Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

If somebody I knew likened being in Ireland for a summer is “hell at every corner” and will “absolutely annihilate” your mental health because it’s the “darkest corners of depression” then I would be recommending them to seek professional help.

I used to spend 2 months of every summer in a tent in Ireland and it was the best time of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

When i saw this comment on the RTE app a few moments ago “ A so called "green list" of countries that are safe to travel to will not be published until the current public health advice changes.” i think we may forget about green countries lists for at least the rest of this year!

Apparently schools opening in August don’t want to be jeopardised by spikes caused by travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

If somebody I knew likened being in Ireland for a summer is “hell at every corner” and will “absolutely annihilate” your mental health because it’s the “darkest corners of depression” then I would be recommending them to seek professional help.

Yep => travel agent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Micky 32 wrote: »
    When i saw this comment on the RTE app a few moments ago “ A so called "green list" of countries that are safe to travel to will not be published until the current public health advice changes.” i think we may forget about green countries lists for at least the rest of this year!

Apparently schools opening in August don’t want to be jeopardised by spikes caused by travel.

People are just going to make their minds up, if the flights are going and the accommodation is open at the other end then your going to get people travelling, green list or not.

Come the next phase on 20th July they'll do well to stop anyone going on holidays or going to see family. Fill in the form and take the precautions that you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,712 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I don't think that's remotely sustainable. They will have to let tourists into Ireland from the EU at some point this summer. Kicking the can down the road into 2021 when the rest of the EU is already open is not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Strazdas wrote: »
    I don't think that's remotely sustainable. They will have to let tourists into Ireland from the EU at some point this summer. Kicking the can down the road into 2021 when the rest of the EU is already open is not an option.

They think people who lost their jobs due to ridiculous travel ban would be happy to be on 203 euro a week after 10th of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Professor McConkey again talking ****e and embarrassing himself once more. Even worse are the IT for publishing a story promoting his absurd opinion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-should-get-epidemic-under-control-before-looking-at-foreign-travel-1.4296558?mode=amp

I don't know what data he is looking at to conclude we do not have the epidemic under control in Ireland. Fcuking spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Professor McConkey again talking ****e and embarrassing himself once more. Even worse are the IT for publishing a story promoting his absurd opinion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-should-get-epidemic-under-control-before-looking-at-foreign-travel-1.4296558?mode=amp

I don't know what data he is looking at to conclude we do not have the epidemic under control in Ireland. Fcuking spoofer.

An Ireland-New Zealand air bridge sounds slightly unrealistic to me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, tough luck for anyone on the PUP hoping to take a flight.. Maybe get the Bus to Belfast and fly from there! :D

https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-pandemic-unemployment-payment-5140755-Jul2020/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, tough luck for anyone on the PUP hoping to take a flight.. Maybe get the Bus to Belfast and fly from there! :D

https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-pandemic-unemployment-payment-5140755-Jul2020/

I would be genuine curious as to how they will police it. The payment goes directly into a claimants bank account. Sounds like hollow a threat tbh. Anyone on the TWSS can still go holiday consequence free, well except for the 'quarantine' requirement.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »

Aye it was a little unnerving when they more or less said it’s up to public health advice , you know what they’re like.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t release the green list and lift the quarantine until school reopens. They know most won’t go on holiday then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I would be genuine curious as to how they will police it. The payment goes directly into a claimants bank account. Sounds like hollow a threat tbh. Anyone on the TWSS can still go holiday consequence free, well except for the 'quarantine' requirement.

Dunno, I heard they get your PPS number off the boarding pass, or when your passport is scanned when you return...

Aye it was a little unnerving when they more or less said it’s up to public health advice , you know what they’re like.

It wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t release the green list and lift the quarantine until school reopens. They know most won’t go on holiday then.

There's a lot to be said for the 'air bridge' idea. It would be okay to allow tourists from low risk countries come here (and our citizens go there) but you wouldn't want people coming from the likes of the US and Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Dunno, I heard they get your PPS number off the boarding pass, or when your passport is scanned when you return...

Not having a go but no PPS number on BC and I don't think Foreign affairs is linked with DESP I maybe wrong but I suspect it's a scare tactic to keep people in Ireland. You can go on holidays here or up to NI for two weeks whilst on PUP so it makes a nonsense of the available for work criteria.
    I doubt anyone would bother but if a payment was stopped it would be subject to a legal challenge as the wording for non essential travel is advisory and not mandatory by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Well in fairness, if those going abroad can do it courtesy of JSA or PUP the taxpayers who pay for that, and who have been working all along kinda deserve a bit of a something or other in return. Especially if they have decided to be careful and stay at home for a while anyway.

Uh oh, can o worms there... And privacy, GDPR and all the rest of it will be quoted I am sure also.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

This notion that we should have zero infections before we allow travel is ridiculous because, then we cannot have air bridges with even low infection countries, resulting in an indefinite travel ban. Even Americans are getting in at present. Basically, we are locking the front door and leaving the back door. This will kill off most inward tourism, as continentals will assume our quarantine is serious, instead of a paper exercise. Change of Govt bad timing, as Martin and Donnelly are shaky now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Note how the government advice is on Irish citizens and residents travelling increasing the risk. There is zero acknowledging of the fact we are freely allowing tourism from compromised countries roam around Ireland.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It will reach a point, if we continue as we are doing, where EU nations will flag Ireland as a concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

faceman wrote: »
    Note how the government advice is on Irish citizens and residents travelling increasing the risk. There is zero acknowledging of the fact we are freely allowing tourism from compromised countries roam around Ireland.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. It will reach a point, if we continue as we are doing, where EU nations will flag Ireland as a concern

How will Ireland be any different to other countries that let people in, in that respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

If USA pulls back all its multinationals in Ireland, there would be nothing left. So, people should suck it up if they don't want to grow fu... Roosters again.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Jack Lambert is the only medic with a sensible approach. This idea that we will reach Covid zero is back to the old Saints and Scholars idea. If we do, do we only travel and allow travel to/from Covid zero countries. Could be a generation of Kerry holidays, mixing with Americans who come in the back door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

gral6 wrote: »
    If USA pulls back all its multinationals in Ireland, there would be nothing left. So, people should suck it up if they don't want to grow fu... Roosters again.

I’ve no idea what way to interpret that but if you think something as basic as a temporary travel restriction (or lifting of one) would cause that them you’re dreaming, despite Trump’s rattling the EU is a massive cash cow for US mutlis and they won’t risk that lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

It makes absolutely no logical sense, like a lot of the restrictions that were or still are in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Point of information?

Now that Britain have abandoned the quarantine are we now the only EU country with this requirement?

Could someone post again the link to this type of information please? Thanks so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

acequion wrote: »
    Point of information?

Now that Britain have abandoned the quarantine are we now the only EU country with this requirement?

Could someone post again the link to this type of information please? Thanks so much.

Spotted this on the Lufthansa Facebook page recently. Now its before the UK announcement but you get a decent understanding

https://www.facebook.com/113994684003/posts/10158403555444004/?sfnsn=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

This article by Brendan O Connor really sums up what a lot of us have been saying here. Refreshing to see that there is someone in the media with common sense and a sense of humour.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/a-summer-of-public-shaming-39341005.html

Really and truly only in Ireland! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mortelaro wrote: »
    How will Ireland be any different to other countries that let people in, in that respect?

We are different. We are the only country in the EU allowing anyone enter the country. We ARE importing the virus, knowingly.

Despite this the government rhetoric is don’t travel think of other people. It’s a policy of shame, not responsibility. Responsibility would mean being transparent and pro-active with addressing the travel issue

As it stands we have no additional steps, bar a form which anecdotally as referenced in this thread, isn’t being provided to everyone. Quarantine isn’t enforced. Therefore it’s a toothless tiger.

The issue with travel isn’t Johnny and Mary heading to Benidorm on their jollies. Benidorm has less cases of C19, since the virus outset than a comparative Irish city. But for some reason the government wants to guilt Johnny and Mary in to not going on holiday as if they're going to be bringing home bottled coronavirus with their 200 cigarettes.

Not other EU country has taken this approach. Other airports have medical staff, additional non medical staff and temperature scanners to handle the new normal. Other countries have procedures for local lockdowns, which means efficient communication plans and mobilising medical and security staff rapidly. Maybe Ireland has this, I don’t know, but there doesn’t seem to be any evidence we do

We haven’t even made face masks mandatory. Even our own police force isn’t wearing them. And I know first hand, not all medical staff are wearing them either.

We do know that Vinters and publicans are highly influential in Ireland. Bars reopened without reduced social distancing measures at an accelerated place yet not one classroom has reopened nor is their a plan finalised to do so.

Ironically one minister even had the balls to say if you go on holiday and bring the virus back we won’t be able to open schools in September.

We can read between the lines here. There is a hell of a lot more to this than a fear of Irish people reimporting the virus by way of tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

gral6 wrote: »

I’m sure the US government don’t want their citizens leaving to go on holidays anyway, spending their money abroad. I’m sure also they don’t particularly want them leaving to visit and return from a country who they have on their banned list.

Micheal Martin claims the delay in the air bridges is because there is the fear that if people go away and come back and cause a resurgence of the virus it could jeopardise their aim to get kids back to school. That seems to be their main worry.

If that’s the case you can be sure they will delay it well into August, also them knowing people will less likely able to travel due to going back to school season. Cute hoors.

• Advertisement

We are different. We are the only country in the EU allowing anyone enter the country. We ARE importing the virus, knowingly.

Despite this the government rhetoric is don’t travel think of other people. It’s a policy of shame, not responsibility. Responsibility would mean being transparent and pro-active with addressing the travel issue

As it stands we have no additional steps, bar a form which anecdotally as referenced in this thread, isn’t being provided to everyone. Quarantine isn’t enforced. Therefore it’s a toothless tiger.

The issue with travel isn’t Johnny and Mary heading to Benidorm on their jollies. Benidorm has less cases of C19, since the virus outset than a comparative Irish city. But for some reason the government wants to guilt Johnny and Mary in to not going on holiday as if they're going to be bringing home bottled coronavirus with their 200 cigarettes.

Not other EU country has taken this approach. Other airports have medical staff, additional non medical staff and temperature scanners to handle the new normal. Other countries have procedures for local lockdowns, which means efficient communication plans and mobilising medical and security staff rapidly. Maybe Ireland has this, I don’t know, but there doesn’t seem to be any evidence we do

We haven’t even made face masks mandatory. Even our own police force isn’t wearing them. And I know first hand, not all medical staff are wearing them either.

We do know that Vinters and publicans are highly influential in Ireland. Bars reopened without reduced social distancing measures at an accelerated place yet not one classroom has reopened nor is their a plan finalised to do so.

Ironically one minister even had the balls to say if you go on holiday and bring the virus back we won’t be able to open schools in September.

We can read between the lines here. There is a hell of a lot more to this than a fear of Irish people reimporting the virus by way of tourism.

I was in Dublin city centre on Friday and didn't see a single tourist, so talk of anyone being allowed enter the country is theoretical at the moment, not an event that is actually happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement