Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Micheal Martin claims the delay in the air bridges is because there is the fear that if people go away and come back and cause a resurgence of the virus it could jeopardise their aim to get kids back to school. That seems to be their main worry.

If that’s the case you can be sure they will delay it well into August, also them knowing people will less likely able to travel due to going back to school season. Cute hoors.

Maybe MM should be self isolating himself now, after potential exposure (also most if not our entire government) or are they just messing about????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Don't you know it's do as we say, not as we do.

Oh, very. Though it does give the rest of us some leverage, thanks Billy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Hi lads, just looking for advice on visiting Dublin for the day on August 1st. Id be getting the train to Limerick and back and I'd be going to the archaeology museum, kilmainham gaol, Chester Beatty library basically a lot of the historical places. Would anyone in Dublin say it's safe enough to do that? I'll be wearing a mask in the train and whenever id be indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Hi lads, just looking for advice on visiting Dublin for the day on August 1st. Id be getting the train to Limerick and back and I'd be going to the archaeology museum, kilmainham gaol, Chester Beatty library basically a lot of the historical places. Would anyone in Dublin say it's safe enough to do that? I'll be wearing a mask in the train and whenever id be indoors.

It is easier to get under the bus than to die from Covid so, yes it is safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

faceman wrote: »
    The issue with travel isn’t Johnny and Mary heading to Benidorm on their jollies. Benidorm has less cases of C19, since the virus outset than a comparative Irish city. But for some reason the government wants to guilt Johnny and Mary in to not going on holiday as if they're going to be bringing home bottled coronavirus with their 200 cigarettes.

Jeez, I know due to this pandemic holiday shaming is de rigueur these days, but do we need to bring in the social stereotyping by looking down your nose at those who "Head to Benidorm on their jollies" and bring home boxes of 200 fags?
    I'm surprised you didn't bring in "oh they will lose their benefits" just for good measure..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Strazdas wrote: »
    I was in Dublin city centre on Friday and didn't see a single tourist, so talk of anyone being allowed enter the country is theoretical at the moment, not an event that is actually happening.

There have been several accounts of Americans around Kerry. Now I personally haven't seen them as I still haven't been out and about much. But are these just fabricated rumours or is there a grain of truth?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Jeez, I know due to this pandemic holiday shaming is de rigueur these days, but do we need to bring in the social stereotyping by looking down your nose at those who "Head to Benidorm on their jollies" and bring home boxes of 200 fags?
    I'm surprised you didn't bring in "oh they will lose their benefits" just for good measure..

Is a sense of humour now banned as well as our liberty to travel??

If you frequently read these forums and actually read the posts from the various people who contribute you would see that the above poster is not looking down his/her nose at anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

acequion wrote: »
    There have been several accounts of Americans around Kerry. Now I personally haven't seen them as I still haven't been out and about much. But are these just fabricated rumours or is there a grain of truth?

Don't know about Kerry or Dublin but there are definitely a good few tourists in Wexford at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Is a sense of humour now banned as well as our liberty to travel??
    If you frequently read these forums and actually read the posts from the various people who contribute you would see that the above poster is not looking down his/her nose at anybody.

Thought this was the Covid not comedy forum?

You think it's right to stereotype people who want to go on holidays? Isn't that what the issue is now, people being shamed when they want to do something as normal and otherwise socially acceptable as going on a holiday??

This pandemic really does bring out the worst of peoples "opinions."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,712 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

LiquidZeb wrote: »

All of those should be absolutely fine to visit if you're wearing a mask - I know that the Beatty Library are asking people to wear masks for example.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Thought this was the Covid not comedy forum?

You think it's right to stereotype people who want to go on holidays? Isn't that what the issue is now, people being shamed when they want to do something as normal and otherwise socially acceptable as going on a holiday??

This pandemic really does bring out the worst of peoples "opinions."

And if you read the posts from that poster you'd realise that you are completely misreading and misinterpreting.

To use Simon Harris' over used words, cop on! And calm down while you're at it and at least be able to figure out who is pro and who is anti going on foreign holidays.

And a sense of humour is always allowed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I was in Dublin city centre on Friday and didn't see a single tourist, so talk of anyone being allowed enter the country is theoretical at the moment, not an event that is actually happening.

They don’t walk around with signs on their heads.

Do you know what it means that because you didn’t see anyone that you recognize as a tourist?

Sfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Responsibility is being loaded on the public while Martin/Donnelly/Ryan dither. On radio today again, the famous phrase about testing/tracing was uttered- it’s not there yet. The interviewer does not ask when if ever will it be as we were told it would be in mid May. The school opening is now being put on citizens with no evidence of any testing measures at airports or plans for schools. Paul Reid is anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

20th July it is so, you'd have to imagine the targeted testing is high risk areas

https://www.newstalk.com/news/eamon-ryan-says-travel-green-list-wont-come-effect-july-20th-1041120

• Registered Users Posts: 18,712 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They don’t walk around with signs on their heads.

Do you know what it means that because you didn’t see anyone that you recognize as a tourist?

Sfa.

Tourist activity in the city is absolutely tiny. Walk down Grafton St, Dame St or through Temple Bar and you would be lucky to spot one.

Many tourist attractions such as the National Museum, Trinity College, Dublin Castle and Christchurch Cathedral haven't even reopened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Tourist from Brussels seen hugging and kissing friends/colleagues in National Convention Centre last Saturday IDENTIFIED as Billy Kelleher, a FIANNA FAIL MEP, attending election of his turncoat/treasonous party leader, as taoiseach.

Once again, laws and rules only apply to the plebs not the ruling elite

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Ive been to 3 different European city's already and its like normal. If I don't get covid19 i never will.
    Can't beat a bit of sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Limpy wrote: »
    Ive been to 3 different European city's already and its like normal. If I don't get covid19 i never will.
    Can't beat a bit of sun

Where have you been to - I’m dying to travel?

Tourist activity in the city is absolutely tiny. Walk down Grafton St, Dame St or through Temple Bar and you would be lucky to spot one.

Many tourist attractions such as the National Museum, Trinity College, Dublin Castle and Christchurch Cathedral haven't even reopened yet.

Tourist facilities being closed isn’t a guide to tourist numbers

• Advertisement

Can't beat a bit of sun

Waterford, Kilkenny and limerick probably

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Where have you been to - I’m dying to travel?

Bratislava, Krakow and Vienna. Face masks on public transport and in shop's.

Bratislava, Krakow and Vienna. Face masks on public transport and in shop's.

Three beautiful cities. Although 4 days in Bratislava is too long and not long enough in Vienna.
    Did you visit the salt mines outside Krakow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Three beautiful cities. Although 4 days in Bratislava is too long and not long enough in Vienna.
    Did you visit the salt mines outside Krakow?

Bratislava doesn’t have much to it but still a nice little spot. Those Salt mines in Krakow are class though.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Bratislava doesn’t have much to it but still a nice little spot. Those Salt mines in Krakow are class though.
    Mines are incredible, the work involved hard to imagine. Not sure what it's like now but we had to walk down the stairs and ascend again in the miners lift . Not good if one is terrified of the dark and confined spaces as we discovered one of our friends was.
    Loved the view from the top of the UFO bridge in Bratislava.

Yeah went to the mines. Did Auschwitz before so got mines this time. Great city's to just chill and admire the beauty with a cold drink. I'l admit i was watching the women more then the architecture.

Yeah went to the mines. Did Auschwitz before so got mines this time. Great city's to just chill and admire the beauty with a cold drink. I'l admit i was watching the women more then the architecture.

When were you there?

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Potentially going to book a one way flight to Madrid next weekend for an undefined time period. Probably a stupid idea but its seem ok in that part of Spain now and decent temperatures..

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement