Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭josip

That’s overall.

From the Irish Times article (6th July) below:

“We are already looking at an upsurge in Covid cases from international travel. A few months back 2 per cent of new cases were from international travel. It’s now 17 per cent of new cases,” he said. (Stephen Donnelly)

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/cabinet-extends-advice-to-avoid-nonessential-travel-until-july-20th-1.4297457%3fmode=amp

Which is it? Overall or from 2 months ago? Or both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

josip wrote: »
    Which is it? Overall or from 2 months ago? Or both?

Fair point. And taking away the cases from that well known holiday destination (Iraq) what percentage of the new cases are travel related?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

josip wrote: »
    Have you used the Covid App today?

M0unojd.png

Any idea the reason behind that 2nd wave spike in mid May?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Edo20

Any idea the reason behind that 2nd wave spike in mid May?

Was that not the Mater finding a load of test results "down the back of the couch"?.........ie test results compiled in early April but not sent on due to..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Fair point. And taking away the cases from that well known holiday destination (Iraq) what percentage of the new cases are travel related?

Probably during the middle of the pandemic it stayed at 2% as other countries were also locked down, so there probably wasn’t much change in that number. But in the past 2 weeks as travel started up again it went to 17%

Someone said on the thread we averaged 12 cases per day last week, so take 12 x 14 to get the average number of cases in a two week period (168) ... I think it was said 14 cases came from the Iraqi case.. that still leaves a lot of other travel cases that obviously weren’t made public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Probably during the middle of the pandemic it stayed at 2% as other countries were also locked down, so there probably wasn’t much change in that number. But in the past 2 weeks as travel started up again it went to 17%

Someone said on the thread we averaged 12 cases per day last week, so take 12 x 14 to get the average number of cases in a two week period (168) ... I think it was said 14 cases came from the Iraqi case.. that still leaves a lot of other travel cases that obviously weren’t made public

But travel from where exactly?? That's what hasn't been made clear.

Consider that today is only July 7th. Regular commercial flights only started back on July 1st. Here at home people couldn't go beyond 20km until June 29th. So it's far too early to say if ordinary holiday travel by Irish people has caused an increase. That won't be apparent for several more weeks.

acequion wrote: »
    But travel from where exactly?? That's what hasn't been made clear.

Consider that today is only July 7th. Regular commercial flights only started back on July 1st. Here at home people couldn't go beyond 20km until June 29th. So it's far too early to say if ordinary holiday travel by Irish people has caused an increase. That won't be apparent for several more weeks.

Could be anywhere! The Iraqi case made the news on 29th June, so obviously he travelled back a few days before that. If someone could fly in from Iraq before the 1st July, it obviously wasn’t too hard to get here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Still the percentage of cases sourced from foreign travel is not the real issue. The real problem is dealing with community transmission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

I'm heading to Luxembourg in August, on to Germany and eventually to Serbia. Cannae wait, gonna be a buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm heading to Luxembourg in August, on to Germany and eventually to Serbia. Cannae wait, gonna be a buzz.

Take your time getting to Serbia.
    It's gone t*ts up there in the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

If someone could fly in from Iraq before the 1st July, it obviously wasn’t too hard to get here
    Actually it was next to impossible to get to Ireland from Iraq until the DFA arranged repatriation flights at the end of June :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I only read the headline but I think Serbia is gone back into lockdown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I see a group school principals say they won't let kids who have been abroad back to school in Sept.

The same will go for themselves, teachers, cleaners, snas etc I assume (will it ****)

Off to Portugal 4 weeks today and when I come back, if my wee fella can't go to school, another teacher in my wife will be stuck home until they accept him back (or her if rules will be for all)

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

We're due to fly to Tenerife in the first week in August for 10 days. Travel Republic have contacted me that the remainder of my payment is due on July 22nd. If the DFA advise against non-essential travel to Spain on July 20th, do I still pay the remainder of the balance in the hope of getting a refund if we decide not to travel?

At the moment we are going, but my daughter is concerned as she is due to start Secondary school on August 24th and is worried she may not be able to attend if we have to self-isolate upon our return on August 15th. I don't believe schools will be open then, but it is a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We're due to fly to Tenerife in the first week in August for 10 days. Travel Republic have contacted me that the remainder of my payment is due on July 22nd. If the DFA advise against non-essential travel to Spain on July 20th, do I still pay the remainder of the balance in the hope of getting a refund if we decide not to travel?

At the moment we are going, but my daughter is concerned as she is due to start Secondary school on August 24th and is worried she may not be able to attend if we have to self-isolate upon our return on August 15th. I don't believe schools will be open then, but it is a concern.

If you decide not to travel you won't get a refund. Now maybe travel republic can reschedule to later in the year or next year if you want ?

There's a difference between the we advise against non essential travel and a do not travel warning.

Currently the warning is we advise against non essential travel, so its up to you.

If DFA issued a do not travel notice you'd get your money back but at this point that won't happen so its either go on holiday as planned, see if you can reschedule or don't go and you'll not be refunded.

Its the consumer as so often that's being fcuked over again

smurfjed wrote: »
    Actually it was next to impossible to get to Ireland from Iraq until the DFA arranged repatriation flights at the end of June :)

Fair enough. To be fair, Iraq wasn’t one of the countries labelled as one “to watch” on here. Just goes to show though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Pubs reopening won't stop junior going to school, but if you go on holidays to a safe country it will.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/parents-told-to-avoid-sun-holidays-for-a-safe-return-to-school-39349546.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Gardai have been told by higher ups that if they go on holidays abroad they'll have to self isolate for 14 days and the 14 days will come out of their annual leave.

Seems to be policy now across the public service

Pubs reopening won't stop junior going to school, but if you go on holidays to a safe country it will.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/parents-told-to-avoid-sun-holidays-for-a-safe-return-to-school-39349546.html

The concerted and organised effort to scare the population into not travelling is in full force.

Jack Lambert speaking much more sense with Jonathan Healy re. the risks of travel to European countries and living with COVID long term

Fair enough. To be fair, Iraq wasn’t one of the countries labelled as one “to watch” on here. Just goes to show though...

The DFA should have noticed that as the testing increased in Iraq, the case numbers increased, it looks like they are at 10% at this stage, test/cases. Also considering the Shia population and proximity to Iran, their cases were always going to increase.

Logically, while we have open travel within Europe, we should have focused isolation on passengers from certain countries.

• Advertisement

you are the only one who can decide which is more important for your family, couple weeks in Spain or your daughters education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Gardai have been told by higher ups that if they go on holidays abroad they'll have to self isolate for 14 days and the 14 days will come out of their annual leave.

Seems to be policy now across the public service

Such a slap in the face to their hard work over the last few months, along with healthcare. They were told to work out on the front lines when no-one knew what was coming, now told to lose their holiday money & go no where on their well deserved break because we couldn’t be arsed setting up proper screening & testing at Dublin airport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Such a slap in the face to their hard work over the last few months, along with healthcare. They were told to work out on the front lines when no-one knew what was coming, now told to lose their holiday money & go no where on their well deserved break because we couldn’t be arsed setting up proper screening & testing at Dublin airport.

they aren't losing their holiday pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

they aren't losing their holiday pay

You realise when the poster says 'holiday money' they are referring to the cost of a booked holiday not holiday pay. Surely that was obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

I see a group school principals say they won't let kids who have been abroad back to school in Sept.

The same will go for themselves, teachers, cleaners, snas etc I assume (will it ****)

Off to Portugal 4 weeks today and when I come back, if my wee fella can't go to school, another teacher in my wife will be stuck home until they accept him back (or her if rules will be for all)

where you've been on holiday is frankly none of the schools business, especially if it is on a green list by then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Will Switzerland be on the Green list I wonder? Non-EU admittedly but typically plenty connectivity between Ireland and there, cases have been consistently low.

Due to be there July 18th to 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The Govt/ policy is to blame the public for any failure of the health system to cope with testing and treatment of Covid. Led by Holohan who used his almost unlimited media exposure to push his narrative that we must all "don the green jersey"... and supported ever inch of the way by the Minister for the previous covid 18's Harris...
    And this statement by Ryan backs that up:

Apparently we were all supposed to know the risks of a completely new Virus back in January!?

Eamonn Ryan should apologise for that statement ("Anyone who booked in the last 6 months knew there was a risk"), which is a blatant fabrication of the truth and once again puts the blame back on ordinary decent people. You'd have to have had a degree in Epidemiology to have forseen this level of disruption four months ago, let alone six.

There was little shaming of people who broke the earlier travel restrictions and went beyond their 2km, 5km, 20km or county boundary limits. Reason has now gone out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I absolutely do not understand the government's plan. If they do lift the travel restrictions end of July, that will give all of Ireland exactly one month before summer ends in Europe to book and go on sun holidays - in a limited list of countries. There are a 1001 reasons why that will be utter stupidity.

If they will keep us locked down "not by law but passive-aggressively" then they should have made that clearer sooner.

It's just a complete disgrace all around and no one is holding them accountable.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Will Switzerland be on the Green list I wonder? Non-EU admittedly but typically plenty connectivity between Ireland and there, cases have been consistently low.

Due to be there July 18th to 21st

I was just in Geneva for a few days. Weather was beautiful and life was much like normal. The Swiss are more likely to import COVID infections from Ireland than the other way round. There is no reason at all why Switzerland shouldn't be on the green list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Another media hysteria. The guy in question is known for wildcat statements (he was one of the first to decide for his own school about the junior cert before any official statement) so it doesn't represent any official view of school leaders.
    He also only said it would be challenging. It was never mentioned about not letting kids back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement