Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Seamai wrote: »
    All I was saying was that a holiday abroad is pretty far down my list of priorities at this point in time, I wasn't indulging in any of the activities you've mentioned, you read my comments incorrectly.
    Getting a haircut is not a priority for me , but I understand that for others it is . See where I'm going with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

acequion wrote: »
    That is exactly the type of emotional blackmail and scaremongering that is being targeted at ordinary people and it's nothing short of disgraceful.:mad:

One thing i have learnt from this pandemic are some peoples true colours.

I have seen people ( treehuggers especially) on social media patting Covid on the back and commenting with moronic comments like “ well done covid 19” because it took planes out of the sky despite Covid killing thousands of people worldwide.

Also the lockdown for eva and doom merchants that try to put people down and wagging the finger at them because they long for restrictions to be removed so they can get some normality back in their lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

The_Brood wrote: »
    1) A "sunny holiday" is a critical mental health issue for many.

Overdramatic much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Getting a haircut is not a priority for me , but I understand that for others it is . See where I'm going with this?

Well I suppose for me having all this time off,(and yes there were times when boredom was an issue) is it's given me a lot of time to think and put things in perspective and some things that were important 6 or 12 months ago have slipped way down my list of priorities. I have a passion for travelling, I love going to new places, trying new things, going outside my comfort zone and I'm looking forward to doing it again, hopefully in a few months time but just not at the moment.
    At no point did I criticize anyone for wanting to travel, it's just not for me right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I've decided to book a long weekend in the south of France for the end of August to see friends who I usually visit once a year. The flights are very cheap so no big deal if they get cancelled.

If France is on the green list, I see no reason not to travel. If there is a surge of cases in France or here between now and then I'll reconsider, but for the moment I don't see why I shouldn't go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭bladespin

Overdramatic much?

Not really, many like to work toward a goal or reward, for some (myself definitely included) having that goal removed is quite a set-back, not going snowflake but I do feel very down at the thought that I might not get a holiday this year, it's been a fair slog for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Anybody know if Ryanair are requiring young children to mask up for flights???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The complete lack of calls for banning flights from the US across any media publication or twitter account of politicians, HSE, CMO etc. is telling and I would hope people see through the fear-mongering nonsensical calls for Irish people not to fly abroad, noting this hypocrisy. There's cheap flights to be had it seems, mine to Germany in August were EUR 100 return!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The complete lack of calls for banning flights from the US across any media publication or twitter account of politicians, HSE, CMO etc. is telling and I would hope people see through the calls for Irish people not to fly abroad. There's cheap flights to be had it seems, mine to Germany in August were EUR 100 return!

Italy €65 return August 3rd to the 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

ZX7R wrote: »
    Anybody know if Ryanair are requiring young children to mask up for flights???

I don't think under 6 has to but every child I saw was wearing a mask.
    For their own safety, it's prob best that they do.
    The more concerning thing is people who think a mask hanging off their chin is correct procedure.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    The more concerning thing is people who think a mask hanging off their chin is correct procedure.

My family and I are leaving Ireland in two weeks.
    My son is special needs he is unable to wear a mask.
    I have a medical cert for him and a official letter from the medical team that dealt with him.
    Hopefully it will suffice for Ryanair.
    The rest of the family will be wearing masks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

TheDriver wrote: »
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

its not for your own safety, its to reduce the amount of virus in the air, and if everyone does it then everyone wins.
    The problem too with corona are the super spreader incidents where 1 person infects loads (in comparison, only 15% of people living with an infected person get it, so its not that contageous most of the time), and that can be nipped in the bud by everyone wearing masks and presuming you may be the next super spreader

Which is masks need to be compulsorary , or just dont bother

Found information on Ryanairs terms and conditions.
    From tomorrow the 9th of July 2020 Ryanair dac article 7
    Children under 12 are not required to wear a mask.
    If you suffer a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask you will be exempt from wearing a mask only on submission of a medical cert attesting to your condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Great discussion. Good to know that others have same opinion of this new Governments kicking the can as I have. We don’t need direction for everything. These decisions are for each individual. Good luck to all whether in Ireland or Europe for holidays.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

We all want a sunny holiday but is it worth the risk? Ireland is doing so well and for now we should consider our health, the health of our relatives etc and maybe say no to a foreign holiday for now. Where I live is doing so well at the moment and it would be disappointing to see a surge.

Where in Ireland are you?

There are parts of Spain with no coronavirus at present including popular areas with Irish tourists. My area hasn’t had a hospitalised case since May 5th.

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Great discussion. Good to know that others have same opinion of this new Governments kicking the can as I have. We don’t need direction for everything. These decisions are for each individual. Good luck to all whether in Ireland or Europe for holidays.

It's not a holiday for my family,
    It necessity the only hope I have to give my son some hope of help and take some responsibility from his twin sister having to look after him later in life.
    Sorry for rambling not for this tread ,
    bloody covid-19 it really has turned everyone's life upside down some more than others.
    On the plus side I am looking forward to holidays here in Ireland next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

This thread makes me sick. I cannot believe the selfishness of posters thinking their desire for a sun holiday trumps other people's safety.

The virus is not gone. We have made good progress. This is down to the collective effort of the community.

The defence that other people are arriving from overseas does not justify you doing the same thing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Katgurl wrote: »
    This thread makes me sick. I cannot believe the selfishness of posters thinking their desire for a sun holiday trumps other people's safety.

The virus is not gone. We have made good progress. This is down to the collective effort of the community.

The defence that other people are arriving from overseas does not justify you doing the same thing.

Welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

If it's really dangerous to travel, than it should be banned.
    Or at least there should be a regulated and enforced system.
    As long as there are no rules, everybody's free to make up their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

And what about all the people planning on going to packed hotels in Ireland in August where bars, lobbys and restaurants will be full to the gills? Or the beaches in Cork, Kerry, Wexford and other places that will be full of people and no social distancing being enforced? Or the shops, supermarkets and public transport where wearing of masks isn't compulsory?

I'm happy to be going to Spain where the area has far fewer cases in recent weeks, I'll be staying in a private house with access to a car, beaches are strictly enforcing social distancing and limits put on the number of people allowed on the beach. Added to that it's compulsory to wear masks when social distancing can't be done and again is strictly enforced with on the spot fines.

In my view I'll be safer there for the 8 nights than I would be in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It’s worth reading through the thread, if you haven’t done so already

There are plenty of parts of the EU, including popular tourist spots which have less (and in some cases far less) cases of C19 than Ireland.

All of the EU bar Ireland is currently allowing intra EU travel. (With some small exceptions)

The area of Spain I’m in (I’m not here on holiday) is coastal and hasn’t had a hospitalised case of C19 since may 5th. The hospital for the area had less than 50 cases in total admitted throughout the crisis.

My town had 0 cases. The town next to me had 7.

I can produce plenty of stats and research on travel and C19

The ECDC and WHO have plenty of published articles and journals on the topic.

You are correct, Ireland allowing any traveller in regardless of country of origin doesn’t justify Irish people taking risky behaviour. For many area there is little to no risk with travelling.

Incidentally you can’t help but wonder the reason why the Irish government is strongly discouraging all overseas travel, promoting staycations (is that in their remit?) while allowing incoming tourists is part of a greater scheme to keep money in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Absolutely!

I feel the same when I see people driving. Don't people realise that they can knock pedestrians down! Hundreds of people killed every year. It's a fcuking outrage!

Just walk you selfish bastards!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Discover Ireland marketing campaign seems to have come out online the past day or two. Its so blatant that the government policy is not based on actual health data as they would've banned flights from the US. Their own policy position is, as follows;

1. Create fear campaign about flying abroad in media and on twitter.
    2. Delay publishing flight green list until a month before summer holidays are over.
    3. Launch Discover Ireland campaign.
    4. Hope 1, 2 and 3 have lead big numbers choosing to holiday at home instead of abroad.
    5. 20 July, publish green list of countries where no quarantine is required, 1 month after EU countries did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

RoryMac wrote: »
    And what about all the people planning on going to packed hotels in Ireland in August where bars, lobbys and restaurants will be full to the gills? Or the beaches in Cork, Kerry, Wexford and other places that will be full of people and no social distancing being enforced? Or the shops, supermarkets and public transport where wearing of masks isn't compulsory?

I'm happy to be going to Spain where the area has far fewer cases in recent weeks, I'll be staying in a private house with access to a car, beaches are strictly enforcing social distancing and limits put on the number of people allowed on the beach. Added to that it's compulsory to wear masks when social distancing can't be done and again is strictly enforced with on the spot fines.

In my view I'll be safer there for the 8 nights than I would be in Ireland

yeah absolutely spot on here, the doom merchants dont want to hear this though.

faceman wrote: »

Incidentally you can’t help but wonder the reason why the Irish government is strongly discouraging all overseas travel, promoting staycations (is that in their remit?) while allowing incoming tourists is part of a greater scheme to keep money in the country

I think it absolutely is just part of keeping money in the country.

There is no other reason I can think of as to why we would be the only European country to be advising against all overseas travel (to low risk countries) while also being the only European country to be happily waving in Americans (from a high risk country).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I plan to travel to France at the end of August. I don't have a careless attitude towards the virus. I always wear a mask in shops and public transport even though I am often the only one doing so. I practice social distancing and cough etiquette.

But I am also not blindly following the travel advice of public officials without a critical eye, especially as it contradicts what is happening across the EU and the ECDC's recommendations.

It is impossible to believe Ireland is following expert advice that other EU countries have chosen to ignore.

There are of course going to be travel related cases but in the own words of the ECDC, these will be a "negligible minority of the cases". Only a tiny minority of plane journeys result in plane crashes but should we ban all planes just so we can reduce the quantity of plane crashes to zero.

For example, France has had its borders open since 15 June and the rate of new cases has not changed significantly since the beginning of May. There have been some changes here and there but not a giant surge of new cases, and the pattern of the curve has remained consistent.

I'd also point out that a person importing COVID into Ireland now is a lot different to someone doing so back in March and April when society was still coming to terms with how to respond to the crisis and social distancing, thorough hand hygiene and mask wearing were still a novelty.

It is about personal responsibility. Wearing a mask, proper hygiene and social distancing is the worldwide recognized way to reduce the risk of an infected person passing on the virus. This is the case whether that infected person caught the virus at home or abroad.

If the situation changes, or the EU or ECDC advocates for stronger measures or travel bans, or if the situation in Ireland or France worsens, or travel becomes a major cause of new cases, I will cancel my trip. As the situation is at the moment, I don't see why travel shouldn't be allowed with the appropriate precautions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

We all want a sunny holiday but is it worth the risk? Ireland is doing so well and for now we should consider our health, the health of our relatives etc and maybe say no to a foreign holiday for now. Where I live is doing so well at the moment and it would be disappointing to see a surge.

I'm sitting by a pool with lots of German and Spanish. None of them worried about the tiny risk. But then again, they don't have incompetent governments trying to guilt shame them into not travelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Dante7 wrote: »
    I'm sitting by a pool with lots of German and Spanish. None of them worried about the tiny risk. But then again, they don't have incompetent governments trying to guilt shame them into not travelling.

Some view of that Lifeguard ya durty beggar

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I'm ok with low risk travel, but that for me looks a bit more than I'd be willing to risk right now.

For what it's worth, if that was a picture taken in Ireland I'd also be asking questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So will it be the governments fault if god forbid you catch c19 and then bring it back to Ireland?
    Not wishing it on you in any way, but I mean you’ve taken a risk to travel abroad and that’s not the governments fault, so I don’t know why your saying they are incompetent. They certainly are Incompetent in letting USA tourists in (can’t do a lot about uk tourists) into the country, but I don’t see how you going away and potentially bringing it back, or you going away and bringing it with you, makes the government incompetent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement