Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I honestly think you’d have to be clinically insane to get in a plane at the moment. What part of global pandemic to people not understand?

Essential travel is one thing but would it kill you to holiday at home for just one year? No one needs to go to Spain or Portugal or Greece or wherever.

I also don’t buy the ‘I can’t afford not to go’ excuse. The money was already gone once you booked the holiday. You’d already lost it. What difference does not going make? You’re not losing any more money by not going.

Just stop being selfish and stay at home for this year. It could be a matter of life or death.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Still can’t believe people are that selfish that they have to travel for holiday purposes at the moment. Essential travel fine there are reasons people need to get from a to b but just to have your week in Spain or Greece is madness at the moment if people can’t do without for one year.

Doubt any of those who do go to Spain or the like or isolating on return as per government guidelines as they are not listening to the government in first place by going away on there sun holiday . Rest of us will pay for there selfishness

You can sit in your shell for another 10 years.That fuc... lockdown has damaged far more lifes than the virus itself.

I honestly think you’d have to be clinically insane to get in a plane at the moment. What part of global pandemic to people not understand?

Essential travel is one thing but would it kill you to holiday at home for just one year? No one needs to go to Spain or Portugal or Greece or wherever.

I also don’t buy the ‘I can’t afford not to go’ excuse. The money was already gone once you booked the holiday. You’d already lost it. What difference does not going make? You’re not losing any more money by not going.

Just stop being selfish and stay at home for this year. It could be a matter of life or death.

Do not walk outside of your house ! You might slip and break your neck ! It could be a matter of life or death !

gral6 wrote: »
    Do not walk outside of your house ! You might slip and break your neck ! It could be a matter of life or death !

Not a remotely realistic comparison and you know it.

People have lost their lives because of Covid. If you don’t care about your own risk fine but what about the risk you might pose to others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Does that mean stay in your house all the time? Or are we allowed venture out every now and then? Or would you allow us holiday at home? Is it safe to wander into bars and restaurants, hold house parties etc? Just for clarification now. And when can we travel? Can I commute to work today? Could get killed in an RTA also a matter of life and death.

• Advertisement

Not a remotely realistic comparison and you know it.

People have lost their lives because of Covid. If you don’t care about your own risk fine but what about the risk you might pose to others?

Therefore, come back to your shell and let me decide what to do with my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

I have flights booked to Ireland for the 13th of August to the 27th. Flying from Spain. Where I live is doing well but the outbreaks in Catalunya and Galicia make the national situation look worse than it is.

What pisses me off is the wishy-washiness of the guidelines. Is quarantine recommended or mandatory? What powers do they have to enforce it? I wish they'd just come out and say 'Mandatory 14-day quarantine until vaccine comes along' or that the quarantine is lifted.

This limbo is really pissing me off and also ruining our chances of changeing our plans and going somewhere else where they have their travel rules set out clearly instead of these mixed messages that fall somewhere between warnings, recommendations and rules.

It's mandatory but they can't enforce it. Please quarantine if you're coming here. It is unfair to undo all the hard work we have achieved so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Then just cancel the flights and people get refunded.
    If i book a hotel in Ireland with booking.com i can get a refund if i not stay.
    Goods and services we pay for should be delivered.
    Its very simple solution really.
    Each individual are fully entitled to make their own decision...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Still can’t believe people are that selfish that they have to travel for holiday purposes at the moment. Essential travel fine there are reasons people need to get from a to b but just to have your week in Spain or Greece is madness at the moment if people can’t do without for one year.

Doubt any of those who do go to Spain or the like or isolating on return as per government guidelines as they are not listening to the government in first place by going away on there sun holiday . Rest of us will pay for there selfishness

Your right a week is selfish thats why I'm taking 2 weeks.

Then just cancel the flights and people get refunded.
    If i book a hotel in Ireland with booking.com i can get a refund if i not stay.
    Goods and services we pay for should be delivered.
    Its very simple solution really...

Yes I’d agree that would be a good solution.

• Advertisement

Does that mean stay in your house all the time? Or are we allowed venture out every now and then? Or would you allow us holiday at home? Is it safe to wander into bars and restaurants, hold house parties etc? Just for clarification now. And when can we travel? Can I commute to work today? Could get killed in an RTA also a matter of life and death.

Do as you like within the guidelines here at home. It’s the foreign travel I take issue with.

It’s just too dangerous at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I'm just back from The Canaries and I'm going back for the rest of the summer. My extended family all went to Galway, but I didn't fancy taking that risk as it would involve spending most of the time indoors due to Irish weather, and also mean possibly bumping in Amercans, all while there is no law or enforcement around social distancing and mask wearing. It's safer in the Canaries than here. The weather makes it more conducive to spending time outdoors where there is less of a risk. Mask wearing is enforced indoors. Air travel is safe. Flights and accommodation is cheap. I'll be sitting by the pool studying and working for the summer feeling totally safe, while you take your chances with the great unmasked in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

How about those of us who would like to get home and see family for the first time in months? Is that selfish? Because I'm in a country with a very low prevalence rate, and my family live in a county that has had no cases for weeks.

At what stage is it not selfish to travel home for a few days for those reasons? It's not essential travel, but it's definitely not a holiday. I'm going to wait until the government lifts the mandatory quarantine, I had booked to go back last week and ate the loss. Fair enough, though annoying at the arsing the government did around July 9th, but it's disingenuous to equate all people travelling or flying as doing so for holidays.

Do as you like within the guidelines here at home. It’s the foreign travel I take issue with.

So going to a house party in Kerry is fine, cos it's within the guidelines, but getting on a plane with Hepa filters to fly to a safe country is too dangerous? Have people really lost all ability to exercise any critical thinking?

Dante7 wrote: »
    So going to a house party in Kerry is fine, cos it's within the guidelines, but getting on a plane with Hepa filters to fly to a safe country is too dangerous? Have people really lost all ability to exercise any critical thinking?

Of course that’s not fine, that was a disgrace.

Just work within the guidelines and the sooner we all do that the sooner we can go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Emma2019 wrote: »
    It's mandatory but they can't enforce it. Please quarantine if you're coming here. It is unfair to undo all the hard work we have achieved so far.
    Don't worry, if we have to quarantine, we're simply not going. I'd just rather know it now so we can look elsewhere for a trip.

Again, what really pisses me off is the greyness of the whole thing and not being able to properly plan. As others have mentioned, why can you buy flights to Ireland if you're not supposed to go? The Gov should be having a word with the airlines if they don't want people travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Do you accept that some destinations are more dangerous than others?

We will have a green list of countries next week which is based on risk and people will be free to do so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Planes are considered less risky than pubs. Also per my previous post, 2 weeks in Benidorm is safer than 2 weeks anywhere in Ireland.

You’d want to be clinically insane to ignore statistics and science when it comes to coronavirus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just work within the guidelines and the sooner we all do that the sooner we can go back to normal.

Guidelines are no non essential travel and advice to restrict your movements for 14 days if you do. What's the definition of non essential?

Guidelines are no non essential travel and advice to restrict your movements for 14 days if you do. What's the definition of non essential?

Indeed you can have essential to economic well-being and essential for mental well-being.

• Advertisement

I'm just back from The Canaries and I'm going back for the rest of the summer. My extended family all went to Galway, but I didn't fancy taking that risk as it would involve spending most of the time indoors due to Irish weather, and also mean possibly bumping in Amercans, all while there is no law or enforcement around social distancing and mask wearing. It's safer in the Canaries than here. The weather makes it more conducive to spending time outdoors where there is less of a risk. Mask wearing is enforced indoors. Air travel is safe. Flights and accommodation is cheap. I'll be sitting by the pool studying and working for the summer feeling totally safe, while you take your chances with the great unmasked in Lidl.

while your points are good about the Canaries being safer than Galway, the end of your post is unbelievably smug. Very few people walking around Galway or anywhere now are doing so because they want to. Many people lost their jobs or took huge pay cuts. Many simply cannot afford to actually LIVE in the Canaries until the end of the Summer. You are single and you have a job over there, good for you, not everyone is in the same position.

Most of us have decided to take our chances here in Ireland, for financial reasons or for the greater good of everyone's health, not because it is mandatory but because for this one year its the decent thing to do............ and yes doing our shopping in Lidl!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Indeed you can have essential to economic well-being and essential for mental well-being.

I'm just curious as to what those who wish to dictate to others deem as essential. MM is heading to Brussels later in the week and won't have to self isolate when he comes back. So is it only the plebs who have to follow vague guidelines?

Working within the guidelines will not get us back to normal. The only guideline that will see us getting back to normal will be the guideline - "get vaccinated with the new Covid vax". This is the new normal for the time being.

When you can explain to me how me going to the Canaries is a bigger risk than going to Kerry I'll happily follow the recommendations. Until then, I'll continue to view staycations as a much greater risk due to the amount of time spent indoors during Irish holidays, and the fact that Ireland allows incoming travel from red zones.

Yes but the powers that be are not saying that...

I'm just curious as to what those who wish to dictate to others deem as essential. MM is heading to Brussels later in the week and won't have to self isolate when he comes back. So is it only the plebs who have to follow vague guidelines?

Well I would say that this is essential business. Whether someone is required to restrict movements when they are back should be dependent on behaviour and risk when they are away.

There should be a focus on safe destinations and safe behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

smurfjed wrote: »
    Just tried booking DOHA ATHENS return, it’s available, so where is the reference for them being banned?

Flights may be allowed back from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Can you tell us the scientific basis for your claim?

That getting on an aircraft for a few hours with filtered air using the same filters as in a hospital operating theater, then going to stay your own self-contained bungalow or apartment in a sunny location and spending the majority of your time outdoors is any more dangerous than getting on Irish public transport and going to restaurant/pubs indoors as it's raining out or there's no outdoor seating for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Heading home this Saturday for a week to see my parents, coming from a part of Spain that did excellent during the covid and still continues to be doing a great job. The fact that I have to do a quarantine is a bit ridiculous when people are walking around with no masks in crowded places outdoors or indoors in Ireland and the fact that they are also leaving yanks into the country.

It seems like personal choice..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

That was jettisoned months ago.

It's been replaced with doing what the man on the telly tells you.

The inability of humans to assess risk is well-established. The risk of contracting, much less dying, from the virus is infinitesimally small but people are literally losing their **** over imaginary Texans flying into the country and anecdotes about cars from the UK rolling off the ferries.

Those same people will have no problem doing any manner of activities which poses more risk to their health and well-being.

It's a very sobering illustration of how you can control large swades of the population with fear. The 'useful idiots' have certainly been playing a blinder during the last few months

The really funny thing is that if you question them about when we should relax the restrictions, they literally have no idea beyond some vague aspiration that a vaccine will be invented in the next year or so.

The illogicality which underpins their belief in the lockdown is unshakable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement