Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If everyone stays in this country, we have the opportunity to limit the spread within the country, yes, there is a risk that people can travel into Ireland with covid, but if we don’t travel out and return there is less risk of it spreading within this country.

What's the end game on this then? Elimination? How long should we limit travel for?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    What's the end game on this then? Elimination? How long should we limit travel for?

The end game seems to be only allowing travel between countries where it has been completely eliminated. Is that possible or practical? Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Ryan would love to see less people going abroad anyway, he’ll be more anti aviation because of the climate change shyte.

Wonder what the chances of France getting on the green list, that’s if a list is published this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Ryan would love to see less people going abroad anyway, he’ll be more anti aviation because of the climate change shyte.

Wonder what the chances of France getting on the green list, that’s if a list is published this year.

There's only a handful of countries that would get onto the green list at the moment based off the sound bites we keep hearing. The likes of Spain, France etc probably wouldn't be on them. I really don't see it making much of a difference at this stage. People can make up their own minds if they want to go somewhere or not.

But sure look we must know something that everyone else in Europe doesn't, it's almost a month since travel began in the EU block again in decent numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

If everyone stays in this country, we have the opportunity to limit the spread within the country, yes, there is a risk that people can travel into Ireland with covid, but if we don’t travel out and return there is less risk of it spreading within this country.

The virus WILL never be eradicated unless we get a vaccine. So how long should we not travel for? Indefinately? You do realise a lot of people have family abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

If the risk is there with regards to travelling on a pre covid booked holiday....

why won't they ground flights?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭josip

LilyShame wrote: »
    If the risk is there with regards to travelling on a pre covid booked holiday....

why won't they ground flights?

Because then the insurance industry will have to pay out.
    And the insurance industry will look for the state to compensate them.
    And at this stage the state can't afford it.
    So they'll try to guilt the citizens into absorbing the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Honestly the more I read the crap from the Government the more pi**ed off I get! I'm a Healthcare worker and have spent that last 5 months at work - covering my own job as well as the jobs of 3 other people who were signed off as vulnerable.

All I want is a few days on a beach, with sun, a book and beer! But no, the Government and the HSE have decided I can't have that. I have to spend my holidays here in Ireland in the lashings of rain, costing a fortune, can't use a hotel spa (not opened yet), can't sit in the bar for a few beers - they aren't opened yet either! I can have a beer with my dinner though but can only stay 105 minutes. Jeez thanks!

Feck sake! :(

The airport is open, flights are coming and going.
    If you don't travel, that's your own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53320155

80% of people testing positive have no symptoms what-so-ever but the politicians and RTE don't want you going on your holidays.

The coming weeks, months and years will prove just how hysterical the overreaction to this virus has been - of course it will be far too late by then and countless billions will have been flushed down the toilet.

I'll be heading off for my 2-weeks away shortly. The attempted guilt-tripping from the fear-cave brigade is making it all the sweeter.

80% of people testing positive have no symptoms what-so-ever but the politicians and RTE don't want you going on your holidays.

The coming weeks, months and years will prove just how hysterical the overreaction to this virus has been - of course it will be far too late by then and countless billions will have been flushed down the toilet.

I'll be heading off for my 2-weeks away shortly. The attempted guilt-tripping from the fear-cave brigade is making it all the sweeter.

Nice cherry picking there. The actual quote from the article is:

"Only 22% of people testing positive for coronavirus reported having symptoms on the day of their test"

Enjoy your holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

ronoc wrote: »
    Nice cherry picking there. The actual quote from the article is:

"Only 22% of people testing positive for coronavirus reported having symptoms on the day of their test"

Enjoy your holidays.

yeah ,so they had covid and had no syptoms. they didnt catch it 2 minutes before they got tested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

d15ude wrote: »
    The airport is open, flights are coming and going.
    If you don't travel, that's your own decision.

Not quite so straight forward. The self isolation is now requiring many people to notify their employers and to take unpaid leave on their return. I have heard of places who are now asking this even where they have informed staff they will not be required to be physically in the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

A mandatory throat swab on every traveller would deter those who want to travel but don't need to travel.

One of those swabs that goes right to the sinus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Not quite so straight forward. The self isolation is now requiring many people to notify their employers and to take unpaid leave on their return. I have heard of places who are now asking this even where they have informed staff they will not be required to be physically in the office.

Unless things have changed dramatically there is no obligation to tell your employer (it's probably the right thing to do though). You are not obliged to take any unpaid leave on return, where did you make that up from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

bladespin wrote: »
    Unless things have changed dramatically there is no obligation to tell your employer (it's probably the right thing to do though). You are not obliged to take any unpaid leave on return, where did you make that up from?

We have to add 2 weeks onto our leave. Leave may not be approved as the service needs have to be looked at first to take into account the 2 week quarantine on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A mandatory throat swab on every traveller would deter those who want to travel but don't need to travel.

For me, it's the Karen's who've panic-canceled their holidays and now deeply begrudge other people going, that give me the most laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Certainly not made up - see above. I don’t agree with this approach, I think it is creating a new area of workplace disputes, and I would expect it is subject to challenge in the CJEU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tbf, the initial overreaction is somewhat justified. We now have evidence that the overall death rate in Ireland (and other countries who publish the data) did increase in April and May compared to the same periods in prior years. That means that C19 did cause additional deaths.

However as demonstrated by other countries and not Ireland, we must adapt to the new normal as a country and have plans and procedures to manage future outbreaks rather than blanket restrictions.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

For me, it's the Karen's who've panic-canceled their holidays and now deeply begrudge other people going, that give me the most laughs.

They must be the same Karen's commenting on the journal articles ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

The self isolation is only advise.
    Same as as you should not smoke or binge drink...

Why would I tell my employer where is go on holidays?
    That's none of his concern.

• Advertisement

We have to add 2 weeks onto our leave. Leave may not be approved as the service needs have to be looked at first to take into account the 2 week quarantine on return.
    Certainly not made up - see above. I don’t agree with this approach, I think it is creating a new area of workplace disputes, and I would expect it is subject to challenge in the CJEU.

This is not a legal requirement, the legistlation stating your obligation on re-entry has not been changed (yet) that is an requirement of your own employer, that, in itself is a change to your terms and conditions of employment; unless specifically stated in an agreement before the fact, if your employer has tried this underhand tactic I would recommend you seek advice.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Back in the 80s we had Pope JP and JFK adorning the mantle peice, now they'll have Tony and Leo :-[

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

This is not a legal requirement, the legistlation stating your obligation on re-entry has not been changed (yet) that is an requirement of your own employer, that, in itself is a change to your terms and conditions of employment; unless specifically stated in an agreement before the fact, if your employer has tried this underhand tactic I would recommend you seek advice.

I think the HSE takes a different view.

I think the HSE takes a different view.

Show me where please? I've checked the HSE website and the only legal requirement on re-entry that I'm aware of is that you complete the form, personally I would inform them but I'm not aware of a legal requirement to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

There's only a handful of countries that would get onto the green list at the moment based off the sound bites we keep hearing. The likes of Spain, France etc probably wouldn't be on them. I really don't see it making much of a difference at this stage. People can make up their own minds if they want to go somewhere or not.

But sure look we must know something that everyone else in Europe doesn't, it's almost a month since travel began in the EU block again in decent numbers.

To be fair, maybe we do know something. We’re doing the best in Europe at the moment with no further localised lockdowns. We’re practically fully opened up again internally. Maybe we should aim for a full opening up of the country, try and get kids back to school, which will in turn allow parents to get back to work. Would that not helping the economy more than the small amount of tourists we’ll get into the country compared to the usual numbers, and the amount of Irish holiday makers leaving the country to go to the sun.

We should concentrate on getting the kids back to school first and see how we fare with all pubs open, and then we should open up for travel

We should concentrate on getting the kids back to school first and see how we fare with all pubs open, and then we should open up for travel

We are open for travel, that's the thing, they're advising us not to while allowing those form other countries to come with no real restriction.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Ok so now we're moving beyond the begrudgery phase into the "let's torture them" phase :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

To be fair, maybe we do know something. We’re doing the best in Europe at the moment with no further localised lockdowns. We’re practically fully opened up again internally. Maybe we should aim for a full opening up of the country, try and get kids back to school, which will in turn allow parents to get back to work. Would that not helping the economy more than the small amount of tourists we’ll get into the country compared to the usual numbers, and the amount of Irish holiday makers leaving the country to go to the sun.

we're already open for travel, im in swords and have seen loads of Spanish/Italian looking people walking around with suitcases in the last few days.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    we're already open for travel, im in swords and have seen loads of Spanish/Italian looking people walking around with suitcases in the last few days.

They're grand, it's the red hat wearers that worry me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

d15ude wrote: »
    The self isolation is only advise.
    Same as as you should not smoke or binge drink...

Why would I tell my employer where is go on holidays?
    That's none of his concern.

You may have vulnerable or high risk coworkers - whatever about taking the chance for yourself, it's not on to hide it from your employer and put your coworkers unknowingly at risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement