Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm going to Greece in three weeks time and exploring various travel sites to figure out what to do, on TripAdvisor I note a lot of reviews on sites and restaurants in Crete left in the last few weeks from people who have put Ireland as their nationality.

Regardless of the green list or otherwise, it's clear people have had no hesitation in travelling, especially with Greece having very low levels of the virus.

Ryanair have launched flights to Santorini.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ryanair have launched flights to Santorini.

Seeing ads for Santorini on FB all day, looks amazing, pity the Ryanair flights start so late in the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

faceman wrote: »
    Greetings from Spain! I’ve been living here for a few months now and will continue to do so until my work moves from being virtual to in person.

I’m on a Costa but not on any of those strips or anything like that.

Travel is a pain in the hoop during good times let alone bad times. Travelling out here though was easier than travelling out here during normal busy years!

The thoughts of holidaying in Ireland depresses me. (And my bank account). But YMMV

This is probably one of my favourite summers here in this part of Spain. It’s quieter than usual and there’s a greater sense of community post lockdown.

(I’ve also just lorried in to a €3 bottle of wine after having some Galicia beef on the barbecue!)

I know, and am so jell! But decision is made.

We usually go to Casares in the hills above Estepona. Fab spot. And at another time to Quillan in the foothills of Pyrenees, flight to Carcassonne.

And well, you know yourself, it's great, no mad drinking or Costa shyte and all that jazz, suits us. Glad things are working out for you in Espana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

bladespin wrote: »
    Seeing ads for Santorini on FB all day, looks amazing, pity the Ryanair flights start so late in the month.

One to think of for Summer '21.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

bladespin wrote: »

Santorini is one of those places that actually looks like the post cards you see - stunning spot, if you can go...do it.

• Advertisement

I'm flying there next month. I was surprised Switzerland wasn't on the green list as their R number seems to be hovering around 1 for a good while and they have had masks mandatory on public transport from the begining of June.

I was in Geneva for a few days 3 weeks ago. Switzerland is in great shape and things feel very much normal. Not many people sit inside of bars in the summer heat in Switzerland anyway, and there is loads of outside space. I’m surprised it wasn’t on the green list either. Have fun!

The only real hassle is having to wear a mask while boarding the plane. When on the plane, I simply removed it and kept a bottle of water nearby, so when a trolley dolly said anything, I simply pointed to the bottle and that worked a treat.

I travel, and support those going away to relatively safe places for their paid for holidays. Been in Geneva, going to Rome soon. Loving the quiet airport and the lack of tourists. Am no lockdown merchant and think that we are being too cautious and need to get to grips quicker with living with this

But even I think that that is a dick move

Because when you're drinking, Covid-19 pauses play and you can no longer transmit the virus.

It's the rules.

Correct. If liquid is going IN, it can't be coming out. People stop breathing while drinking too.
    It's not about breaking the system; I can't breathe properly with a mask on.

To not be able to breathe properly for 3 hours would cause significant damage to my health.

I'm going to be honest here, I don't believe you based on your previous comment. No one likes wearing them but there's plenty of options out there. Find one that works.

I need to travel for work and family, be sensible and give a little compromise please. Also don't call them trolley Dolly's because it's just another indicator of an arrogant jerk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

I travel, and support those going away to relatively safe places for their paid for holidays. Been in Geneva, going to Rome soon. Loving the quiet airport and the lack of tourists. Am no lockdown merchant and think that we are being too cautious and need to get to grips quicker with living with this

But even I think that that is a dick move

This thread is so revealing.

I assumed everyone travelling abroad was aware it was a con.

If you travel abroad and think the virus is real, you are insane!

The mask wont protect you on the plane because it's recycled air and you are constantly within 2 meters of possible transmitters for multiple hours.

The bottom line is this: if you think this thing is real, you couldn't possible travel abroad, because at some stage you will certainly be in a position where getting Corona is basically inevitable based on the "experts".

I assumed all people travelling abroad thought, like me, that's it's a swindle.

This thread is so revealing.

I assumed everyone travelling abroad was aware it was a con.

If you travel abroad and think the virus is real, you are insane!

The mask wont protect you on the plane because it's recycled air and you are constantly within 2 meters of possible transmitters for multiple hours.

The bottom line is this: if you think this thing is real, you couldn't possible travel abroad, because at some stage you will certainly be in a position where getting Corona is basically inevitable based on the "experts".

I assumed all people travelling abroad thought, like me, that's it's a swindle.

It’s not about that. I agree with you on the risk side of things. But it’s not about me. In fact masks are not about the wearer at all. It’s about the fact that some people have to travel and don’t feel comfortable doing so. And if the really very minor inconvenience of wearing a mask helps your fellow fliers to feel more comfortable it’s just the right (ie non-dick) thing to do

I don’t believe for a second that anyone going on holiday has some health condition that is not fabricated that means that they can’t wear a mask for a few hours ffs.

It’s like pro-cycling.....suddenly everyone had asthma or some other breathing problem.

Like I said, it’s just a dick move. And anyone I see not wearing a mask on a plane or in a shop, I think is a dick and should stop being a baby

• Advertisement

It’s not about that. I agree with you on the risk side of things. But it’s not about me. In fact masks are not about the wearer at all. It’s about the fact that some people have to travel and don’t feel comfortable doing so. And if the really very minor inconvenience of wearing a mask helps your fellow fliers to feel more comfortable it’s just the right (ie non-dick) thing to do

I don’t believe for a second that anyone going on holiday has some health condition that is not fabricated that means that they can’t wear a mask for a few hours ffs.

It’s like pro-cycling.....suddenly everyone had asthma or some other breathing problem.

Like I said, it’s just a dick move. And anyone I see not wearing a mask on a plane or in a shop, I think is a dick and should stop being a baby

I want to breathe freely, so I'll be the biggest dick you could ever imagine.

If you're so concerned, you shouldn't be travelling in the first place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Breath freely and you can't do that with a mask?

Grow the **** up.

Anyone else curious as to how Greenland ended up on the green list? I'm thinking it was just having 'green' in the name that got it over the line.I was looking at flights today and I can't find any way to get there that doesn't involve staying in Denmark or Iceland for at least a night or possibly hopping to another green list country first for a day before heading to Denmark or Iceland.

It would be a costly trip even on a good day. At least 800 quid on flights before getting to the door of an outrageously expensive hostel but I've been wanting to go there for a while now. Had been thinking of going to Ittoqqortoormiit long before there was any coronavirus but that isn't really an option if one has to go to Akureyri in Iceland first.

Spent a week there two years ago. Incredible place - definitely worth visiting. Made Iceland look like Meath.

Breath freely and you can't do that with a mask?

Grow the **** up.

No way can I breath freely with a barrier to my breath.

If you're so worried: stay at home, save lives, and protect the HSE.

If you're so concerned, you shouldn't be travelling in the first place.

Like I said, I’m not concerned about my own health. I’m just not a baby

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭scrips

I thought I read recently that Ryanair were cancelling most of their upcoming flights out of the west of Ireland. However a quick look at flights into and out of Shannon Airport shows that seven Ryanair flights departed today, none of which were to Green Listed countries. Is this likely to continue into August? Just wondering what are the chances of my flight being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

TheDriver wrote: »
    Why? Masks in the enclosed space is for all our safety. Why do u want to cod the system? It's like people wearing masks under their chin or making excuses. I'd be concerned if I was across the aisle from you to be honest.

Some peoples posts have made me realise why there are signs required reminding people not to jump into animal enlosures at the zoo or that peanuts contain nuts. Really not the brightest bunch.

Naturally teashock has now started branding covid a con apparently so yep. Another conspiracist edge lord.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Recycled air! :D

And when that plane hits an air pocket there’s no air there and the plane falls! :D

Recycled air! :D

And when that plane hits an air pocket there’s no air there and the plane falls! :D

"Most modern aircraft have re-circulation systems, which recycle up to 50% of cabin air. "
    https://www.visitsingapore.org/global-travel-news/does-airplane-air-spread-corona-virus/

Enjoy your flight. :o

No way can I breath freely with a barrier to my breath.

If you're so worried: stay at home, save lives, and protect the HSE.

Some have to travel. There's plenty of ESSENTIAL travel still happening.

You are coming across like a complete jerk by the way. You have lied and made insulting comments and when Asked to have a little empathy, your reply is "I'll do what suits me so **** you"

You then even throw in a conspiracy theory. One with zero sense.

Not the actions of a nice or sane person.

• Advertisement

Some have to travel. There's plenty of ESSENTIAL travel still happening.

You are coming across like a complete jerk by the way. You have lied and made insulting comments and when Asked to have a little empathy, your reply is "I'll do what suits me so **** you"

You then even throw in a conspiracy theory. One with zero sense.

Not the actions of a nice or sane person.

That's not the case at all. I just refuse to restrict my breathing and harm my health.

I will never place other people's health above my own. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Huge amount of bullsh;ttery around the masks.

GAA clubs training without masks and joggers pounding the pavements panting away not a bother.

But sure sitting on a plane for 90 minutes and you're suddenly required to wear a piece of cotton over your mouth and nose?

I like the bottle of water workaround.

Huge amount of bullsh;ttery around the masks.

GAA clubs training without masks and joggers pounding the pavements panting away not a bother.

But sure sitting on a plane for 90 minutes and you're suddenly required to wear a piece of cotton over your mouth and nose?

I like the bottle of water workaround.

You're even allowed to use your old knickers to make a mask and that magically protects you from the virus.

It would be hilarious if it weren't so damagingly tragic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

"Most modern aircraft have re-circulation systems, which recycle up to 50% of cabin air. "
    https://www.visitsingapore.org/global-travel-news/does-airplane-air-spread-corona-virus/

The air filtration on planes is to the same standard as hospitals.

Now the air filtration in bars is another matter

The air filtration on planes is to the same standard as hospitals.

Now the air filtration in bars is another matter

Accept your defeat like a man.

Anyone who is even remotely afraid of Covid-19 should not travel at all -- that is a basic fact.

How could you enjoy a holiday if contracting a virus is always on your mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Because when you're drinking, Covid-19 pauses play and you can no longer transmit the virus.

It's the rules.

I know, It's like when people think that suddenly traffic accidents pause when they take off their seat belts to reverse. It's ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Have that feeling dear auld teashock is also anti-vax with his rambling posting here.

We need some way to eliminate the dangerous idiots from society.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Can I chose which 50%?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/24/europe-warns-of-need-for-vigilance-as-covid-19-cases-rise-sharply

Spain, France and Germany weighing up new lockdown measures.

In Spain, surprise surprise nightclubs and bars are helping them to treble the spread per 100,000 people. One town going back into a prior phase of lockdown after 55 cases traced to one bar. Norway re-imposing quarantine on people returning from Spain.

Also, regional governments in Spain seeking restrictions on flights because they’re tracing cases to arrivals. Back to the point that “but they have lower cases in Spain than here” - yeah, it’s the mixing of holiday goers that drives new cases.

All pretty predictable to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Nijmegen wrote: »
    ... Back to the point that “but they have lower cases in Spain than here” - yeah, it’s the mixing of holiday goers that drives new cases.

All pretty predictable to be honest.

Was that true at some stage? Or did people say there are less cases in certain regions of Spain?

tbh it sounds like bars & nightclubs are the problem. People are irresponsible and mix in large indoor gatherings, the same would probably happen here, if we reopened them all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement