Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

HOWEVER I think the reason people are scared about imported cases in this country is that we are a ISLAND. We have the ability to contain our cases within the State and have less movement of people , unlike European countries with open borders. Its great to see the progress we made, and a lot of of that was because we could limit travel and almost completely shut the country down during at the beginning.

Just because we have the ability to do something does not justify doing it.
    I don't know why a lot of Irish people incorrectly think that it's impossible for European countries to isolate themselves just because they share a land border with their neighbours.
    Simply closing the main motorway crossings to passenger vehicles would deter well over 90% of cross border traffic.
    The Pyrenees and the Alps naturally limit the number of crossing points and Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Slovenia could overnight stop cross border travel if they wanted.
    But they don't want to, because they recognise the benefit of not being insular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

My handwriting is very bad - hope they're able to read my mobile number on the form :pac:

As a lay person I should not feel justified in calling these experts idiots.
    New Zealand is 6 hours flight time to it's nearest neighbour.

They are experts in their field - epidemiology and infectious diseases. That's an important point - not in economics or public health policy. They should be listened to in conjunction with other experts.

Noted and duly ignored should be the current response.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

But about those Germans, I wonder what Spanish people think. Of course, the Germans want to justify their beach vacation.
    In general, they are happy to be getting somewhat back to normal and reviving the economy. I read yesterday that Spain had the highest rate of mask use and there has been a noticeably strict adherence to the recommendations put in place.

Of course, there are some complaints but most people are in favour of opening up (given the importance of tourism) while following the guidelines as they develop. For example, today the region I live in made masks mandatory for pretty much everything and the vast majority of people are wearing them.

It's a sensible yet realistic approach and I can't for the life of me understand, when things are even better in Ireland, that they are still dilly-dallying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They are experts in their field - epidemiology and infectious diseases. That's an important point - not in economics or public health policy. They should be listened to in conjunction with other experts.

Noted and duly ignored should be the current response.

I get they are experts but this repeated reference to an island nation 6 hours by plane form it's nearest neighbour and our country is a comparison beyond stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

Looking at the 14 day stats this morning from the ECDPC, Ireland is on 3.6/100k. Is Italy, at 4.6/100k likely to be on the green list?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I note that the ECDC is showing 12.1/100k 14 day new cases in France. I think a lot of that is caused by their territories in South America. It would be good to see a figure just for the mainland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

faceman wrote: »
    I get that but what I am saying is they dont even have additional staff in the airport to ensure forms are being completed there.

Spain hired hundreds of additional airport staff, including medical, for airpots to ensure forms are completed and to do temperature checks. Its beyond me why as a simple first step we aren't doing the same.

Exactly, it demonstrates the utter incompetence of the government to make decisions and the complete OTT influence given to NPHET guidance as well as the inconsistent, fear mongering media. Who suffers? The people who have followed the guidance the last few months, but now are looking at a hopelessly mixed message coming from the decision makers and the media;

1. Don't do foreign travel, yet flights are not restricted to Ireland and there is no airport testing or legal enforcement of the quarantining guidance so actually nothing will happen if you want to go abroad.

2. Do a stay-cation but actually pubs aren't allowed to open and if the weather is bad, tough, as hotels can't open gyms, pools and spas so there's not a lot for you to do.

3. Wear masks on public transport, it's mandatory but we still need to close off most of the seats on the bus for social distancing. Actually, it's not even being enforced as the drivers don't want to do it and what we said before about masks not being that important was nonsense.

4. We need to lockdown to flatten the curve which will enable our health service to be able to manage the cases that need treatment. For the majority of us, it won't be harmful, but for the vulnerable we need to ensure they can be treated. The same numbers will be infected over time but at least we won't overwhelm the health system. Actually, let's crush the curve.

5. Nursing homes, public visits do not need to be restricted. Actually, massive failure of the CMO and authorities resulting in most deaths from those "with" covid occurring in nursing home settings.

6. BLM protests, traveller and Garda funerals okay but SF-attended funerals bad.

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    Looking at the 14 day stats this morning from the ECDPC, Ireland is on 3.6/100k. Is Italy, at 4.6/100k likely to be on the green list?

Even with a review of specific EU countries' data, it is probably irrelevant considering the UK already has a green list and we have an open border with the UK so, regardless of data considerations or fears of a second wave etc., it is pointless to delay the publishing of our green list any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Exactly, it demonstrates the utter incompetence of the government to make decisions and the complete OTT influence given to NPHET guidance as well as the inconsistent, fear mongering media. Who suffers? The people who have followed the guidance the last few months, but now are looking at a hopelessly mixed message coming from the decision makers and the media;

1. Don't do foreign travel, yet flights are not restricted to Ireland and there is no testing or legal enforcement of the quarantining guidance so actually nothing will happen if you want to go abroad.

2. Do a stay-cation but actually pubs aren't allowed to open and if the weather is bad, tough, as hotels can't open gyms, pools and spas so there's not a lot for you to do.

3. Wear masks on public transport, it's mandatory but we still need to close off most of the seats on the bus for social distancing. Actually, it's not even being enforced as the drivers don't want to do it and what we said before about masks not being that important was nonsense.

4. We need to lockdown to flatten the curve which will enable our health service to be able to manage the cases that need treatment. For the majority of us, it won't be harmful, but for the vulnerable we need to ensure they can be treated. The same numbers will be infected over time but at least we won't overwhelm the health system. Actually, let's crush the curve.

5. Nursing homes, public visits do not need to be restricted. Actually, massive failure of the CMO and authorities resulting in most deaths from"with" covid occurring in nursing home settings.

6. BLM protests, traveller and Garda funerals okay but SF-attended funerals bad.
    . If pubs not allowed to open, there will be war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

1. Don't do foreign travel, yet flights are not restricted to Ireland and there is no testing or legal enforcement of the quarantining guidance so actually nothing will happen if you want to go abroad.

5. Nursing homes, public visits do not need to be restricted. Actually, massive failure of the CMO and authorities resulting in most deaths from"with" covid occurring in nursing home settings.

well said, but i wouldnt lay blame all with government - it is government derpartments that are to blame. It wouldnt matter who is in government, the same thing would be happening (or not happening)

Hubertj wrote: »
    well said, but i wouldnt lay blame all with government - it is government derpartments that are to blame. It wouldnt matter who is in government, the same thing would be happening (or not happening)

Well considering we had no government for weeks during lockdown, it was very much the civil servants running the show and, while I've never experienced it firsthand myself, I think there is a lot of incompetence in the civil service, particularly among those given seniority solely based on duration of service!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

5. Nursing homes, public visits do not need to be restricted. Actually, massive failure of the CMO and authorities resulting in most deaths from those "with" covid occurring in nursing home settings.

Excellent post. It would be laughable if it wasn’t so serious.

fawlty682 wrote: »
    . If pubs not allowed to open, there will be war.

People will just keep meeting up in their homes and not social distancing as they have been doing for the past number of months. You'd think the notion of people meeting just appears with the pubs due to open; it is laughable.

I would actually argue that the pub setting is better than the current situation as people will be told that it is table service only and tables are spread out. This doesn't happen at dinner parties and BBQs!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I note that the ECDC is showing 12.1/100k 14 day new cases in France. I think a lot of that is caused by their territories in South America. It would be good to see a figure just for the mainland.

I think it's about 5.7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

No comment here because we know it is everybody has to look after themselves, there is no government in this country.

Pathetic. MM hang your head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

So was the quarantine bull**** extended or not? I'm off Friday back Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

So was the quarantine bull**** extended or not? I'm off Friday back Monday

Nothing official. But RTE saying it will be postponed. No green list today anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

No green list Monday for sure from what the papers are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

I thought with months sitting on the sidelines ready to take over Martin would've come in with a plan but looks like it doesn't go much further than kicking the can down the road and hoping to follow the UK's lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

faceman wrote: »
    No green list Monday for sure from what the papers are saying

The most pathetic thing I have heard all year.

Arrest me when I visit my EU neighbours with lower COVID rates than here and dont isolate. What a shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

People will just keep meeting up in their homes and not social distancing as they have been doing for the past number of months. You'd think the notion of people meeting just appears with the pubs due to open; it is laughable.

I would actually argue that the pub setting is better than the current situation as people will be told that it is table service only and tables are spread out. This doesn't happen at dinner parties and BBQs!

Its not laughable as I'm sure you don't invite random strangers into your house
    That's effectively what you do going into a pub where there's no social distancing
    Theres no hepa filtered air in an indoor pub setting

Theres talk this evening about doing something about house parties
    As we currently have a government that can bring in new legislation, their days unregulated are numbered
    You slap a big fine off the householders salary slip, taken directly by revenue and there'll soon be no more corona parties
    The handmaid's tale here we come, all because people can't be bothered to cop on

The most pathetic thing I have heard all year.

Arrest me when I visit my EU neighbours with lower COVID rates than here and dont isolate. What a shambles.

Who will arrest you and for what crime?

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Its not laughable as I'm sure you don't invite random strangers into your house
    That's effectively what you do going into a pub where there's no social distancing
    Theres no hepa filtered air in an indoor pub setting

Theres talk this evening about doing something about house parties
    As we currently have a government that can bring in new legislation, their days unregulated are numbered
    You slap a big fine off the householders salary slip, taken directly by revenue and there'll soon be no more corona parties
    The handmaid's tale here we come, all because people can't be bothered to cop on

One of the funniest and most ridiculous posts I've read on any of these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

When this green list does eventually appear I'm expecting a lot of people will be very disappointed. I think it will be a very small list and won't feature many of the big European holiday destinations. The Government just don't want to make a decision, take the lead on something and go against anything the medical profession is telling them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

The green list is still coming out on Monday apparently.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1283470866106458116

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Micheal Martin has confirmed in the press briefing that there will be a green list on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭normanoffside

MM just said he won't be self-Isolating when he comes back from Brussels after this weekend.
    Will instead get tested on day 0 and Day 7.

Nice for him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think we are looking at a combination of a green list for no quarantine, but official advise against travel even for green list countries. This will spook a decent proportion of people out of traveling with no insurance.

Classic move.

• Advertisement

MM just said he won't be self-Isolating when he comes back from Brussels after this weekend.
    Will instead get tested on day 0 and Day 7.

Nice for him.

Hopefully the only swab available has a diameter of two inches.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement