Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CMCXCV

At the moment, I don't expect to travel anywhere outside of Ireland for the remainder of this year and maybe not until Summer time or Christmas 2021. In the mean time tho, I'm going to do a few weekends away in Ireland instead. Always wanted to visit each County in Ireland and their "tourist spots" such as Clare for Cliffs of Moher etc. So me and the woman have decided on that now instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I didn't know you could get a 90 minute flight business class? From where to where?

A domestic flight within Saudi Arabia.

First class suites were empty, business had 20 out of 30 seats occupied, economy 130 out of 150, about another 150 seats blocked. Everybody wearing masks as its a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

CMCXCV wrote: »
    At the moment, I don't expect to travel anywhere outside of Ireland for the remainder of this year and maybe not until Summer time or Christmas 2021. In the mean time tho, I'm going to do a few weekends away in Ireland instead. Always wanted to visit each County in Ireland and their "tourist spots" such as Clare for Cliffs of Moher etc. So me and the woman have decided on that now instead.

Bring a raincoat and wellies. I'll be off to Italy late August and I can't wait for the plane to ascend the miserable grey clouds over Ireland and rise into the blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Totally agree Acquion. Sums up the Government position exactly.Shaming and setting people against one another. If you follow rules properly, does it matter where you are? I have to get away soon from this weather for my sanity and to see family in UK. They seem far more relaxed about the virus and are getting on with life safely too and radio stations are not preaching doom like here. We were better with Varadkar as Martin is terrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I didn't know you could get a 90 minute flight business class? From where to where?

Yea though that too, 90 minutes in Business class? What a waste, and on a 777??

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

What's the delay about regarding air bridges. Ireland being an island can turn off the spigot anytime.

Open up ta fcuk and get the country going again. When we had full travel and no information about the virus we still contained it.

I think the GFA is having a big impact on government decision. Lets say the UK still has high cases. Free movement of people and no border in the North is a must, so the government can't deny the UK access to (North)Ireland. If Ireland denies a EU member an air bridge and Don't/Can't stop the UK passengers coming with high case's then it wont sit well.

Some wise words here from Dr Jack Lambert a professor of medicine and infectious diseases, Mater and UCD School of Medicine

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/telling-people-not-to-travel-overseas-on-holiday-is-wrong-headed-1.4297275

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Some wise words here from Dr Jack Lambert a professor of medicine and infectious diseases, Mater and UCD School of Medicine

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/telling-people-not-to-travel-overseas-on-holiday-is-wrong-headed-1.4297275
    It is important that we find a middle ground and use a little common sense. We cannot continue isolation as a strategy. We cannot just wait and see what happens in other countries. We have to accept our current lives, as Covid-19 circulates worldwide, as the “new normal”.

There is no Covid-19 vaccine, no herd immunity, no hope for “cure” or even real effective treatments. At the moment, masks are the best “vaccine” ; and going on with our lives cautiously is the only solution as we wait for either the to virus die out (we all dream) or the magic vaccine, which I pray will be discovered but fear will never come.

Avoiding international travel whenever possible is always good advice. But to tell people to cancel their summer holidays and only take holidays in Ireland is a step too far. Will preventing travel result in us suppressing Covid-19 when we have ongoing circulation of the virus in Ireland in those who have never travelled?

We need to focus on what our current level of preparedness is when Covid-19 clusters flare up in Ireland, which they will. We need to continue educating our citizens on prevention. So be safe in everything you do. We cannot continue with lockdown, social distancing, and a ban on travel. We all must go on with our new lives and learn best practice as we go forward.

Sensible advice which has been lacking in the IT the past while. Killeen, McConckey and the other flat-curvers/anti-relaxers will fall over themselves reading such reckless words!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Sensible advice which has been lacking in the IT the past while. Killeen, McConckey and the other flat-curvers/anti-relaxers will fall over themselves reading such reckless words!

Has Harris tweeted his disapproval of this yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

hoping to come home to Ireland from the UK for two weeks in August to see friends and family.

The "green list" will be apparently judged on the number of new Covid-19 cases in the past 14 days (from the 6th to 20th July) and the number per 100,000 inhabitants must be close to or below the EU average.

Yesterday
    Rep of Ireland 517 cases per 100,000
    UK 420 cases per 100,000

What are the chances of the UK being on the green list ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Latest update on the radio from Eamon Ryan:

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0707/1151833-coronavirus-travel/
    The Minister for Transport has said a mandatory quarantine is not possible to enforce for those entering Ireland but stricter control measures are set to be introduced.

Eamon Ryan said those measures will include an electronic register and testing of some travellers.

Speaking on RTÉ's Today with Sarah McInerney, he said the advice remains that in the wider interests of public health it is best to stay in Ireland and not to travel abroad.

He said the Irish approach to Covid-19 is working and the quarantine measures in place are working, but authorities need to remain vigilant and continue to adapt, monitor and review the situation as more people start flying.

He said if the number of cases of Covid-19 rise as a result of international travel "we will have to tighten restrictions".

Minister Ryan said the Government will look to move from a paper to an electronic register for those coming into Ireland and this will allow a follow up service with text and phone calls to ensure compliance.

More in the article...

moritz1234 wrote: »
    hoping to come home to Ireland from the UK for two weeks in August to see friends and family.

The "green list" will be apparently judged on the number of new Covid-19 cases in the past 14 days (from the 6th to 20th July) and the number per 100,000 inhabitants must be close to or below the EU average.

Yesterday
    UK 420 cases per 100,000

There's no way that Ireland has had 517 cases per 100,000 on average each day in the last 14 days....

That would mean we had 25,000 cases a day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

spockety wrote: »
    There's no way that Ireland has had 517 cases per 100,000 on average each day in the last 14 days....

We haven’t had 517 cases in total in the last 2 weeks! Not sure we have had 200.

And no, I don’t think England will make the Green List.

spockety wrote: »

info is here

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Benimar wrote: »
    We haven’t had 517 cases in total in the last 2 weeks! Not sure we have had 200.

If cockney Joe or Tommy traveller flies or gets a ferry to the North of Ireland he can come to the Republic Willy Nilly, no forms, no isolation, no checks.

It can't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Ryans article is very interesting. "Anyone who booked in the last 6 months knew there was a risk". Ah sorry, Jan/Feb was very normal outlook. He basically says people don't deserve refunds and money should be spent in Ireland only. At least he is calling it as it is.

Total cases per one million of the population.
    68 Million UK
    5 Million Rep of Ireland

UK 4209 per one million cases
    Rep 5170 per one million cases

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Benimar wrote: »

Rough (very) count gives me 121 new cases (total) here in the last 14 days.

bladespin wrote: »
    Rough (very) count gives me 121 new cases (total) here in the last 14 days.

So if you have Covid-19 - how long does it last ? 14 days ?

So someone who has it on the 1st July will still have it on the 6th July for stats ?

Just trying to work out the criteria that will be used ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

So if you have Covid-19 - how long does it last ? 14 days ?

So someone who has it on the 1st July will still have it on the 6th July for stats ?

Just trying to work out the criteria that will be used ?

Just added up the new case numbers each day for the last 14 days (might have missed one, was a quick sum).

I doubt they would use active case numbers as to be removed from that you could need 2 or more negative tests in some areas (not sure how many here), also (rightly) new case testing gets priority over clearing those over the illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ryan is and was always a bellend. At least he is consistent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yesterday
    UK 420 cases per 100,000

I did a quick back of the envelope calculation based on past 7 days data per 100,000

Ireland approx 2
    Spain approx 5
    U.K. approx 7

Ryan is and was always a bellend. At least he is consistent.

The Govt/ policy is to blame the public for any failure of the health system to cope with testing and treatment of Covid. Led by Holohan who used his almost unlimited media exposure to push his narrative that we must all "don the green jersey"... and supported ever inch of the way by the Minister for the previous covid 18's Harris...
    And this statement by Ryan backs that up:
    He said most people who are taking flights now had booked "in the last six months", which he said is not appropriate when everyone knew there was a travel risk.

Apparently we were all supposed to know the risks of a completely new Virus back in January!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Govt/ policy is to blame the public for any failure of the health system to cope with testing and treatment of Covid. Led by Holohan who used his almost unlimited media exposure to push his narrative that we must all "don the green jersey"... and supported ever inch of the way by the Minister for the previous covid 18's Harris...
    And this statement by Ryan backs that up:

Apparently we were all supposed to know the risks of a completely new Virus back in January!?

Yeah I dont get why push the blame back to people when in January no pandemic was declared. People booked holidays in 2019 for 2020 as well. But like you say just blame the people call them selfish and whatever else. Its your own fault for booking flights before a pandemic etc etc

Honestly at this stage if someone wants to go on holiday just go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Honestly the more I read the crap from the Government the more pi**ed off I get! I'm a Healthcare worker and have spent that last 5 months at work - covering my own job as well as the jobs of 3 other people who were signed off as vulnerable.

All I want is a few days on a beach, with sun, a book and beer! But no, the Government and the HSE have decided I can't have that. I have to spend my holidays here in Ireland in the lashings of rain, costing a fortune, can't use a hotel spa (not opened yet), can't sit in the bar for a few beers - they aren't opened yet either! I can have a beer with my dinner though but can only stay 105 minutes. Jeez thanks!

Feck sake! :(

faceman wrote: »
    I did a quick back of the envelope calculation based on past 7 days data per 100,000

Ireland approx 2
    Spain approx 5
    U.K. approx 7

France is 8.

However, France are including French Guyana in their numbers even though it's in South America bordering Brazil.

When you take out the French Guyana numbers (where there is a huge outbreak, making up nearly half of 'France' numbers of the last 14 days), the number drops to 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

I was just thinking of all the health care workers who deserve one month off... Go to the sun for 2 weeks and Lockdown at home for 2 weeks.. At this stage the Government have made an arse of the whole situation. The weather here is just dreadful now. Irish ppl never holidayed in Ireland for 2 weeks... The Americans etc always did that.

The travel restrictions is manipulating ppl into feeling guilty about propping up Irish stay cations. Many many ppl booked holidays before any pandemic..

Dont let anyone guilt trip you into losing your hard earned money and enjoy the break away

Honestly the more I read the crap from the Government the more pi**ed off I get! I'm a Healthcare worker and have spent that last 5 months at work - covering my own job as well as the jobs of 3 other people who were signed off as vulnerable.

All I want is a few days on a beach, with sun, a book and beer! But no, the Government and the HSE have decided I can't have that. I have to spend my holidays here in Ireland in the lashings of rain, costing a fortune, can't use a hotel spa (not opened yet), can't sit in the bar for a few beers - they aren't opened yet either! I can have a beer with my dinner though but can only stay 105 minutes. Jeez thanks!

Feck sake! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

LilyShame wrote: »
    I was just thinking of all the health care workers who deserve one month off... Go to the sun for 2 weeks and Lockdown at home for 2 weeks.. At this stage the Government have made an arse of the whole situation. The weather here is just dreadful now. Irish ppl never holidayed in Ireland for 2 weeks... The Americans etc always did that.

The travel restrictions is manipulating ppl into feeling guilty about propping up Irish stay cations. Many many ppl booked holidays before any pandemic..

Dont let anyone guilt trip you into losing your hard earned money and enjoy the break away

Or you could think of it in a way that the Irish government would prefer if we didn’t travel to countries which we can’t monitor/track the interactions between people, so contract tracing becomes impossible.

If everyone stays in this country, we have the opportunity to limit the spread within the country, yes, there is a risk that people can travel into Ireland with covid, but if we don’t travel out and return there is less risk of it spreading within this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Or you could think of it in a way that the Irish government would prefer if we didn’t travel to countries which we can’t monitor/track the interactions between people, so contract tracing becomes impossible.

If everyone stays in this country, we have the opportunity to limit the spread within the country, yes, there is a risk that people can travel into Ireland with covid, but if we don’t travel out and return there is less risk of it spreading within this country.

How does this opinion sit with tourists arriving into Ireland? Before you say we "should" prevent them coming in, just to let you know we are not doing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement