Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Technically it may be but wouldn’t be holding out much hope

Either way i’ll be going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I don't get why you can't have something to look forward to that doesn't leave you at risk of multiple organ failure, but then I gave up hard drugs years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

s1ippy wrote: »
    I don't get why you can't have something to look forward to that doesn't leave you at risk of multiple organ failure, but then I gave up hard drugs years ago.

Is multiple organ failure guaranteed if one travels? How does it happen?

I wouldn’t bother with the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Doesn’t sound like it, even Covid doesn’t cause organ failure any more than drug use.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Doesn’t sound like it, even Covid doesn’t cause organ failure any more than drug use.

My organs might not look too good if i had a head on collision in France. I better cancel it for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I was initially going to go to France or Italy for a few days of cycling, then decided on the UK as an closer alternative. Now it seems that that's off the table too, so I'll just have to wait and see what countries are on the list.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

The virus is here for good. So you need to learn to live with it and do your best to plan and protect yourself from it even while travelling. It can be done, masks, gloves, sanitizer, keeping your distance from people you don’t know, no different than galavanting around Ireland.

The only other option is to lock yourself in your dungeon for the rest of your life, if that’s what you want to do be my guest.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I was initially going to go to France or Italy for a few days of cycling, then decided on the UK as an closer alternative. Now it seems that that's off the table too, so I'll just have to wait and see what countries are on the list.

Scotland? There’s a ferry from Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Scotland? There’s a ferry from Belfast.

Not a bad idea, the temps in parts of Italy and Southern France are up to 30c.. which probably means closer to 40c... Scotland temps would be much more liveable...

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Not a bad idea, the temps in parts of Italy and Southern France are up to 30c.. which probably means closer to 40c... Scotland temps would be much more liveable...

Scotland is nice and have done the ferry over a few times and as far as i know infections rates are low there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Got back from Portugal earlier on in the week. Great holiday! Lots of social distancing, weather was gorgeous. The streets weren’t packed like they usually are so it was more enjoyable for me than it was before. Nice to get away and feel a bit more normal for a change.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Scotland is nice and have done the ferry over a few times and as far as i know infections rates are low there?

Same or better than here, and the coutryside is very sparsely populated, great for cycling/outdoors..

Scottish numbers: 17 July 2020

17 new confirmed cases of COVID-19

0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I really want some Irish journo to ask Micheal Martin about the Green list in Brussels.

Something ' Will Germany be on your green list ? '

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Maybe there expecting the plane to crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Stay away for as long as possible. If you get sick in Ireland in winter, the Health Service will have trolleys out the hospital doors. All last years problems are still bubbling under. If Covid is still here, better chance in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

For people interested in France, I found this site by their government that allows you to drill down into a department and see its cases per 100,000 and R number. Click the Indicateurs link in the top menu.

https://www.gouvernement.fr/info-coronavirus/carte-et-donnees?bclid=IwAR2DsMjI8qWIbERldDTas6J9P8ua0M6QdWaOQU8i1ruEOTD1wf1kkL6n-xU

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

ECDC does not consider travel restrictions as an efficient way to reduce transmission since Community transmission is the major factor. A robust testing and contract tracing system is required together with recommended hand washing, masks, distancing. Coveney and Martin are just using the travel shaming and school opening fear so that the population have to compensate for lack of proper measures and poor airport checks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

For those who were asking about the issue of employers making employees take unpaid leave for their quarantine. Richard Grogan has some insight on it and unfortunately it’s not good for employees

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/richard-grogan-35490137_employmentlawsolicitorsdublin-quarantine-activity-6689433410672369664-fBRx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

faceman wrote: »
    For those who were asking about the issue of employers making employees take unpaid leave for their quarantine. Richard Grogan has some insight on it and unfortunately it’s not good for employees

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/richard-grogan-35490137_employmentlawsolicitorsdublin-quarantine-activity-6689433410672369664-fBRx

Go Abroad On Holidays - Can an employer say then you must quarantine on return and you will not be paid for those 14 days. Answer Yes. Problem How does the employer know? Asking for that information will be problematic to enforce. No legal right to know. The Return to Work Protocol might help. However if the employer believes the employee went to Florida but the employee says it was Kerry they went to then an employer has a problem. The Government says for Public Servants the rule will apply even if they are remote working . The idea of requiring quarantine is good however without a legal obligation to do so it is not enforceable. There will be interesting cases going to the WRC and Labour Court I suspect . The onus of proof will be on employer to prove the employee was abroad not on the employee to prove they were not. Another shambolic non enforceable announcement unless employment legislation is changed.

• Advertisement

The onus of proof will be on employer to prove the employee was abroad not on the employee to prove they were not. Another shambolic non enforceable announcement unless employment legislation is changed.

I suspect that the employers have the upper hand on this....

Anyone asking for say 2 weeks leave... Well.. first question a boss may ask is "Oh, where you off to..." Depending on your relationship with the employer then lying to their face by saying "Staycation" or "Oh no where.." Or You: "I'm off to Killarney" Boss: "Oh really ,me too, see you there...".....could be extremely awkward...
    Not to mention if you have any of your co-workers on your social media accounts...
    Hiding what used to be a very happy normal occasion from everyone at your workplace would push a lot of people into either really staying in Ireland or not going on hols... another headache for employers when at the end of the year staff have almost their full entitlement left...

The whole situation is a mess, and we only have one group of un/elected officials to blame...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The whole situation is a mess, and we only have one group of un/elected officials to blame...

Who do you mean by that there, the party officials in Wuhan ?

faceman wrote: »

ISME were pretty clear on their advice, pay if you require it, safest bet.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1153544/

It’s an utter mess though, and will lead to I’ll feeling no matter how it goes, a real shame considering how workers and employers have cooperated during the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

It says in the article that if employees can work from home they can be accommodated if possible if I have read it correctly. HSE have said you cannot work from home for the 14 day quarantine. Its extra leave or unpaid leave only.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I really want some Irish journo to ask Micheal Martin about the Green list in Brussels.

Something ' Will Germany be on your green list ? '

Will MM be quarantining on his return from Brussels?

I see Conor McGregor is holidaying in France with his family, no masks, did he not ask for airport closures, flight bans over the virus

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I see Conor McGregor is holidaying in France with his family, no masks, did he not ask for airport closures, flight bans over the virus

No, MM has stated he won’t but will undergo 2 tests, he doesn’t have to as an essential worker and on diplomatic work (not 100% on that), wouldn’t be the first to waive the rules either.

McGregor’s a gobsh1te but he did call for it and they didn’t listen, hypocritical maybe but such is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

No, it's been quite clear from the start, for essential travel, one has to restrict their movements. I may not like MM, but his trip would be classed as essential.
    Non essential travelers would have to self isolate for 2 weeks, although I believe they may have changed that to also restrict your movements.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    No, it's been quite clear from the start, for essential travel, one has to restrict their movements. I may not like MM, but his trip would be classed as essential.
    Non essential travelers would have to self isolate for 2 weeks, although I believe they may have changed that to also restrict your movements.

It’s now “restrict your movements” for all travel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

A view from an Aer Lingus flight from the US

https://twitter.com/michaellondra/status/1284594786062733315?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

So can employer approve wfh on arrival back from green list? If wfh is what you've done since March 12th..

It's pretty shameful isn't it!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement