Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Bratislava is a dump, by far the worst city I’ve visited in Europe. Vienna on the other hand is absolutely stunning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

josip wrote: »
    It's amazing the amount of people fixated on getting their lifeless carcass home to be worm food.
    My priority would be on minimizing the chances of contracting the virus.

If you do pop your clogs, it only costs €5000-€6000 to get your corpse repatriated.
    Way less if you get oven baked first.

Any chance of a loan? I presume someone else has access to your €6000 that you've set aside for your repatriation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I'm flying to malta on 17th for the weekend, back the 20th, does anyone know if I start isolating that day do I still need to do the two weeks from then or can I stop at midnight on the 20th as that's when it ends?

..Only messing, as if I'm partaking in any of that sh*te when I get back..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Bratislava is a dump, by far the worst city I’ve visited in Europe. Vienna on the other hand is absolutely stunning.

Couldn't disagree more. A lovely place to walk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Watching the Govt press conference live, Simon Coveney says the "green list" of air bridge countries will come into effect on July 20th. Only countries with low numbers of new cases will be allowed on the list and they might even find themselves removed from the list if their numbers rise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Its not illegal, its just an advisory
    Its strange though (or is it) that the advisory invalidates all travel insurance
    Yet travel insurance is still being sold and doesn't cover covid 19 anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Its not illegal, its just an advisory
    Its strange though (or is it) that the advisory invalidates all travel insurance
    Yet travel insurance is still being sold and doesn't cover covid 19 anyway

That could change : they could tweak the legislation again on July 20th to differentiate between green list and non-green list countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Strazdas wrote: »
    That could change : they could tweak the legislation again on July 20th to differentiate between green list and non-green list countries.

Only New Zealand and North Corea would be on the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

gral6 wrote: »
    Only New Zealand and North Corea would be on the green list.

New Zealand won’t let us in (unless you have citizenship or residency)...North Korea was dicey enough Pre-COVID,can’t imagine they’ll be opening the floodgates now.....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Watching the Govt press conference live, Simon Coveney says the "green list" of air bridge countries will come into effect on July 20th. Only countries with low numbers of new cases will be allowed on the list and they might even find themselves removed from the list if their numbers rise.

Come into effect as you can travel to them from then on, or just announced on the 20th with a date to be determined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Come into effect as you can travel to them from then on, or just announced on the 20th with a date to be determined?

My guess is that the civil servants in Merrion street are busy looking up the ReOpenEu site and scribbling down all the countries currently opened to tourism, and at the same time booking their own vacation time to get in before all the rabble crash the Ryanair site and book a well deserved holiday in Italy, Spain, Greece and South of France etc...
    Once Eamon Ryan can figure out how long it will take him to get to the beaches of Spain on a Solar powered air-plane then he will release the list...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

And what piece of legislation would they "tweak" to enable these types of controls?

spockety wrote: »
    And what piece of legislation would they "tweak" to enable these types of controls?

Not sure on that, though i'm sure the DPRK (North Korea) would be able to assist with the legislation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Beanybabog wrote: »

I presume 20th July will be an announcement of the criteria and an initial list of countries. They will announce draft criteria and the steps the airport will need to take. They will then go to consultation with the airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I presume 20th July will be an announcement of the criteria and an initial list of countries. They will announce draft criteria and the steps the airport will need to take. They will then go to consultation with the airlines.

It's bizarre. There are flights in and out of Ireland now to plenty of countries and absolutely no ban on Irish people flying. The quarantine enforcement never existed and from an article at the weekend it now appears that the questionnaire and phone call follow up are gone. I've now booked my August flights to Germany, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As others have said, the flights are there, they are going everywhere, no cautions, no rules.

So what is the point of Green Lanes in a few weeks?

The new Gov doesn't inspire much confidence tbh. But then again they don't have Tony Holihan to fall back on anymore.

They will blame us eventually, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭HotMama89

Due to fly to Greece mid-August had it booked since christmas can WFH so quarantine wasnt going to be an issue. Only concern i have is if someone on the flight tests positive and then 24 hours later im spending my holiday in a quarantine hotel instead of the lovely one I had booked.

Anyone else worried about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

What type of consultation with the airlines though? To achieve what? They are supposedly following EU guidance as is.

Airports are open and flights are operating.

On July 1st there were 200 flights in and out of Dublin per a journal. ie article of the same date

HotMama89 wrote: »
    Due to fly to Greece mid-August had it booked since christmas can WFH so quarantine wasnt going to be an issue. Only concern i have is if someone on the flight tests positive and then 24 hours later im spending my holiday in a quarantine hotel instead of the lovely one I had booked.

Anyone else worried about this?

No, you probably have more chance of falling overboard on a Greek ferry than that happening..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

As others have said, the flights are there, they are going everywhere, no cautions, no rules.

So what is the point of Green Lanes in a few weeks?

The new Gov doesn't inspire much confidence tbh. But then again they don't have Tony Holihan to fall back on anymore.

They will blame us eventually, that's for sure.

It's a numbers game. Like the 9 euro meal in the pub, the intention is to try to put off just enough people and make it a pain in the hole. In the case of travel, the strategy is to scare and shame as many people as possible out of going on holiday abroad, or traveling here in the first place.

Judging by comments on here and elsewhere, it is working an absolute treat. I think one thing they couldn't have expected was that an army of green jersey pullers would do half the work for them, hunting and hounding anyone who dare suggest they are going to ignore the advice (and that's all it is, not a rule) and come or go anyway. I'd say they are pretty happy with how their plan is working. Can't blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Damiencm wrote: »
    What type of consultation with the airlines though? To achieve what? They are supposedly following EU guidance as is.

Airports are open and flights are operating.

On July 1st there were 200 flights in and out of Dublin per a journal. ie article of the same date

I am beyond pissed off in respect to this half way house position we have. Typical Irish solution to a problem. They don’t want to do it properly as they will piss off the US and instead they are intent on guilting Irish citizens not to travel and yet suffer the costs if they don’t. 14 day self isolation which is advisory yet employers are mandating that employees have to take leave or unpaid leave or be fired if they go abroad. Insurance companies are able to ignore their obligations due to the travel advisory and all we have today is kicking the can down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

There was a traveller on the radio last Wednesday coming in from England, who was only coming for 3 days.
    so is that ok or not?
    I thought that on coming in you were stuck in a room for two weeks.
    and if you were only coming in for a couple of days, what could they do to you? Would they stop you at the airport going back out? Would they know you'd only been in for a couple of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    There was a traveller on the radio last Wednesday coming in from England, who was only coming for 3 days.
    so is that ok or not?
    and if you were only coming in for a couple of days, what could they do to you? Would they stop you at the airport going back out? Would they know you'd only been in for a couple of days?

They have to complete the contract form and request you self isolate for 14 days, no interest in you on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    so is that ok or not?

That’s a good point actually. Even if the 14 day quarantine was mandatory, the only people who could realistically do it would be returning or repatriated citizens. As if anyone coming here on holidays for a weekend, 10 days or 2 weeks is coming over here purely to self isolate and then fly straight back home. If someone has a return ticket for less than 14 day’s time, I think it’s pretty obvious there’ll be zero self isolation so why should they be let into the country then if that’s the case. It’s time to end this charade. Either do it properly or not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

People are utterly stupid to allow themselves to be guilted into not travelling.

I'm starting to feel quite furious with this new Govt and was not impressed by Coveney telling people that by not travelling they'll be "doing their bit". What the hell does he think people have been doing since mid March!!!

This is all about politics, all about optics and a diversion from the political failure to have proper measures in place to enable people to carry out their democratic right to go abroad and the constant political failure to have a decent health service despite the huge taxes we all pay. Micheal Martin is petrified he won't do as well at handling Covid as Varadkar and his pipe dream is to do even better and he will if he can get poor aul Joe public to keep "doing his bit." What a pathetic useless shower they all are! :mad:

At this point people need to stop feeling guilty and make their own decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Spot on. If there is such a concern why haven't flights been cancelled? There is alot of shaming going on....Poor form to guilt trip Joe public.

It's a bit like the Catholic Church.... Fear.... Shame... Fear! !

Cancel flights... Normal people won't give up 3 or 4k worth of a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yep, about to board a lovely B777 aircraft for a 90 minute flight. Sitting in business class so will wait until the end of boarding to minimise the number of passengers who will walk past me, or maybe I shall be cheeky and jump into the totally empty First Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

smurfjed wrote: »
    Yep, about to board a lovely B777 aircraft for a 90 minute flight. Sitting in business class so will wait until the end of boarding to minimise the number of passengers who will walk past me, or maybe I shall be cheeky and jump into the totally empty First Class.

How full was the flight was eventually? Found info from cork and Dublin with half full planes.

On my way back from 4 days in Geneva seeing friends and doing some cycling. Highs in the low thirties by the lake, cooler in the mountains, and any serious cyclists here will know how good the riding is in this part of Switzerland / France, through fields of sunflowers and beautiful villages

Geneva is much like normal. Masks on public transport from yesterday and limited seating inside of bars and cafes. But apart from that, life is normal except for the city being quieter and people clearly spending more leisure time on the lakeside.

No quarantine on the way in and Switzerland has very low COVID infections. Aer Lingus to London maybe 1/3 full. Swiss, connecting through Heathrow, was full, but everyone wearing masks and being respectful (this is a Geneva crowd, not a Benidorm crowd!). Airports were a little busier than I thought they would be, but no issues re. crowding and my partner, who is more sensitive to I for social distancing, wasn’t bothered at all.

Feel so much better after 4 days in the heat and beauty of Lac Leman. More energetic and focussed now. Ready to isolate and get back to work....happy to do without the pub etc for a couple of weeks

Very happy that I went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

smurfjed wrote: »

I didn't know you could get a 90 minute flight business class? From where to where?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement