Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Was that true at some stage? Or did people say there are less cases in certain regions of Spain?

tbh it sounds like bars & nightclubs are the problem. People are irresponsible and mix in large indoor gatherings, the same would probably happen here, if we reopened them all.

Upthread here there was a lot of that whataboutery, ignoring the fact that their lockdown was just lifting and the influx of tourists were gonna see people mixing who otherwise wouldn’t have, in settings we know from places ahead of us on covid spread the disease.

It’s known as “wilful blindness”

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Nijmegen wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/24/europe-warns-of-need-for-vigilance-as-covid-19-cases-rise-sharply

Spain, France and Germany weighing up new lockdown measures.

In Spain, surprise surprise nightclubs and bars are helping them to treble the spread per 100,000 people. One town going back into a prior phase of lockdown after 55 cases traced to one bar. Norway re-imposing quarantine on people returning from Spain.

Also, regional governments in Spain seeking restrictions on flights because they’re tracing cases to arrivals. Back to the point that “but they have lower cases in Spain than here” - yeah, it’s the mixing of holiday goers that drives new cases.

All pretty predictable to be honest.

There is no way out of lockdowns. Sweden told it from the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

Thinking of taking a short break in the next couple of months.

i'll be keeping an eye to see if there are any good value price-reductions as a result of the panic-merchants canceling trips.

My plan as well. Get away after schools open as this country is so cautious it’s unbelievable. Slowest country with travel policy, one of only countries with children missing 5 school months. There should be value with only a percentage of travel. It’s not where you are , it’s your behaviour that counts. Other countries enforce things, get on with life. We question everything and stay in the bunker. It’s ones own choice. This shaming is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Dave0301

fawlty682 wrote: »
    My plan as well. Get away after schools open as this country is so cautious it’s unbelievable. Slowest country with travel policy, one of only countries with children missing 5 school months. There should be value with only a percentage of travel. It’s not where you are , it’s your behaviour that counts. Other countries enforce things, get on with life. We question everything and stay in the bunker. It’s ones own choice. This shaming is wrong.

Five months of school missed? I must have missed that they closed in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

Has anyone any idea when this 14 day travel quarantine is expected to end? I’m supposed to be away in November, and getting concerned it’ll still be around then!

With the announcement of the staycation money back scheme going into first few months of next year, I’ve a horrible feeling that this 14 day travel quarantine could be around for a long time.

I hope I’m wrong. Once it’s lifted, I’m heading off to England on a booze up to meet my mates who live there (but can’t afford to take 2 weeks off work if I’ve to quarantine on return)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Has anyone any idea when this 14 day travel quarantine is expected to end? I’m supposed to be away in November, and getting concerned it’ll still be around then!

With the announcement of the staycation money back scheme going into first few months of next year, I’ve a horrible feeling that this 14 day travel quarantine could be around for a long time.

I hope I’m wrong. Once it’s lifted, I’m heading off to England on a booze up to meet my mates who live there (but can’t afford to take 2 weeks off work if I’ve to quarantine on return)

Never started - no requirement to quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It would be pretty hilarious if some of the lads here left Ireland only to arrive in a part of Spain actually under a more severe lockdown and still no pubs :pac:

Never started - no requirement to quarantine.

Not legally but it still advice- most work places Are making you take 2 weeks leave (or unpaid leave) while that advise is still out there. I’m stuck til then 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

pjohnson wrote: »
    It would be pretty hilarious if some of the lads here left Ireland only to arrive in a part of Spain actually under a more severe lockdown and still no pubs :pac:

I wouldn’t recommend travelling if pubs etc are the plan, whatever is open will be restricted and it’ll also be the first thing that shuts if the worst did happen. Go for the escape, the weather etc would be my advice (for what it’s worth), can’t beat a drink by the pool in the sun.

Huge amount of bullsh;ttery around the masks.

GAA clubs training without masks and joggers pounding the pavements panting away not a bother.

But sure sitting on a plane for 90 minutes and you're suddenly required to wear a piece of cotton over your mouth and nose?

I like the bottle of water workaround.

You don't see the difference between people breathing outside and physically away from each other and people sitting physically touching each other indoors for hours?
    That's not the case at all. I just refuse to restrict my breathing and harm my health.

I will never place other people's health above my own. Ever.

But that's a lie. Your putting their health and yours at risk for comfort and to 'fight the man'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Spanish creche worker didn't self isolate after trip home to Spain (to see family) https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/childcare-worker-who-tested-positive-18638643 idiot! but good fellow Spainish creche worker dobbed her in...

Spanish creche worker didn't self isolate after trip home to Spain (to see family) https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/childcare-worker-who-tested-positive-18638643 idiot! but good fellow Spainish creche worker dobbed her in...

I would take it more seriously if we knew where she had been and for how long.

Could have had it before traveling, could have gotten it after coming back, could have been in a low covid area. Might have spent a weekend in cantabria only.

Of course the direct opposite could also be true. Could have spent a month in Barcelona and straight home meaning that she almost certainly caught it there and traveled with it.

I would take it more seriously if we knew where she had been and for how long.

Could have had it before traveling, could have gotten it after coming back, could have been in a low covid area. Might have spent a weekend in cantabria only.

Of course the direct opposite could also be true. Could have spent a month in Barcelona and straight home meaning that she almost certainly caught it there and traveled with it.

it wouldn't matter how long she had been in another country and where in it, she would still have to stay out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The only real hassle is having to wear a mask while boarding the plane. When on the plane, I simply removed it and kept a bottle of water nearby, so when a trolley dolly said anything, I simply pointed to the bottle and that worked a treat.

Other than that, the airports are beautifully quiet and far less stressful than normal.

It really depends on your destination, but I highly recommend travelling if you want to. It's a unique experience at the moment and, when there is a green light for travel, the herd will make it totally unbearable.

Something to consider.

You’re really not the brightest, are you?

it wouldn't matter how long she had been in another country and where in it, she would still have to stay out of work.

And that's 16 times now. Release the balloons. Light the fireworks

ISOLATING IS NOT A LEGAL REQUIREMENT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Not legally but it still advice- most work places Are making you take 2 weeks leave (or unpaid leave) while that advise is still out there. I’m stuck til then.

Someone who thinks it’s a good idea to go to England on a booze up is worried about some travel advice? All the while oblivious to the health advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Look in fairness it's not a legal requirement, but to be honest with you unless coming from a country with an equal or lower IR than here morally they should.

Someone who thinks it’s a good idea to go to England on a booze up is worried about some travel advice? All the while oblivious to the health advice.

I’m not in any way concerned about the travel advice. I think it’s OTT tbh. How long are we expected to put our lives on hold as I see this lasting for a long time.

However, my employer is concerned about the travel advice. And if I’ve to take 2 weeks off work on my return, I won’t be going anywhere unfortunately

IT WOULD BE THE RIGHT THING TO DO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Have that feeling dear auld teashock is also anti-vax with his rambling posting here.

We need some way to eliminate the dangerous idiots from society.

Do you mean some kind of "final solution"?:D

• Advertisement

IT WOULD BE THE RIGHT THING TO DO

Look in fairness it's not a legal requirement, but to be honest with you unless coming from a country with an equal or lower IR than here morally they should.

And yet staff in the airport and in the planes who are traveling daily and interacting with hundreds of passengers, are exempt isolating. As to are hauliers and ferry staff.

Odd...

And yet staff in the airport and in the planes who are traveling daily and interacting with hundreds of passengers, are exempt isolating. As to are hauliers and ferry staff.

Odd...
    their employers know about it, the creche management didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I’m not in any way concerned about the travel advice. I think it’s OTT tbh. How long are we expected to put our lives on hold as I see this lasting for a long time.

However, my employer is concerned about the travel advice. And if I’ve to take 2 weeks off work on my return, I won’t be going anywhere unfortunately

Just don’t tell them? Or say you are going to Dingle on your booze up.
    Also, November is ages away. Nobody knows what it’ll be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

On the way over to Portugal today going home there was 8 people on the plane. It was the Kerry to Faro flight, I don't know how much longer they can keep that flight running if they don't change things. Was a good few dubs at the airport in faro, majority teens/early twenties, they weren't great at the old mask wearing, seems to be the way with that age group.

Just don’t tell them? Or say you are going to Dingle on your booze up.
    Also, November is ages away. Nobody knows what it’ll be like.

Unfortunately, where I work, not telling the employer and them not finding out is not an option!

November is a bit away but I’m concerned that this 14 day travel quarantine advice could go on for some time

On the way over to Portugal today going home there was 8 people on the plane. It was the Kerry to Faro flight, I don't know how much longer they can keep that flight running if they don't change things. Was a good few dubs at the airport, majority teens/early twenties, they weren't great at the old mask wearing, seems to be the way with that age group.

Up the Dubs! Great bunch of lads.:o

Up the Dubs! Great bunch of lads.:o

Another non suprise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

This circular argument of picking instances where people are exempt from quarantine or wearing a mask etc is tiresome. It is false to say that a known preventative behavior should not be adhered to because someone else didn't adhere to it. It's not a competition to see how much we can get away with, we are choosing to have the right behavior because we want to. If others don't, so be it, it doesn't make my decision making wrong. It's like global politics, "well x doesn't care about human rights so I don't see why I have to?".....eh because you want to because you do care?

Another non suprise :pac:

You called for people who don't take vaccines to be executed.

Shut your mouth.

• Advertisement

You called for people who don't take vaccines to be executed.

Shut your mouth.

Never said that but again not that suprising theres reading issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement