Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

According to RTE just now "Irish holidaymakers who are currently in Spain, or the Balearic or Canary Islands, are being advised to travel home by midnight on Thursday". Whats so significant about midnight Thursday I'm wondering. Airport going to shut down?

Why Thursday, why not yesterday!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wat24

I am due to travel to Majorca 3rd of May. Have til 31st March to change flights so il see next week but it’s not looking too good that we’ll be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

I'm due to head to liverpool in a months time

I dont think I ll make it !

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Same as that. Going to Kraków in 2 weeks. I couldn’t give A shyte about coronavirus. Greatest load of nonsense I’ve ever seen and I think it’s just a celebrity version of the flu.

If you have respiratory problems or are old or infirm, then think again. But if you’re young and healthy, go to Prague and have a nice time.

I’ve heard they drive like mad over in Eastern Europe so I’d keep an eye out for that as it’s a real concern.

Did you make it out of Poland at the weekend???
    I know of some that are stuck there until April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Did you make it out of Poland at the weekend???
    I know of some that are stuck there until April.

No, we decided against it. The tourist attractions were closed in Poland so there was much less point going. The travel disruption was looking serious. As your friend is discovering, there's a serious amount of travel disruption around Europe at the moment so it was too risky to travel and looks like we were right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some real selfish braindead w*nkers in this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Some real selfish braindead w*nkers in this thread

It's insane. Flying in May, hopeful they'll make it! Which year? Ridiculous stuff.

People really aren't getting it. The social distancing nonsense is to maintain a sense of semi normality, and avoid panic. It's proven its not effective to stop the spread, but highly effective in keeping peoples heads firmly in the sand until such time authorities are ready as they can be for lockdown.

I changed my break from April to Mid October. I expect to need to change again to next April.

One thing that may come from all this in a few hundred years is a more intelligent human race. We were overdue a natural cull.

Hoboo wrote: »

One thing that may come from all this in a few hundred years is a more intelligent human race. We were overdue a natural cull.

The virus really only kills old people and people with compromised immunity. what link either of those things to intelligence?

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

How idiotic does this post look now. Trying the original Dana White approach.

Personally, i cancelled a trip last Friday. Lost out on a fair chunk of money but got loved ones home. It's not a time to be a tourist or be marooned for that matter.

Akabusi wrote:
    Going to Italy on Monday, hopefully the weather is good

Hope you're still there

• Advertisement

2 percent death rate, ill take my chances and go on holiday, such a load of shìte over nothing

You look like some fool now. Best to pipe down and let the grown-ups talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Hoboo wrote: »
    It's insane. Flying in May, hopeful they'll make it! Which year? Ridiculous stuff.

People really aren't getting it. The social distancing nonsense is to maintain a sense of semi normality, and avoid panic. It's proven its not effective to stop the spread, but highly effective in keeping peoples heads firmly in the sand until such time authorities are ready as they can be for lockdown.

I changed my break from April to Mid October. I expect to need to change again to next April.

I’m immunocompromised. Does that mean I’m stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭De Danann

I'm currently in SE Asia (having left Ireland long before any of this started). I'm due to go home in a couple of months but nervous about travelling through airports and on flights in case of picking up this virus and carrying it back with me.
    The town I'm in currently is pretty empty so it's easy to keep up the social distancing. I'm thinking about pushing out my return date until later in the year to see how this all pans out.

No, we decided against it. The tourist attractions were closed in Poland so there was much less point going. The travel disruption was looking serious. As your friend is discovering, there's a serious amount of travel disruption around Europe at the moment so it was too risky to travel and looks like we were right.

Fair play. The right choice in the end In fairness, this situation is so fluid that it's hard for most of us to comprehend the rate at which our movement and way of life has changed (for now anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

De Danann wrote: »
    I'm currently in SE Asia (having left Ireland long before any of this started). I'm due to go home in a couple of months but nervous about travelling through airports and on flights in case of picking up this virus and carrying it back with me.
    The town I'm in currently is pretty empty so it's easy to keep up the social distancing. I'm thinking about pushing out my return date until later in the year to see how this all pans out.

I would consider where you are and the likelihood of local medical services getting overwhelmed as this is the real risk of the virus. If you are in Singapore, Thailand or Malaysia then I would hang around. Philippines or Indonesia are bit more riskier, they are currently being aided in the region with labs being flown in and additional medical equipment as they are short supply. Anywhere else could be a lottery.

I would have more faith being in Asia than europe at the moment. They are well drilled after similar viral outbreaks in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

[/QUOTE]I would have more faith being in Asia than europe at the moment. They are well drilled after similar viral outbreaks in recent years.[/QUOTE]

Lots of returnees returning to Asia from Europe right now, which now seems to be the epicenter of the pandemic. Potential for renewed outbreaks in Asia

no.8 wrote: »
    You look like some fool now. Best to pipe down and let the grown-ups talk

There is still only a 2% death rate. People have stopped traveling to tourist destinations because travel has been disrupted and tourist destinations are shut.

Playing the martyr might fool some people and some people might even fool themselves. Fact is most people didn't travel specifically because of the travel disruption, not because of fear of getting or spreading the virus.

I would have travelled on Thursday if the destination was open and I could get there and back without travel disruption.

It's like taking credit for not going to the pub when the pubs are shut.

There is still only a 2% death rate. People have stopped traveling to tourist destinations because travel has been disrupted and tourist destinations are shut.

Playing the martyr might fool some people and some people might even fool themselves. Fact is most people didn't travel specifically because of the travel disruption, not because of fear of getting or spreading the virus.

I would have travelled on Thursday if the destination was open and I could get there and back without travel disruption.

Why would you have gone if there was a chance you could spread the disease and harm people?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rusty the athlete

I think the majority are not traveling because they fear being infected by fools like you.

Why would you have gone if there was a chance you could spread the disease and harm people?

All the same reasons so many other people were travelling until the travel disruption became unavoidable. If you're convincing yourself that people all chose to not go to events BEFORE they were can ell, then you've done a really good job of self delusion.

People "choosing" to not go to things now that they've been prevented from going. It's amusing to watch.

• Advertisement

I think the majority are not traveling because they fear being infected by fools like you.

Just look at that statement. genuinely interesting to see people thinking they are not travelling by choice. I can guarantee you that if there was no travel disruption and tourist destinations were open, lots more people would be travelling.

They've done well to limit travel by making sure it's difficult.

All the same reasons so many other people were travelling until the travel disruption became unavoidable. If you're convincing yourself that people all chose to not go to events BEFORE they were can ell, then you've done a really good job of self delusion.

People "choosing" to not go to things now that they've been prevented from going. It's amusing to watch.

Speak for yourself. I was supposed to go to visit friends in Bristol next week, and as far as I know I could still go if I wanted, but as soon as a case was announced here I scrapped the idea. Not worth it.

Speak for yourself. I was supposed to go to visit friends in Bristol next week, and as far as I know I could still go if I wanted, but as soon as a case was announced here I scrapped the idea. Not worth it.

Good decision.

I speak for myself but I’m sure I speak for loads of other people. I’m sure there are plenty of people who would have travelled if their flights weren’t cancelled and their destinations shut. Plenty of people who would have been out in pubs yesterday if they weren’t closed.

Good decision.

I speak for myself but I’m sure I speak for loads of other people. I’m sure there are plenty of people who would have travelled if their flights weren’t cancelled and their destinations shut. Plenty of people who would have been out in pubs yesterday if they weren’t closed.

Well it's a pity such ignorance is out there

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Skyfloater

If this drags on until the summer holiday season, there's going to be serious pressure to cancel any travel restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Why would you go to your local Tesco today if there was a chance you could spread the disease and harm people?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Why would you go to your local Tesco today if there was a chance you could spread the disease and harm people?

Because food is necessary to survive, but the less we are out the less chance there is of spreading the virus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Good decision.

Cheltenham is proof of that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yep traveled today on a pretty empty A330 aircraft, haven’t got a clue as to when I shall get back home or even how. But right now my job falls into the category of required to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Having paid 3.5k for a family holiday in June .... I'm going !! (Should be grand !)

We have 2 trips arranged - 1st in April to Netherlands & 2nd to Rockies in late May.
    The problem is the Airlines have NOT cancelled the flights, but the destination countries "may" ?? require you to be quarantined when you arrive.

The Govt. needs to take a firmer response & just say to the Airlines that ALL flights are CANCELLED & that customers should be refunded...that's it IMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement