Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

BanditLuke wrote: »
    I think the government should do all they can to get anyone home who has a medical condition and has been unable to return home for whatever reason until now. For instance if there was someone who had suffered a stroke and was in hospital and now has been released due to the need for beds for the virus etc.. but really anyone who went on holiday or business to another country and is stuck there now should be left to deal with the results of their actions as they are highly irresponsible and selfish.

At this stage you are where you are. I am fine with the shutters coming down for Tourists and business travellers until this virus looks like its lifting. If you didnt see this coming as late as two months ago, you dont deserve a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Its not about who pays for the flight, it is about there being a flight at all so you are pretty off base with that comment.

I know a backpacker who is now stuck in Peru and she would happily pay for a flight home, but the fact is that Peru is in full lockdown, full quarantine and so she has no options regarding travel. I haven't much sympathy for people off travelling the world but she can hardly make a 747 appear with a click of her fingers can she.

Is your friend in Peru conscious of the fact that she will be expected to stay indoors and isolated if the government send a plane and crew over to an infected country, to bring her home....can’t she just stay indoors in Peru instead of asking for others to be put at risk of infection ...and for what...I think it’s quite selfish of those in foreign countries to ask to be taken out of one country and brought back home. When the end result will/should be the same, social isolation.

Let me put it another way, when we have a storm off the coast of this country, do you think those that go out for a swim or go kitesurfing are doing the right thing or do you think they are putting emergency service personnel in danger because of their actions....in my head it’s incredibly similar to your friends situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Had booked Japan for the Olympics, which have now been cancelled. Unfortunately all that means is I get the tickets moved to 2021 and still have flights to Japan to stay places that were payed mountains of money for due to the Olympics, with no Olympics :(
    Is it wrong to hope that we can't travel to Japan by July 31st so I can have the flights changed to next year when they are actually on!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

batman_oh wrote: »
    Had booked Japan for the Olympics, which have now been cancelled. Unfortunately all that means is I get the tickets moved to 2021 and still have flights to Japan to stay places that were payed mountains of money for due to the Olympics, with no Olympics :(
    Is it wrong to hope that we can't travel to Japan by July 31st so I can have the flights changed to next year when they are actually on!

Pretty much every airline on earth is offering free changes to your flights, they'll almost certainly be scheduled for the same time slot next year so just rebook them .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Pretty much every airline on earth is offering free changes to your flights, they'll almost certainly be scheduled for the same time slot next year so just rebook them .

No chance of being able to book a flight over a year in advance. Maybe you could get vouchers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It sucks losing money on travel plans but if there ever was a force majeure...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

There was another eejit stuck in Melbourne on Morning Ireland this morning, complaining that he can't get home.
    Its not as though he's stuck in a famine in South Sudan FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

There was another eejit stuck in Melbourne on Morning Ireland this morning, complaining that he can't get home.
    Its not as though he's stuck in a famine in South Sudan FFS.

What can they do? They cant deport him to a country that is closed. He was closer to China and should have seen this coming. Sit tight, we are sending you two thumbs up and the best of Irish luck. Fuppin' eejit (the goon in Oz, not the commenter).

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Are you traveling outside of Ireland in the next few weeks?will you go now because the coronavirus is getting worse or will you cancel?
    Im due to go to prague in 2 weeks and i don't know if i should?

Mod: It has been suggested to merge this with the main Corona thread, but I think a dedicated thread about travel has merit. If it becomes too much like the main thread, I'll just merge the two.

NO, wont be travelling. Cant see how it makes sense to go to a country to be placed in "Self Isolation" for 14 days & then come home & probably have to do the same here.... no logic to it either way, so we'll be staying home & try to sit it out.

There is more today, the 6 heroes arriving from Perth.
    I don't for 1 second believe they are home because there's a national emergency.
    The tax payer probably funded the flight and they'll be gone again in 6 months, or else they wanted to come home anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,325 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't for 1 second believe they are home because there's a national emergency.
    The tax payer probably funded the flight and they'll be gone again in 6 months, or else they wanted to come home anyway.

So you don’t have a clue what their motives are, you just know they’re wrong’ns.

Christ, it really amuses me whey I see someone who just wants to be nasty and they don’t care what reason they use to justify it. Any reason will do, eh Phil?

They’re doctors, not dole scrounges. Doctors coming back to Ireland in a medical emergency, to help me and you if we need them. Have you seen what happens when a health service is overrun? Have a look on the news at what a hospital in Spain looks like right now and see if we need those 80 doctors coming form oz.

You should be ashamed of yourself if you have any sense of shame at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Do they not have to go into isolation for 2 weeks?

To thine own self be true

So you don’t have a clue what their motives are, you just know they’re wrong’ns.

Christ, it really amuses me whey I see someone who just wants to be nasty and they don’t care what reason they use to justify it. Any reason will do, eh Phil?

They’re doctors, not dole scrounges. Doctors coming back to Ireland in a medical emergency, to help me and you if we need them. Have you seen what happens when a health service is overrun? Have a look on the news at what a hospital in Spain looks like right now and see if we need those 80 doctors coming form oz.

You should be ashamed of yourself if you have any sense of shame at all.

I never said we didn't need them, nor am I trying to be nasty to anyone, so take a chill pill there dude.

I am not convinced that they are coming home to be heroes, I feel they were probably coming home anyway. I just hate this triumphalist arriving in the airport "oh aren't we such heroes altogether".

There are thousands of real heroes in our health service who didn't leave to go to Australia, many of whom have worked in dreadful conditions in our health service for many years and saved thousands of lives in the process. These are the real heroes of our health service.

I never said we didn't need them, nor am I trying to be nasty to anyone, so take a chill pill there dude.

I am not convinced that they are coming home to be heroes, I feel they were probably coming home anyway. I just hate this triumphalist arriving in the airport "oh aren't we such heroes altogether".

There are thousands of real heroes in our health service who didn't leave to go to Australia, many of whom have worked in dreadful conditions in our health service for many years and saved thousands of lives in the process. These are the real heroes of our health service.

Lol at the backtracking. I hope you’re genuinely a bit ashamed of yourself for this guff. We need doctors and they answered the call for doctors to come help you and me and particularly to save our older and vulnerable relatives. And you call them “heroes”. They don’t call themselves heroes. You’re just being a nasty piece of work taking the p1ss out of people who are here to help you and all the old people who will desperately need medical help in the near future.

You have absolutely no idea when they intended to return to Ireland. You’re making that up and if you were being honest, you’d admit that. Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame.

Lol at the backtracking. I hope you’re genuinely a bit ashamed of yourself for this guff. We need doctors and they answered the call for doctors to come help you and me and particularly to save our older and vulnerable relatives. And you call them “heroes”. They don’t call themselves heroes. You’re just being a nasty piece of work taking the p1ss out of people who are here to help you and all the old people who will desperately need medical help in the near future.

You have absolutely no idea when they intended to return to Ireland. You’re making that up and if you were being honest, you’d admit that. Shame on you. Shame, shame, shame.

Well you clearly have strong feelings here. I didn't take the p1ss out of anyone and stand by my original post. I'm not ashamed of anything and don't care what you think. What about all the thousands of people who have come out of retirement, should we have a photo op and fanfare for all of these too?

To call me a nasty piece of work says a lot about you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Yep I will keep on travelling as it’s part of my job description.

Well you clearly have strong feelings here. I didn't take the p1ss out of anyone and stand by my original post. I'm not ashamed of anything and don't care what you think. What about all the thousands of people who have come out of retirement, should we have a photo op and fanfare for all of these too?

To call me a nasty piece of work says a lot about you

I applaud the ones who have come out of retirement too. I don’t pretend to know their motives like you pretend to know the returning healthcare workers’ motives. Pretending to know these healthcare workers were coming home anyway demonstrates a nasty streak in you.

Did the returning healthcare workers all get a photo op? Did they ask for a photo op? What’s your problem with someone taking their photo and offering a sincere “thank you” to them?

As a matter of interest, do you pretend to know the motives for the healthcare workers coming out of retirement to help?

Are you jealous of the healthcare workers returning and healthcare worker coming out or retirement to help? What’s your actual beef?

PS. I do have strong feelings on this. I have moderate feelings of gratitude towards the healthcare workers returning and healthcare worker coming out or retirement to help. I have strong feelings of revulsion to any nasty piece of work who would take the p1ss out of them for doing it.

Pretending to know they were coming home anyway to justify your nasty sentiments towards them. I’m mortified for whoever raised you and left you with such nasty sentiments towards healthcare workers - people who are doing exactly what we need right now. Shame on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If all the non Irish HSE workers went home to help their countries we would be pretty fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

Where - if anywhere - is still open to tourists in;

- Europe
    - South East Asia ?

- or anywhere warm and decent really

None of the articles I’ve seen seem to be upto date with the latest info

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

RiseAbove4 wrote: »
    Where - if anywhere - is still open to tourists in;

- Europe
    - South East Asia ?

- or anywhere warm and decent really

None of the articles I’ve seen seem to be upto date with the latest info

Really???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭RiseAbove4

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Really???

Yes

Ireland is fùcked with this. The HSE can’t handle a normal week, let alone this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,674 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is there a case to be made for barring all flights into Ireland except for;

1-Flights with exclusively Irish passengers by that I mean Irish passport holders - they all should get a virus check on arrival and then strict isolation for 14 days regardless

2-Emergency flights of medical workers with the all clear from virus

3-Cargo flights with no passengers

The aim being to eradicate the virus being brought here via air travel

Also just to add -

I’ve heard numerous ppl (family friends work colleagues and randomers) ask with incredulity why the airport is still open?

This is something that surely needs to be addressed if we are to win the war against this b*stard of a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's already here. What would closing the airports achieve? Nobody's flying for leisure these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Is there a case to be made for barring all flights into Ireland except for;

1-Flights with exclusively Irish passengers by that I mean Irish passport holders - they all should get a virus check on arrival and then strict isolation for 14 days regardless

2-Emergency flights of medical workers with the all clear from virus

3-Cargo flights with no passengers

The aim being to eradicate the virus being brought here via air travel

You do know that the airport traffic is down 95%, the only people on flights are those being repatriated or those having travel for essential reasons.

Just look at flight radar over Ireland and dublin airport website.

Flights wont be barred, its been discussed time and time agian on the main thread

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Why are ppl so definitive that flights will not be barred? Is there not a case to ban until this virus is under control?

endacl wrote: »
    It's already here. What would closing the airports achieve? Nobody's flying for leisure these days.

If we allow travel in then ppl with the virus can come in and infect previously “all clear” communities

Mr.S wrote: »
    The virus is here. A handful of people arriving every day will not change things that much, they are told to self-isolate on arrival for 14 days.

Banning flights will just trap people who need to get home. Counter-productive at this stage.

Where are you getting a handful of ppl arriving?

Also- do you realise it just takes a few ppl to spread it to hundreds.

This virus is more infectious than many ppl think

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Planes are arriving virtually empty. There are under 15 flights arriving into Dublin tomorrow. Do the math.

If those people arriving self-isolate, the risk is low. I can't speak for every person, but i'm pretty sure that nearly 100% of the people arriving are Irish citizens / residents (or people with family here) abroad coming home.

Is it better to keep those people trapped outside of Ireland? No.

I would agree we need to accept Irish back in (passport holders). I’d be of the view to bar all others for 2 weeks then see where we are

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement