Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

faceman wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be scared by this. It was anticipated some months ago. The flu is the same. Annual vaccine.

We need 70% vaccinations to consider the virus erradicated. That where things will get interested. Can you see 70% of peeps opting in?

I lived in Kenya in the 90’s. Anyone visiting the Country had to have a vaccine passport for yellow fever. That may be the way forward with C19. However the anti-vaxxers and the rest of the nutcases will have a field day with this.

And who pays for it all

I still have my vaccine passport book. Must save a place for my C-19 stamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Was in Crete last week. Place was extremely quiet. Had the beaches to ourselves and we were the only guests in the hotel the first two nights. We flew from Germany and were the first batch of tourists to arrive. The greeks were very curious about Covid as they have so far managed to avoid it in most places. Social distancing wasn't really necessary as the places were so empty. All the restaurants had outdoor seating and only the waiters had to wear masks. Here in Germany it is everyone. Flight to Crete was empty more or less. About 25-30 people is my guess. Was a bit surreal actually.

Greece is introducing now mandatory testing for new arrivals which I think is a good idea. We were not subject to it but when they open to Sweden and the UK it will be essential.

Oglaigh84 wrote: »
    Unless your employer is the state, there is no legally question here. Private companies are perfectly within their rights to impose policies. Dont like them, find a new job

No. Private companies cannot do as they wish.

Un1corn wrote: »
    Was in Crete last week. Place was extremely quiet. Had the beaches to ourselves and we were the only guests in the hotel the first two nights. We flew from Germany and were the first batch of tourists to arrive. The greeks were very curious about Covid as they have so far managed to avoid it in most places. Social distancing wasn't really necessary as the places were so empty. All the restaurants had outdoor seating and only the waiters had to wear masks. Here in Germany it is everyone. Flight to Crete was empty more or less. About 25-30 people is my guess. Was a bit surreal actually.

Greece is introducing now mandatory testing for new arrivals which I think is a good idea. We were not subject to it but when they open to Sweden and the UK it will be essential.

Are they doing mandatory testing? I thought it depended on the origin of passengers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Why did you need to go to Belfast? You’ll still have to lie to the school this way?

Won't have fill in a form for HSE on arrival to Belfast

• Advertisement

Are they doing mandatory testing? I thought it depended on the origin of passengers.

They are currently doing random spotchecks. From tomorrow you need to have a negative covid-19 check within the last 72 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

While they have a big marketing campaign about how they never stopped flying, I don't see them saying the planes were full of people either. I'd wager their numbers have been low enough similar to all the other airlines who have stayed flying to preserve their slot status and ship cargo in their holds.

Difference is between Qatar COUNTRY and Qatar Airways. Very few people holiday in Qatar but many fly Qatar for their connections.

If by only flying Qatar there are minimal infections, it proves flying is safe.

If Qatari infections are a result of Qatari citizens coming home infected from elsewhere, this also proves flying is safe but don't visit infected zones

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

They are currently doing random spotchecks. From tomorrow you need to have a negative covid-19 check within the last 72 hours.

I understand that requirement is only for people crossing the border with Bulgaria.

https://www.novinite.com/articles/205235/Entering+Greece+-+Only+After+a+Negative+Test+for+COVID-19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Unless your employer is the state, there is no legally question here. Private companies are perfectly within their rights to impose policies. Dont like them, find a new job

That’s not true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

faceman wrote: »
    Actually this raises an interesting HR issue

If the gov has a country on a green list but your employer insists that you still must quarantine, this sounds like a HR legal nightmare. I must make enquiries on the legality of this....

Well if some employers insist on this despite a green list being in place, we'll have next months big topic for liveline..

Rightly so I say, your annual leave is yours to do whatever ya want with, same goes for any time outside your work hours for that matter.

• Advertisement

I understand that requirement is only for people crossing the border with Bulgaria.

https://www.novinite.com/articles/205235/Entering+Greece+-+Only+After+a+Negative+Test+for+COVID-19

This could be true. A greek waiter there told me all the cases they got were people from the UK flying through Bulgaria.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

This could be true. A greek waiter there told me all the cases they got were people from the UK flying through Bulgaria.

Land border only.
    Persons entering the Promahon border crossing from 6:00 am on July 14, 2020 are required to show negative results from a molecular test (PcR) for coronavirus performed 72 hours before the trip.

The obligation to complete the Passenger Locator Form (PLF) remains in force, and the minimum time to complete it before arrival in Greece is limited to 24 hours

from July 1 to 11 authorities have recorded four times as many positive coronavirus tests at the Greek-Bulgarian border crossing of Promachonas than at Athens' international airport.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Interesting.

So if an employer brought in a policy that you must bludgeon to death the first person you see in the office on your arrival every day, they are perfectly within their right to impose this policy?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Land border only.

The 24 hours thing is bull****. I lost my passport card and had to fill it out with the passport number before getting on the flight. The email confirmation comes instantaneously although this might change as more tourists go. If there are fligths from Ireland to Greece right now I would go there on holiday. Its relatively safe.

I think Spain has serious problems still.

The 24 hours thing is bull****. I lost my passport card and had to fill it out with the passport number before getting on the flight. The email confirmation comes instantaneously although this might change as more tourists go. If there are fligths from Ireland to Greece right now I would go there on holiday. Its relatively safe..

Is it not a matter of filling out the online form and you get a barcode sent to you which is scanned at the port of arrival and determines if you get a cotton swab jammed up your nose and pokes your brain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Is it not a matter of filling out the online form and you get a barcode sent to you which is scanned at the port of arrival and determines if you get a cotton swab jammed up your nose and pokes your brain?

I just filled in my locator form. Flying to Crete on Wednesday. You recieve a QR code which tells you whether you'll be tested or not depending on an algorithm. Whereas nearly everyone on a flight from France will be tested, there will be fewer tests on irish flights who have the same infection rate as Greece (although on Crete there are currently fewer than 15 active cases). Greece have handled this perfectly. Our government has completely dropped the ball and kicked it down the street. I expect this to be the case with most state issues for the next five years.

It's a throat swab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Tazz T wrote: »
    It's a throat swab.

It's both. Throat and then nose using the same swab. Not pleasant but not as bad as it's made out. Although that depends on who is doing the stabbing!

Where have you heard it's both. I have it from people that have gone through that it's only a throat swab.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Where have you heard it's both. I have it from people that have gone through that it's only a throat swab.

I have had it done twice and another one tomorrow. Its definitely both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Very interesting time to see Europe as a European. No hordes of Americans, Chinese and Australians and wherever else crowding the place.

As far as I'm concerned we are part of a Union with integrated currency, movement etc. That's our world and I'll travel within it if I want to.

I had the bar code. They never even scanned it just asked me did I have it and showed it to them.

Very interesting time to see Europe as a European. No hordes of Americans, Chinese and Australians and wherever else crowding the place.

As far as I'm concerned we are part of a Union with integrated currency, movement etc. That's our world and I'll travel within it if I want to.

Honestly I am starting to really see the beauty of the European Union and the European identity. Travel to Greece with no passports and using the same money and treated equally wuth the locals because of being an EU citizen. It is incredible. I have benefitted hugely from the EU and living in Germany is a great opportunity made possible by the EU.

I think I am part of the generation that is European. For sure I am Irish first but I am also a European and although there are huge language barriers and diversity in Europe I think culturally we are a lot closer to Greeks, Latvians, Italians and Germans than Americans even though we share a langauge with them. Europe is a beautiful place and it was amazing to be allowed into Crete as one of the first tourists there.

The Greeks were very interested in what Corona was like in Germany and how it is restricted. The host of the apartment was crying when we arrived because she lost her job and 90% of the people there have lost a fortune because of Covid but they have not had huge outbreaks themselves. Explaining the masks and stuff to them was interesting and we had a great time. The Greeks all seem to be lovely people who focus on enjoying life rather than enduring it.

The Greeks were very interested in what Corona was like in Germany and how it is restricted. The host of the apartment was crying when we arrived because she lost her job and 90% of the people there have lost a fortune because of Covid but they have not had huge outbreaks themselves. Explaining the masks and stuff to them was interesting and we had a great time. The Greeks all seem to be lovely people who focus on enjoying life rather than enduring it.

It's been extremely hard for those employed in the hospitality and tourism sector in Greece, the Pandemic has been a massive blow to the ordinary workers:
    https://greece.greekreporter.com/2020/06/24/laid-off-greek-hotel-worker-witnesses-daughter-collapse-from-hunger/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I have flights booked to Ireland for the 13th of August to the 27th. Flying from Spain. Where I live is doing well but the outbreaks in Catalunya and Galicia make the national situation look worse than it is.

What pisses me off is the wishy-washiness of the guidelines. Is quarantine recommended or mandatory? What powers do they have to enforce it? I wish they'd just come out and say 'Mandatory 14-day quarantine until vaccine comes along' or that the quarantine is lifted.

This limbo is really pissing me off and also ruining our chances of changeing our plans and going somewhere else where they have their travel rules set out clearly instead of these mixed messages that fall somewhere between warnings, recommendations and rules.

Still can’t believe people are that selfish that they have to travel for holiday purposes at the moment. Essential travel fine there are reasons people need to get from a to b but just to have your week in Spain or Greece is madness at the moment if people can’t do without for one year.

Doubt any of those who do go to Spain or the like or isolating on return as per government guidelines as they are not listening to the government in first place by going away on there sun holiday . Rest of us will pay for there selfishness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

The 24 hours thing is bull****. I lost my passport card and had to fill it out with the passport number before getting on the flight. The email confirmation comes instantaneously although this might change as more tourists go. If there are fligths from Ireland to Greece right now I would go there on holiday. Its relatively safe.

I think Spain has serious problems still.

Spain is grand except for LLeida and its surrounding zone and a part of Galicia. In LLeida it was caused by greedy veg and fruit producers not providing adequate protection and accomodation to migrant temporary workers from Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Still can’t believe people are that selfish that they have to travel for holiday purposes at the moment. Essential travel fine there are reasons people need to get from a to b but just to have your week in Spain or Greece is madness at the moment if people can’t do without for one year.

Doubt any of those who do go to Spain or the like or isolating on return as per government guidelines as they are not listening to the government in first place by going away on there sun holiday . Rest of us will pay for there selfishness

The Government are running the Country and they are asking people to self isolate on return from any trip abroad.
    I do not see why they should ask families to take the hit for flights that they paid for months ago.
    Airlines are running flights and if Governments do not want to travel they should have talked to the Airlines instead of harrasing the people who pay their taxes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The Valencia Community (which includes Valencia city, Alicante, Costa Blanca and surrounds etc) has a population of 5m. Yesterday there were zero cases of coronvirus here. Doing better than Ireland here.

Maybe we should start making Irish visitors quarantine when they arrive here instead :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Greece banned Qatar after nine people tested positive coming off a plane.

Just tried booking DOHA ATHENS return, it’s available, so where is the reference for them being banned?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement