Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I realise this is nothing more than ‘a guy on the internet said’ comment but fwiw I got talking to an Irish family currently on holiday near my gaff here in Spain. The husband has a state job, not going to reveal where but very much a non medical state job that involves the public. The wife worked private sector

They admitted they told their respective managers that they are currently on holiday in Ireland.

As from my previous posts I’d have zero concern with them catching Covid around here as there is none. However I wonder how many others are doing the same.

The problem with it isn’t the moral aspect. The issue is that when China went in to lockdown, cases still spread and it was down to people circumnavigating the rules. It made it harder to contact trace etc because people feared getting in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

faceman wrote: »
    I realise this is nothing more than ‘a guy on the internet said’ comment but fwiw I got talking to an Irish family currently on holiday near my gaff here in Spain. The husband has a state job, not going to reveal where but very much a non medical state job that involves the public. The wife worked private sector

They admitted they told their respective managers that they are currently on holiday in Ireland.

As from my previous posts I’d have zero concern with them catching Covid around here as there is none. However I wonder how many others are doing the same.

The problem with it isn’t the moral aspect. The issue is that when China went in to lockdown, cases still spread and it was down to people circumnavigating the rules. It made it harder to contact trace etc because people feared getting in trouble.

I'd be worried too that there is so much stigma currently around travelling, anyone returning to Ireland and developing mild Covid-like symptoms might be afraid to report them (as if you are positive there's a pretty decent chance your circumstances will end up in the press).

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

The Government are now using the insurance industry to bully us into not travelling to countries that will be in the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

SwissToni wrote: »
    The Government are now using the insurance industry to bully us into not travelling to countries that will be in the green list.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

siochain wrote: »
    How?

From an Irish Times article today

People who travel outside of Ireland have also been warned they will invalidate their travel insurance even if the country they visit is on the green list of safe countries to by published on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

From an Irish Times article today

People who travel outside of Ireland have also been warned they will invalidate their travel insurance even if the country they visit is on the green list of safe countries to by published on Monday.

Depends when you purchased your insurance.

Anyone who had it pre March is fine with most companies. If they bought it after March they won't be covered.

Checked with my own insurer and as my policy renews each January I'm still covered to travel anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Anyone in or been over to Switzerland recently? Trying to find out how they're doing. A friend near Bern has invited me over. I think I'll be too nervous to go but am weighing it up...it all looks very normal over there going by their Instagram posts.
    I was in Geneva yesterday for a while, very few people in the airport were wearing masks, that included immigration, customs and police, can’t say that i was too impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

smurfjed wrote: »
    I was in Geneva yesterday for a while, very few people in the airport were wearing masks, that included immigration, customs and police, can’t say that i was too impressed.
    Mandatory masks for public transport only.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-swiss-masks-compulsory.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

acequion wrote: »
    Any updates from anyone who has recently returned? Any follow ups? Phone calls?

I haven’t been called and would be surprised if I am. Anyway, I don’t answer private numbers or numbers that aren’t in my contact list so might be difficult for them to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

smurfjed wrote: »

Thanks. That's what I'd heard. They seem to be similar to the UK in their attitude of exceptionalism. I suppose at least they have far better medical facilities! Do you live in Switzerland? I'd be flying into Zurich and travelling by train to Bern, and any time I've done this before, it's been very quiet and uncrowded, but obviously I'm far more concerned now than I was then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see Mary lou McDonald making noise now, demanding mandatory 2 week quarantine for the whole island including from the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I see Mary lou McDonald making noise now, demanding mandatory 2 week quarantine for the whole island including from the North.

Do you not think this would be a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Do you live in Switzerland?
    No I don’t but I have spent quite some time there this year. As for the train, check out the first class prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Do you not think this would be a good thing?

Good thing for who?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

All politicians are control freaks. They will do anything to exercise their power over population. Now it's time of their lives. Political class all around the world dream about "pandemic" emergency forever.

faceman wrote: »
    Good thing for who?

Exactly that’s why i couldn’t be arsed replying to condescending posts anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ThatsNotMyCat

Did they actively change the language from quarantine to restricted movements or has it always been like that?

Is ‘daily exercise’ specified anywhere does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Micky 32 wrote: »

My irony meter just exploded.

My irony meter just exploded.

.... and then you read this :

Minister for Agriculture Dara Calleary has said that whether advice would change for people travelling to and from countries on the green list is still the subject of discussion.“

Did they actively change the language from quarantine to restricted movements or has it always been like that?

It changed start of July and went under the radar. Exercise specifically not mentioned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

These guidelines apply:

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/managing-coronavirus-at-home/if-you-live-with-someone-who-has-coronavirus.html#restrict

"You can still go outside to exercise by yourself as long as you keep 2 metres distance from other people."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I haven’t been called and would be surprised if I am. Anyway, I don’t answer private numbers or numbers that aren’t in my contact list so might be difficult for them to do so.

There's no requirement for you to answer your phone.

Like you, I have no intention of on my return.

Leave a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Let's hope to god the cabinet are mature tomorrow and not swayed by Twitter, Facebook extremists and celeb attention seeking Doctors

We need to at least take a step towards a return to travel as things are not going to change for a long time

A green list with good defined rules and removing the non-essential language for these countries is the only way to begin a path towards opening up our country in a responsible and fair way.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,615 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Am I correct in assuming at present anyone from Ireland can travel abroad anywhere (bar US unless a citzen) and this proposed green list is countries with low cases so no quarantining needed on return

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming at present anyone from Ireland can travel abroad anywhere (bar US unless a citzen) and this proposed green list is countries with low cases so no quarantining needed on return
    Yes, that's what it seems to be at present but it might change. It's all very muddled at the moment TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Leave a message.

The managers can probably make a shot at whether your in Ireland though if you answer it are not because the ring tone is different on the continent anyway and you can usual tell that someones not in the country even if they just let it ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Let's hope to god the cabinet are mature tomorrow and not swayed by Twitter, Facebook extremists and celeb attention seeking Doctors

We need to at least take a step towards a return to travel as things are not going to change for a long time

A green list with good defined rules and removing the non-essential language for these countries is the only way to begin a path towards opening up our country in a responsible and fair way.

While its tough for them that work in the airlines and such travel like for holidays is such a optional thing that for me its best they leave it closed. People will get on grand without going to Spain or wherever but they wont if they lose their jobs in the Autumn or their kids still cant go to school. And there is some travel anyways as essential travel is no bother so its not as if theres nothing at all at all, but people going to a beech somewhere is best just do without this year. Its no great hardship either in fairness as for lots its not as if they can afford to do that kind of thing anyway so its a small price for the rich to pay and they can go on all the foreign holidays with their skiing and such as well in a year or two when its safer. I wont be crying for them this year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,951 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think the green list is to help with health insurance not been withdrawn for travel

My problem with going somewhere for a holiday is that the place may not have many cases but where you are going is a holiday destination where there maybe others from countries with a higher case. I would love a foreign holiday but for this year I think it could be given a miss for a stay at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

While its tough for them that work in the airlines and such travel like for holidays is such a optional thing that for me its best they leave it closed. People will get on grand without going to Spain or wherever but they wont if they lose their jobs in the Autumn or their kids still cant go to school. And there is some travel anyways as essential travel is no bother so its not as if theres nothing at all at all, but people going to a beech somewhere is best just do without this year. Its no great hardship either in fairness as for lots its not as if they can afford to do that kind of thing anyway so its a small price for the rich to pay and they can go on all the foreign holidays with their skiing and such as well in a year or two when its safer. I wont be crying for them this year anyway.

That is an incredible take. You do realize some of us are working poor and are completely unable to pay for any kind of vacation in Ireland? You suggest people work nonstop no breaks no vacation in this dreary weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

Leave a message.

Am Deaf. Perfect excuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement