Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yep! As long as Mehole and his sidekick says no non essential travel! Going to prove a nightmare for staff and management to try and provide cover etc if people still want to go. Can't get refunds as flights are going and hotels etc are opened.
    When the "green list" is published, are you sure it won't shift? I can understand them saying it right now, and for any country not on the list, but a country on the green list makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

ixoy wrote: »
    When the "green list" is published, are you sure it won't shift? I can understand them saying it right now, and for any country not on the list, but a country on the green list makes no sense.

'This guidance will be reviewed in accordance with any changes to public health and travel advice'

On another thread there is a link to RTE where Leo mentions the green list but still advises against non-essential travel to areas on the green list which the HSE seem to have covered in their circular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My employer at present has advised us to heed government advice, however if a country is included on a green list Monday and you holiday there is no requirement for quarantine as that is the purpose of the green list. At least my employer is giving not giving mixed messages. Probably helps they are Mainland European based company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Can anyone clarify that simple question. Can we travel to a country on the green list on holiday without the need to quarantine on our return?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My employer at present has advised us to heed government advice, however if a country is included on a green list Monday and you holiday there is no requirement for quarantine as that is the purpose of the green list. At least my employer is giving not giving mixed messages. Probably helps they are Mainland European based company.

I can't see my US Multinational allowing International travel for the rest of the year to be honest. I'll be taking the family on a staycation this year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Can anyone clarify that simple question. Can we travel to a country on the green list on holiday without the need to quarantine on our return?

From listening to Radio 1 driving home it would appear we can. Though no certainty until Monday as to what counties will make the green list and exactly what criteria will be used.

I’ll be glued to social media all day Monday as we’re due to travel Friday.

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    From listening to Radio 1 driving home it would appear we can. Though no certainty until Monday as to what counties will make the green list and exactly what criteria will be used.

Thanks I appreciate you answering that let’s hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

If we still have to quarantine, would the green list not be completely pointless?

VG31 wrote: »
    If we still have to quarantine, would the green list not be completely pointless?

Yes it would that’s why I’m asking.

Inquitus wrote: »
    I can't see my US Multinational allowing International travel for the rest of the year to be honest. I'll be taking the family on a staycation this year!
    Interesting that a private company would impose restrictions on the private life of its staff even if the government gives the go ahead for a green list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I’m supposed to travel Monday!! Lunchtime!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

The Government has this evening clarified its approach to the easing of travel restrictions to and from some countries from next week.

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar confirmed in the Dáil this morning that the Government would on Monday publish a so-called 'Green List' of countries that have similar Covid-19 levels to Ireland.

The advice will be that travel to these countries will be possible without the requirement to self-isolate for a fortnight after returning home.

However, those travelling will be advised to exercise caution.

Some in Opposition said such a message is contradictory given that the Government has repeatedly stated in recent weeks that non-essential overseas travel should be avoided.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0716/1153727-travel-covid-restrictions/

It's not clear if this means that the non-essential travel advice is being lifted for the green list countries. If it drops to "high degree of caution" DFA travel advice that means that travel insurance would be valid for those countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Did you actually read back over this condescending nonsense. **** hole in the continent as if Dingle or f-Ing Doolin are some kind of cultural Mecca’s. The air is fresh? What does that even mean? Buy supplies? Is there a shortage of supplies elsewhere that we don’t know about?

I see you're very angry and that's understandable.
    I said all joke's aside, I was joking sweetheart do you understand.

Lay of the Carling Mick, what have you against Doolin or Dingle ?

One could rent out a nice house on the coastline, something with nice objet d'art...
    Buy their shopping in the local supermarket and have a nice relaxing week away from the gannets and jocks etc

Clonmel isn't exactly the Mecca of Munster now is it ?

Comming from the likes of Clonmel and suggesting that Doolin or Dingle is a resemblance of an Islamic place of pilgrimage seems a bit intelligent alright.

I suppose you'd compare the rock of cashel with the dome of the rock....

I enjoyed reading your rant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Interesting that a private company would impose restrictions on the private life of its staff even if the government gives the go ahead for a green list.

Sorry they are 2 separate statements, business travel will not resume this year imho. I will not be travelling privately with my family through my own choice!

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sorry they are 2 separate statements, business travel will not resume this year imho. I will not be travelling privately with my family through my own choice!

Business travel will be resuming for us conjunction with the green list.
    Enjoy the staycation, tbh you couldn't pay me enough.

nthclare wrote: »
    I see you're very angry and that's understandable.
    I said all joke's aside, I was joking sweetheart do you understand.

Lay of the Carling Mick, what have you against Doolin or Dingle ?

One could rent out a nice house on the coastline, something with nice objet d'art...
    Buy their shopping in the local supermarket and have a nice relaxing week away from the gannets and jocks etc

Clonmel isn't exactly the Mecca of Munster now is it ?

Comming from the likes of Clonmel and suggesting that Doolin or Dingle is a resemblance of an Islamic place of pilgrimage seems a bit intelligent alright.

I suppose you'd compare the rock of cashel with the dome of the rock....

I enjoyed reading your rant :)

Is this supposed to be funny?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Is this supposed to be funny?

Was that supposed to be a response, I never asked you for banter or suggested that I was trying to be funny.

You lambasted Dingle and Doolin, so I responded in kind.

So we'll leave it there, have a nice evening in the sunny south east...cheers

Where did you see that? I'm looking here and there seems to be no differentiation between essential and non essential travel - seems the advice to self isolate is universal

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

Yes. My apologies, I started typing, got sidetracked and made an incorrect statement.

It's been corrected

nthclare wrote: »
    Was that supposed to be a response, I never asked you for banter or suggested that I was trying to be funny.

You lambasted Dingle and Doolin, so I responded in kind.

So we'll leave it there, have a nice evening in the sunny south east...cheers

Who is Mick? What’s the reference to Carling?whats a jock and gannet? I’ve no idea what you are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Is there any hint of what countries will make this list? Having so many ties with Spain and owning a property here I will be outraged if this keeps up. And this business of employers getting heavy handed and issuing circulars to employees is unbelievable! Fine, we all know there is a pandemic but we're in the EU and what about our rights to our freedom of movement in our free time?? Several of us have given an account of our very safe travelling experiences yet the anti travel propaganda thunders on and many won't listen to reason.

Being outside Ireland makes me so aware of what a horrendous little nanny state it is. I've been here in Spain for almost a week and have at all times felt really safe. Life is going on here, people aren't obsessed with the virus like they are at home which is so refreshing. I've to go back on Monday and am doing so with a very heavy heart and very afraid that it will be difficult to come here for the foreseeable..And before anyone attacks me, I'm Irish born and bred,I come from one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland but I'm always dismayed at how insular many Irish people are, how judgemental and how easily brainwashed by those in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

acequion wrote: »
    Is there any hint of what countries will make this list? Having so many ties with Spain and owning a property here I will be outraged if this keeps up. And this business of employers getting heavy handed and issuing circulars to employees is unbelievable! Fine, we all know there is a pandemic but we're in the EU and what about our rights to our freedom of movement in our free time?? Several of us have given an account of our very safe travelling experiences yet the anti travel propaganda thunders on and many won't listen to reason.

Being outside Ireland makes me so aware of what a horrendous little nanny state it is. I've been here in Spain for almost a week and have at all times felt really safe. Life is going on here, people aren't obsessed with the virus like they are at home which is so refreshing. I've to go back on Monday and am doing so with a very heavy heart and very afraid that it will be difficult to come here for the foreseeable..And before anyone attacks me, I'm Irish born and bred,I come from one of the most beautiful counties in Ireland but I'm always dismayed at how insular many Irish people are, how judgemental and how easily brainwashed by those in power.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058096081/5/#post114055038

Thanks. Didn't know about that thread. Been taking as much a sabbatical as possible from all things Irish while I'm away. But starting to get very uneasy about the whole thing. Short of a war I never thought I'd see the day when our right to travel would be in jeopardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

To where?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

acequion wrote: »
    we all know there is a pandemic but we're in the EU and what about our rights to our freedom of movement in our free time??

Due to the Common Travel Area with the UK we aren't in Shengen and we therefore don't enjoy the full freedom of movement you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    To where?

By ferry to Bilbao. We have over 3 weeks away. Plan was Spain. So can head to France or Spain. Indeed if France makes a “list” and Spain doesn’t we still have a week in Spain with the latter 2 in France before we head home.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

VG31 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0716/1153727-travel-covid-restrictions/

It's not clear if this means that the non-essential travel advice is being lifted for the green list countries. If it drops to "high degree of caution" DFA travel advice that means that travel insurance would be valid for those countries.

Yep, the language changed today. Obviously everyone calling out this crazy notion of a green list going hand in hand with advice against travel to those countries has resulted in a tweak.

Sounds like the non essential travel advice will lift, and change to "be cautious".. I presume something specific will follow like you must abide by local rules and measures, and stick with social distancing and hygiene measures while abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Dante7 wrote: »
    Here's a photo I took in a polluted sh1thole last week. I should have told that bloke to put the Irish fish back.

Where is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

54and56 wrote: »
    Due to the Common Travel Area with the UK we aren't in Shengen and we therefore don't enjoy the full freedom of movement you are referring to.

EU citizens have rights to freedom of movement from EU directive 2004/38/EC. This has been transposed into Irish Statute book. Schengen just allows you to travel without border checks, but you don't need to be a member of Schengen to enjoy freedom of movement rights.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/548/made/en/print

54and56 wrote: »

Dante above answered for me. Personally, I very much value being a citizen of the EU and would be very wary of this tampering with my rights. In a state of emergency,fine, but just because one member state with a craven new Govt is skittish about getting schools opened? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

Dante7 wrote: »
    EU citizens have rights to freedom of movement from EU directive 2004/38/EC. This has been transposed into Irish Statute book. Schengen just allows you to travel without border checks, but you don't need to be a member of Schengen to enjoy freedom of movement rights.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/548/made/en/print

Don't think there's any argument between us. We have freedom of movement, just not as obstacle free as the Shengen area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement