Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

So in a far better place than April last.

Currently in a worse position since May 29

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/spain-covid-19-cases-spike-to-highest-level-post-lockdown/1906373

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

scrips wrote: »
    First the article says we 'must' self-isolate children who are abroad and then it says parents are 'urged' to self-isolate their children for 14 days. Which is it, I wonder. More wishy-washy directions?

It will only be advice. It is completely unenforceable. The article talsk about 'guidelines' - so it's a load of bollox.

The schools doesn't have any right to know your holiday plans and I won't be telling them.

This is a sustained campaign of attempted guilt-tripping and fear-mongering to try and get parents to cancel their holidays without giving them the ability to claim a refund.

The sad thing is it will work with a lot of parents - I feel sorry for them being bullied by a government into giving up thousands of euros they probably saved very hard for.

At this stage I'd go just to spite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

The sad thing is it will work with a lot of parents - I feel sorry for them being bullied by a government into giving up thousands of euros they probably saved very hard for.

At this stage I'd go just to spite them.

Well it’s working on my wife. She’s afraid that if my daughter goes back into class on the 27th with a deep chocolate tan - which she’ll have regardless of a 14 day isolation, she’s 50% Spanish 50% Italian - she’ll be shamed, isolated or worse bullied.
    Happens to a kid last year who brought lice into the classroom. The mother told the teacher to alert her of the issue and the teacher told the class.
    If the government of this country believes the risk is so high then outright ban travel. Enough with this wish washy, back and forth, hawks vs doves. Make it clear for people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's the worst kind of inaction and lack of leadership, we had Holohan practically running the country for a few months while Leo skipped around doing photo ops and sunbathing with his bessies in the park.

Now we have a 14 day isolation policy in place that's a blanket ban on tourists from any country, even those with far less deaths and infections than Ireland... It doesn't discriminate, just keeps everyone from Brazilians to Icelanders out. Further killing the tourist sector and shedding jobs.

Family groups are all but resigned now to not having a holiday this summer, the longer this is dragged out the less will go, Government by wearing people down!

Does anyone know how the incoming tourists are being monitored as i do not know how it is possible to tell a family at Dublin Airport they have to stay indoors for 2 weeks.
    For us Irish all they need do is take our address and we can be monitored by who.
    I said before the EU should have given clear travel direction.
    Now we have Airlines doing as they please it seems, we then have different Governments having different guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

faceman wrote: »
    An example of how serious C19 is taken here in Spain compared to Ireland. Was in the local Decathlon earlier. There was a lad (estimate in his 40’s) walking around with his face mask on wrong. It wasn’t covering his nose. Security guard asked him to put it on problem. He refused and in English told him he had a medical condition. Security wasn’t phased and formed up the rules then said something in Spanish that I couldn’t make out.

Suddenly the bloke’s medical condition magically went away and he put his mask on properly.

This is a reason why I feel much safer here than in Ireland.

I know people to travel this week, their concern is how the local Spanish will react to them coming as they not know what the routine there.
    They are to stay in a friends house and will fallow whatever needed, they will not be using transport except for plane.
    Would it be ok for them to travel, they will cancel if necessary as the and the owners of the house do not want to upset neighbors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

faceman wrote: »
    An example of how serious C19 is taken here in Spain compared to Ireland. Was in the local Decathlon earlier. There was a lad (estimate in his 40’s) walking around with his face mask on wrong. It wasn’t covering his nose. Security guard asked him to put it on problem. He refused and in English told him he had a medical condition. Security wasn’t phased and formed up the rules then said something in Spanish that I couldn’t make out.

Suddenly the bloke’s medical condition magically went away and he put his mask on properly.

This is a reason why I feel much safer here than in Ireland.

Yep, I absolutely would as well. There's such a snowflake 'I'm special' culture in the UK and to a lesser extent, Ireland. People refusing to wear masks because 'I get anxious' or 'I don't like my face being covered', as if anyone f**king likes it. The Spanish have no time for that bollix. If you're so sick and fragile that you can't wear a bit of cloth over your face for 10 minutes, then why are you out and about during a pandemic? The minority with genuine medical conditions should be exempt, and protected by the rest of us wearing them, but the 'I get anxious' crowd can get to f**k with their entitled rubbish. Their anxiety doesn't outweigh everyone else's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

I’m travelling to Ibiza on 8th of August. Do you think that the quarantine will be lifted next week when they review it on 20th July?

Are you going away soon and debating weather to go or not?

I’m travelling to Ibiza on 8th of August. Do you think that the quarantine will be lifted next week when they review it on 20th July?

The only thing you are legally required to do is fill in a form on return - you do not have to quarantine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I was all systems go to travel all summer. However the good has been totally sucked out of it now. It’s a combination of the 2 week quarantine, the pariah like status that will greet us in return, the tut tutting by the twitchers, the uncertainty around regulations where we’d go eg If face masks suddenly became compulsory that would put me right off.

I won’t be holidaying in Ireland either. No way am I getting price gouged in the rain on the wet coast. If I want to sit in looking at the rain or check out scenery in the mist I can do that comfortably from my own home.

What I don’t get is people who cancelled this year but confidently explain that they’ll go next year. Can someone tell me other than a vaccine appearing what will be different next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

The only thing you are legally required to do is fill in a form on return - you do not have to quarantine.

I know this, but I work in the airport so can’t really go back after 5 days and give the virus(if I have it) to my colleagues, that wouldn’t be fair! So if the restrictions aren’t lifted then I wouldn’t go.

I know this, but I work in the airport so can’t really go back after 5 days and give the virus(if I have it) to my colleagues, that wouldn’t be fair! So if the restrictions aren’t lifted then I wouldn’t go.

What have the restrictions bring lifted and the chances of giving the virus to your colleagues to do with one another?

Do you think the virus is keeping an eye on what the Irish Govt are proposing before deciding whether to infect you or not?

I was all systems go to travel all summer. However the good has been totally sucked out of it now. It’s a combination of the 2 week quarantine, the pariah like status that will greet us in return, the tut tutting by the twitchers, the uncertainty around regulations where we’d go eg If face masks suddenly became compulsory that would put me right off.

I won’t be holidaying in Ireland either. No way am I getting price gouged in the rain on the wet coast. If I want to sit in looking at the rain or check out scenery in the mist I can do that comfortably from my own home.

What I don’t get is people who cancelled this year but confidently explain that they’ll go next year. Can someone tell me other than a vaccine appearing what will be different next year?

Zero difference - there is no logic at play here, nor has there been from the very start.

Why you would let the curtain-twitchers stop you going on holiday baffles me, I literally couldn't give a fcuk what some nosy Karen thinks about my holiday plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Zero difference - there is no logic at play here, nor has there been from the very start.

Why you would let the curtain-twitchers stop you going on holiday baffles me, I literally couldn't give a fcuk what some nosy Karen thinks about my holiday plans.

It’s just the hassle of returning to work etc that really is putting me off. I’m not really in a position to WFH for 2 weeks, my wife certainly can’t and it’s dealing with the ****e that’ll bring. I reiterate though why are people saying they’ll go next year but not this? What’s the difference?

It’s just the hassle of returning to work etc that really is putting me off. I’m not really in a position to WFH for 2 weeks, my wife certainly can’t and it’s dealing with the ****e that’ll bring. I reiterate though why are people saying they’ll go next year but not this? What’s the difference?

You're not under any obligation to tell your workplace what you do in your private life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭1123heavy

I am going on holiday to the med next week and nobody will stop me. Lockdown went on for far too long and it's time we sorted ourselves out.

The government established an aviation taskforce to advise it on its approach to aviation and travel in Ireland, then they proceeded to ignore all the recommendations of said taskforce. The lunacy is astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

1123heavy wrote: »
    I am going on holiday to the med next week and nobody will stop me. Lockdown went on for far too long and it's time we sorted ourselves out.

The government established an aviation taskforce to advise it on its approach to aviation and travel in Ireland, then they proceeded to ignore all the recommendations of said taskforce. The lunacy is astounding.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why America is up shït creek.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why America is up shït creek.

After weeks of protests with thousands bunched right up against each other during a pandemic, we are now starting to see the results.

What does that have to do with people in Ireland going for 2 weeks holiday? Wearing masks while travelling, no close or physical contact with anyone but family, following all necessary protocols in each establishment and applying common sense such as washing hands regularly etc.

Sorry but no, this has as much to do with the US's surge in cases as does what I'm having for lunch today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Same. The quarantine has been lifted here in the UK and I was WFH anyway so it wouldn't have been that much of a problem, but I just can't be arsed, really. I think it would be so much faff and worry that I wouldn't enjoy it properly. Constantly trying to remember to use hand gel, wash your hands after touching anything....it feels silly to spend hard earned money on something which is likely to end up being pretty stressful. It seems more sensible to keep saving as hard as I can for a flat deposit or something else substantial.

Then again, I'm getting so fed up with this entire situation that I may do a total U turn on this and just throw caution to the wind. Who knows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I know people to travel this week, their concern is how the local Spanish will react to them coming as they not know what the routine there.
    They are to stay in a friends house and will fallow whatever needed, they will not be using transport except for plane.
    Would it be ok for them to travel, they will cancel if necessary as the and the owners of the house do not want to upset neighbors.

The Spanish will be totally fine as long as they follow the rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

MM is even worse than Varadkar...total joke,completely spineless.
    I'd say this idiotic quarintine would be with us next 2021 year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

What does that have to do with people in Ireland going for 2 weeks holiday?

People who are going on holiday regardless of government advice aren't really concerned what advice there is regarding travel, they just want the goverment to approve their travels.

It may not have been handled very well, but the advice has been "do not make unnecessary trips". Whether people should travel or not is up to them, but arguments like "Americans are coming over here" or "Slovakians can travel to Greece, why can't we?" aren't the most relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭TG001

Does anyone know if it has been officially verified that you will lose COVID payment if travelling abroad? Lots of speculation and hearsay but no solid facts?
    My sister living in Spain is due her second baby In 2 weeks and I have booked to go over to her for 2 weeks to help her out with both babies. I have been laid off work until September so no problem self isolating when I return ect but now just hearing that I will lose 4 weeks COVID payment I simply cannot afford this and we are very unsure what to do.
    I understand travelling abroad is a very hot topic at the minute and everyone has a different opinion on it and I’m finding it hard to find any fact based info from anybody. We Would just like to come to an informed decision and ensure my sister has time to make other arrangements if I decide not to travel. Even if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be very great fully appreciated!

TG001 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it has been officially verified that you will lose COVID payment if travelling abroad? Lots of speculation and hearsay but no solid facts?
    My sister living in Spain is due her second baby In 2 weeks and I have booked to go over to her for 2 weeks to help her out with both babies. I have been laid off work until September so no problem self isolating when I return ect but now just hearing that I will lose 4 weeks COVID payment I simply cannot afford this and we are very unsure what to do.

You need to travel via Belfast. Flying out of Dublin is most likely not to be an issue but when you hand in the locator form upon your return they will use it to cut the payment.

Polar101 wrote: »
    It may not have been handled very well, but the advice has been "do not make unnecessary trips". Whether people should travel or not is up to them, but arguments like "Americans are coming over here" or "Slovakians can travel to Greece, why can't we?" aren't the most relevant.

I made no such arguments, what are you talking about? I said the government set up a taskforce to guide its decisions via recommendations, it made recommendations and then the government ignored them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

TG001 wrote: »
    I understand travelling abroad is a very hot topic at the minute and everyone has a different opinion on it and I’m finding it hard to find any fact based info from anybody. We Would just like to come to an informed decision and ensure my sister has time to make other arrangements if I decide not to travel. Even if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be very great fully appreciated!

There has been no definition of 'essential travel' provided by the Dept but I would think you have an argument that it is. A relative needs support and would need to source this support from elsewhere if you did not travel. Of course none of this has been tested.

I don't believe that the Covid form you complete when you return to Ireland can be shared with dept of social welfare as this is not the intended use of the document and nowhere on the document does it state that it can be shared with any other dept. GDPR exists for this very reason. It's a contact tracing form and nothing else.

I think this empty threat of the covid payment being stopped is another lazy and nasty way of discouraging people from traveling without addressing the issue of refunding flights. That's my theory anyway.

There has been no definition of 'essential travel' provided by the Dept but I would think you have an argument that it is. A relative needs support and would need to source this support from elsewhere if you did not travel. Of course none of this has been tested.

I don't believe that the Covid form you complete when you return to Ireland can be shared with dept of social welfare as this is not the intended use of the document and nowhere on the document does it state that it can be shared with any other dept. GDPR exists for this very reason. It's a contact tracing form and nothing else.

I think this empty threat of the covid payment being stopped is another lazy and nasty way of discouraging people from traveling without addressing the issue of refunding flights. That's my theory anyway.

With all due respect, this is not the time for conspiracies. There is absolute truth in COVID payments being stopped.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pandemic-unemployment-payment-coronavirus-travel-22303481

All it takes is one person at passport control in Dublin to ask you if you are making any COVID payments and you are in trouble. All it takes is for revenue/customs to do spot checks (as they have done numerous times in the past 3 months in the airport and ports) and you are done. The stories of people being spot checked and having their COVID payment stopped are endless.

If you wish to tell the government you have been abroad (in the form of the locator sheet) whilst simultaenously claiming to revenue you never left the country ... good luck, GDPR or nor GDPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

With all due respect, this is not the time for conspiracies. There is absolute truth in COVID payments being stopped.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/pandemic-unemployment-payment-coronavirus-travel-22303481

All it takes is one person at passport control in Dublin to ask you if you are making any COVID payments and you are in trouble. All it takes is for revenue/customs to do spot checks (as they have done numerous times in the past 3 months in the airport and ports) and you are done. The stories of people being spot checked and having their COVID payment stopped are endless.

If you wish to tell the government you have been abroad (in the form of the locator sheet) whilst simultaenously claiming to revenue you never left the country ... good luck, GDPR or nor GDPR.

Absolutely agree that you should not lie or try to defraud social welfare. They correctly caught a large number of recipients who had left the country and were not valid recipients, as per payment rules. But only recently was the supposed rule about payments being stopped as a result of foreign travel actually introduced, and as far as I know there has been no formal communication to PUP recipients. The Mirror definitely does not count.

Only recently the dept required recipients to reconfirm eligibility (when are you back to work etc) and (again as far as I know) there was no requirement to confirm there would be no foreign travel. So I wonder if this is a formal policy or not. Fair enough if it is.

I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy theory to say that various government departments are shirking some of their responsibility to deal with the issue of foreign travel and making spurious statements as a result. Wasn't someone only recently suggesting putting people in quarantine in hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

So looking at the amount of Covid cases per day in other EU countries and the general upward or downward trend I would guess that we will have the following on the Green list

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland, Greece, Italy, Hungary, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Slovenia, Malta, Cyprus, Denmark, Austria

Doubtful - Spain, Poland, France, Luxembourg

Not a hope -Sweden, Romania, Bulgaria, Portugal, Croatia

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

deckie66 wrote: »
    So looking at the amount of Covid cases per day in other EU countries and the general upward or downward trend I would guess that we will have the following on the Green list

Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland, Greece, Italy, Hungary, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Slovenia, Malta, Cyprus, Denmark, Austria

Doubtful - Spain, Poland, France, Luxembourg

Not a hope -Sweden, Romania, Bulgaria, Portugal,
    Croatia

All hassle avoided by travelling to the North and moving on to the Republic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement