Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

How dumb do you have to be not to understand this? The advice is if you don't have to travel don't travel.

If you do have to travel then you need to quarantine for 2 weeks when you come back EXCEPT if you were in a country on the government green list.

Whether you have to travel or not is down to you the traveller. Our government rules by consent. Some people will take the piss but even if they tried to, I don't think it would be possible to truly enforce quarantines beyond checking in on people from time to time.

I agree. The press narrative is that there are mixed messages and that we, the idiot populace, are all confused. That’s nonsense.....it’s perfectly clear. We as individuals just have to decide what we want to do with the information

I loved the Vietnamese China border comparison with the north

Interesting how outside of New Zealand communist countries have done so well.
    We should probably have emulated North Korea where they have no cases and successfully beat the virus. Although I think they shot the confirmed cases .[/quote]

No, they lined up all the viruses and shot them

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On the bright side, Penneys is selling off all its Summer stuff since some people don't want to or can't go away this year.

A bag of stuff for €30.

Some people don't want to go shopping anymore in bricks and mortar shops either, that's true.

Better get an online presence and lease the city shops/offices for the homeless. ;)

My OH avoided shopping centres forever, loved a ramble around the city, but the experience is just so depressing, it's online now.

That is sad, but there we are mostly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone here know if there are any chances of the Irish listing the UK as a safe destination? I live there and have two weddings in September. An enforced 2-week isolation period will complicate things. The British have listed Ireland as safe but Ireland understandably have not reciprocated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Does anyone here know if there are any chances of the Irish listing the UK as a safe destination? I live there and have two weddings in September. An enforced 2-week isolation period will complicate things. The British have listed Ireland as safe but Ireland understandably have not reciprocated.

There is no enforced 2 week isolation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Not sure where the weddings will take place are they here in Ireland?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There is no enforced 2 week isolation.

I thought people had to self isolate for 2 weeks, no?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

yep bar selfish saps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Harika

Fly from Belfast, no obligations from there.
    Besides that seems to be a bi-weekly review, but as UK develops slim to none chance to land on the green list.
    Is the wedding taking place at the isle of man and does this count as country? Might have a chance then :D

Harika wrote: »
    Fly from Belfast, no obligations from there.
    Besides that seems to be a bi-weekly review, but as UK develops slim to none chance to land on the green list.
    Is the wedding taking place at the isle of man and does this count as country? Might have a chance then :D

Weddings are in the Republic. Would Bus Eireann be taking details at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,684 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If you are responsible you do.

Some type of person naturally wont isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You don't. There's no requirement to.

Just fill in a form on your return.

Holiday in Ireland everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Pay your taxes everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

No thanks, too expensive, too much rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

If the UK rate of infection 14 day goes below 5 per 100k they will make the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The numbers are available here and updated every evening.

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

You're not exactly clear. You live where? You have two weddings where?

Anyway take no notice of the morality police that often patrol these forums! :rolleyes: The plain fact is that it's not quarantine rather "restrict your movements" and it's advisory not mandatory. Your call as to how and what you can do. However, between here and September things will probably all change again, less strict, more strict, impossible to predict!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

A couple of points, if I may.
    almostover wrote: »
    Spain have lower wages than us, much lower. Hence the lower prices of eating and drinking out.

This. It's amazing the number of holiday makers who don't realise the "great value" when on holiday is down to the lower wages being paid, particular in the services industry in the Spanish tourism sector.
    Cases were rising in very busy places like Barcelona, Catalonia, but they've gone down again I think.

Very very little cases in tourist hotpspots like Costa Del Sol, Costa Blanca.. And no cases in the places like lanzarote etc.

True, the Catalonia region had a very serious increase in daily new cases recently, reaching a peak of over 1,000 new cases daily a few days ago. Today's new case count is 721.
    Lanzarote currently has 11 active cases. The Canaries total of active cases stands at 159 with 11 new cases today.
    acequion wrote: »
    I will add that mask wearing has now become compulsory everywhere outdoors in Andalucia.

Correct. Indeed, facemasks are now compulsory, regardless of whether you can maintain social distancing or not, indoors & outdoors, across all Spanish regions bar Madrid & the Canary Islands, although the Madrid authorities have now admitted they are open to adding this measure. The Canarian authorities too have hinted that they would consider implementing the measure if the public don't buy into doing so voluntarily.
    Spain currently has 224 virus clusters, 21 more than 2 days ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

On the bright side, Penneys is selling off all its Summer stuff since some people don't want to or can't go away this year.

A bag of stuff for €30.

That’s a cheap bag of stuff, get me onto whoever your man is!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

yep bar selfish saps

Actually you don’t, advice is now to ‘restrict movements’ interpret as you like but they have dropped the ‘isolation’ bit.

Also and important, this is ADVICE, worth listening to but at no point was it a requirement, the form is the only mandatory part of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭54and56

bladespin wrote: »
    Actually you don’t, advice is now to ‘restrict movements’ interpret as you like but they have dropped the ‘isolation’ bit.

Also and important, this is ADVICE, worth listening to but at no point was it a requirement, the form is the only mandatory part of it all.

The problem with Govt advice is that adherence is discretionary, that's why it's "advice", not law.

If all but essential travel is that important to public health why not legislate so that the foreign or health minister can issue an order banning international travel for X days without a permit granted by the Dept of Foreign Affairs which could be applied for and granted (or denied) within 24 hours online?

We have laws about wearing seat belts after an initial period of advice didn't produce enough compliance. Same with smoking, you're not "advised" to not smoke in public places, you're banned from doing so by law.

We currently have Govt health advice about not exceeding X units of alcohol per week which a huge number of people ignore (causing deaths) but there isn't uproar that the advice is ignored, it's deemed to be a freedom of choice issue. Same goes for Govt dietary advice.

Advice is discretionary, you are free to follow it or ignore it.

Laws on the other hand are not discretionary.

Govts are elected to legislate. They should do their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Anyone else curious as to how Greenland ended up on the green list? I'm thinking it was just having 'green' in the name that got it over the line.I was looking at flights today and I can't find any way to get there that doesn't involve staying in Denmark or Iceland for at least a night or possibly hopping to another green list country first for a day before heading to Denmark or Iceland.

It would be a costly trip even on a good day. At least 800 quid on flights before getting to the door of an outrageously expensive hostel but I've been wanting to go there for a while now. Had been thinking of going to Ittoqqortoormiit long before there was any coronavirus but that isn't really an option if one has to go to Akureyri in Iceland first.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,301 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Antarctica should have made the list. They're doing well.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,416 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

acequion wrote: »
    You're not exactly clear. You live where? You have two weddings where?

Anyway take no notice of the morality police that often patrol these forums! :rolleyes: The plain fact is that it's not quarantine rather "restrict your movements" and it's advisory not mandatory. Your call as to how and what you can do. However, between here and September things will probably all change again, less strict, more strict, impossible to predict!

Thanks.

I live in London and have two weddings in the Irish republic in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,966 ✭✭✭✭josip

Anyone else curious as to how Greenland ended up on the green list? I'm thinking it was just having 'green' in the name that got it over the line.I was looking at flights today and I can't find any way to get there that doesn't involve staying in Denmark or Iceland for at least a night or possibly hopping to another green list country first for a day before heading to Denmark or Iceland.

Greenland is only on the list for padding to make the list look bigger so that the government can say they're not being unreasonably restrictive.
    100% spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

If the UK rate of infection 14 day goes below 5 per 100k they will make the list.

Cheers. Is 5 the magic number? Did the Gov state that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

Will the Irish Travel Advisory be reviewed again in 2 weeks (meaning 4th August)?

Or as it was delayed, this is indicative it will be done on an ad-hoc basis, or possibly not at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

Flew back into Ireland yesterday.

Filled in the passenger locator form (was handed out on the plane) but didn't see any information about the advice to quarantine or self isolate for 14 days.

So if you are a tourist or you just don't follow the news, you would not even know about this government recommendation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement