Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

He’s cancelling 1000s of flights due to lack of demand ?!

I know that... i was responding to someone saying they should close down...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I see Ryan air are stamping their feet and having a tantrum

That's the thing, it's not like they've had a bunch of full flights, the demand is just not there for mass travel at the moment.

People, and Ryanair, will blame the government, HSE, the meeja, everyone all they like, but the simple fact is that what seems to be most people are not yet comfortable with traveling.

I've no time for the management and PR of Ryanair, but I certainly don't want to see them suffer out of spite though, as assholey as they can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

ixoy wrote: »
    While you may be right on the period (I too would be shocked if it was even early next year), your connections are surely not more credible than the many reports and so on that various professors, etc have come out with who said it could well be sooner.

Maybe she wants to go out? It'd be very grim going from the ward back to the house and nothing else. A lot of people crave being outside the walls, especially if they're in an intense workplace.

I agree but maybe they hope people won't be organised enough to set this up given you'd have to book each destination in advance and would instead go home.

Regarding the vaccine comment - pretty credible as I know the lead times on things like this and all they are doing is providing hope to people that see vaccines as the only solution. The HIV virus hasn't gone away.

I 100% agree regarding the nurse getting out and about. My point being that this logic of her doing so is in disconnect with every other piece of guidance or restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

There’s little demand due to government guidance to avoid all non essential travel and rightly so

Which will be changing soon, potentially Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

What are you on about.

Maybe If you had vulnerable family members then you’d be more concerned about covid 19 spreading in Ireland due to ppl arriving back from foreign travel on planes

I'm more concerned about what kind of society and country we'll be left with if hysterical nonsense like your posts gains further traction.

By all means go and hide in your fear-cave for the next few years but don't be trying to drag the rest of us inside with you.

Be no harm to see Ryan air gone altogether. No loss. Good riddance to micky o Leary as well

Says it all really :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MrMischief wrote: »
    Regarding the vaccine comment - pretty credible as I know the lead times on things like this and all they are doing is providing hope to people that see vaccines as the only solution. The HIV virus hasn't gone away.
    Actually, there's a very good panel discussion here from the NY Times about the aggressive time lines and how, optimistically, it could be achieved all things going well.
    I 100% agree regarding the nurse getting out and about. My point being that this logic of her doing so is in disconnect with every other piece of guidance or restrictions.
    Well if she's using PPE, then what restrictions do you mean? She's not a high-risk individual in terms of contracting it and the PPE should mean she's not going to transmit it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,972 ✭✭✭✭josip

While you may be right on the period (I too would be shocked if it was even early next year), your connections are surely not more credible than the many reports and so on that various professors, etc have come out with who said it could well be sooner.

I think the OPs connections are probably more credible than those professors, most of whom would have connections to various vaccine or related studies.
    They didn't become professors without mastering the art of self publicity.
    You're familiar with "publish or perish" ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

There’s little demand due to government guidance to avoid all non essential travel and rightly so

There's little demand because Irish people are not stupid enough to go to the UK now.

Bookings to other countries in Europe are going very well

Actually, there's a very good panel discussion here from the NY Times about the aggressive time lines and how, optimistically, it could be achieved all things going well.

All 4 of the non-governmental panelists look like having vested interests to me. All their organisations need to keep the research funding tap open. I'd be highly dubious about any of their claims.

Columbia
    https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news/columbia-university-researchers-awarded-2-million-identify-antiviral-drugs-new-coronavirus

Beth
    https://www.bidmc.org/about-bidmc/news/2020/05/covid-19-vaccine

Penn
    https://www.pennmedicine.org/research-at-penn/research-specialty-areas/penn-research-programs-and-interests/coronavirus-research-center/ways-to-give

Regeneron
    https://investor.regeneron.com/index.php/news-releases/news-release-details/regeneron-begins-first-clinical-trials-anti-viral-antibody

• Registered Users Posts: 10,182 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yep I will jump on 4 flights tomorrow, travelling wearing a mask and gloves for most of the time. Social distancing from most of the people around me. Life goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

smurfjed wrote: »
    Yep I will jump on 4 flights tomorrow, travelling wearing a mask and gloves for most of the time. Social distancing from most of the people around me. Life goes on.

4 flights. Where are you off to?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

josip wrote: »
    All 4 of the non-governmental panelists look like having vested interests to me. All their organisations need to keep the research funding tap open. I'd be highly dubious about any of their claims.
    That is some level of cynicism. So you'll effectively dismiss every single academic since all of them, to some level, require funding?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Thanks! It'll be interesting to see what happens. Been going through the figures and plenty of counties performing well, some a bit dodgy. I was wondering if they'd go for a figure of below 3 (roughly where we are at) or pick a figure of 5 or 6 which would allow popular countries like Holland and Italy.

The number will be a political choice. It will probably be set at a level which includes almost all our friends in the EU.

Would not be surprised if the Green list was <= 10 cases per 100,000 over the last 14 days on average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Any prediction to when it'll kick in?

I'm supposed to being to Lanz on Monday and returning on 28th which all things considered is the more important date.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Any prediction to when it'll kick in?

I'm supposed to being to Lanz on Monday and returning on 28th which all things considered is the more important date.

I'd say it'll kick in on whatever date they have managed to put some of the new 'additional measures' in place to further enforce the mandatory self isolation (or 'restricted movements'). So, however long that will take... additional testing at ports/airports... this 'call centre' idea etc.

I think it'll kick in 2 weeks before schools are due back, to scare parents out of going on holidays in case their kids aren't allowed back to school.

That is some level of cynicism. So you'll effectively dismiss every single academic since all of them, to some level, require funding?

I'd be highly dubious of any claims or predictions they make at this point in time before the results of clinical trials are available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

I'd say the green list will be active as soon as it is announced on Monday. If they state a country is safe to travel to and from, then it is safe to travel to immediately. They can hardly produce a list of safe countries at that point in time, but then say that travel is not permitted for another couple of weeks.

There are €70 return flights to Lanzarote available at the moment. I doubt they will be anywhere near that price this time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

Dante7 wrote: »
    I'd say the green list will be active as soon as it is announced on Monday. If they state a country is safe to travel to and from, then it is safe to travel to immediately. They can hardly produce a list of safe countries at that point in time, but then say that travel is not permitted for another couple of weeks.

There are €70 return flights to Lanzarote available at the moment. I doubt they will be anywhere near that price this time next week.

I think the Weasley way will be to push this announcement out for further two weeks.

Company sending out nice email for anyone going abroad ala "When you get stuck you are on your own, when you can't make it back in time, your job might be gone"

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

moritz1234 wrote: »
    Five day analysis

Rep of Ireland
    UK 4.00
    Spain 5.42

9 day analysis so far

Rep of Ireland 2.96 cases per 100,000 people
    UK 8.77 cases per 100,00 people
    Spain 11.22 cases per 100,00 people

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Would a “staycation” in Dublin be advisable I wonder? I know most people are heading to the coasts but I always prefer city breaks.
    There are some amazing hotel deals to be had there at the moment...basically 2 nights for the price of 1. One of my friends gasped in horror though when I told him I was considering going there later in the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Would a “staycation” in Dublin be advisable I wonder? I know most people are heading to the coasts but I always prefer city breaks.
    There are some amazing hotel deals to be had there at the moment...basically 2 nights for the price of 1. One of my friends gasped in horror though when I told him I was considering going there later in the month.
    I am not sure why you would want to come to Dublin, I think most attractions are closed still? No concerts or events, bars not open, restaurants open but have to book and seriously limited numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

9 day analysis so far

Rep of Ireland 2.96 cases per 100,000 people
    UK 8.77 cases per 100,00 people
    Spain 11.22 cases per 100,00 people

Those figures for Spain don't look correct. What data are you using? Are you including the historic antibody test results? The PCR test results for Spain for the last couple of days are 263 and 164, with 2,139 currently infected. The latest I saw, they were running at less than 5 cases per 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

gmisk wrote: »
    I am not sure why you would want to come to Dublin, I think most attractions are closed still? No concerts or events, bars not open, restaurants open but have to book and seriously limited numbers.

Oh I know I’m not expecting it to be a hive of activity or anything, but I’m absolutely sick of the sight of my four walls for the past 4 months and just want a little change of scenery for a while, especially now that I’m not going abroad this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

The news today says that MM and Co will make decision on Monday and it will be published next week... But that could be next weds or Thurs not next Monday. They will also try and keep a % here for the bank holiday.... But tbh the weather is against them now. Chronic rotten rainy weather today...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

Those figures for Spain don't look correct. What data are you using? Are you including the historic antibody test results? The PCR test results for Spain for the last couple of days are 263 and 164, with 2,139 currently infected. The latest I saw, they were running at less than 5 cases per 100,000.

Spain - Worldometers
    6th 414
    7th 341
    8th 383
    9th 543
    10th 852
    11th 682
    12th 682
    13th 681
    14th 666

(5244 / 46755120) * 100,000 = 11.2158 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

LilyShame wrote: »
    The news today says that MM and Co will make decision on Monday and it will be published next week... But that could be next weds or Thurs not next Monday. They will also try and keep a % here for the bank holiday.... But tbh the weather is against them now. Chronic rotten rainy weather today...

The original decision was supposed to be announced on July 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

Mr rebel wrote: »

If you don't mind a lot of places being closed, go for it. It's not the kind of virus-infected hellhole some people seem to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If it were me , I would book a trip now and take the gamble of the destination being on the green list. When the green list was announced in NI bookings jumped over 300% in a day. Coming from a low base I know. There is pent up demand from those who are not living in fear but are put off by the two week self isolation, prices will rise sharply.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

Spain - Worldometers
    6th 414
    7th 341
    8th 383
    9th 543
    10th 852
    11th 682
    12th 682
    13th 681
    14th 666

(5244 / 46755120) * 100,000 = 11.2158 cases

Figures are correct but it’s the Catalonian outbreak which is mainly responsible for the big jump. If you consider that the Irish mainly go to the Canaries, Balearics and Costas there active cases are neglible and far lower than Ireland but unfortunately they’ll all probably be lumped in with Spain. I’m currently in the Canaries and their wearing of face masks, social distancing, sanitising etc. puts Ireland to shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

The Spanish figures now include antibody tests, today's figure is really 263, yesterday was 164

https://elpais.com/sociedad/2020/04/09/actualidad/1586437657_937910.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement