Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

54and56 wrote: »
    It's easy for people like this to do what they want to do under the guise of some form of expression of "personal freedom".

Pity the Nurses, Doctors, HSE staff etc who are presented with a seriously ill patient who contracted Covid19 "expressing their freedom" don't have the personal freedom to not risk their own lives treating such people.

It's easy to write "personal freedom" cheques when it's other people who have to pay for it.

I take it form your posts you won't be travelling outside of Ireland this year?
    So is the purpose of the rest of your comments to castigate those that are willing to travel and to impose your own set of morals on them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

It's easy for people like this to do what they want to do under the guise of some form of expression of "personal freedom".

Pity the Nurses, Doctors, HSE staff etc who are presented with a seriously ill patient who contracted Covid19 "expressing their freedom" don't have the personal freedom to not risk their own lives treating such people.

It's easy to write "personal freedom" cheques when it's other people who have to pay for it.

Absolutely, I concur.

Hypothetically even if the risk of catching it is low, with all the hype and seriousness of the present situation, people should just go with the status quo and behave themselves.

It's now showing that reasonably fit people who have "recovered' are showing symptoms and their immune system is compromised worse than suspected.

I for one am not going to trade the possibility of having a shot immune system for the sake of a few scoops of hooch with the lads and women...

All clustered together and having a hooley.

That could be done at a reasonable distance and you could still relax and enjoy one another's company.

If this keeps going on there will be an outright ban on the sales of liquor in supermarkets.

But if people don't ruin it for the mature responsible drinkers it'll be all down to the plebs who couldn't give a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

I do know one nurse who traveled, for a holiday, during this, she has a strong sense of personal freedom - or maybe believes she knows how to take adequate precautions. At the time, personally I wouldn't have but she was none the worse for it.

nthclare wrote: »
    So we're dealing with people who no matter what the consequences are they're hell bent on getting their holidays in the sun this year.

That's their choice, if that's what they need and they can go ahead and enjoy the atmosphere.

I was in Doolin yesterday evening and if you seen the antic's outside the pub's, it's the same as it ever was.

I live not far from there more in the Kilshanny area for now ,so I pass Doolin frequently.

It's the same type of people, the I'll do what I want no matter what...
    Few drinks and all responsibility and liability goes out the window.

It's this type of behaviour that undermines all the work put into opening up the pub's again.

Wonders never cease...

Are you assuming that everyone that is travelling is doing so for a sun holiday?
    You realise we have 1000's living here but with family living in another European country. Should they wait until you think it's ok for them to see their families, when would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are you assuming that everyone that is travelling is doing so for a sun holiday?
    You realise we have 1000's living here but with family living in another European country. Should they wait until you think it's ok for them to see their families, when would that be?

In some of those cases, varying stages of dementia will also be a factor.
    It's tough watching a mother trying to remember her daughter over Skype.
    And not recognizing her grandchildren would normally spend the summer months with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Wasting your time asking that on here. Those posters don’t give a dam. They’d rather see people restricted and locked up indefinately, maybe it’s a fetish? Some people on here wouldn’t care if you never seen your family ever again . They don’t realise the virus is here for good. Whether they like it or not the anti travel merchants need to realise people will have to travel in the forseable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Ireland has the most draconian travel policy in the EU. It is a violation of our rights and I hope somebody challenges this policy in the courts

Which of your rights do you believe are being violated?

Which of your rights do you believe are being violated?

Your right to freedom of movement within the EU I'd imagine, my guess is this is the reason the govt won't commit to restricting travel properly.

bladespin wrote: »
    Your right to freedom of movement within the EU I'd imagine.

Where is this right in the constitution / law?

PS Freedom of Movement is a privilege not a right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

But I'll be staying in an apartment by myself enjoying the wonderful internet connection so I can tell everyone on Boards how safe it is in Spain.........honestly. :p

I am not saying what people should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

I take it form your posts you won't be travelling outside of Ireland this year?

Incorrect.

I spent a weekend in Bratislava and Vienna before there was a DFA travel advisory against all but essential travel.

I have also re-scheduled my family holiday to France from July 4th to August 1st. If a green list is published next week and France is on the list we'll go providing the travel advisory against all but essential travel is removed. If there isn't a green list or if the travel advisory remains in place we will cancel and not go.
    So is the purpose of the rest of your comments to castigate those that are willing to travel and to impose your own set of morals on them?

No.

It's a discussion forum. I'm sharing and explaining my opinion.

I'm not in a position to impose anything on anyone. Ask my kids!!

I'm also enjoying all the shouting by people who don't have counter arguments so get faux upset and attack the poster rather than the post. It really highlights the vacuous nature of their viewpoint.

Where is this right in the constitution / law?

PS Freedom of Movement is a privilege not a right.

The EU beg to disagree:

This right is enshrined in article 45 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights, maybe you should head to Brussels and tell them their information is wrong, oh wait....

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Wasting your time asking that on here. Those posters don’t give a dam. They’d rather see people restricted and locked up indefinately, maybe it’s a fetish? Some people on here wouldn’t care if you never seen your family ever again . They don’t realise the virus is here for good. Whether they like it or not the anti travel merchants need to realise people will have to travel in the forseable future.
    I know that but it's no harm to give them an opportunity to explain their reasoning or lack of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not the same thing. This is an important negotiation that affects all of us. And, as many of us know after recent months, negotiation and difficult conversations on zoom, especially with multiple participants, is difficult. You can’t read body language and interaction is not dynamic in the same way as a face to face. If other leaders are going to be there in person it is absolutely essential that MM is there. I can’t think of many things more essential TBH

Its no different than a company needing an employee to traveler a negotiate a significant deal with a customer.

I actually don’t have an issue with the travel for reasons I’ve outlined previously in the thread. I do have an issue with him skipping quarantine. That’s the Haughey-esqe nature of it. If anything he should be showing leadership here rather than making a mockery of the situation.

Either we quarantine or we don’t. But don’t go preaching to the people if it’s not good enough for you.

bladespin wrote: »
    The EU beg to disagree:

This right is enshrined in article 45 of the Charter of Fundamental Rights, maybe you should head to Brussels and tell them their information is wrong, oh wait....

Freedom of Movement doesn’t infer a right of travel.

No.

I spent a weekend in Bratislava and Vienna before there was a DFA travel advisory against all but essential travel.

I have also re-scheduled my family holiday to France from July 4th to August 1st. If a green list is published next week and France is on the list we'll go providing the travel advisory against all but essential travel is removed. If there isn't a green list or if the travel advisory remains in place we will cancel and not go.

No.

It's a discussion forum. I'm sharing and explaining my opinion.

I'm not in a position to impose anything on anyone. Ask my kids!!

I'm also enjoying all the shouting by people who don't have counter arguments so get faux upset and attack the poster rather than the post. It really highlights the vacuous nature of their viewpoint.

Thank you for confirming what I thought. Have a good one.

The right to move and reside freely, interpret as you like but I read that as right to travel within.

I’m curious pandemic aside, Do you have something against people travelling?

I think you’ve missed my point.

Of course Michael Martin should be in Brussels.

But so should other people be allowed visit COVID19 controlled countries in the EU for non essential purposes without be bullied and demonised.

As Glynn said yesterday there is no added risk of going to countries with similar epidemiological Profiles. Therefore why the heck can we not go there for non essential purposes.

It just makes absolutely no sense and is bang out of order

As had been said a dozen times, there is no legal requirement to quarantine on return.

So, this terrible draconian system you refer to does not exist. As it does not exist, I'm very curious to know what a court is supposed to do about your challenge against a non existent law.

It's medical advise. Do you consider all medical advise a draconian interference?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I just arrived in Spain. I'll be able to quarantine ok when I come home as I work remotely. But I think it's actually safer here than back in Dublin
    Everyone, but everyone, is wearing masks here, not just on public transportation but on the streets.

Dublin airport staff seen too have a bee in their bonnets about travelers though. I had a couple of unpleasant experiences departing. Either I sound American or they're sore are possibly losing some jobs there. Never experienced such crankiness and lack of cop on in decades traveling through Dublin airport.

• Advertisement

My mum lives in East Clare and I haven't had the chance to hug her in month's, my parents and I live close but we still respect the guidelines.

It's not up to me to give anyone the go ahead here,and I suggest you stop validating my opinions on a personal level.
    I'm not that important on the big scale.

Im a bit of a devils advocate to be honest.

One has to be in the present climate.

nthclare wrote: »
    My mum lives in East Clare and I haven't had the chance to hug her in month's, my parents and I live close but we still respect the guidelines.

It's not up to me to give anyone the go ahead here,and I suggest you stop validating my opinions on a personal level.
    I'm not that important on the big scale.

Im a bit of a devils advocate to be honest.

One has to be in the present climate.

You've taken a position that people shouldn't travel, that's not playing devils advocate. I suspect however you know that.
    As for my question I can see you are unable to answer hence the deflection.
    As I said to another poster here , thank you for confirming my thoughts. Yesterday I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Your mask slipped today however. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Heading to Switzerland tonight and back, so 12 hours in a metal tube that doesn’t have HEPA filters. Life must go on.

You've taken a position that people shouldn't travel, that's not playing devils advocate. I suspect however you know that.
    As for my question I can see you are unable to answer hence the deflection.
    As I said to another poster here , thank you for confirming my thoughts. Yesterday I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Your mask slipped today however. Have a good one.

No I haven't taken the position that people should not travel,and we have both deflected the discussion away from the subject matter.

I'll clarify now, I don't feel that people shouldn't travel indefinitely.

But is it worth the hassle in present time's ?

You yourself sound like an intelligent person and you probably would take a risk assessment if travelling and I respect your decision and passion for meeting family members or whatever your business is.

My discussion is about the people who don't take risk assessments and they're ruining it for everyone.

I see Coveney commenting on the green list. Mentions UK and USA won’t be on it, no sh1t Sherlock!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see Coveney commenting on the green list. Mentions UK and USA won’t be on it, no sh1t Sherlock!
    The US isn't a surprise but the UK a little more, given out shared border. Unless there's a NI-exemption it'll be very difficult to do - and if there's a NI exemption people can just skip it.

There's little demand because Irish people are not stupid enough to go to the UK now.

Bookings to other countries in Europe are going very well

Are they?

You can fly with Ryanair on Tuesday to Mallorca for €44. That flight would normally be over €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Aegir wrote: »
    Are they?

You can fly with Ryanair on Tuesday to Mallorca for €44. That flight would normally be over €200.

I was on a Dublin to Mallorca flight a couple of weeks ago and there were less than 20 passengers on board. Incoming flight from Dublin that landed in Palma before our return this week had over 100. Strong demand from Northern Irish for that route it seems as no direct Belfast-Palma route I believe and no quarantine requirements for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It seems to me that they are holding off on travel til the kids go back to school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

Apologies if this had been answered before but does anyone have info/a link to the current r rate for Spain?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement