Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Well I saw something on the government websites or department of travel and I think health and safety people that you have to do that so really people shouldnt be ignoring what the experts are saying and just thinking they do their own thing because it's suits them and they don't care about others and the elderly and sick and so on.

I've seen things on some websites I wouldn't share tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

Well good luck there then lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Friend flew to Iceland yesterday. Whole family were fully tested at the airport, have to isolate until they get the test results. Test results will be sent to the app they had to download, I think within 12-24 hours.

Yet Iceland aren't on our 'green list'....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

bladespin wrote: »
    I've seen things on some websites I wouldn't share tbh.

...attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

For anyone booking Hotels within Ireland and abroad.

Make sure you call them before you pay to find out if All Amenities advertised are available when you arrive.

It seems booking.com and Hotel Websites are not updated with what restrictions are in place.

People may get a shock about what they think they are paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭normanoffside

the corpo wrote: »
    Friend flew to Iceland yesterday. Whole family were fully tested at the airport, have to isolate until they get the test results. Test results will be sent to the app they had to download, I think within 12-24 hours.

Yep their only reported cases at the moment are being found at the airport and quarantined, but because their population is so small they are being punished for their good practises.
    Pretty ridiculous that they are not on the green list.

I am sure if we were testing everyone arriving at the airport our incidence rate would be a lot higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Any chance of some use of punctuation there ? Wasn’t sure if that was a random jumbling of words, or one massive sentence.

Golf is my game, illiterate is my middle name.

So called “experts” you refer to are all contradicting each other within our one small island and government.

You sound like a young child who has been randomly handed the microphone on the news in the middle of graft on street to look cute and give their input.
    “Oh you saw something on a website did you! Tell all the people what you saw, good boy”

This is ridiculously harsh for a guy who just gave his opinion. Can he not have one or is he too childish for you to deserve an opinion?

It's Grafton street by the way. Unless you were referring to a child being administered a skin graft procedure on the street. In which case he must be a tough kid to be so coherent under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Experts are Dublin based mostly with an urban view of the country. Virus is very low apart from Dublin, Meath and Kildare. Listening to RTE radio earlier, Reporter in Dingle interviewed locals complaining of crowds in streets and large queues at boats. Also complaining about mask wearing outdoors, which is silly.A lady holiday in gin the west from Dublin said locals are hostile. It’s clear this country is unable to handle crowds in small towns, rural roads and beaches. When you add the fear and hostility of the natives, high prices, closed bars and the deteriorating weather, staycation is not attractive. Next weekend will really bring the crowds for the August holiday weeks. I expect to watch and listen to more disgruntled natives.

Well I saw something on the government websites or department of travel and I think health and safety people that you have to do that so really people shouldnt be ignoring what the experts are saying and just thinking they do their own thing because it's suits them and they don't care about others and the elderly and sick and so on.

What part of 'not required' do you not get? Seriously. You do not "have to do that". Its been pointed out by numerous people. You 'should' is the medical advise.

It's not legal advice, it's not health and safety advise, it's medical.

Only a child couldn't grasp this.
    d15ude wrote: »
    No you don't, it's only an advice/guidance.

Here, don't be muscling in, that's my job!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

This is ridiculously harsh for a guy who just gave his opinion. Can he not have one or is he too childish for you to deserve an opinion?

It's Grafton street by the way. Unless you were referring to a child being administered a skin graft procedure on the street. In which case he must be a tough kid to be so coherent under the circumstances.

A guy who continues to spout the same crap over and over, as pointed out by many others on here, despite being shown the reasoning every time. Harsh, but needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Parents in Switzerland at the moment and having a lovely time in Zurich. Sending photos and videos as we speak. No masks to be seen and nice low numbers of crowds.
    I'm flying there next month. I was surprised Switzerland wasn't on the green list as their R number seems to be hovering around 1 for a good while and they have had masks mandatory on public transport from the begining of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

The Acting Sec Gen at Dept Transport told the Dail committee today that if you come from Monaco via france, then France is the country you are arriving from and hence quarantine. Didn't Leo say a few days ago that a transit airport isn't counted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 npdennehy

Enjoy your holiday, but try and fly back via a "green list" country or NI or you'll end up on the Stasi list.

I flew back via Belfast recently and it was a breeze.

Any form of checks taking place between NI and ROI... If one was to get the train back down south after arriving by plane into Belfast... any form of data collection going on with trains?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

npdennehy wrote: »
    Any form of checks taking place between NI and ROI... If one was to get the train back down south after arriving by plane into Belfast... any form of data collection going on with trains?

Zero checks. It's a beautiful way to side step the Stasi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm going to Greece in three weeks time and exploring various travel sites to figure out what to do, on TripAdvisor I note a lot of reviews on sites and restaurants in Crete left in the last few weeks from people who have put Ireland as their nationality.

Regardless of the green list or otherwise, it's clear people have had no hesitation in travelling, especially with Greece having very low levels of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,695 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

the corpo wrote: »

All of the restrictions you just described in Reykjavik are almost certainly the reason they didn't make our green list.

The point of the green list is uninhibited travel in both directions for both Irish citizens and citizens of the 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I really wonder who would be bothered travelling anywhere abroad now, Green List or not.

Look I do appreciate that many absolutely need a break from this desperate weather and so on, but come on, the hassle involved is surely not worth it. I am not a shill for Gov policy BTW! Just wondered, but I suppose everyone is different.

We travel about three or four times a year and are very grateful to have been able to do that, don't get me wrong. But couldn't be arased this year. We are going to Leitrim Lakeland, Sligo and Mayo in September. Haven't figured out accommodation yet, but have the raingear ready anyway.

I really wonder who would be bothered travelling anywhere abroad now, Green List or not.

Look I do appreciate that many absolutely need a break from this desperate weather and so on, but come on, the hassle involved is surely not worth it. I am not a shill for Gov policy BTW! Just wondered, but I suppose everyone is different.

We travel about three or four times a year and are very grateful to have been able to do that, don't get me wrong. But couldn't be arased this year. We are going to Leitrim Lakeland, Sligo and Mayo in September. Haven't figured out accommodation yet, but have the raingear ready anyway.

The only real hassle is having to wear a mask while boarding the plane. When on the plane, I simply removed it and kept a bottle of water nearby, so when a trolley dolly said anything, I simply pointed to the bottle and that worked a treat.

Other than that, the airports are beautifully quiet and far less stressful than normal.

It really depends on your destination, but I highly recommend travelling if you want to. It's a unique experience at the moment and, when there is a green light for travel, the herd will make it totally unbearable.

Something to consider.

Because it's paid for with no chance of money back. A lot of money down the drain otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The only real hassle is having to wear a mask while boarding the plane. When on the plane, I simply removed it and kept a bottle of water nearby, so when a trolley dolly said anything, I simply pointed to the bottle and that worked a treat

Great idea in fairness. Will definitely do that too.

• Advertisement

The only real hassle is having to wear a mask while boarding the plane. When on the plane, I simply removed it and kept a bottle of water nearby, so when a trolley dolly said anything, I simply pointed to the bottle and that worked a treat..

Why? Masks in the enclosed space is for all our safety. Why do u want to cod the system? It's like people wearing masks under their chin or making excuses. I'd be concerned if I was across the aisle from you to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The only real hassle is having to wear a mask while boarding the plane. When on the plane, I simply removed it and kept a bottle of water nearby, so when a trolley dolly said anything, I simply pointed to the bottle and that worked a treat.

Other than that, the airports are beautifully quiet and far less stressful than normal.

It really depends on your destination, but I highly recommend travelling if you want to. It's a unique experience at the moment and, when there is a green light for travel, the herd will make it totally unbearable.

Something to consider.

Some good points there. But I am NOT impressed with your revolutionary tactics regarding the mask, tut tut!

Anyway have written off this year for foreign travel. Decision made and done and dusted.

I would consider travelling next year off season though, maybe Feb/March, but that depends on how things go over the Winter. All the best now.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Why? Masks in the enclosed space is for all our safety. Why do u want to cod the system? It's like people wearing masks under their chin or making excuses. I'd be concerned if I was across the aisle from you to be honest.

If you're so concerned, then why on earth would you travel at all? Bizarre logic to risk your health for a few quid.

I think it's a gigantic con, so I'm grand. :o

TheDriver wrote: »
    The Acting Sec Gen at Dept Transport told the Dail committee today that if you come from Monaco via france, then France is the country you are arriving from and hence quarantine. Didn't Leo say a few days ago that a transit airport isn't counted?

Monaco uses French airports mostly so they would be traveling into France by road and then flying here.

Great idea in fairness. Will definitely do that too.

Please don't. Just wear the mask unless you are actually drinking and everyone will get along.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Greetings from Spain! I’ve been living here for a few months now and will continue to do so until my work moves from being virtual to in person.

I’m on a Costa but not on any of those strips or anything like that.

Travel is a pain in the hoop during good times let alone bad times. Travelling out here though was easier than travelling out here during normal busy years!

The thoughts of holidaying in Ireland depresses me. (And my bank account). But YMMV

This is probably one of my favourite summers here in this part of Spain. It’s quieter than usual and there’s a greater sense of community post lockdown.

(I’ve also just lorried in to a €3 bottle of wine after having some Galicia beef on the barbecue!)

If you're so concerned, then why on earth would you travel at all? Bizarre logic to risk your health for a few quid.

I think it's a gigantic con, so I'm grand. :o

We feel safe traveling because people are being sensible and wearing the masks on the plane. The entire thread is people making that statement.

The fact that people feel the need to constantly jerk around the system for no apparent reason is why systems get tighter.

Just wear the damn mask as a courtesy to me when I'm sitting beside you. Please.

Please don't. Just wear the mask unless you are actually drinking and everyone will get along.

Because when you're drinking, Covid-19 pauses play and you can no longer transmit the virus.

It's the rules.

We feel safe traveling because people are being sensible and wearing the masks on the plane. The entire thread is people making that statement.

The fact that people feel the need to constantly jerk around the system for no apparent reason is why systems get tighter.

Just wear the damn mask as a courtesy to me when I'm sitting beside you. Please.

It's not about breaking the system; I can't breathe properly with a mask on.

To not be able to breathe properly for 3 hours would cause significant damage to my health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Because when you're drinking, Covid-19 pauses play and you can no longer transmit the virus.

It's the rules.

Well, when something is going in, not much is coming out (hopefully), agree on keeping the mask, all we need is some clown with a smartphone or an outbreak to feck it all up.

Edit: if it’s for genuine health reasons then no hassle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement