Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

nthclare wrote: »
    I was thinking that, basically for two weeks holidays one would need a month to get through all the red tape and guidelines.

is it worth the hassle, two weeks in a rented house in Doolin or Dingle would be more fun than a sh1t hole on the continent.

At least the air is fresh air here and one can buy supplies and enjoy the staycation..

You definitely need to find a new holiday destination and review the type of accommodation you stay in and find a good location where you can “buy supplies”.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be the case that Nphet is the medical advice only, and Govt. are supposed to represent the people, the economy and wider society in general... Nphet aren't infallible, so their advice should be only part of the consideration on how to unlock society, not be the only advice which matters and directs state policy....
    Which is how it works, and works well. NPHET gives the medical advice, and the government makes the decisions - and by the sounds of it, the government has already over-ruled the medical advice a few times.

It sounds like something Donald Trump would come up with to say that NPHET should be muzzled by putting non-medical people on their group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0715/1153544-civil-service-quarantine/

public service employees who undertake non-essential foreign travel must use additional annual leave or pre-arranged unpaid leave to self-isolate for 14 days on return.

This is surely ripe to be taken apart in court, if the person travels to a green list country. Totally draconian.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0715/1153544-civil-service-quarantine/

public service employees who undertake non-essential foreign travel must use additional annual leave or pre-arranged unpaid leave to self-isolate for 14 days on return.

... which means a headache for managers, many of whom are short-staffed in the summer months anyway. If an employee was granted a week off and that now has to turn into three weeks off, how can the public/civil service provide a decent level of service at all?

And is 'non-essential' foreign travel less safe than 'essential' foreign travel, hence the need to self-isolate for one and not the other? Hardly.

Many have been remote working anyway, as per COVID policy - so if that is deemed the safest measure then why not continue to facilitate that wherever feasible (obviously not feasible for many frontline staff though). In reality many managers will allow that, because they need their staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

hmmm wrote: »
    Which is how it works, and works well. NPHET gives the medical advice, and the government makes the decisions - and by the sounds of it, the government has already over-ruled the medical advice a few times.

It sounds like something Donald Trump would come up with to say that NPHET should be muzzled by putting non-medical people on their group.

Thanks for pointing out what I said.

Also, I don't see where I said Nphet should be muzzled.. and something about Trump??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    You definitely need to find a new holiday destination and review the type of accommodation you stay in and find a good location where you can “buy supplies”.

Not really,I prefer to holiday where there's fresh air, zero crowd's and more to do.

Those package holidays and idiot's on the streets getting sick and running around like ape's and loud music and scumbags everywhere don't do it for me to be honest.

How can you suggest that the air in the med or the baleric Islands is fresher than our own air ?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

It turns out actually Ireland isn't totally unique in Europe in its approach, Russia has almost an identical policy:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/05/29/russia-wants-to-spark-a-domestic-tourism-boom-will-it-work-a70411

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Not really,I prefer to holiday where there's fresh air, zero crowd's and more to do.

Those package holidays and idiot's on the streets getting sick and running around like ape's and loud music and scumbags everywhere don't do it for me to be honest.

How can you suggest that the air in the med or the baleric Islands is fresher than our own air ?

attachment_90207976

I always carry one of these while getting a healthy dose of sunshine and vitamin D on my Spanish holiday

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

scrips wrote: »
    ... which means a headache for managers, many of whom are short-staffed in the summer months anyway. If an employee was granted a week off and that now has to turn into three weeks off, how can the public/civil service provide a decent level of service at all?

And is 'non-essential' foreign travel less safe than 'essential' foreign travel, hence the need to self-isolate for one and not the other? Hardly.

Many have been remote working anyway, as per COVID policy - so if that is deemed the safest measure then why not continue to facilitate that wherever feasible (obviously not feasible for many frontline staff though). In reality many managers will allow that, because they need their staff.

Pretty sure I read that people working remotely will still have to do it as a measure of solidarity with their colleagues across the entire civil service who aren't able to work remotely. Bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

Wallander wrote: »
    It turns out actually Ireland isn't totally unique in Europe in its approach, Russia has almost an identical policy:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/05/29/russia-wants-to-spark-a-domestic-tourism-boom-will-it-work-a70411

Russia is not in the EU. Russia is also the largest country in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

VG31 wrote: »
    Russia is not in the EU. Russia is also the largest country in the world.

That's my point precisely...well also that it has spent the past decade trying to undermine the EU while fermenting paranoid nationalism at home. Kind of scary Irish politicians would come to the same conclusions as them.

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    attachment_90207976

I always carry one of these while getting a healthy dose of sunshine and vitamin D on my Spanish holiday

Great idea, I suppose we're all different I'm a staycation kind of guy.

As I'm a tree surgeon and get plenty of sunshine all year round, plenty of vitamin D even though it's dull I think I get enough.

Sometimes in the evening after work,I have to stay in because of an almost over dose of the sun or daylight.

I hope you get away somewhere sooner rather than later, enjoy your summer :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Greetings from the south east of Spain. I'm not on holiday but I'm sure there are ways to take package holidays to some of the areas around here.

I did take a tourist day today as I've no work. I went to one of the national reserves by the coast. It was very quiet because tourism is low here for the summer. I got a bit tired half way around, so I made a stop at a local cafe, had some tapas and a beer on the terrace. All for less than €6.

The weather is absolutely beautiful. I will have to drive back to my house shortly but I need to get diesel. Not to worry, my local garage is selling diesel for 95c a litre.

Tonight Im going to go for dinner as a celebration in a very fancy restaurant in the next town. I'll bring €50 with me because I might have a few drinks afterwards. That will leave me with some leftover to run to the shops in the morning. The town has a Main Street with many restaurants and bars. Its quite pleasant. While during a regular summer its busy, there's never anything that you'd see on tabloid TV. Its so great this summer because tourism is low.

We have to wear masks here, but it doesn't bother most people. This region had some of the lowest rates of C19 in Spain. In fact this region, with a population of 5m, had less Coronavirus than Ireland. Imagine that.

Do report back and let us know how the €6 pints are in the west of Ireland, sitting indoors because its raining outside, moaning about all those loose cannons who may be considering going abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Work colleague just got two weeks in the Algarve for himself, wife and 3 kids for 1550 euro flights and transfers included going out Saturday week. If Portugal is green listed next week that will double id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

faceman wrote:
    Do report back and let us know how the €6 pints are in the west of Ireland, sitting indoors because its raining outside, moaning about all those loose cannons who may be considering going abroad.

What is the point of your post? Manny of us want to and will travel if it's possible. We get it. You are in Spain and it's lovely. No need to be taking such a smug tone about it. Many people will have to stay in Ireland by choice or otherwise. And it's a great place to holiday too.

faceman wrote: »
    Greetings from the south east of Spain. I'm not on holiday but I'm sure there are ways to take package holidays to some of the areas around here.

I did take a tourist day today as I've no work. I went to one of the national reserves by the coast. It was very quiet because tourism is low here for the summer. I got a bit tired half way around, so I made a stop at a local cafe, had some tapas and a beer on the terrace. All for less than €6.

The weather is absolutely beautiful. I will have to drive back to my house shortly but I need to get diesel. Not to worry, my local garage is selling diesel for 95c a litre.

Tonight Im going to go for dinner as a celebration in a very fancy restaurant in the next town. I'll bring €50 with me because I might have a few drinks afterwards. That will leave me with some leftover to run to the shops in the morning. The town has a Main Street with many restaurants and bars. Its quite pleasant. While during a regular summer its busy, there's never anything that you'd see on tabloid TV. Its so great this summer because tourism is low.

We have to wear masks here, but it doesn't bother most people. This region had some of the lowest rates of C19 in Spain. In fact this region, with a population of 5m, had less Coronavirus than Ireland. Imagine that.

Lucky you, lol I don't drink myself so I won't be spending €6 on a pint...

One doesn't have to be sitting indoors to enjoy a pint.
    It depends on what you're made of and how you're dressed for the occasion.

I can also eat in a fancy restaurant, the Gallery in Gort is as good as anything you'd find in Spain or Linnanes in Newquay Co Clare, Vaughan's in Ballyvaughan..

Horse's for course's and all that.

If you eat fish and it's from the Atlantic more than likely you're eating some of our stock, so you can thank the Irish for that :)

What is the point of your post? Manny of us want to and will travel if it's possible. We get it. You are in Spain and it's lovely. No need to be taking such a smug tone about it. Many people will have to stay in Ireland by choice or otherwise. And it's a great place to holiday too.

Absolutely, I love holidaying at home.
    I don't look at the cost and validate myself on monetary funds.
    I prefer to make the most of what I have.

Discover Ireland, I loved those adverts in the 80's when we had more creative and innovative marketing teams than the idiot's nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

There’s a lot more to travel than package holidays and resorts!!

Plenty of unspoiled beauty spots around Europe where it’s very easy to avoid hoards of tourists, and experience a bit of culture.

Holidays for everyone do not equal package holidays and British and Irish bars. You seemed to have a very limited view of international travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Lucky you, lol I don't drink myself so I won't be spending €6 on a pint...

One doesn't have to be sitting indoors to enjoy a pint.
    It depends on what you're made of and how you're dressed for the occasion.

I can also eat in a fancy restaurant, the Gallery in Gort is as good as anything you'd find in Spain or Linnanes in Newquay Co Clare, Vaughan's in Ballyvaughan..

Horse's for course's and all that.

If you eat fish and it's from the Atlantic more than likely you're eating some of our stock, so you can thank the Irish for that :)

Here's a photo I took in a polluted sh1thole last week. I should have told that bloke to put the Irish fish back.

• Advertisement

Dante7 wrote: »
    Here's a photo I took in a polluted sh1thole last week. I should have told that bloke to put the Irish fish back.

Lol he's probably using size 16 hooks, fleuro carbon, 8lbs braid and long snoods and small bait's for mini species.

Irish fish are easily caught in the mesh of Spanish net's.

Nice try but I don't think that'll work on someone who studied marine biology:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,833 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is there a fresh air test to see which is fresher?

I went to Kerry last weekend for 3 days. Went for a light dinner in a pub on Saturday evening. Very well isolated and the place was shining. Standard pub fare. 3 kids meals, 2 adult meals, 4 soft drinks, a glass of wine, 2 coffees and a brownie.....€118. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.
    Lots of American accents in Dingle on monday and a good few of them on inch beach on Saturday. Are we really any safer on holidays near Americans in Clare, Kerry, Mayo etc than we would be in a remote part of Spain or Italy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I went on a package holiday once when the kids were young. Can't say I remember it being to a ****hole. Maybe I was lucky and went to a reputable travel agent.
    That said have organised all our trips away myself since , about 40 odd of them. Will be heading away to the lastest one next month. Guaranteed sun, good food and better yet I will be able go to a bar in the evening after a days sightseeing without the wrath of curtain twitchers.

All joke's aside, I've been on foreign holiday in the sun myself in my 20's and early 30's

But now if I went somewhere outside Ireland I'd prefer Canada or Upstate New York.

I was only hypothetically suggesting that some people go to dodgy places on the Mediterranean or Baleric Islands.

I apologize if I came across as offensive or undermining anyone's holiday destination of choice...

My bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I was thinking that, basically for two weeks holidays one would need a month to get through all the red tape and guidelines.

is it worth the hassle, two weeks in a rented house in Doolin or Dingle would be more fun than a sh1t hole on the continent.

At least the air is fresh air here and one can buy supplies and enjoy the staycation..
    Did you actually read back over this condescending nonsense. **** hole in the continent as if Dingle or f-Ing Doolin are some kind of cultural Mecca’s. The air is fresh? What does that even mean? Buy supplies? Is there a shortage of supplies elsewhere that we don’t know about?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

spockety wrote: »
    Pretty sure I read that people working remotely will still have to do it as a measure of solidarity with their colleagues across the entire civil service who aren't able to work remotely. Bonkers.

Where did you hear this? Seems unenforceable given that anyone could just withold their plans from their work and not break government policy, nobody would ever need to know.

There are nomad remote workers who as a lifestyle choice, travel all over the world while doing remote work. I am sure many have a vpn they can use in there official resident country, so noone needs to know, if they maintain their times and output(nor would most managers care beyond data security)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

HSE have just issued a circular to staff - 14 day quarantine following return from overseas. Must be annual leave or unpaid and cannot work from home during the 14 days in lieu of taking the extra leave. Unless the Government lifts the 'no unnecessary travel' that's our hols screwed!! A weeks holiday but 3 weeks off work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭polarbearhead

HSE have just issued a circular to staff - 14 day quarantine following return from overseas. Must be annual leave or unpaid and cannot work from home during the 14 days in lieu of taking the extra leave. Unless the Government lifts the 'no unnecessary travel' that's our hols screwed!! A weeks holiday but 3 weeks off work :(

Does that apply even if the country is on a green list?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Does that apply even if the country is on a green list?

Yep! As long as Mehole and his sidekick says no non essential travel! Going to prove a nightmare for staff and management to try and provide cover etc if people still want to go. Can't get refunds as flights are going and hotels etc are opened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭polarbearhead

Yep! As long as Mehole and his sidekick says no non essential travel! Going to prove a nightmare for staff and management to try and provide cover etc if people still want to go. Can't get refunds as flights are going and hotels etc are opened.

Can see the unions challenging that for a start

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement