Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    A vaccine or total eradication before summer 2021?! I admire your optimism. Even if a vaccine became available in the next month, how long before there would be a meaningful take up after rigorous testing, follow up, examination of side effects? The anti vaccination crowd are already claiming they’ll never ever get it and influencing other sheep.

I can understand why some are afraid to travel abroad this year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I can understand why some are afraid to travel abroad this year

It’s understandable, and nothing wrong with doing what you consider best to keep yourself safe, problem is many of them are projecting their fears (real or not) onto everyone around them. I seen it personally travelling during lockdown, the looks I got from some when I told them I’d been all over the country were brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

I can simply travel to any country I choose, transfer to a "green listed" country and return back to Ireland without the need to "self isolate".:o

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

People are probably just angry they cancelled their own holidays and lost money and want everybody to suffer together.

It is an easy scapegoat to blame a minority of travellers or people needing to head to green countries to visit family or take a break.

Spot on with your first point. I’ve found that those who are most vehemently anti foreign travel are those who had their flights (and indeed ferries) cancelled to travel from July onwards. It was taken out of their hands and they were forced to cancel where they could, or postpone accommodation until “next year” when it’s all miraculously going to be safe to travel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

kris_2021 wrote: »
    was anyone recently in Amsterdam? how is situation looking in there?

Had an English friend who went over for a week and got back on Tuesday. Said it felt very normal over there, the only thing that indicated a pandemic was more hand sanitiser around the place. Didn't ask him if everyone work masks but kind of assume so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

This risks associated with this virus aren't just going to disappear anytime soon, so we are going to have to learn to live with it. And that includes learning how to travel with it.

So yes, I plan to head to an exotic island off the coast of Spain to sip a few cocktails while sunning myself from a covid secure sunbed, and afterwards I will have a nice socially distant swim.

Screw the doomsters and the naysayers, we need to start living life again.

In 1959 the WHO made the conscious and clear decision to finally end smallpox.

And hey presto a mere 21 years later they achieved it.

And that’s when people actually listened to doctors and before the “experts” did their “research” on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Green list set to be 20 or less than.
    More than I would have imagined.
    Be interesting to see the list

ZX7R wrote: »

Wow that’s sounds a lot more than I was anticipating!

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    Wow that’s sounds a lot more than I was anticipating!

Could be eight could be nineteen.
    Personally I will guess seventeen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Any guesses on the 17?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

LilyShame wrote: »
    Any guesses on the 17?

Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania. Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, Vatican, Cyprus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

At the moment there are plenty of free seats on planes and the airports are beautifully quiet.

When the green list is announced, all flights to those destinations will be rammed, meaning no "social distancing".

If you want an enjoyable holiday, ignore the list because the stampede of the herd will be unbearable.

Just fly back via the green list and the Stasi will be kept at bay.

Harika wrote: »
    Andorra, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania. Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Switzerland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, Vatican, Cyprus

It's like you read my mind

It's like you read my mind

It's the list the Schengen countries use, just removed Ireland ;) ah missed to add Austria

It's the list the Schengen countries use, just removed Ireland ;) ah missed to add Austria

Im highly doubtful for France or Spain.

Is that the updated list released for the Schengen area I believe there was some countries removed this week

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Very good... Spain is questionable right... Due to clusters in catalonia... But Im guessing they won't do many of us a good turn and treat canary islands separately!!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

It would be like this:

Somalia
    Central African Republic
    Burundi
    Liberia
    Niger
    Malawi
    Mozambique
    Eritrea
    South Sudan
    Madagascar
    etc....

gral6 wrote: »
    It would be like this:

Somalia
    Central African Republic
    Burundi
    Liberia
    Niger
    Malawi
    Mozambique
    Eritrea
    South Sudan
    Madagascar
    etc....

That's so funny

Im highly doubtful for France or Spain.

Is that the updated list released for the Schengen area I believe there was some countries removed this week

They removed serbia and Montenegro this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

VG31 wrote: »
    International travel just seems to be a convenient scapegoat for rising cases.

I can't understand how many people are surprised at the rising cases. Cases were always going to rise as we reopened, even the medical experts said that.

We have been told some of the recent cases have been from travel whether returnees or tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Surely Spain and Portugal being off the list is the biggest story here not America.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

That's so funny

Sad but true

Surely Spain and Portugal being off the list is the biggest story here not America.

No official list yet but wouldn’t surprise me. Travelling to Spain on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sadly, wouldn’t be too surprised if Portugal doesn’t make it, the Algarve is fine but there have been clusters in the large cities.

Still, if Spain does make the list it’s not beyond imagination to rent a car etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Looks like France,Spain and Portugal won’t be on the greenlist.

From the RTE news app

“The implication is that the risk of contracting the virus while on holidays in any of those countries is very much higher than in Ireland. So Sweden, Portugal, Spain, the UK, or France will not be included on Ireland's 'Green List' next week.”

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If France loses out it will be because they include French Guyana in their overall numbers, even though it's in South America. Mainland France has one of the lowest rates in Europe. Even then that's skewed by a single meat factory outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

spockety wrote: »
    If France loses out it will be because they include French Guyana in their overall numbers, even though it's in South America. Mainland France has one of the lowest rates in Europe. Even then that's skewed by a single meat factory outbreak.

Quelle surprise. It wouldn't be the first time NPHET and the Government have acted on crap data during all of this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

GazzaL wrote: »
    Quelle surprise. It wouldn't be the first time NPHET and the Government have acted on crap data during all of this.

Hard to blame them here. The numbers that France rolls up to the ECDC includes it for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭zvone

lately Croatia have more than 100 cases daily, with population less than 4 mil. You can remove CRO from list..
    For me, list can have just one country - Spain, and I am happy! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement