Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

while your points are good about the Canaries being safer than Galway, the end of your post is unbelievably smug. Very few people walking around Galway or anywhere now are doing so because they want to. Many people lost their jobs or took huge pay cuts. Many simply cannot afford to actually LIVE in the Canaries until the end of the Summer. You are single and you have a job over there, good for you, not everyone is in the same position.

Most of us have decided to take our chances here in Ireland, for financial reasons or for the greater good of everyone's health, not because it is mandatory but because for this one year its the decent thing to do............ and yes doing our shopping in Lidl!!

Hard to know where to start here because you are wrong on so many points, but I'll give it a go.
    I have kids, I'm a single parent and a carer. Kids will be safer there as they will be outdoors all the time and not indoors all the time in god knows whose house.
    I don't have work over there, however I can do some of my work and all of my study there. If other people aren't in the position to do this, that is none of my business and has no impact or bearing on my decision.
    One of my reasons for going for the rest of the summer is due to the low cost of living there and current cheap flights and accommodation. I can fly, stay and eat there for six weeks for cheaper than just eating here for six weeks.
    Not sure what your point is about people not wanting to walk around Galway. My point was that I decided against a holiday in Galway with the rest of the family as I felt it was riskier than the Canaries. And I was right. They spent the week in pubs and each others holiday homes and weren't at ease due to Americans.
    Finally, I'm sorry that you find my comment about unmasked in Lidl smug, but it's true. I was in a Lidl here yesterday and was one of only about 10% wearing a mask. I was in a Lidl in Lanzarote and I wasn't allowed in until I put my mask on and sanitised my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

I'm just curious as to what those who wish to dictate to others deem as essential. MM is heading to Brussels later in the week and won't have to self isolate when he comes back. So is it only the plebs who have to follow vague guidelines?

Of course its essential travel so yes MM should be in Brussels on Friday but that doesn't get him out of self isolation on return.

However I guess that Belgium will be obviously on the Green list effective from monday so he'll avoid quarantining

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

As I've been saying here all along:

Holidaymakers 'no more likely' to get Covid-19 from visiting 'Green list' countries than in Dublin or Killarney
    Mr Varadkar said that the pandemic could "go on for years" until an effective vaccine is found and that it is "not practical to cut ourselves off from travel for that long."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/holidaymakers-no-more-likely-to-get-covid-19-from-visiting-green-list-countries-than-in-dublin-or-killarney-varadkar-39366365.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

can we have a quarantine/travel to Ireland thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Edo20

Ryanair to cut 1000 flights between Ireland and UK for August and September

I cant post the link - see RTE news

These will primarily affect Shannon, Cork, Kerry and Knock - essentially the entire West Coast - that is most of their flights.

This will now push a lot of businesses over the edge who have been hanging on hoping for some kind of an indian summer to salvage some kind of business before the lean winter season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Edo20 wrote: »
    Ryanair to cut 1000 flights between Ireland and UK for August and September
    I cant post the link - see RTE news
    These will primarily affect Shannon, Cork, Kerry and Knock - essentially the entire West Coast - that is most of their flights.
    This will now push a lot of businesses over the edge who have been hanging on hoping for some kind of an indian summer to salvage some kind of business before the lean winter season.

Yea it's tough, will just increase the costs for those who regularly travel, and before we get the usual Bull McCabe's on here expressing their delight, the UK/IRL air link is vital for everyone from families to NHS/healthcare staff, as well as those who can't conduct business over a webcam..

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0714/1153228-ryanair-flights/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I see Ryan air are stamping their feet and having a tantrum

I’m glad to see their bullying tactics are not working

Memo guys - public health is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than your stupid airline

Be no harm to see Ryan air gone altogether. No loss. Good riddance to micky o Leary as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Be no harm to see Ryan air gone altogether. No loss. Good riddance to micky o Leary as well

It's really depressing that people like this are allowed a vote.

It's really depressing that people like this are allowed a vote.

Give over facehugger

I have vulnerable members of my family and will do everything in my power to lower c19 in Ireland and guess what - there’s thousands of us who think this way.

Ryanair have been a disgrace since this crisis started

They want full resumption of flights and Fcuk the consequences - all they care about is €€

I take that as a direct threat to me and my family. If that is depressing to you then so be it

Thank yourself lucky that depression caused by a post on boards is your issue today.

There are thousands going through grief, severe anxiety, and serious health issues arising from c19 today in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Give over facehugger

I have vulnerable members of my family and will do everything in my power to lower c19 in Ireland and guess what - there’s thousands of us who think this way.

They want full resumption of flights and Fcuk the consequences - all they care about is €€

I take that as a direct threat to me and my family. If that is depressing to you then so be it

Private company wanting to make money....I'm shocked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭josip

Give over facehugger

Your posts are having the opposite effect to what you think.
    The small percentage of people in the middle who may be swayed by reasoned arguments, will see your posts as dictatorial and authoritarian.
    They won't be convinced by them. They'll be turned off by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Simple solution here if you dont want to fly then don't its not that difficult, nobody is forcing you onto a plane.

They're pointing out the stupidity of having 1 point of entry to the country that has a quarantine while you could fly to Belfast and hop over the border and away you go.

Can you not see how stupid it is then to have a blanket quarantine when you've an entry point to the island without one.

Implement the same measures as the rest of the EU, a ban on high risk countries and allow travel within the EU block. We are the only country with a full blanket quarantine on Europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Any idea of what countries will be on next weeks green list? Are they only going to allow countries with a 14 day new case rate/100k population lower than Ireland, or ones with a similar rate, i.e. some may be slightly higher?

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Any idea of what countries will be on next weeks green list? Are they only going to allow countries with a 14 day new case rate/100k population lower than Ireland, or ones with a similar rate, i.e. some may be slightly higher?

I suspect if there is actually a list next week ( although I don't think there will be) most of the EU will be on it with the exception of the UK .

I suspect if there is actually a list next week ( although I don't think there will be) most of the EU will be on it with the exception of the UK .

I agree re EU / EEA. And I think that the UK will probably remain subject to the current quarantine arrangements (as no choice I think given that Brits have automatic Irish residency rights and therefore can’t be stopped from travelling, and mandatory quarantine is not possible).

More interesting will be what is done about the USA

Thanks! It'll be interesting to see what happens. Been going through the figures and plenty of counties performing well, some a bit dodgy. I was wondering if they'd go for a figure of below 3 (roughly where we are at) or pick a figure of 5 or 6 which would allow popular countries like Holland and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

I'm guessing all of EU apart from Romania, Bulgaria and Sweden.

I think we'll also have Switzerland, Norway and Iceland on the Green List

I agree re EU / EEA. And I think that the UK will probably remain subject to the current quarantine arrangements (as no choice I think given that Brits have automatic Irish residency rights and therefore can’t be stopped from travelling, and mandatory quarantine is not possible).

More interesting will be what is done about the USA

While I'd imagine we won't move towards a full ban, they'll surely try and make it more difficult. Very hard to tell people to stay home when we're wide open to the red zone. Will the travel advice change in line with the green list or remain I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

faceman wrote: »
    Planes are considered less risky than pubs. Also per my previous post, 2 weeks in Benidorm is safer than 2 weeks anywhere in Ireland.

You’d want to be clinically insane to ignore statistics and science when it comes to coronavirus

I can't remember if this was already posted here or if I saw it somewhere else but here it is again anyway.

EcbDuK3WkAAOREw.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The more this goes on, the more the fuss about travel is proven to be hysterics.

Spain open time tourists since 21st June.

Outbreaks attributed to tourism since then: Zero

Valencia region. Home to Alicante, Benidorm, Costa Blanca. Number of coronavirus cases yesterday: Zero. (This region has the some of lowest rates of C19 in Spain)

Similar stats are being seen across Europe. The great big travel surge of coronavirus just isn’t happening.

And it’s simple to see why. Behaviours have changed. Everyone has upped their game.

(Except Ireland.)

All of this is line with the research articles and journals published on the ECDC and WHO websites that were shared weeks ago.

Risk assessments put going to the pub as higher risk than getting on planes

Mental health is a public health issue. Best thing I did was leave Ireland when I did. The place is fúcking miserable with the doom and gloom merchants, the media pessimism.

Spain suffered far more pain than Ireland yet the optimism and continued adherence to health guidelines on masks and social distancing is to be applauded.

Plus the weather is better. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

In today's news: "Have German tourists in Majorca created a second Ischgl-like ‘hotspot’?
    “Almost nobody wore a mask, drinks were handed around and often shared”
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/have-german-tourists-in-mallorca-risked-creating-a-second-ischgl-like-hotspot/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Give over facehugger

Thank yourself lucky that depression caused by a post on boards is your issue today.

There are thousands going through grief, severe anxiety, and serious health issues arising from c19 today in this country.

I did enjoy the way you were so proud of your post that you posted it in two separate threads.

Thank you for doing the hard work for me and pointing out the nonsensical stupidly and irrational fear that underpin the lock-down arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

But their tactics are working as the Airports are open and people are travelling, i agree they should not be but that's the job of Government.
    Michael O'Leary is running a business...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Some people have their mind made up and that's it.

- I'm connected to the industry and this whole vaccine route is years away. Early good signs from some of the ongoing trials but months and months away from a proven safe and effective vaccine. Once proven effective, the fast-tracked approval then takes another few months . Pharma companies will start manufacturing at risk to stockpile in advance of this approval but can you imagine the logistics and politics involved in vaccinating the world. We (as a race) couldn't even manage the whole PPE situation which resulted in staff wearing bin liners as protection. The rich will survive - history repeats itself in many forms!

- We live with side by side with the virus for many years to come. Next year and the year after will be the same regarding travel, schools, pubs and so on.

- I regularly bump into a friend of my wife's in the local Dunnes for the weekly shop. She is a fantastic woman and even prior to all of this one I have greatly admired - I could never do what she does (that goes for all frontliners). But what I don't get (and for her safety too) is that it is ok to spend your working week in the highest risk environment in the country (hospital Covid ward) suited and booted with PPE and then on your days off you carry on as normal. She may aswell have been over and back to northern Italy throughout. Now, I know she was under house rules at the start and needed to quarantine but I was surprised when restrictions were lifted. Again, not a dig at her personally but I would have thought she should have been looked after with someone to do her shopping, bring her coffee etc.

- The 12 pubs of Covid. This 105 minute rule promotes the much beloved pub crawl. For contact tracing and cluster containment, would you not be better spending as much time on one pub as opposed to as much time in many pubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

otnomart wrote: »
    In today's news: "Have German tourists in Majorca created a second Ischgl-like ‘hotspot’?
    “Almost nobody wore a mask, drinks were handed around and often shared”
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/have-german-tourists-in-mallorca-risked-creating-a-second-ischgl-like-hotspot/

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

But their tactics are working as the Airports are open and people are travelling, i agree they should not be but that's the job of Government.
    Michael O'Leary is running a business...

He’s cancelling 1000s of flights due to lack of demand ?!

I did enjoy the way you were so proud of your post that you posted it in two separate threads.

Thank you for doing the hard work for me and pointing out the nonsensical stupidly and irrational fear that underpin the lock-down arguments.

What are you on about.

Maybe If you had vulnerable family members then you’d be more concerned about covid 19 spreading in Ireland due to ppl arriving back from foreign travel on planes

He’s cancelling 1000s of flights due to lack of demand ?!

He has cancelled a 1000 flights between Ireland the UK for August/September. Plenty of flights to other destinations.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MrMischief wrote: »
    - I'm connected to the industry and this whole vaccine route is years away.
    While you may be right on the period (I too would be shocked if it was even early next year), your connections are surely not more credible than the many reports and so on that various professors, etc have come out with who said it could well be sooner.
    Again, not a dig at her personally but I would have thought she should have been looked after with someone to do her shopping, bring her coffee etc.
    Maybe she wants to go out? It'd be very grim going from the ward back to the house and nothing else. A lot of people crave being outside the walls, especially if they're in an intense workplace.
    The 12 pubs of Covid. This 105 minute rule promotes the much beloved pub crawl. For contact tracing and cluster containment, would you not be better spending as much time on one pub as opposed to as much time in many pubs?
    I agree but maybe they hope people won't be organised enough to set this up given you'd have to book each destination in advance and would instead go home.

• Advertisement

He has cancelled a 1000 flights between Ireland the UK for August/September. Plenty of flights to other destinations.

There’s little demand due to government guidance to avoid all non essential travel and rightly so

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement