Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Looks like France,Spain and Portugal won’t be on the greenlist.

From the RTE news app

“The implication is that the risk of contracting the virus while on holidays in any of those countries is very much higher than in Ireland. So Sweden, Portugal, Spain, the UK, or France will not be included on Ireland's 'Green List' next week.”
    That's just an opinion piece by George Doom & Gloom Lee so wouldn't take that as certain.

My understanding is that Spain's figures include antibody testing so the active cases are much lower but as above it wouldn't be the first time the gov have used dodgy figures during this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

spockety wrote: »
    If France loses out it will be because they include French Guyana in their overall numbers, even though it's in South America. Mainland France has one of the lowest rates in Europe. Even then that's skewed by a single meat factory outbreak.

Not a tin hat fan but the small conspiracy theorist in me would hold out until MM returns from his Brussels Covid relief trip, those who hold the strings may want to have their say too, market restrictions etc might be a thing.

Just thinking out loud btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Anyone in or been over to Switzerland recently? Trying to find out how they're doing. A friend near Bern has invited me over. I think I'll be too nervous to go but am weighing it up...it all looks very normal over there going by their Instagram posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Polar101

LilyShame wrote: »
    I don't get why ppl are holding off til 2021, it will be no different, and flights will be way more expensive.

Well, it may or may not be different. Maybe some people don't consider flying abroad essential, and would rather skip a year during a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Turns out the NPHET did recommend mandatory quarantine for 14 days back in May

https://assets.gov.ie/74472/703f767798cc4172a8b115df05ae5651.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks like France,Spain and Portugal won’t be on the greenlist.

From the RTE news app

“The implication is that the risk of contracting the virus while on holidays in any of those countries is very much higher than in Ireland. So Sweden, Portugal, Spain, the UK, or France will not be included on Ireland's 'Green List' next week.”

But tourists from these countries can still come here just like from US

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spain does have an issue in Catalonia. They’ve gone back to phase 2 in the Spanish lockdown so it’s not going to be a draw for tourists. It’s emerging that the Catalonia regional government dropped the ball on containment in spite for central government in Madrid.

As already pointed out the daily numbers for Spain are currently skewed with backlog cases.

Other than clusters here and there elsewhere that are under control, there’s no reason to not include Spain.

But of course they won’t include Spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    But tourists from these countries can still come here just like from US

Don't worry about it, it's the young ones and lads having house parties causing the problems here.

faceman wrote: »
    Spain does have an issue in Catalonia. They’ve gone back to phase 2 in the Spanish lockdown so it’s not going to be a draw for tourists. It’s emerging that the Catalonia regional government dropped the ball on containment in spite for central government in Madrid.

As already pointed out the daily numbers for Spain are currently skewed with backlog cases.

Other than clusters here and there elsewhere that are under control, there’s no reason to not include Spain.

But of course they won’t include Spain

Spain is a huge distination for the Irish so as you say they won't include Spain.
    Its all about keeping people in Ireland for the summer even the new ads about the paused phase reference non essential travel and schools.
    The cynical part of me believes the numbers 'rising' was to shut the pubs till after the August bank holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At this stage the messages are so mixed, happy to to have a holistay this year.

Then they can all go slug it out amongst themselves. Not worth the hassle at all. So it worked for us, but we had made the decision way back anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Spain will have more lockdowns if the brits continue the way they are behaving such as Magaluf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Will they go lower or around the same for Ireland? Around the same will bring in Greece and Italy. Good for outbound but not necessarily inbound. A little above and they bring in Germany and NL which will help inbound. Going for something like below 10 with allowances for regional variations (for France this would be exclusion of the Caribbean islands) would at least put a metric on travel without causing a political issue with fellow MS every few weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

votecounts wrote: »
    Spain will have more lockdowns if the brits continue the way they are behaving such as Magaluf

Spain has been open since June 21st to Brits and other EU travellers. None of the current outbreaks relate to travel and tourism.

Reading the IT this morning. Wow some of the blatant mistruths about Spain claiming popular beach areas have higher infection rates than Ireland is just incorrect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I see on skynews that the UK government will give credit notes for trips abroad if end up being cancelled. If the government here just told people look we don't want you to travel and here is a credit note for amount you booked your holiday for so don't travel I say loads of people won't then. People are going to go abroad as they don't want to lose their money, not everyone of course but a lot. Be cheaper in the long run for government if there worried people going on holiday will get covid and might spread it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Acosta

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/staycation-subsidy-cash-back-for-holidays-at-home-39377788.html

Not so much kicking the aviation industry when it's down. More like shooting it in the leg when it's already been shot in the other leg.

Acosta wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/staycation-subsidy-cash-back-for-holidays-at-home-39377788.html

Not so much kicking the aviation industry when it's down. More like shooting it in the leg when it's already been shot in the other leg.

So the hospitality industry gets told punter's will be able to recoup some of the cost of a staycation, prices rise further. Great idea by government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

So what happens then if their reviewing like every two weeks and you do go to a place thats on the list when you go but your gone for two weeks and then while your there they change and is off the list does that mean you have to 14 day quarentine thing when you come back or you dont but if someone went on the day trip the same day that you got back while your OK the other person would have to quarentine even though you both came into Ireland on the same day from the same country ?

So what happens then if their reviewing like every two weeks and you do go to a place thats on the list when you go but your gone for two weeks and then while your there they change and is off the list does that mean you have to 14 day quarentine thing when you come back or you dont but if someone went on the day trip the same day that you got back while your OK the other person would have to quarentine even though you both came into Ireland on the same day from the same country ?

Quarantine was done away with at the start of July. You’re required to “restrict your movements” now. Think it means you freeze like a statue until told otherwise :D

Joking aside, in the scenario you’ve outlined yes you’d have to restrict your movements

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So the hospitality industry gets told punter's will be able to recoup some of the cost of a staycation, prices rise further. Great idea by government.
    If it's accompanied by a temporary VAT reversal to help avoid this kind of possible scalping then it may not be such a bad thing. By the looks of the report, it's still being thrashed out, it's not yet a policy or scheme. It's a potentially better approach than the persistent threats and warnings to travellers and potential travellers.

• Advertisement

Quarantine was done away with at the start of July. You’re required to “restrict your movements” now. Think it means you freeze like a statue until told otherwise :D

Joking aside, in the scenario you’ve outlined yes you’d have to restrict your movements

But whose going to do that like. I understand them saying theres OK countries and ones you shouldnt go and agree with that bit. But I think if we go and its green then were going because we dont have to stop work for two weeks when we come back. Were accepting that we cant go because we cant afford not to work for two weeks after that if its not a green one. But I think if we do go,and it changes while were away, then were not going to restrict ourselves when we come back. Hard to know. But dont think wed be able to and think probably if you get out while its green then its fair enough that they have to let you back as people that went
    when its green so fair enough no restrictions for you. I see the argument both ways, but I think I know which way well be going and wont really worry about whether the status changes or not. But just thinking about whether they make it legal or what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

But whose going to do that like. I understand them saying theres OK countries and ones you shouldnt go and agree with that bit. But I think if we go and its green then were going because we dont have to stop work for two weeks when we come back. Were accepting that we cant go because we cant afford not to work for two weeks after that if its not a green one. But I think if we do go,and it changes while were away, then were not going to restrict ourselves when we come back. Hard to know. But dont think wed be able to and think probably if you get out while its green then its fair enough that they have to let you back as people that went
    when its green so fair enough no restrictions for you. I see the argument both ways, but I think I know which way well be going and wont really worry about whether the status changes or not. But just thinking about whether they make it legal or what not.

You can keep an eye on the list of countries and choose wisely.

For example if they go for the below 10 per 100k 14 day average, you can make sure the country isn't ticking up closer to 10 around the time you travel.

For example if they go for the below 10 per 100k 14 day average, you can make sure the country isn't ticking up closer to 10 around the time you travel.

Yes thats a good call cheers.

I have a feeling the government will use 4 as the threshold. Tristan de Cuna might be as beach holiday as it gets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I have a feeling the government will use 4 as the threshold. Tristan de Cuna might be as beach holiday as it gets

That will not go down well in Germany. They say it will be purely medical but that may well backfire politically.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Looking more definate France, Spain and Portugal won’t be on the green list. It’s the major headline on the RTE news app. There goes the September France trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

But will we not be up to 5 by next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Mr.S wrote: »
    A lot can happen between now and then. I fit was July / August i'd write it off, but September could be fine.

I hope so! Put a lot of thought and preparation in the ferry trip to keep us safe. Need at least something to look forward to because this evil disgusting disease will be here for years...ugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I hope so! Put a lot of thought and preparation in the ferry trip to keep us safe. Need at least something to look forward to because this evil disgusting disease will be here for years...ugh

Although most of the bellend sheeple seem to think that it’ll be ok to travel next year but you should be tarred and feathered for travelling this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Mr.S wrote: »
    A lot can happen between now and then. I fit was July / August i'd write it off, but September could be fine.

Technically it may be but wouldn’t be holding out much hope

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement