Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Heading to Malta on the 31st, presume it will on the green list due to minimal cases. But somewhat worried about the social stigma

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

KevinK wrote: »
    Heading to Malta on the 31st, presume it will on the green list due to minimal cases. But somewhat worried about the social stigma

I wouldn’t worry about the social stigma. Most people who are judging those that travel are all planning on going themselves in 2021 when they expect things to get back to “normal”!!!
    People who are careful and adhere to the guidelines will do so whether they’re holidaying in Donegal or Malta, no more than the idiots who won’t change their behaviours either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

KevinK wrote: »

If that's the case you won't be travelling abroad for a long long time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

I don't get why ppl are holding off til 2021, it will be no different, and flights will be way more expensive.

I'd also be curious re Spain R0. Depends on what criteria is used...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

LilyShame wrote: »
    I don't get why ppl are holding off til 2021, it will be no different, and flights will be way more expensive.

I can't understand this either. Some people seem to think if we hold off on foreign travel for a few more months everything is going to go back to normal. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm very curious about this talk of cases being imported into the country. Being out of the country I've mainly switched off from all the hysterics in Ireland but what I would very much like to know is has there been confirmation of any normal holidaymaker bringing back Covid from a holiday somewhere in the EU? Because that is precisely the kind of information people need. Not vague references to imported cases.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying my trip to the quietest I've ever seen Spain in July. Way busier back home in Kerry. I know where I feel safer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

acequion wrote: »
    I'm very curious about this talk of cases being imported into the country. Being out of the country I've mainly switched off from all the hysterics in Ireland but what I would very much like to know is has there been confirmation of any normal holidaymaker bringing back Covid from a holiday somewhere in the EU? Because that is precisely the kind of information people need. Not vague references to imported cases.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying my trip to the quietest I've ever seen Spain in July. Way busier back home in Kerry. I know where I feel safer!

Simon Coveney’s own words ( my opinion too the last while)

“ travelling to one of these countries wouldn't be any different than travelling to Kerry, Connemara or Donegal," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

If that's the case you won't be travelling abroad for a long long time!!

Fair enough! Will probably go anyway but difficult with work etc. if it’s not in the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

acequion wrote: »

What's also curious is that half a month after flights at Dublin ramped up to about 100 inbound and 100 outbound per day, we are yet to hear of anyone getting infected on a plane (on roughly 3000 flights so far this month). Surely we would have heard about it straight away if it happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wallander wrote: »
    What's also curious is that half a month after flights at Dublin ramped up to about 100 inbound and 100 outbound per day, we are yet to hear of anyone getting infected on a plane (on roughly 3000 flights so far this month). Surely we would have heard about it straight away if it happened!

Much like the Supermarkets, surely there should have been mass outbreaks and staff dropping like flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Much like the Supermarkets, surely there should have been mass outbreaks and staff dropping like flies.

Doesn't fit with the hysteria agenda being peddled- best keep quiet about it.

Doesn't fit with the hysteria agenda being peddled- best keep quiet about it.

Do you find it curious that the figures are rising to justify keeping the pubs closed till August 10th. Gets the Bank holiday nicely out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Maybe a vaccine or eradication will be next year hence holding off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I hope they’re right, it’d be an end to this in some small way, that said I think it’s insanely optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

was anyone recently in Amsterdam? how is situation looking in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

A vaccine or total eradication before summer 2021?! I admire your optimism. Even if a vaccine became available in the next month, how long before there would be a meaningful take up after rigorous testing, follow up, examination of side effects? The anti vaccination crowd are already claiming they’ll never ever get it and influencing other sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    A vaccine or total eradication before summer 2021?! I admire your optimism. Even if a vaccine became available in the next month, how long before there would be a meaningful take up after rigorous testing, follow up, examination of side effects? The anti vaccination crowd are already claiming they’ll never ever get it and influencing other sheep.

Make foreign travel, attendance at schools, attendance at creche and receipt of child welfare dependent on an up to date vaccination passport.

Then let them choose.

That'll separate the commited anti - vaxxer.

In 1959 the WHO made the conscious and clear decision to finally end smallpox.

And hey presto a mere 21 years later they achieved it.

Bot1 wrote: »
    Make foreign travel, attendance at schools, attendance at creche and receipt of child welfare dependent on an up to date vaccination passport.

Then let them choose.

No effing hope of that, the vast majority will hold off until there’s a basis of understanding of the vaccine effectiveness, side effects etc, not the anti vaxxers, just the careful - no point ending one epidemic by starting another.

It would also confirm every tin hat wearing loon’s conspiracy theory in one move.

Bot1 wrote: »

Then let them choose.

That is absolutely ridiculous. Forcing people to take a vaccine?? You're entering totalitarian state stuff there.

• Advertisement

Eradication ain't going to happen as that would require locking down the country hoping the lads in NI go along with it. A safe vaccine is at best several years away .

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Bot1

That is absolutely ridiculous. Forcing people to take a vaccine?? You're entering totalitarian state stuff there.

Not forcing anyone.

They would totally have the choice to abstain.

There would just be consequences of those choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

So with the uprise in cases... Based on community transmission, not international travel .. Would government not be better off letting those of us who bought holidays to the islands long before covid, just go how..

And spread the risk...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So with the uprise in cases... Based on community transmission, not international travel .. Would government not be better off letting those of us who bought holidays to the islands long before covid, just go how..

And spread the risk...
    Huh? What islands? The numbers in Ireland are still small....pretty tiny outside of main cities.
    I would say there is a lot more community transmission in a lot of other countries no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Some of the idiotic questions to Simon Coveney there.

So there is 34 cases today , should we scrap the green list?

Like seriously, how does that even have any relevance or purpose.

They are hopefully gonna issue a Green list for countries with similar or less covid than in this country. I really dont understand how people can not accept this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

International travel just seems to be a convenient scapegoat for rising cases.

I can't understand how many people are surprised at the rising cases. Cases were always going to rise as we reopened, even the medical experts said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

VG31 wrote: »
    International travel just seems to be a convenient scapegoat for rising cases.

I can't understand how many people are surprised at the rising cases. Cases were always going to rise as we reopened, even the medical experts said that.

People are probably just angry they cancelled their own holidays and lost money and want everybody to suffer together.

It is an easy scapegoat to blame a minority of travellers or people needing to head to green countries to visit family or take a break.

Wallander wrote: »

Well no, I don't think it can be traced that accurately. It's a 2 hour window in a weeks travel and interaction.

Here's something for all the no travellers. If someone traveling abroad and back is such a concern, what about all the staff that are not only traveling and interacting with hundreds of customers daily on these fights, but are specifically exempted from isolating in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Of course cases are going to rise. That was always inevitable once people got back to what people do, live, as opposed to exist in isolation. And risk will be everywhere but we just have to do our best.

But having droves of people converge on Irish holiday spots rather than facilitating safe travel as other countries have done?? Doesn't seem intelligent to me and again I repeat how much safer I feel in a quiet part of Spain rather than in Kerry right now. But I'd still love to know if any of the recent numbers came from people holidaying abroad. That information should be made public if they're advising non essential travel. But maybe as I suspect,no holidaymaker has recently come back from abroad infected.

• Advertisement

I’m sure we would all have heard about a foreign holiday infection (if there was one), politically it would be a good move, they were fast to Mark the Iraqi case as travel related just when people were considering holidays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement