Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Cannot see how going to see family in UK is so dangerous. They seem to be getting on with it without permanent squinting after the neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

fawlty682 wrote: »
    Cannot see how going to see family in UK is so dangerous. They seem to be getting on with it without permanent squinting after the neighbours.

Another large town over there is warning they're heading for another lock down, like Leeds, if its residents continue to behave the way they do .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

One of the funniest and most ridiculous posts I've read on any of these threads.
    Not really, corona parties to be capped at 10 people from monday
    The greenlist out will mean travel insurance becomes valid again for those countries

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

MM just said he won't be self-Isolating when he comes back from Brussels after this weekend.
    Will instead get tested on day 0 and Day 7.

Nice for him.

Test me too MM for fu.. sake once I am back from Belgium . Enough of your bu..hit ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah here, back to my cave I go now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Mortelaro wrote: »
    The greenlist out will mean travel insurance becomes valid again for those countries

I wasn't aware Corona parties were a thing in Ireland, prefer Peroni myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I wasn't aware Corona parties were a thing in Ireland, prefer Peroni myself.

Not funny
    Old joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Can't see how they can possibly bring in legislation to stop more than 10 people gathering in a private home. How would this even be enforced? Can't see guards getting a warrant to enter a house to count the number of people at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Is it not a sad day that our leader is swayed by sentiment by a tiny cohort on twitter.

It is appalling to see us stoop so low.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Is it not a sad day that our leader is swayed by sentiment by a tiny cohort on twitter.

It is appalling to see us stoop so low.

Obligatory 'Sinn Fein are in agreement with the decision' post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

RoryMac wrote: »
    Can't see how they can possibly bring in legislation to stop more than 10 people gathering in a private home. How would this even be enforced? Can't see guards getting a warrant to enter a house to count the number of people at home.

Require the householder to identify the number of people present and if that a false declaration is made then throw the book at them. You could just wait outside for a while and see who came out. Also prosecute those there for taking part in a criminal gathering.

They need to do something, this disease is not a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not funny
    Old joke

I find it funny that anyone thinks house parties can be stopped.

Require the householder to identify the number of people present and if that a false declaration is made then throw the book at them. You could just wait outside for a while and see who came out. Also prosecute those there for taking part in a criminal gathering.

They need to do something, this disease is not a joke.

Lol that's nuts and not gonna happen

MM just said he won't be self-Isolating when he comes back from Brussels after this weekend.
    Will instead get tested on day 0 and Day 7.

Nice for him.

Business travel is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Equally not all personal travel is holidays. Loads of people in Ireland have been desperate to know if they can travel to see family this summer, warned against it in the strongest terms possible and told they must self-isolate on return. As the architect of this confusion, the taoiseach then jets off himself and skips self isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Thanks god MM is gonna show the sheep good example ! He'll fill out the form and isolate himself after jorney to Brussels !

gral6 wrote: »
    Thanks god MM is gonna show the sheep good example ! He'll fill out the form and isolate himself after jorney to Brussels !

Wouldn't put it past him to announce the green list on Monday with just Belgium on it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,997 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yep but we are still supposed to self-isolate on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I find it funny that anyone thinks house parties can be stopped.

I find it sinister that any one would want a house party to be stopped. That anyone would "criminalise" human social activity!

Wallander wrote: »
    Equally not all personal travel is holidays. Loads of people in Ireland have been desperate to know if they can travel to see family this summer, warned against it in the strongest terms possible and told they must self-isolate on return. As the architect of this confusion, the taoiseach then jets off himself and skips self isolation.

I'm not suggesting it hasn't been half assed but the simple reality is there's a non exhaustive list and attending to family and business is deemed ESSENTIAL therefore not subject to the same limits.

It's an easily found list on the internet. If people are looking to travel, they should do some research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

6th July to 15th July
    10 day analysis
    Cases per 100,000 people

Rep of Ireland 3.3
    UK 9.57
    Spain 13.09*
    Germany 3.95
    Italy 3.13
    France 7.88

* Spain includes historical antibody test results as well. If anyone has just the cases only data please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 u1navxomlkrjq7

I'm not suggesting it hasn't been half assed but the simple reality is there's a non exhaustive list and attending to family and business is deemed ESSENTIAL therefore not subject to isolation on return.

It's an easily found list on the internet. If people are looking to travel, they should do some research.

Where did you see that? I'm looking here and there seems to be no differentiation between essential and non essential travel - seems the advice to self isolate is universal

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

moritz1234 wrote: »
    6th July to 15th July
    10 day analysis
    Cases per 100,000 people

Rep of Ireland 3.3
    UK 9.57
    Spain 13.09*
    Germany 3.95
    Italy 3.13
    France 7.88

* Spain includes historical antibody test results as well. If anyone has just the cases only data please let me know.

Where are you getting your France case numbers from? It looks like you have excluded Guyana.. are you doing that by hand or have you found a source of data for mainland France only?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

moritz1234 wrote: »
    6th July to 15th July
    10 day analysis
    Cases per 100,000 people

Rep of Ireland 3.3
    UK 9.57
    Spain 13.09*
    Germany 3.95
    Italy 3.13
    France 7.88

Spain's last 3 days:

Wednesday 15th
    New Cases reported: 875
    Within 24 hours: 390

Tuesday 14th
    New Cases reported: 666
    Within 24 hours: 263

Monday 13th
    New Cases reported: weekend total reported of 2,045
    Within 24 hours: 164

Going by those numbers 65-60% cases are historical antibody test results and almost 75% of new cases come from Catalunya and Aragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

So with the green list being revised every two weeks you could find yourself booking a green region after the list is published on Monday with the premise that you don't need to quarantine upon your return. So between the time that you book and the time that you return you could find yourself in the scenario where you will have to quarantine if that region is taken off the green list.

So it's a green list with a huge asterix beside it so again mixed messages and no real clear direction. Business travel is required and deemed essential in my line of work and up to now we have managed as best we can without whilst waiting for guidance that will help us dictate the Covid travel policy going forward to manage the risk. All agreed that this virus isn't going away anytime soon so we just wait? and wait? and wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

The Government have no plan except hope said the Vintners representative and he is right. The public shouldn’t travel, wear masks etc. I can live with that if I saw a possible end but I cannot. It’s unbelievable that we have no proper airport measures in place still. Guidelines are not issued in good time without consultation. The GRA rep made a good point that there should be a Garda influence on NPHET. We are being ruled by medics who are well heeled and never see a poor day. I will certainly travel to reasonably safe country where weather allows me outside mostly in preference to staying here with summer over, in the west of the country. Otherwise head for Wexford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0715/1153544-civil-service-quarantine/

public service employees who undertake non-essential foreign travel must use additional annual leave or pre-arranged unpaid leave to self-isolate for 14 days on return.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

fawlty682 wrote: »
    The GRA rep made a good point that there should be a Garda influence on NPHET. We are being ruled by medics who are well heeled and never see a poor day.

Shouldn't it be the case that Nphet is the medical advice only, and Govt. are supposed to represent the people, the economy and wider society in general... Nphet aren't infallible, so their advice should be only part of the consideration on how to unlock society, not be the only advice which matters and directs state policy....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0715/1153544-civil-service-quarantine/

public service employees who undertake non-essential foreign travel must use additional annual leave or pre-arranged unpaid leave to self-isolate for 14 days on return.

I was thinking that, basically for two weeks holidays one would need a month to get through all the red tape and guidelines.

is it worth the hassle, two weeks in a rented house in Doolin or Dingle would be more fun than a sh1t hole on the continent.

At least the air is fresh air here and one can buy supplies and enjoy the staycation..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

nthclare wrote: »
    I was thinking that, basically for two weeks holidays one would need a month to get through all the red tape and guidelines.

is it worth the hassle, two weeks in a rented house in Doolin or Dingle would be more fun than a sh1t hole on the continent.

At least the air is fresh air here and one can buy supplies and enjoy the staycation..

Why would you go on holiday to a ****hole on the continent with no fresh air? I think you need a new travel agent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement