Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Spain isn’t on our Green List so there’s nothing to follow suit on.

Exactly, there's nothing to 'copy'

Ireland has had to quarantine while travelling back from Spain since flights resumed on 1st july.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Is it ok to not isolate after going to a country that's not on the green list once you wear an immunity mask?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

GazzaL wrote: »
    Is it ok to not isolate after going to a country that's not on the green list once you wear an immunity mask?

No. If you go to one you have to self isolate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

GazzaL wrote: »

No but if a country is not on the green list the advice is that people should not be travelling there anyway unless for essential reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Ireland has had to quarantine while travelling back from Spain since flights resumed on 1st july.

Good point. Sorry so best thing is to just not say you went to Spain if you don’t want to be out of pocket.

Malaga can become Gibraltar and no one would be the wiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Feria40 wrote: »
    Might be a typo but I think you mean the outbreaks are confined away from the holiday spots (excluding Barcelona).

But you are otherwise correct, the Spanish do tend to flock from City to coast during August especially. Will be interesting to see how they fare over the next few weeks.

Not totally unlike our own situation, the spike in cases seems to be driven by younger folk. The difference in Spain being that pubs and clubs had reopened, might be a rethink on that front.

They seem to be belatedly getting tough again and I have heard of crackdowns around Barcelona. Hopefully things gradually improve once the current burst has passed... Hopefully

Correct. However the August influx has yet to come from the natives, and from areas that have high infection rates too.

I honestly don't think there will be many visitors from other places in Europe this year. Some for sure, but nothing like any other year.

Might not be a bad thing. Spain needs to diversify and try not to rely on sun, sand and sangria now. Their economy needs to rely on things other than tourism.

They did try with the upgrades on the Camino de Santiago, different experience, and the Caminito del Rey etc.

I love Spain but it ain't looking enticing at the moment like most other places. It's a bit of a roller coaster all over TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Wow. Masks on the beach also? That is crazy. How they getting so many cases now if you r to force to wear masks everywhere?

sorry, its only if your walking/standing on the soreline where most people are walking, otherwise no masks on beach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

This is a lie, you don't have to and there is no law to make you do so.

Why are people deliberately lying to others?:confused:

Anyway, travelling is fkd for most now. The brave without conscience for their loved ones or colleagues on return will just go anyway.

The brave who hate the Government won't care.

I think the decision was the UKs to make here. I doubt Spain is jumping with joy at this, but safety first.

Pity that Spain has relied so heavily on the tourism sector for economic activity.

Policy at Gov level should learn lessons from this and diversify a good bit where possible. I know and love Spain don't get me wrong, but wild horses wouldn't drag me there at the moment. Situation is a bit volatile and places are dead, judging by the social media of friends who live there now.

Well like I said, the lists will be like that. Countries reopening will see spikes and that will be addressed by other nations.

most of the country has very few tourists. Only really along the med coast is tourist heavy. Not really surprising. Most med coast areas would be similar in France, Italy, Croatia.

They actually have far bigger industrial sectors than tourism once you drift inwards / north. Also fishing and farming would be big in certain areas. The majority of the country isn't benidorm.

• Advertisement

17th time.

No one had to quarantine. It's not mandatory. Stop lying and maybe read the effing thread!

it means the creche worker wouldn't have been allowed into work.

That makes no sense.

Follow the conversion please. Why is it ok for all the airport staff to travel and not isolate but not this person?

Your answer was, their boss knows.

So again I ask, how does that make them less likely to spread the disease?

How does knowing that the staff traveled make them apparently unable to transmit it?

Well like I said, the lists will be like that. Countries reopening will see spikes and that will be addressed by other nations.

most of the country has very few tourists. Only really along the med coast is tourist heavy. Not really surprising. Most med coast areas would be similar in France, Italy, Croatia.

They actually have far bigger industrial sectors than tourism once you drift inwards / north. Also fishing and farming would be big in certain areas. The majority of the country isn't benidorm.

So if the tourism sector for foreign visitors disappears what will happen, well it's already happening now, and certain high level Spafias (Mafia from Spain) are not happy at all.

Yes I do know that there are other sectors in Spain, but the youth unemployment rate is off the scale now, and I often wonder why that is.

Most of the younger Spanish have gone to Dublin, London and elsewhere now. Who could blame them. The office culture in Spain if you are fortunate enough to procure employment there is full of a slightly older Spanish bully of a boss. So says my friend from Madrid. She is in Dublin now and is loving the work protections we have for better or worse.

Am just saying that Spain is not the angel of the Southern Med Region. Things will have to change there pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

votecounts wrote: »
    Northern Ireland will introduce a 14 day quarantine on Sunday for all passengers coming from Spain due to a rise in covid numbers in Spain. won't be on the greenlist here anytime soon

Is Spain off ROI green list or was it ever on?

With Spain cases rising again, will anyone still go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

That makes no sense.

Follow the conversion please. Why is it ok for all the airport staff to travel and not isolate but not this person?

Your answer was, their boss knows.

So again I ask, how does that make them less likely to spread the disease?

How does knowing that the staff traveled make them apparently unable to transmit it?

It makes them less likely as the “airport staff”, I assume you mean flight/cabin crew etc don’t leave the aircraft where everyone wears masks. The passengers can do what they want while in Spain so are higher risk. Seems pretty simple to me

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    It makes them less likely as the “airport staff”, I assume you mean flight/cabin crew etc don’t leave the aircraft where everyone wears masks. The passengers can do what they want while in Spain so are higher risk. Seems pretty simple to me

Do what they like? Like what? Go around licking people?

In Spain you wear masks in public. Same as on a plane.

And no, it's not just the aircraft staff.

So if the tourism sector for foreign visitors disappears what will happen, well it's already happening now, and certain high level Spafias (Mafia from Spain) are not happy at all.

Yes I do know that there are other sectors in Spain, but the youth unemployment rate is off the scale now, and I often wonder why that is.

Most of the younger Spanish have gone to Dublin, London and elsewhere now. Who could blame them. The office culture in Spain if you are fortunate enough to procure employment there is full of a slightly older Spanish bully of a boss. So says my friend from Madrid. She is in Dublin now and is loving the work protections we have for better or worse.

Am just saying that Spain is not the angel of the Southern Med Region. Things will have to change there pretty soon.

Never heard 'spafia' before.

Tourism vanishing will hurt them naturally, it would hurt Ireland too. Are we too dependent on tourism? Very few countries don't have a tourism industry so most places would hurt if an area just suddenly stopped.

Plenty of Spanish aren't jumping on planes to other places because they can't find work. They do for the same reason as Irish. Experience new things, travel, explore. Education and of course, higher salaries. There's plenty of English speakers going to Spain as well.

Spanish going to English speaking countries isn't new. The have been doing it for years. Having English is a great advantage in a whole range of industries.

As for work place protection. I know sexism is still a problem from what I have heard and seen. Ireland appears ahead in that game but your incorrect in believing we have lots of protections. Ireland ranks poorly in that regard.

No but if a country is not on the green list the advice is that people should not be travelling there anyway unless for essential reasons.

That applies for green list countries also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It was never on it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Augeo wrote: »
    That applies for green list countries also

That’s untrue. Green list countries are exempt from the essential travel advice

https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/italy/

General advice to avoid non-essential travel and ‘Normal Precautions’ list of exemptions:

In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. However, as of 21 July, travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice.The security status for those locations to which non-essential travel can resume has been changed to ‘normal precautions’ (“green”) rating . Individuals arriving in Ireland from these locations will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival. These locations are:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

was never on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

I'm gonna appear like a pr*** to some for this but the post above makes really makes me despair. Are people living under rocks?

I see similar on my Facebook feed all morning along the lines of "OMG people travelling from Spain to the UK need to quarantine for 14 days!! What's the Irish government going to do???"

Or "ban all flights to/from Spain now!"

Well jeez I mean for sure ban Spanish flights and leave the US flights be.

I mean WTF like. How is it some huge revelation that the UK has taken a country off their far larger green list which was never on the Irish list in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

I agree with a lot of what you say and you're right about working conditions being better in Ireland. Though they are quite bad in Spain and make ours look better by comparison but are they so good here? Is anything so good here where there is little people power,little worker power, despite some sectors being well unionised? Ireland is quite an autocratic and rule obsessed country as myself and many on this thread have been saying but that's a debate for another thread.

While you're completely right about youth unemployment in Spain I'm not so sure that many are emigrating. And conversely there's quite a lot of immigration in Spain. A lot from latin America and surprisingly loads of Italians. The Italian economy has been pretty broken for years now and young Italians have been emigrating in droves. But you don't hear so much about that.

So I don't think things are quite as bad economically or that Spain is as heavily dependent on tourism as you say.
    I'm gonna appear like a pr*** to some for this but the post above makes really makes me despair. Are people living under rocks?

I see similar on my Facebook feed all morning along the lines of "OMG people travelling from Spain to the UK need to quarantine for 14 days!! What's the Irish government going to do???"

I mean WTF like. How is it some huge revelation that the UK has taken a country off their far larger green list which was never on the Irish list in the first place.

It's a bit ironic that the Brits are taking such a step with Spain when Spain allowed them in. A bit like kettle calling the pot black. In Spain I'd be equally wary of a Brit as I would someone from Madrid or Barcelona.

But I hope there will be no knee jerk response here as we're already overcautious as it is imo. There are tiny passenger numbers flying to small airports like Kerry from Spain and Portugal, you'd have to fear for the future of the small airports.

As many have pointed out, huge parts of Spain including the islands are still very safe and not seeing the recent spikes. So I really hope they get things back under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

agree totally, the amount of people who thought Spain was on on the green list is ridicolous.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Bottom line is flights should not be allowed out or in to countries not on the green list. Unless you do that nothing will stop people being idiots.
    I appreciate that healthy people wonder why they should be held back but there are cases of perfectly healthy young people dying from this.
    You also don't know who you will pass this onto.
    Close the airports now.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Currently on the ferry from Wales over to Dublin, after a weekend break with family.... frustrating that my plans to join and go to the gym this week have been scuppered as I have to isolate...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

some people have lost their jobs, some people have/are on the verge of loosing their business and a lot of people have lost their loved ones because of this virus. Its a cert that will continue to happen, mark my words September/October will be the new March.

Government advises not to travel, people will still travel for holiday and keep up the pretense that they will isolate/self quarantine.... some might... but if they are chancing travelling against advice I cant see them adhering to taking 2 weeks off work and not stepping out the door.

These people should rightly be treated like Pariah's

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

Currently on the ferry from Wales over to Dublin, after a weekend break with family.... frustrating that my plans to join and go to the gym this week have been scuppered as I have to isolate...

is the ferry busy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

is the ferry busy ?

There are a good few on here but nowhere near full, masks are being worn while you move about.

• Advertisement

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Bottom line is flights should not be allowed out or in to countries not on the green list. Unless you do that nothing will stop people being idiots.
    I appreciate that healthy people wonder why they should be held back but there are cases of perfectly healthy young people dying from this.
    You also don't know who you will pass this onto.
    Close the airports now.

What about the essential travel and supplies that are needed?

If you closed the airport in March, we would have ran out of ppe for health staff nevermind the general public!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement