Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

• Registered Users Posts: 10,951 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The_Brood wrote: »
    That is an incredible take. You do realize some of us are working poor and are completely unable to pay for any kind of vacation in Ireland? You suggest people work nonstop no breaks no vacation in this dreary weather?

No one is saying you should not work non stop. Holidays should definitely be taken but may go on a sight seeing tour (which I am this year). Missing Spain or Italy or wherever will not kill you for a year. There are way to have a good holiday for the working poor in Ireland. It differently takes planning but can be done.

If you want to go then no one is to stop you but remember that unless its on the green list and the government change the lanuage of the advisory your insurance may be voided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

That is an incredible take. You do realize some of us are working poor and are completely unable to pay for any kind of vacation in Ireland? You suggest people work nonstop no breaks no vacation in this dreary weather?

No Im not at all. Of course their entitled to their time off from work. I didnt say they werent. Just that those that go to spain or wherever can do without it without any big deal so its a pity they cant and all but not them going is a small price to pay for the overall safety. I didnt say at all there should be non stop work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

No one is saying you should not work non stop. Holidays should definitely be taken but may go on a sight seeing tour (which I am this year). Missing Spain or Italy or wherever will not kill you for a year. There are way to have a good holiday for the working poor in Ireland. It differently takes planning but can be done.

If you want to go then no one is to stop you but remember that unless its on the green list and the government change the lanuage of the advisory your insurance is voided

The most important insurance to have is your European Health Insurance Card. There is no cost for it and it applies regardless.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/ehic/ehic.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

There are way to have a good holiday for the working poor in Ireland. It differently takes planning but can be done.

Please provide a list of suggestions, and I am asking completely unironically because I would like to consider them. For those without a car.

• Advertisement

No Im not at all. Of course their entitled to their time off from work. I didnt say they werent. Just that those that go to spain or wherever can do without it without any big deal so its a pity they cant and all but not them going is a small price to pay for the overall safety. I didnt say at all there should be non stop work.

And what are your break suggestions for the working poor on very low salaries and no car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It would be very annoying for those wanting to travel to France if it isn't on the green list because its south american territories are pushing up its cases per 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

If you want to go then no one is to stop you but remember that unless its on the green list and the government change the lanuage of the advisory your insurance is voided

People need to stop peddling this blanket statement. Some insurers are taking different stances to others. If anyone is unsure of their own cover just ring up.

*All policies exclude Illness/cancellation relating directly to Covid. But this will be the case even if your chosen destination is on a green list.

Please provide a list of suggestions, and I am asking completely unironically because I would like to consider them. For those without a car.

I have nothing on me at the moment I am just travelling around the country on day breaks. Such as Salthil for a day, West Clare & Kerry another days. Maybe Fota Wildlife if I can get a place. Now for me there only be myself for most time but maybe my father and niece or nephew for other. Google is your friend

Edit Did not see no car. You have me there I suppose. If you live in Dublin there are plenty of places to go. You could also go by train or bus

Feria40 wrote: »
    People need to stop peddling this blanket statement. Some insurers are taking different stances to others. If anyone is unsure of their own cover just ring up.

*All policies exclude Illness/cancellation relating directly to Covid. But this will be the case even if your chosen destination is on a green list.

Yes your right I should have said may and not will. I will amend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭forumdedum

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

And what are your break suggestions for the working poor on very low salaries and no car?

Cant catch what your angling here. Arent they the same people that woulndt be going to their villa in Portugal so dont know what the point is. Its the rich going away that can do without it and stay home like the rest for one summer anyway for all the harm itl do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Decided to book a flight and get out of here next Saturday for a few weeks. No return flight booked yet and will see how it goes. Will take the necessary precautions but I don't want it to come to the end of the summer and all I've done is stayed in Ireland for the summer with the ****e weather (save this weekend, its been lovely.

Cant catch what your angling here. Arent they the same people that woulndt be going to their villa in Portugal so dont know what the point is. Its the rich going away that can do without it and stay home like the rest for one summer anyway for all the harm itl do them.

Erm, no? There are loads of great places outside of Ireland for way, way cheaper prices - those that even those in low salaries in Ireland can afford. People on limited budgets go abroad, not stay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The most important insurance to have is your European Health Insurance Card. There is no cost for it and it applies regardless.

https://www2.hse.ie/services/ehic/ehic.html

Why anyone bothers with travel insurance within the EU baffles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

No way!! Whats that about.......

It's an international embarrassment at this stage!!!

quote="stephenjmcd;114080842"]https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1284945660383559680?s=19[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

like they need a meeting anyway when they have decided the criteria already,more can kicking as it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

I predicted that earlier, that this is the weasle way to delay and delay until Christmas

Are they going to keep kicking the can until the summer season is over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are they going to keep kicking the can until the summer season is over

Is the Pope a Catholic?
    Does a bear...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I'm back tomorrow after 10 days in my own home in Spain.

I'm happy to be coming back as I'm missing loved ones in Ireland. But the kind of ignorance I read on this thread from people saying skip Spain for one year won't kill ye and listening to this Professor Skally on RTE radio news today saying if we only stopped travel we'd get to zero, we'd have life back to normal but we couldn't travel.

What part of Ireland is in Europe do people not understand? What part of freedom of movement, connectivity,openness, all the wonderful things that Europe brought to our once insular island do people not understand? And what part of people living lives in two parts of Europe with properties and loved ones in two parts as I do and many others like me, do people not understand?

For people like me connectivity is a life line. And this clever professor that says we should close down the country to get to zero and then what? If the rest of Europe and the world is still behind us do we still batten down the hatches locking people in and out? For how long exactly?

I was glad to hear Mc Grath afterwards saying no we can't close down and we can't enforce quarantine as we're in the EU. Yes ambiguous and bullshytty I agree and so typical of the crap we get from politicians in Ireland but at least people can still travel. I feel very sorry for people whose work compromises them re this restriction on return malarky. But people who are obeying this bullshyt and losing money on cancelled trips just because the Govt says that's what they must do are for the birds! It's anti travel propaganda to suit a new administration that is feeding on hysteria just so they can get their basic jobs done ie open schools and keep our uselessly funded hospitals from going under.

And somehow people think that repressing the population via media propaganda etc [we're all in this together :rolleyes:] when no other European country is daring to do so, is ok! And stigmatising those who do travel? Nothing like that here in Spain! I really am going back to that oppressive place with a very heavy heart. I remember feeling like that way back in the 80's when the church had everyone in thrall. Really what has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

How can people afford holidays abroad if they cant afford one in Ireland? I've been on heaps of cheap holidays in Ireland. I grew up in a working class family and we always had our holidays in Ireland or took the ferry to the UK because anything else was too expensive. It sounds like an excuse to me. I've a holiday booked in Ireland at the end of this month that's very reasonable, doubt I could match it abroad taking into account flights, transfers, travel insurance, airport parking, taxis etc. I suppose if you're into drinking 10 pints of lager a day in some cheap imitation Irish bar in Spain for 10 days it's different. Food and drink can be expensive here but you get what you pay for. The best meals I've had have been in Irish restaraunts. We should be making excuses to stay in Ireland to protect our health system and boost our hospitality sector as much as possible

I've seen a number of anti-travel headlines on RTE attributed to Dr. Skally. I wonder has anyone argued with him that that approach is totally out of kilter with the rest of the EU and the ECDC does not recommend travel restrictions as a way of containing the virus at this stage of the outbreak.

His opinions on the matter seem to be treated as gospel by RTE despite contradicting the ECDC and the actions taken by the rest of the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭almostover

I've seen a number of anti-travel headlines on RTE attributed to Dr. Skally. I wonder has anyone argued with him that that approach is totally out of kilter with the rest of the EU and the ECDC does not recommend travel restrictions as a way of containing the virus at this stage of the outbreak.

His opinions on the matter seem to be treated as gospel by RTE despite contradicting the ECDC and the actions taken by the rest of the EU.

Professor of epidemiology vs. politicians. Who do you think knows more about virus transmission?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

What also seems odd is that travel from countries with slightly higher infection rates in the EU is taboo but travelling from a high infection zone within Ireland (Dublin) to counties that have seen no infections in ages on a staycation is a wonderful civic duty everyone should do...

almostover wrote: »
    Professor of epidemiology vs. politicians. Who do you think knows more about virus transmission?

I'd trust a published document by the ECDC, which would have gone through many drafts, revisions and approvals by people just as qualified, over the interviews of a single scientist in the media.

I also highly doubt that the EU would be so foolhardy as to reopen the continent for travel if it was against the advice of their own scientists.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I don't get the obsession with the 'Green List'.

Regardless of what countries are on it or not, the only legal requirement is to fill in a form on return - after that it's completely up to you what to do.

I certainly won't be telling my employer where I've been in my personal time, I won't be answering the phone to some low-level bureaucrat wondering what I'm up to and I won't be restricting my movements on my return - nor am I obliged to.

I'll be using the old fashioned method of 'thinking for myself' and I won't be even slightly concerned what 'de man on the telly' is saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Went to Tenerife last week. Probably the best travel experience of my life. No queue to check in luggage. No queue at security. Plane less than half full. Got the QR code online before leaving and getting through on the other side was painless. Everyone wearing masks the whole time. Didn’t find it much of a hindrance and felt completely safe.

Flights €30 each way. Apartment €60 per night (could have got cheaper). Rented a car. All in for two of us was €650 for 5 days.

Spent the week seeing the sights and on the beach. Practically zero chance of catching the virus. Didn’t eat out or go to any bars. From what I saw though, that looked safe enough. As safe as here anyway.

I’ve seen a few people say “I couldn’t wear a mask in that heat”. Mask wearing in shops was mandatory but not outdoors. So it’s not like you have to wear one on the beach or anything.

It was pretty quiet there though. Lots of shops/bars/restaurants were closed but that didn’t bother us. With the government dragging their heals on this green list and the media coverage, there does seem to be this false sense of Ireland = good & Spain = bad. Since I came back, I am the tanned sheep of the family. I’m sure people will be judged by friends, colleagues etc.

Honestly, imo it’s bollocks. People will have reasons not to travel and that’s fine, each to their own. But believing that it’s dangerous now and thinking the government advice is only health based is naive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement