Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Congratulations to Italy and Greece for 'overtaking' Ireland with lower infection rates this weekend - a month after both opened their borders to tourists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Wallander wrote: »
    Congratulations to Italy and Greece for 'overtaking' Ireland with lower infection rates this weekend - a month after both opened their borders to tourists

Not all quite so hunkey dorey as that might be though.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/as-some-throw-caution-to-the-wind-italians-fear-a-second-virus-wave-39379014.html

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Are Irish Nationals allowed entry to the US at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It’s now “restrict your movements” for all travel.

Whats that though different from quarantine? Does that mean we can just go and as long as we restrict our movements when we come back like just go to work and do the shopping or whatever but say not going to a restraunt or the pub then weve restricted our movements so were grand ? Or say we stay in our own town for the couple of weeks which we can do handy enough but otherwise get out and about as normal thats considered restricting ourselves because were no going to other places around the country ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Whats that though different from quarantine? Does that mean we can just go and as long as we restrict our movements when we come back like just go to work and do the shopping or whatever but say not going to a restraunt or the pub then weve restricted our movements so were grand ? Or say we stay in our own town for the couple of weeks which we can do handy enough but otherwise get out and about as normal thats considered restricting ourselves because were no going to other places around the country ?

More proof if it were needed that the whole thing is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

petes wrote: »
    No

Thanks. Where would i find info on it? I’m trying to talk some clown out of booking it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Thinking about booking myself and herself in for October. Prices on the floor at the moment. Might be worth the risk. All the hysteria might have settled down by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thinking about booking myself and herself in for October. Prices on the floor at the moment. Might be worth the risk. All the hysteria might have settled down by then.

140,000+ dead and counting. Hysteria indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,792 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You can't beat a good episode of hysteria :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD: Thread moved to Covid-19. Read the Charter before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,024 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah the virus is just gonna magically disappear in the most wildly out of control infected country in the world if we just give it 2 months.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Interesting discussion OP. In March/April, it was inconceivable that anyone would be let into Spain or Italy by July. And look how it panned out.
    However it's the approach of the US to the virus which would concern me compared to most EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Yes, the deadly virus that wiped out 0.04% of the US population. 3/4 of whom were over 65 years old and should probably have been cocooning for their own safety.
    Take them out of the equation and you're at levels on par with road fatalities.

antix80 wrote: »
    Yes, the deadly virus that wiped out 0.04% of the US population. 3/4 of whom were over 65 years old and should probably have been cocooning for their own safety.
    Take them out of the equation and you're at levels on par with road fatalities.

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yeah now seems like a good time for a holiday over there alright :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Any updates from anyone who has recently returned? Any follow ups? Phone calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

TheDriver wrote: »
    Interesting discussion OP. In March/April, it was inconceivable that anyone would be let into Spain or Italy by July. And look how it panned out.
    However it's the approach of the US to the virus which would concern me compared to most EU countries.

Spain are doing that to protect their economy, nothing else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Prices on the floor for a reason. With all the fear and anxiety about plus civic upset in US, I can't see how visiting the US would be an enjoyable experience.

In October they will be coming up to their election too, with the way their society is divided I can't see it as being a pleasant place to holiday.

How about Isreal, prices prob. low there too at moment I'd guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Wallander wrote: »

Presumably they will now require all Irish travellers to "restrict their movements" for 15 days now as we are higher risk?. What's good for the goose ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Prices on the floor for a reason. With all the fear and anxiety about plus civic upset in US, I can't see how visiting the US would be an enjoyable experience.

In October they will be coming up to their election too, with the way their society is divided I can't see it as being a pleasant place to holiday.

How about Isreal, prices prob. low there too at moment I'd guess?

Most people get on with their lives. Blm and far left trouble makers are just a vocal minority and easily avoided.

I've been to israel and it's a great place for tourists. They're on lockdown as far as i know so no tourism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Thanks. Where would i find info on it? I’m trying to talk some clown out of booking it!

Let them off and let them lose money, and then laugh at their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

From what i read was you can go out for exercise, shopping etc but make sure you keep your distance from people .

antix80 wrote: »
    Most people get on with their lives. Blm and far left trouble makers are just a vocal minority and easily avoided.

I've been to israel and it's a great place for tourists. They're on lockdown as far as i know so no tourism.

I'd be more worried about the random f**ks knifing people because they don't want to wear a mask in a shop that asked them to do so before they entered.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,417 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

With shops in particular, there was no social distancing or masks in the shops all the way back in March and it did not result in increased transmission as a result. This has been shown via our data.

We haven't a clue, the level of community transmission was over 60% back then and testing was very low. Where did all that community transmission occur according to "our data".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

cashback wrote: »
    Had an English friend who went over for a week and got back on Tuesday. Said it felt very normal over there, the only thing that indicated a pandemic was more hand sanitiser around the place. Didn't ask him if everyone work masks but kind of assume so.

I don't think they are wearing masks much in Amsterdam. Friend over there says people are just acting as normal. They're doing quite well regarding cases, aren't they?
    s1ippy wrote: »
    I don't get why you can't have something to look forward to that doesn't leave you at risk of multiple organ failure, but then I gave up hard drugs years ago.

I don't understand the mentality of people like you. There's a global pandemic. Everything now carries a level of risk. You could commit to staying at home for the next three years and get Covid while doing the food shop.

What, in your eyes, is safe to look forward to? I'd love to find this thing to look forward to that doesn't involve foreign holidays, pubs, restaurants, hotels, concerts, sports events or pretty much anything outside the four walls of your home.
    TheDriver wrote: »
    Gael23 wrote: »
    Spain are doing that to protect their economy, nothing else

And you can hardly blame them. There won't be money to fund the health service if their tourism industry collapses. They were only just recovering from the 2008 crisis which left a huge proportion of under 40s unemployed or underemployed, and now this.

It IS a fast changing situation. Look at how much things have changed in 6 months. In January people were heading over to Spain without a care in the world, oblivious to any pandemic. Then by mid March, it was absolute mayhem, and you couldn't imagine even thinking about going there in 2020, at all. The idea of flights even being on again was totally alien. 4 months on and they're open for tourists again.

I probably wouldn't go over at the minute due to the rise in cases in Catalonia and some other regions, but as far as I know, there's no longer an acute crisis with hospitals struggling to cope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

acequion wrote: »
    Any updates from anyone who has recently returned? Any follow ups? Phone calls?

Yeah back in Dublin on Tuesday. Weird experience arriving at airport, absolutely zero information on self isolation/restricted movements. Posters everywhere and constant tannoy announcements on filling in the form, you come out almost thinking the form in itself is a cure for Covid. Form itself is surprisingly short - name, address and where you came from, that's about it. Spanish passenger locator form was at least twice as long asking sensible questions like where else have you been in the past fortnight, symptom checklist and everyone is screened with visual check from nurse and temperature check on arrival in Spain (but not in Dublin).

Actually found out reading the news on Wednesday the recommendation had changed from self isolation to restricted movements last week. Much more manageable and common sense in my opinion, you can go out for walks etc. if you keep a distance. I work from home so no issues there. No phone call or any other contact from authorities yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement