Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

moritz1234 wrote: »
    Spain - Worldometers
    6th 414
    7th 341
    8th 383
    9th 543
    10th 852
    11th 682
    12th 682
    13th 681
    14th 666

(5244 / 46755120) * 100,000 = 11.2158 cases
    Figures are correct but it’s the Catalonian outbreak which is mainly responsible for the big jump. If you consider that the Irish mainly go to the Canaries, Balearics and Costas there active cases are neglible and far lower than Ireland but unfortunately they’ll all probably be lumped in with Spain. I’m currently in the Canaries and their wearing of face masks, social distancing, sanitising etc. puts Ireland to shame.

Those figures aren't correct as they also include historic antibody tests. As I said, the figures for the last couple of days were 263 and 164 - not 680 each day. Spain's rolling 14 day per 100,000 is very close to ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Mr rebel wrote: »
    Would a “staycation” in Dublin be advisable I wonder? I know most people are heading to the coasts but I always prefer city breaks.
    There are some amazing hotel deals to be had there at the moment...basically 2 nights for the price of 1. One of my friends gasped in horror though when I told him I was considering going there later in the month.

We do not want people from countryside here in Dublin, stay home, save lives :D
    We've a lot of americans and bulgarians wandering around !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Damiencm

Dante7 wrote:
    Those figures aren't correct as they also include historic antibody tests. As I said, the figures for the last couple of days were 263 and 164 - not 680 each day. Spain's rolling 14 day per 100,000 is very close to ours.

All numbers are very subjective to be honest and we can only hope that when MM & Co. finalise the green list that the experts tell the 'whole' truth.

Taking Spain as our example, would NPHET clearly outline in their advice to cabinet that positive tests in recent days include a significant number of old cases???

You would have to wonder, if they do not are our politicians clued up enough to question the data??

The number of people being tested daily in each country will impact on figures.

Even in Ireland there was a piece on Matt Cooper today whereby close contacts of confirmed cases were refusing to take up the tests they were being offered and advised to take.. the mind boggles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Just got sent a WhatsApp from my brother and family in Lanzorote. Amazing amount of face masks and social distancing guidelines being adhered to by the looks of it.

He said they all feel safer there than in Dublin at present and the hotel is only half full at most making pool and sun lounger access a piece of cake.

Also said the Spanish have made them feel extra welcome as they are desperate for tourists to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

If it were me , I would book a trip now and take the gamble of the destination being on the green list. When the green list was announced in NI bookings jumped over 300% in a day. Coming from a low base I know. There is pent up demand from those who are not living in fear but are put off by the two week self isolation, prices will rise sharply.

Some huge bargains at the minute ive just been looking for the wife and daughter they'd love some holiday sunshine.

I'm off to Bilbao in a few weeks on the motorbike to do the pyrennes so can't join them unfortunately but the prices are very tempting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Any truth to the rumour that Irish public servants are banned from travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Including Micheal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

I ain’t the AG but I think that might come under the heading “legally difficult” to enforce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

A friend of mine who's wife works in the public service told me last week that she was told in no uncertain terms that holidays abroad were out of the question at the moment as it would mean taking up to 4 weeks off to allow for 2 weeks of quarantining on the way back. He was a bit amused as she struggles to take all of her holidays so could actually take 4 weeks and still have plenty of days left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

[/LIST]

A notification from PeoplePoint was sent out this evening, basically outlining the current public travel advice (saying it is a requirement to inform your employer if you are travelling abroad.....this i feel is surely illegal as the current information from the government is advice not requirement)

However, it says it will change as soon as public health/ travel advice changes, so I assume this will occur when the Green or A lists are issued next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Just got sent a WhatsApp from my brother and family in Lanzorote. Amazing amount of face masks and social distancing guidelines being adhered to by the looks of it.

He said they all feel safer there than in Dublin at present and the hotel is only half full at most making pool and sun lounger access a piece of cake.

Also said the Spanish have made them feel extra welcome as they are desperate for tourists to return.

Not surprised at all, tourism is the lifeblood of the Canaries, they have to take it seriously, I expect the same in Fuerteventura in September. AFAIK hotels can only operate at 50% or 60% capacity at the moment, you must have a mask with you too at all times so you can put it on when required like entering a supermarket etc, I'd expect also the police to target tourists & request to see their face covering, if you can't then you may be taking an accompanied stroll to the nearest ATM & proper order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Simon Coveney on Prime Time there reaffirming there will be the green list in place from next Monday. Didn't say it woulkd apply from next Monday but sounded fairly sure in the joint approach of applying a green list as well as toughening the quarantine from other countries. Surely it would make sense to implement these at the same time.

[/LIST]

A notification from PeoplePoint was sent out this evening, basically outlining the current public travel advice (saying it is a requirement to inform your employer if you are travelling abroad.....this i feel is surely illegal as the current information from the government is advice not requirement)

However, it says it will change as soon as public health/ travel advice changes, so I assume this will occur when the Green or A lists are issued next week.

I expect public service managers should be rightfully up in arms on that notification. I saw this correspondence since my post -

Where there is an intention to undertake non-essential travel overseas, all employees must make provision by way of an annual leave or unpaid leave application for the additional period of self-isolation,

“Surely illegal” should not be in a circular. Strange to issue something 4 days before a formal government decision.

I expect public service managers should be rightfully up in arms on that notification. I saw this correspondence since my post -

Where there is an intention to undertake non-essential travel overseas, all employees must make provision by way of an annual leave or unpaid leave application for the additional period of self-isolation,

“Surely illegal” should not be in a circular. Strange to issue something 4 days before a formal government decision.
    That is not from the circular, that is my commentary on their interpretation of advise as a requirement.

The fact this was issued 4 days before updated travel advice is an outrage.

And at 8pm in the evening? I wonder who wrote it and pushed it out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Presumably this doesn't apply to people working remote from home?

spockety wrote: »
    Presumably this doesn't apply to people working remote from home?

Indeed. WRC should be very busy with this.

That is not from the circular, that is my commentary on their interpretation of advise as a requirement.

The fact this was issued 4 days before updated travel advice is an outrage.

And at 8pm in the evening? I wonder who wrote it and pushed it out.

My apologies. Your interpretation is unbelievably correct. I meant to say that circulars are pretty serious and have a legal basis so quite extraordinary for the Dept to issue this.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

Re the PeoplePoint direction, "Where there is an intention to undertake non-essential travel overseas, all employees must make provision by way of an annual leave or unpaid leave application for the additional period of self-isolation"

Why not "all employees must make provision by way of an annual leave or unpaid leave application, or by way of working from home, for the additional period of self-isolation"?

scrips wrote:
    Re the PeoplePoint direction, "Where there is an intention to undertake non-essential travel overseas, all employees must make provision by way of an annual leave or unpaid leave application for the additional period of self-isolation"

I'm not in the public sector so it makes no personal odds but can anyone point me to anywhere where a definition is given for "essential travel"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

I would love a definition of non-essential (or, more pertinent perhaps, essential) travel... does one exist?

• Advertisement

I would love to know who the 'Irish authorities' are too, almost like it was written by a third-party, a real strange one.

It ought to get some response when people check their emails in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I ain’t the AG but I think that might come under the heading “legally difficult” to enforce

Gardai, Health workers and Prison officers advised that travel overseas will cost them 2 weeks leave or two weeks non-paid leave for isolation

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

All a bit strange, no more than the school principals going off on a solo run in the past week also.

Scenario: public servant decides feck it, I need a holiday with some actual sunshine. Off to Alicante I go.

It just so happens that I have a makey uppy Aunt living in Alicante who's husband is terminally ill with no family nearby. Deemed an essential reason to travel surely?

Who is going to call that person a liar with a follow up investigation?

Before anyone starts on the moral rights and wrongs, the policy is plainly impossible to police.

Also why the email/notification now when it appears we will have some sort of green list for travel without quarantine on return within a few days?

It's just yet another example of something that makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

I think that email to civil servants was meant to be sent a few weeks ago and wasn't, and they had to be seen to have sent it, so did so last night! I believe it's related to workers in front line type roles. Other servants in office jobs have been told just to continue working remotely and avoid personal contact for 2 wks.

I think there will indeed be an updated communication after 20th.

The Government are running the Country and they are asking people to self isolate on return from any trip abroad.
    I do not see why they should ask families to take the hit for flights that they paid for months ago.
    Airlines are running flights and if Governments do not want to travel they should have talked to the Airlines instead of harrasing the people who pay their taxes.

Of course airlines will be run flights sure according to Ryanair everywhere is open and feel free to go to Italy Spain Greece yet don’t worry the fact situation is worsening in most countries. Yes people may lose out on money but your health and that of your family and friends is more important .

It’s not rocket science travel if it’s essential only. Holidays are not essential

Ireland Has a New Coronavirus Fear: Americans Who Flout Quarantine

[url] https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/world/europe/Ireland-americans-break-quarantine.html[/url]

Of course airlines will be run flights sure according to Ryanair everywhere is open and feel free to go to Italy Spain Greece yet don’t worry the fact situation is worsening in most countries. Yes people may lose out on money but your health and that of your family and friends is more important .

It’s not rocket science travel if it’s essential only. Holidays are not essential

Indeed. We should probably go back to the 20km limit, close hotels and bars, and effectively stop all holidays domestic and foreign. The Gardai need to have more powers in respect to house parties (perhaps a referendum needed with postal voting for all) and there needs to be big fines for landlords.

Probably time to stop the Covid 19 payment also as we will not be able to afford it for the next 3/4 years when we might have a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

That's completely ridiculous, you have as much chance catching the virus on O'Connell street than in Athens

Can people really not grasp this point? Non essential travel to countries with similar infection rates should be allowed.

Otherwise we will be locked up for next 3 to 5 years , but perhaps you want that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Damiencm wrote: »
    All a bit strange, no more than the school principals going off on a solo run in the past week also.

Scenario: public servant decides feck it, I need a holiday with some actual sunshine. Off to Alicante I go.

It just so happens that I have a makey uppy Aunt living in Alicante who's husband is terminally ill with no family nearby. Deemed an essential reason to travel surely?

Who is going to call that person a liar with a follow up investigation?

Before anyone starts on the moral rights and wrongs, the policy is plainly impossible to police.

Also why the email/notification now when it appears we will have some sort of green list for travel without quarantine on return within a few days?

It's just yet another example of something that makes no sense.

You can see from this thread and others, that logic is not a requirement for a large proportion of the population. It is enough that someone in authority tells you to do something.

They are no doubt banking on this phenomenon.

• Advertisement

You can see from this thread and others, that logic is not a requirement for a large proportion of the population. It is enough that someone in authority tells you to do something.

They are no doubt banking on this phenomenon.

We are far better relying on good laws, practices, consultation and enforcement rather than this behavioural science kicking the can down the road mumbo jumbo crap that we are now getting.

It will create massive issues down the line and people in Government buildings will be looking around wondering who was the bright spark who suggested this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement