Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Can anyone clarify that simple question. Can we travel to a country on the green list on holiday without the need to quarantine on our return?

Yes, but the green list will change every two weeks. Serbia & Montenegro were taken of the equivalent Schengen list today for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Dante7 wrote: »
    EU citizens have rights to freedom of movement from EU directive 2004/38/EC. This has been transposed into Irish Statute book. Schengen just allows you to travel without border checks, but you don't need to be a member of Schengen to enjoy freedom of movement rights.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/si/548/made/en/print
    Such freedom of movement rights can easily be temporarily revoked, even within Schengen. For example Austria closed its border with Italy when this was kicking off first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

acequion wrote: »
    Dante above answered for me. Personally, I very much value being a citizen of the EU and would be very wary of this tampering with my rights. In a state of emergency,fine, but just because one member state with a craven new Govt is skittish about getting schools opened? :eek:

Can't believe you are in Spain and spending your evening on an Irish discussion forum!!!

A pandemic commonly results in a country declaring a state of emergency and don't just take Wikipedia's word for it, see

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-declaring-national-emergency-concerning-novel-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-outbreak/

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/thinktank/en/document.html?reference=EPRS_BRI(2020)649408

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Such freedom of movement rights can easily be temporarily revoked, even within Schengen. For example Austria closed its border with Italy when this was kicking off first.

I know. Plenty of countries shut down their borders, even within their own territories. I was replying to the poster who was insinuating that we had diminished freedom of movement rights due to not being a member of Schengen. As things stand, if an EU country has us on a green list we are free to travel there as long as you have a passport. That's why the government are going heavy handed with the "advice". They know they can't legally stop people.

We can close our border to the EU. We cannot close our border to the UK, given that a UK passport gives residency rights in Ireland with no other registration and documentation required (even in schengen if a french person wants to settle in Spain they need to register and get a document). So an Irish border official could never be able to tell if a UK passport holder is actually a resident of Ireland. For all intents and purposes, from a residency perspective, Ireland and the UK are one and the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

We can close our border to the EU. We cannot close our border to the UK, given that a UK passport gives residency rights in Ireland with no other registration and documentation required (even in schengen if a french person wants to settle in Spain they need to register and get a document). So an Irish border official could never be able to tell if a UK passport holder is actually a resident of Ireland. For all intents and purposes, from a residency perspective, Ireland and the UK are one and the same

I thought with Brexit there would be changes

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought with Brexit there would be changes

Brexit doesn’t change the Common Travel Area. And the CTA agreement was renewed last year, it’s different to customs, movement of goods, where there will be a post Brexit border. The only thing that realistically might change the CTA is a united Ireland. But that’s for another thread. Normally it’s an overwhelmingly good agreement, given the number of people who have family or work or have homes in the UK, and vice versa. But perhaps not in a pandemic

54and56 wrote: »
    Due to the Common Travel Area with the UK we aren't in Shengen and we therefore don't enjoy the full freedom of movement you are referring to.

He absolutely does enjoy the freedom he refers to. He didn't mention passports or border control.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Can't believe you are in Spain and spending your evening on an Irish discussion forum!!!

A pandemic commonly results in a country declaring a state of emergency and don't just take Wikipedia's word for it, see

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-declaring-national-emergency-concerning-novel-coronavirus-disease-covid-19-outbreak/

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/thinktank/en/document.html?reference=EPRS_BRI(2020)649408

Do you really think I give a flying fcuk about what you, some randomer on the Internet,"can't believe" how Im spending my evening? What an incredibly ridiculous remark!

Also, perhaps you should read posts more closely before you rush to judge.I said I accept revoking rights in a state of emergency or in an out of control situation.But currently thats not the case.So Im very uncomfortable with the Irish approach.

Do you really think I give a flying fcuk about what you, some randomer on the Internet,"can't believe" how Im spending my evening? What an incredibly ridiculous remark!

Good morning to you too.

Given your charming statement and actions it seems there are plenty of things you don't give a "flying fcuk" about!
    Also, perhaps you should read posts more closely before you rush to judge.I said I accept revoking rights in a state of emergency or in an out of control situation.But currently thats not the case.So Im very uncomfortable with the Irish approach.

You accept revoking rights in a state of emergency.

You accept a pandemic is a state of emergency.

QED

Have a good day. Try to get away from the internet and enjoy the lovely sunshine and food etc. Maybe a nice coffee al fresco followed by a socially distanced walk on the beach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Well Said. We can temporarily call a state of emergency and on that basis close EU borders but a) we did not do this in March/April, and b) we could not close to EU and leave things open to US and GB. We have freedom of movement.

Have a great day doing whatever you choose to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Good morning to you too.

Given your charming statement and actions it seems there are plenty of things you don't give a "flying fcuk" about!

You accept revoking rights in a state of emergency.

You accept a pandemic is a state of emergency.

QED

Have a good day. Try to get away from the internet and enjoy the lovely sunshine and food etc. Maybe a nice coffee al fresco followed by a socially distanced walk on the beach?

If I was the poster you are replying to, I'd tell you to shove your advice up your arse and to mind your own fcukin business. Fcukin busybody lording it on the internet, trying to tell someone else what to do, dishing out advice based on incorrect understanding of international treaties. Piss off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Good news everyone. You don’t need to quarantine if you self determine your trip as essential and you opt for a test on your return.

Looks like Charlie Haughey is back as Taoiseach. This is a horrific demonstration of leadership

https://jrnl.ie/5152281

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Malaga Airport Noon yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Martin will be tested for Covid-19 as soon as he returns to Dublin this weekend and again seven days later as a precaution.
    due to the incubation period, testing on day 1 is a total waste of time.

100% mask wearing. Good to see

But I'll be staying in an apartment by myself enjoying the wonderful internet connection so I can tell everyone on Boards how safe it is in Spain.........honestly. :p

Dante7 wrote: »
    If I was the poster you are replying to, I'd tell you to shove your advice up your arse and to mind your own fcukin business. Fcukin busybody lording it on the internet, trying to tell someone else what to do, dishing out advice based on incorrect understanding of international treaties. Piss off.

Angry person says angry things for the sake of being pretend offended for someone else.

Boring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

So we're dealing with people who no matter what the consequences are they're hell bent on getting their holidays in the sun this year.

That's their choice, if that's what they need and they can go ahead and enjoy the atmosphere.

I was in Doolin yesterday evening and if you seen the antic's outside the pub's, it's the same as it ever was.

I live not far from there more in the Kilshanny area for now ,so I pass Doolin frequently.

It's the same type of people, the I'll do what I want no matter what...
    Few drinks and all responsibility and liability goes out the window.

It's this type of behaviour that undermines all the work put into opening up the pub's again.

Wonders never cease...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

faceman wrote: »
    Good news everyone. You don’t need to quarantine if you self determine your trip as essential and you opt for a test on your return.

Looks like Charlie Haughey is back as Taoiseach. This is a horrific demonstration of leadership

All the heads of the EU are at a meeting to agree a 7 year financial package for the EU and a Covid19 recovery find, and you bizarrely equate this to Haughey travelling to enrich himself?

You're quite off the mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

nthclare wrote: »
    So we're dealing with people who no matter what the consequences are they're hell bent on getting their holidays in the sun this year.

That's their choice, if that's what they need and they can go ahead and enjoy the atmosphere.

I was in Doolin yesterday evening and if you seen the antic's outside the pub's, it's the same as it ever was.

I live not far from there more in the Kilshanny area for now ,so I pass Doolin frequently.

It's this type of behaviour that undermines all the work put into opening up the pub's again.

Wonders never cease...

Gee, thanks for your permission.

faceman wrote: »

Not the same thing. This is an important negotiation that affects all of us. And, as many of us know after recent months, negotiation and difficult conversations on zoom, especially with multiple participants, is difficult. You can’t read body language and interaction is not dynamic in the same way as a face to face. If other leaders are going to be there in person it is absolutely essential that MM is there. I can’t think of many things more essential TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hurrache wrote: »
    All the heads of the EU are at a meeting to agree a 7 year financial package for the EU and a Covid19 recovery find, and you bizarrely equate this to Haughey travelling to enrich himself?

You're quite off the mark.

Ireland has the most draconian travel policy in the EU. It is a violation of our rights and I hope somebody challenges this policy in the courts

I don’t know what they are thinking. Things now are about as good as they are going to get virus wise for another 2 or 3 years.

Are they going to ban non essential travel for 2 or 3 years? When does it stop?

People need to get real here or we are going down a scary path that will destruct this country’s prosperity for more than a generation

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Dante7 - don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Angry person says angry things for the sake of being pretend offended for someone else.

Boring.

Get over yourself would you!!! It's patently apparent who the angry frustrated little person is. Who the finger pointer is. Pathetic. More of us have lives to live and opinions we're not afraid to express. Without the controllers and the judgers life would be great but I guess we can't have it all!

Thankfully here there is the ignore button.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ireland has the most draconian travel policy in the EU. It is a violation of our rights and I hope somebody challenges this policy in the courts

Fire away with your challenge so if you so think it's such a draconian violation of your rights, and write to your local TD demanding Ireland no longer partakes in extremely important EU meetings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Gee, thanks for your permission.

I don't understand your assumption ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hurrache wrote: »
    Fire away with your challenge so if you so think it's such a draconian violation of your rights, and write to your local TD demanding Ireland no longer partakes in extremely important EU meetings.

I think you’ve missed my point.

Of course Michael Martin should be in Brussels.

But so should other people be allowed visit COVID19 controlled countries in the EU for non essential purposes without be bullied and demonised.

As Glynn said yesterday there is no added risk of going to countries with similar epidemiological Profiles. Therefore why the heck can we not go there for non essential purposes.

It just makes absolutely no sense and is bang out of order

nthclare wrote: »

Wonders never cease...

It's easy for people like this to do what they want to do under the guise of some form of expression of "personal freedom".

Pity the Nurses, Doctors, HSE staff etc who are presented with a seriously ill patient who contracted Covid19 "expressing their freedom" don't have the personal freedom to not risk their own lives treating such people.

It's easy to write "personal freedom" cheques when it's other people who have to pay for it.

• Advertisement

Get over yourself would you!!! It's patently apparent who the angry frustrated little person is. Who the finger pointer is. Pathetic. More of us have lives to live and opinions we're not afraid to express. Without the controllers and the judgers life would be great but I guess we can't have it all!

Thankfully here there is the ignore button.:rolleyes:

PZHwtZ.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement