved traveling and you will never get to see the whole world so I want to see as much of it's beauty as possible before I die. You only get one spin at this life and I don't want to waste it hiding. You could get the virus going to the shops anyway.

Well that’s the main thing isn’t it, as long as you get what you want, who cares about anyone else.

Being widely reported this morning that we are in for another 2 weeks of fence sitting by the government

• Advertisement

It appears that the covid-19 sub committee have drawn up a roadmap for flight travel,it's expected to go to government on Monday and expected to be singed off on.
    But it's not expected to be in acted till the 23 of July so the CMO and team can evaluate how the progress of the EU travel area has been affected or not by travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

New government are even worse than old one. Bunch of useless idiots

Would like to see them use this 2 weeks on an intensive campaign on mask use and all the basics again.

Hopefully we will then be better prepared for inward/outward travel.

Of course I would have preferred if they had been doing this for the last month and we were now open again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Update from Dublin Airport (T1).

Mask compliance approx 70%

People wearing masks incorrectly (e.g. not covering nose etc) 10%-15%

Appropriate social distancing in Ryanair queues? No.

Airport quiet, security quiet. However minimum staff at Ryanair check in area. (Automated bag drop stopped working for a time too)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ZX7R wrote: »
    It appears that the covid-19 sub committee have drawn up a roadmap for flight travel,it's expected to go to government on Monday and expected to be singed off on.
    But it's not expected to be in acted till the 23 of July so the CMO and team can evaluate how the progress of the EU travel area has been affected or not by travel.

Completely pointless. I dont think they relaise if flights aren't cancelled people are going to travel, green list or not. I know of plenty of people who've stuck to the rules last few months but they're off on holidays over the next few weeks and they're all going as the flights are going and the accommodation other end is open.

Odd one out in the EU, we must know something everyone else doesn't. They're are countries we could open up to this morning that are very low risk, the indecisiveness in this country is unreal, nobody wants to be the one to make an actually decision

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

The accompanying stories say the justification for this is concern over increasing numbers in some European countries. Which countries are they talking about, apart from Sweden and Portugal?

Completely pointless. I dont think they relaise if flights aren't cancelled people are going to travel, green list or not. I know of plenty of people who've stuck to the rules last few months but they're off on holidays over the next few weeks and they're all going as the flights are going and the accommodation other end is open.

I have annual travel insurance through chill. I just went to their website and I cannot find any definite information on travelling while there is a travel advisory is in place.

It does say that all policies exclude Covid19 but that would be the case regardless of any travel restrictions.

What I want to find out for certain is whether insurance is entirely invalid or not while the advisory is in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Shelga wrote: »
    Well that’s the main thing isn’t it, as long as you get what you want, who cares about anyone else.

Are you talking to yourself?

I have annual travel insurance through chill. I just went to their website and I cannot find any definite information on travelling while there is a travel advisory is in place.

It does say that all policies exclude Covid19 but that would be the case regardless of any travel restrictions.

What I want to find out for certain is whether insurance is entirely invalid or not while the advisory is in place.
    Not sure tbh, I know with some insurers if you had your policy before March your covered, if it was taken out after you aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

gral6 wrote: »
    New government are even worse than old one. Bunch of useless idiots

Why “useless idiots”?

• Advertisement

Not sure tbh, I know with some insurers if you had your policy before March your covered, if it was taken out after you aren't.

My renewal date is a week before I travel!

Will call them Monday to see exactly what the score is. Had a quick look and all our EHic cards are in date till 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Looking back on a few holidays I had in Spain over the past two years and on reflection we were as good as self isolating on these holidays. Nice airy room in hotel with balcony. Went in month of May and October so restaurants and bars were not busy. Wide promenades, lots of outdoor seating in bars and restaurants, beaches, gardens and local towns and sights to visit.

The only problem in repeating this is airports, flights, buses to resort etc.

So the thing is to find these places In Ireland this year.

Will call them Monday to see exactly what the score is. Had a quick look and all our EHic cards are in date till 2022

EHIC will cover you medical wise anyway if anything were to happen be it covid or otherwise

Odd one out in the EU, we must know something everyone else doesn't. They're are countries we could open up to this morning that are very low risk, the indecisiveness in this country is unreal, nobody wants to be the one to make an actually decision

Government won't cancel flights, many number of reasons two main ones, common travel area and that flights have to be available for essential travel EU commission states this.
    Another reason that seems to have gone unnoticed is the EU including Ireland are not at the highest level of treat any more , the EU commission changed too the next level down.
    The biggest voice in the last two weeks calling on flights to be cancelled was rosian shorthall she has even changed her stance on this .
    Calls for a government fund to be set up to compensate people if they wished to cancel there holidays was suggested via a government voucher scheme was knocked on the head when it emerged that the fund would have to be made available for overseas travelers also who booked holidays here.
    The easiest option for the government know is too keep things as they are.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Government won't cancel flights, many number of reasons two main ones, common travel area and that flights have to be available for essential travel EU commission states this.
    Another reason that seems to have gone unnoticed is the EU including Ireland are not at the highest level of treat any more , the EU commission changed too the next level down.
    The biggest voice in the last two weeks calling on flights to be cancelled was rosian shorthall she has even changed her stance on this .
    Calls for a government fund to be set up to compensate people if they wished to cancel there holidays was suggested via a government voucher scheme was knocked on the head when it emerged that the fund would have to be made available for overseas travelers also who booked holidays here.
    The easiest option for the government know is too keep things as they are.

no I know they won't cancel flights. It's up to each person now at this stage if they want to go abroad.

The communication around it has been woeful

no I know they won't cancel flights. It's up to each person now at this stage if they want to go abroad.

The communication around it has been woeful

Dangling the carrot comes to mind.
    Government will do enough to look like there doing something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Just to note, I checked my EHIC and they’re out when we are supposed to travel. A few quick clicks online and they were sent in the post within days, it was surprisingly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

After this amount of time I think visiting family is increasingly justified as essential. People are getting anxious, lonely....many perhaps starting to suffer physically from the mental stress they feel, especially the elderly. In my book, that contributes to a family visit becoming essential, even if it’s overseas

I think that taking your planned holiday in Europe could increasingly be justified as essential and not just if you are visiting family. IMO some families who are facing into another two months of being under the same roof together without a break, possibly anxious, stressed and frustrated, and without anything special or different to look forward to to punctuate the school holiday, could well do with a holiday.

Just back from a few days in a shared holiday house in the south-west. Was the most affordable way for us to have a short break and was good to be doing normal things with other people again. Was also ideal situation to share COVID19 if any one us was carrying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I reckon we had a choice.

Limit travel to and from insecure areas and keep cases down here.

Don’t limit travel and rick cases occurring here.

The government has so far gone for the second option, so I think it’s highly likely that we will have another lockdown in the future, but only for smaller geographic areas.

Take a town like Gorey, or Fermoy, or Gort, if cases spike in places like that it could be facing its own localised lockdown, starting back at the beginning of the roadMap but with increased testing and tracing in the local area. With dedicated resources to cater for the specific area. It’s happened in Leicester and parts of Asia already.

It brings it’s one problem, things can be closed in one town and open in the next.

I don’t think we will see a nationwide lockdown again, just localized ones. The problem is if cases spike in a city like Dublin it will be a logistical nightmare locking down parts of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Why “useless idiots”?

Well now, there’s only so much space on boards but shifting responsibilities, procrastination and general gobdaeery aside they’re probably no worse than the last lot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement