Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

At last some clarification from the DFA website, we’ll all have to find something else to argue about now.😉

https://www.dfa.ie/

Important Travel Advice Update

General COVID-19 Travel Advisory in Operation:

General advice to avoid non-essential travel and ‘Normal Precautions’ list of exemptions:

In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. However, as of 21 July, travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice. The security status for those locations to which non-essential travel can resume has been changed to ‘normal precautions’ (“green”) rating. Individuals arriving in Ireland from these locations will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival. These locations are:

Cyprus
    Estonia
    Finland
    Gibraltar
    Greece
    Greenland
    Hungary
    Italy
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Malta
    Norway
    Monaco
    San Marino
    Slovakia
    Inclusion on the list is based on the current epidemiological situation and related public health information in each location. The list and related travel advice will be reviewed on a fortnightly basis, based on advice from officials including public health experts. Any updates or changes will be made in line with Government decisions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

d15ude wrote: »
    Flew back into Ireland yesterday.

Filled in the passenger locator form (was handed out on the plane) but didn't see any information about the advice to quarantine or self isolate for 14 days.

So if you are a tourist or you just don't follow the news, you would not even know about this government recommendation.

If the government was serious about any of this they’d have temperature checks and extra staff in airport to ensure travellers are informed and all forms completed

Does anyone here know if there are any chances of the Irish listing the UK as a safe destination? I live there and have two weddings in September. An enforced 2-week isolation period will complicate things. The British have listed Ireland as safe but Ireland understandably have not reciprocated.
    I thought people had to self isolate for 2 weeks, no?
    Weddings are in the Republic. Would Bus Eireann be taking details at all?

No chances of the Irish listing the UK as on the green list, England is a covid sh1tshow.

I'm not going to a wedding in August as there's a few + folk coming from the England who will be ignoring the quarantine. There's more then me not going for the same reason and we've made it clear why.

It's not enforced but it's really p1ss poor form to come from a Covid disaster area and possibly spread the thing around an area where there's not much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Why can’t all Americans be bussed to Citywest and subject to mandatory quarantine?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

faceman wrote: »
    If the government was serious about any of this they’d have temperature checks and extra staff in airport to ensure travellers are informed and all forms completed

There seems to be a deliberate strategy of letting the morality police do all the enforcement, that way they can keep NPHET happy at home while giving the outside world the appearance of remaining open.

I took a look if I can find any coverage of the Green List in Europe, it didn't attract much attention yet but there was an article on a German travel page that showed bemusement, above all:

https://reisetopia.de/news/irland-green-list-ohne-dach-laender/

Translated excerpt:

"The list will surely be met with little understanding, especially among a number of travelers, since the situation has improved significantly in many of the other European countries still banned. Since the Corona crisis, however, many states have also been accused of using such decrees as a political instrument. To what extent this could help Ireland remains to be seen. All that remains to be hoped is that the list can soon be expanded to include Germany, Austria and Switzerland."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

The Germans can see it for what it is but as usual the Irish dog just gets kicked around and barks at those who won't stay down to be kicked some more. There really should be outrage about this as the ramifications for so many people are huge not to mention the economic factor. And no need at all for such a draconian stance if a little common sense and trust in the innate sense of responsibility of the majority were applied.

I'm very disappointed that the EU hasn't stepped in here and insisted on a common travel policy within the EU. They were quick enough to do so on economic matters but I guess that shows that economic issues will always comes first, public health is secondary. But it would make so much more sense to have a coordinated policy including arriving and departure protocols in all EU airports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Germany has a fine history of using decrees and political instruments to help itself to other parts of Europe when it wants so I wouldnt be worrying too much what they thinks.

Does anyone here know if there are any chances of the Irish listing the UK as a safe destination? I live there and have two weddings in September. An enforced 2-week isolation period will complicate things. The British have listed Ireland as safe but Ireland understandably have not reciprocated.

And now it's the 12th time.

It's not a legal requirement, it's a medical recommendation.

Tune in tomorrow when another person doesn't bother reading and it's repeated for the 13th time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭54and56

The DFA clarification draws a line under any ambiguity ref whether or not it's safe to travel to the green listed countries. It is safe to do so and in doing so you are not ignoring the governments advice about avoiding all but essential overseas travel as the travel advisory no longer applies to the green listed countries.

PdRrOr.png

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    The Netherlands does that... forced quarantine only if you're coming from catalunya, Galicia and a specific region in Portugal.

If they can do it, why cant we? What's so hard?

We let Americans in while the rest of Europe has banned them. We are just enforcing masks now when the rest of Europe has done it for months. Everybody does temperature checks at airports, not us. FFS wake up Ireland, follow what other members states are doing and you'll be fine

The rest of Europe has been doing it's own thing just as we have.

Some countries have been forcing people into quarantine centers regardless of reason for travel. Personally I think forcing someone who displays zero symptoms of an illness that has less than 1% fatality to miss their parents final days and funeral to be barbaric but that's just me.

Holland is Schengen, we are not. They have an open border with Spain, we do not.

There's 17 regions in Spain alone. Imagine the confusion if you did the green list like that when people don't understand it at the moment and you have Gibraltar, Monaco and Greenland ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I don't think the regions things would be so confusing. Ireland's different because its a small country but in bigger countries there's an acceptance that circunstances can vary greatly by region.

For example if you go Brazil, you have to get shots if you are going to visit the Amazon but not if you're going to stay in places like Rio or SP.

Or just look at Australia where they are cutting off Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Dublin has half the cases so the rest of the country infection is negligible. Quarantine the capital is all Ireland needs as the rural areas are isolating anyway, as European countries are dealing with outbreaks. Panic here about schools and hospitals. UK has many places with lower virus than Dublin, as does Portugal but we like to paint awful pictures of these countries. If a vaccine is produced, it will likely come from these ‘ awful’ countries, not from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lion11

Can somebody advise what to do. I was on holidays. Came back to Ireland 16 July. Usually I was receiving Job seekers allowance on Thursday today. My payment has been stopped and social welfare informed me that I am not going to get paid for holidays and 14 days after holidays. Where should I apply to get paid for this time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Some updates from Spain now that we have some robust stats. Cases generally speaking are increasing obvious but there are some interesting observations.

Catalonia region is a mess. The government there should be held to task by Madrid. They will inevitably end up in an enforced phase 2 lockdown. Phase 2 means bars and restaurants can still open but at 50% capacity. Gyms must close.

France is discussing border closure with Spain because the worst hit areas in Spain border France.

Other regions generally speaking are seeing an increase in figures. There is a huge question mark over some of the increase in numbers and where it comes from. The media is saying a few hundred cases have been lumped in with no explanation

The Valencia and Andulasia regions, popular with Costa tourists is seeing increases, particularly Andulasia, however cases per 100,000 is still less than 10 in the worst hit towns.

Here’s where it gets interesting. Despite the increase in cases, the death rate has not increased. The vast majority of cases are in. The 20-40 bracket with the government blaming house parties, family gatherings and nightclubs. The costas are also blaming Spanish tourists for bringing C19 to their areas. (Andulasia and Valencia region weren’t badly hit originally)

Also while cases are increasing, community transmission is not in most areas. What this means we’d need to an expert to explain

Finally, the hospitals were originally the Covid front line. Now that the state of alarm is over that has been pushed to clinics and health centres. Some areas aren’t happy with this as they are approaching capacity of services with all the testing and contact tracing. Help is being sought

Spain needs to make sure they stay on top of contact tracing, ensure clinics have support and get tough with the Catalan government.

We will know by Friday what happens with the french/Spanish border.

lion11 wrote: »
    Can somebody advise what to do. I was on holidays. Came back to Ireland 16 July. Usually I was receiving Job seekers allowance on Thursday today. My payment has been stopped and social welfare informed me that I am not going to get paid for holidays and 14 days after holidays. Where should I apply to get paid for this time?

Your experience sounds as it should :)
    What's the problem?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/claiming_a_social_welfare_payment/going_abroad_and_social_welfare_payments.html

If you are getting Jobseeker's Benefit, Jobseeker’s Benefit (Self-employed), or Jobseeker’s Allowance you can go on holiday on the island of Ireland for a maximum of 2 weeks and get the 2 weeks payment on your return. Since 7 July 2020, you will only be paid for a holiday abroad that is in accordance with the General COVID-19 Travel Advisory in operation. You will also not be paid for the 14 days that you are required to self-isolate when you return from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lion11

I left Ireland 5 July. It came into effect from 7 July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

I left Ireland 5 July. It came into effect from 7 July.

At best you might be able to argue that you are paid for the 5th and 6th.

You won’t get paid for the 7th onwards, or until July 30th when your self isolation is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

this was well flagged in the media so no chance of getting paid, anyhow hope you you enjoyed the holiday and restriction of movements for 2 weeks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Gael23 wrote: »
    Why can’t all Americans be bussed to Citywest and subject to mandatory quarantine?
    or can they just stay in the US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Benimar wrote: »
    At best you might be able to argue that you are paid for the 5th and 6th.

You won’t get paid for the 7th onwards, or until July 30th when your self isolation is up.

Are you the new minister for social welfare? I would think that a law coming into effect after the action has no impact on the action. If you drove at 70kph yesterday and a new speed limit of 60kph were introduced today, would you expect to be prosecuted?

• Advertisement

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    this was well flagged in the media so no chance of getting paid, anyhow hope you you enjoyed the holiday and restriction of movements for 2 weeks:)

Before gloating, you should have read the post in detail.

That's just three hairdressers trying to negotiate a junction.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Benimar

polesheep wrote: »
    Are you the new minister for social welfare? I would think that a law coming into effect after the action has no impact on the action. If you drove at 70kph yesterday and a new speed limit of 60kph were introduced today, would you expect to be prosecuted?

Again with the crap analogies!

His problem is he drove 70kph on the 7th, 8th etc. So he gets ‘prosecuted’ as you put it for those.

And do you think that the Minister for Social Protection is the only one allowed answer the OPs query? Or do you just like to automatically go on the offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

The rest of Europe has been doing it's own thing just as we have.

Some countries have been forcing people into quarantine centers regardless of reason for travel. Personally I think forcing someone who displays zero symptoms of an illness that has less than 1% fatality to miss their parents final days and funeral to be barbaric but that's just me.

Holland is Schengen, we are not. They have an open border with Spain, we do not.

There's 17 regions in Spain alone. Imagine the confusion if you did the green list like that when people don't understand it at the moment and you have Gibraltar, Monaco and Greenland ffs!

Can you provide some evidence of which EU country is forcing EU citizens in quarantine centers since intra-EU travel has been allowed?

NL is Schengen and is reachable by car from Spain but that’s not the point. These are recommendations for NL citizens and Spanish people wanting to visit. If you want to dodge the rules you can take a train from Catalunya to Madrid and fly from there (just like you can fly to Belfast to dodge the Irish rules). You don’t need to drive 1.500km. The point is that they are applying some judgement and saying to their citizens: you can visit the Canaries and the Balearics but not Catalunya.
    You must think the Dutch are super smart but I don’t find that message confusing at all. Before you buy your Ryanair flight you check the foreign ministry website and see where you can and where you can’t travel. Seems pretty clear to me...

His problem is he drove 70kph on the 7th, 8th etc. So he gets ‘prosecuted’ as you put it for those.

And do you think that the Minister for Social Protection is the only one allowed answer the OPs query? Or do you just like to automatically go on the offensive?

You stated that he won't get paid. You do not know this.

He was already abroad when the rule came into being. The rule stated that you were not to go, he didn't go... he was already gone.

I'm not on the offensive, I simply called you out on making a definitive statement when you cannot know the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Algarve tourism boss: "Ireland is one of the region’s “seven principal external markets”. With 35% of air links between Ireland and Algarve currently running, Fernandes says he is confident people will still come over."
    Source: https://www.portugalresident.com/irish-will-keep-coming-to-algarve-despite-quarantine-decision/

In your opinion. BTW are you stalking me to see what analogies I use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

otnomart wrote: »
    Algarve tourism boss: "Ireland is one of the region’s “seven principal external markets”. With 35% of air links between Ireland and Algarve currently running, Fernandes says he is confident people will still come over."
    Source: https://www.portugalresident.com/irish-will-keep-coming-to-algarve-despite-quarantine-decision/

Heading with family in September. 8 of us in total. We put it off in June.

Not a hope will we be cancelling this time unless there are no Aer Lingus flights to Faro. The south Dublin boys brigade can get stuffed with their sh*tehawk rules

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement