Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

scrips wrote: »
    Whole point of a green list is that those countries are as safe to travel to as Ireland, is it not? But the 'your children are not going back to school if you've been abroad' stick is a very convenient one to beat people with.

Looking out at our fourth day of rain in seven days, from our shoebox of a house in the west of Ireland. The mood is very low in our family. Had thankfully fine sunny day on Saturday, went to a local popular tourist site and the lack of social distancing in the queue was remarkable, a properly distanced queueing system hadn't been set up at all. At least it was outdoors.

No doubt it will but it won't, typical government approach.

Hope it picks up for ye, the weather is the worst part tbh, I'd pay the high prices for an Irish hol if we could guarantee that or be happy with a cheapy hol with dodgy weather, unfortunately neither is really an option here. Beautiful countryside though plenty to see form the car, if you're near it visit the Sky road near Clifden.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

It’s a choice between mental problems with this weather and constant gloom on radio etc. and or travel. Martin being a teacher is obviously using the schools as excuse for caution. We are all cautious but enforcement is ridiculous here. My brother is Boston cannot get into shops without a mask. Plain and simple. European countries are not inviting US travelers in. Ireland is and then treating them as leper’s while here. People afraid to visit family in UK. Save us from these countries which enforce laws!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Micky 32 wrote: »
    My prediction is it won’t be in effect until well into August, that’s if they do a green list this year at all. They don’t want families travelling before going back to school.

We got an email from our smallies school

- 'The Department have stated that any children travelling abroad will have to self isolate for 2 weeks before returning to school, please keep this in mind and inform the school at xxx'

We had already cancelled our trip this summer, but I can't see there being a green list at all at this rate.

pc7 wrote: »

- 'The Department have stated that any children travelling abroad will have to self isolate for 2 weeks before returning to school, please keep this in mind and inform the school at xxx'

We had already cancelled our trip this summer, but I can't see there being a green list at all at this rate.

The government is doing a great job in getting schools and businesses to do their job for them. As well as getting society animated enough that it becomes a social stigma to travel. Cowardly, in my opinion, and socially divisive in the long run, as we are not pulling behind one ideal, but instead ratting on each other

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

We haven't received any guidance as yet, I'm not too sure how the dept can enforce this (or anything) if they can't enforce distancing etc at school, I'd be firing back to get their own house in order before judging mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

bladespin wrote: »
    We haven't received any guidance as yet, I'm not too sure how the dept can enforce this (or anything) if they can't enforce distancing etc at school, I'd be firing back to get their own house in order before judging mine.

I'm sure they can't, we'd already decided to cancel so didn't really matter, just don't see how they will police it. The whole thing stinks, I still don't have my refund from cancelled flights, its just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Where have they stated it? It's not obvious on the Dept's website. One of the papers reported that the Dept was 'asking' people. Which is fine, they can ask and if what they are asking seems logical and reasonable I will oblige.

Where have they stated it? It's not obvious on the Dept's website. One of the papers reported that the Dept was 'asking' people. Which is fine, they can ask and if what they are asking seems logical and reasonable I will oblige.

No clue, just the email we received

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

And when this guidance from the school goes against the green list travel country freedoms the proverbial poo poo will hit the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'd be surprised if every teacher in the country stays in Ireland for the 14 days prior to resumption of term.
    It will be interesting to see what happens those that are away during this period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

I can't link but interesting report on the IT website today on a new UK antibody study.

Research suggests that antibodies disappear very quickly post recovery and this could have huge knock on implications for vaccine development.

Covid could become a recurring seasonal illness and one could become infected year after year.

Scary stuff and obviously requires lots more research.

If proved correct however it would really put a serious question mark over any consideration given to repeated lockdowns and travel restrictions.

Damiencm wrote: »
    I can't link but interesting report on the IT website today on a new UK antibody study.

Research suggests that antibodies disappear very quickly post recovery and this could have huge knock on implications for vaccine development.

Covid could become a recurring seasonal illness and one could become infected year after year.

If proved correct however it would really put a serious question mark over any consideration given to repeated lockdowns and travel restrictions.

My understanding is that that is the standard trajectory of antibodies for all coronavirus, abs the basic principle under which all vaccines will be being developed. Whichever one is successful will likely need an annual booster for all vulnerable people, like our flu jab

I don’t think it is new news

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

I know the Department of Ed were in oireachtas saying just that...parents to not send kids back until 14 days done in quarantine. I know In my work they have emailed saying... With anticipation of lifting on 20th if your planning to travel... Please let your manager know and continue to work remotely in your return. Don't enter work building for 2 weeks but continue to work.

The thing is.... I don't think travelling will be any different next year... We will now always have to Don masks in eateries etc.

I think the above communications must suggest they are going to somehow lift the essential travel advice on dfa... Yet all travellers to do 14 days at home on their return.... It will be some weird contradictory yoke released on Friday.

At this stage I don't see the local holiday locations doing any better out of this for July or August...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Some school going solo I’d say.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Just got an email off my kids school saying 2 weeks isolation needed on return from abroad.

Went ahead and booked a flight home to Belfast on 22nd instead of coming into Dublin on 21st.

Problem solved as I wont tell them he was away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Just got an email off my kids school saying 2 weeks isolation needed on return from abroad.

Went ahead and booked a flight home to Belfast on 22nd instead of coming into Dublin on 21st.

Why did you need to go to Belfast? You’ll still have to lie to the school this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Mr.S wrote: »
    Why don't you want to self isolate for 2 weeks after being abroad?

Why would you fly to Belfast :confused:

Because some people think the rules don't apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭quokula

smurfjed wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see results from Qatar Airways as they never stopped flying throughout this whole pandemic. Although Qatar has the highest rate of infection per population, we are not hearing calls for the airline to be banned from certain countries which is a good indication that the disease isn’t spreading rampantly onboard aircraft, although that doesn’t mean that infected people aren’t going from A-B.

That in itself sounds like it might indicate some correlation between flying and infection rates...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

I have read the most recent guidelines for schools from DES in full and cannot find any mention of this? Would love to know where this guidance is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Because some people think the rules don't apply to them.

What rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

quokula wrote: »
    That in itself sounds like it might indicate some correlation between flying and infection rates...

While they have a big marketing campaign about how they never stopped flying, I don't see them saying the planes were full of people either. I'd wager their numbers have been low enough similar to all the other airlines who have stayed flying to preserve their slot status and ship cargo in their holds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Is this a loophole for the government to enforce quarantine?

Coveney : “ if a follow-up takes place that shows people are not in the place they say they would be staying in, then they have broken the law. He said there are "severe penalties" for this.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Luckily Eamon Ryan would seem to indicate there will be a green list next week, than god

Micky 32 wrote:
    Coveney : “ if a follow-up takes place that shows people are not in the place they say they would be staying in, then they have broken the law. He said there are "severe penalties" for this.â€

Where is the quote from out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Your child will have the school told before first bell. Or a parent of your child's friend. This happened a lot after Feb midterm. Anyone vaguely near Italy was treated as a pariah.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Where is the quote from out of interest?

On the RTE app. It sounds to me that the qoute means if you signed the form that you are staying at number 12 whatever street and you then go to visit someone in number 14 you then broke the law because you are not at the place that you signed the form for.

So quarantine is mandatory if that’s the case, correct me if i’m wrong.

Micky 32 wrote:
    On the RTE app. It sounds to me that the qoute means if you signed the form that you are staying at number 12 whatever street and you then go to visit someone in number 14 you then broke the law because you are not at the place that you signed the form for.

Micky 32 wrote:
    So quarantine is mandatory if that’s the case, correct me if i’m wrong.

Not saying your wrong at all if that's what he says.

It's a big departure from what has been said heretofore however.

Mixed messaging at its finest again!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wouldn’t be scared by this. It was anticipated some months ago. The flu is the same. Annual vaccine.

We need 70% vaccinations to consider the virus erradicated. That where things will get interested. Can you see 70% of peeps opting in?

I lived in Kenya in the 90’s. Anyone visiting the Country had to have a vaccine passport for yellow fever. That may be the way forward with C19. However the anti-vaxxers and the rest of the nutcases will have a field day with this.

And who pays for it all

LilyShame wrote: »
    I know the Department of Ed were in oireachtas saying just that...parents to not send kids back until 14 days done in quarantine. I know In my work they have emailed saying... With anticipation of lifting on 20th if your planning to travel... Please let your manager know and continue to work remotely in your return. Don't enter work building for 2 weeks but continue to work.

The thing is.... I don't think travelling will be any different next year... We will now always have to Don masks in eateries etc.

I think the above communications must suggest they are going to somehow lift the essential travel advice on dfa... Yet all travellers to do 14 days at home on their return.... It will be some weird contradictory yoke released on Friday.

At this stage I don't see the local holiday locations doing any better out of this for July or August...

Actually this raises an interesting HR issue

If the gov has a country on a green list but your employer insists that you still must quarantine, this sounds like a HR legal nightmare. I must make enquiries on the legality of this....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

faceman wrote: »
    Actually this raises an interesting HR issue

If the gov has a country on a green list but your employer insists that you still must quarantine, this sounds like a HR legal nightmare. I must make enquiries on the legality of this....

Unless your employer is the state, there is no legally question here. Private companies are perfectly within their rights to impose policies. Dont like them, find a new job

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement