Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Government advises not to travel, people will still travel for holiday and keep up the pretense that they will isolate/self quarantine.... some might... but if they are chancing travelling against advice I cant see them adhering to taking 2 weeks off work and not stepping out the door.

These people should rightly be treated like Pariah's

Where does it advice to stay behind locked doors? Was that ever a thing, recommendation is to restrict movements for 2 weeks if you have travelled to a country off the green list, if you have been to a green list country (for whatever reason) then you carry on with the standard practices: distancing, cough etiquette, wash hands etc.

Why you would want to treat anyone like a pariah is beyond me.

Btw to his is going to be coming and going for a few years yet so might as well get used to that as the world cannot go on hold indefinitely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Bottom line is flights should not be allowed out or in to countries not on the green list. Unless you do that nothing will stop people being idiots.
    I appreciate that healthy people wonder why they should be held back but there are cases of perfectly healthy young people dying from this.
    You also don't know who you will pass this onto.
    Close the airports now.

Sigh. Load of nonsense. What you’re saying is not backed by evidence and only does more harm to a small open economy

Spain has been open to EU travellers since 21st June. We were all fearful of the British tourist invasion here.

Outbreaks in Spain aren’t as widespread as the media might have you think. None of the outbreaks are as a result of international tourism. This is similar in other countries.

House parties, nightclubs and large family gatherings are the cause

The second wave in Spain is less lethal than before. The death rate has not increased at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Bottom line is flights should not be allowed out or in to countries not on the green list. Unless you do that nothing will stop people being idiots.
    I appreciate that healthy people wonder why they should be held back but there are cases of perfectly healthy young people dying from this.
    You also don't know who you will pass this onto.
    Close the airports now.

We'd have no or hardly any road deaths of we banned cars. How many lives could be saved if alcohol was banned?

If 2% of cases are attributed to travel, yet 65% are from community transmission where people aren't socially distancing or wearing masks; how will closing airports make things better?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭VG31

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Government advises not to travel, people will still travel for holiday and keep up the pretense that they will isolate/self quarantine.... some might... but if they are chancing travelling against advice I cant see them adhering to taking 2 weeks off work and not stepping out the door.

It's no longer blanket advice not to travel, the green list countries are exempt from the "no non-essential travel" advice.
    In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. However, as of 21 July, travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice. The security status for those locations to which non-essential travel can resume has been changed to ‘normal precautions’ (“green”) rating. Individuals arriving in Ireland from these locations will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

My son's Spanish partner returned to Spain this morning to Barcelona after completing a very difficult years of college in Galway and she said the flight was full of Irish holiday makers!

I'm so furious with both Ryanair and the Irish Government.

My Ryanair flight for last Easter have still not been refunded.

My August flights that were booked last January don't qualify for a refund because the flight is going ahead despite the government telling us not to travel.

Anyone who gambled went against government advice and recently booked flights are rewarded with the option of free flight changes.

I'm going to lobby my travel insurance, Ryanair, Consumer affairs and politicians tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

imaging going to the oppressive heat of Spain and then having to wear a mask for most of that time, imaging knowing you going to have to and going on 'holiday' anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,638 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

imaging going to the oppressive heat of Spain and then having to wear a mask for most of that time, imaging knowing you going to have to and going on 'holiday' anyway.

Why imagine it when you can just do it? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

IrishHomer wrote: »
    My son's Spanish partner returned to Spain this morning to Barcelona after completing a very difficult years of college in Galway and she said the flight was full of Irish holiday makers!

My August flights that were booked last January don't qualify for a refund because the flight is going ahead despite the government telling us not to travel.

Anyone who gambled went against government advice and recently booked flights are rewarded with the option of free flight changes.

I'm going to lobby my travel insurance, Ryanair, Consumer affairs and politicians tomorrow.

The sensational thing is Irish people are told to stay home; Brits fly out enjoying themselves; Brits come to Ireland no problem.

Decision makers need to go to prison for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Currently on the ferry from Wales over to Dublin, after a weekend break with family.... frustrating that my plans to join and go to the gym this week have been scuppered as I have to isolate...

You.Do.Not.Have.To.Isolate!:mad:

You are making the personal choice to isolate. There is no have to about it, there is no law requiring you to do so.:mad:

Stop insinuating that it is a legal requirement for others to do so, that is their personal choice.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Lobby them for what?

Your flight is going but you're choosing not to.

You should be the only person out of pocket - own your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Lobby them for what?

Your flight is going but you're choosing not to.

You should be the only person out of pocket - own your decision.

I think what she means is the government is being soft by allowing direct flights from Spain to land in Ireland. By continuing to allow these flights, customers can't get refunds as they're voluntarily not boarding and travel insurance companies are being flaky in paying out.

If flights from Spain weren't allowed land, consumers would have some course for remittance as Ryanair would have to refund but Ryanair would be out of pocket. Go figure who the government would rather keep happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

43 degrees today where I live. Had my mask on when I'm moving between places and guess what... I'm fine.

People are really overblowing the mask thing. It stops spreading the virus. Some people might find it uncomfortable but it'll stop the spread. People need to get.over themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Yes imagine!

Imagine going to the "oppressive" heat of Spain and you can't walk around naked. You actually have to wear some clothes in shops and restaurants. Wow imagine!! :eek:

It's the same with a bit of material over your face, no big deal.:rolleyes:

The hysterical brigade are sure out in force today, must be the dull weather.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

43 degrees today where I live. Had my mask on when I'm moving between places and guess what... I'm fine.

People are really overblowing the mask thing. It stops spreading the virus. Some people might find it uncomfortable but it'll stop the spread. People need to get.over themselves.

It's unbelievable what absolute weak little babies people are being about the mask thing.

What is worse - having to wear a mask when out and about in public, but being able to resume almost normal daily life, with holidays, restaurants, bars, beach and whatever else, or being stuck at home for an entire year or longer because the cases aren't dropping?

Masks basically give us our freedom back. What about this are people just not getting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

It's unbelievable what absolute weak little babies people are being about the mask thing.

What is worse - having to wear a mask when out and about in public, but being able to resume almost normal daily life, with holidays, restaurants, bars, beach and whatever else, or being stuck at home for an entire year or longer because the cases aren't dropping?

Masks basically give us our freedom back. What about this are people just not getting?

If I am forced to wear a manky mask against my will, that isn't freedom in any way.

thelad95 wrote: »
    . Go figure who the government would rather keep happy.

The successful Irish business that employs thousands and contributes millions to the economy or the hysteria brigade?

Go figure indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Struggling with this one. You don't want to go so u want the flight cancelled for everyone?

U seem also to have issue with people who are taking the flights they have paid for. One of two scenarios will play out for people arriving in Spain:

1. They will be fully aware of the various restrictions now in place on Spanish soil but have decided that using the same cop on that they are supposed to be employing here will ensure that they have a safe and enjoyable holiday.

2. These people are rock dwellers and are in for a bit of a surprise when they land

I call bull**** on this. I'm in Spain for the second time this month. Flew from Dublin. Both fights going were half full. Flight back last time was near empty and my my flight on Wednesday is selling for 25 euro to try and fill it.

Looking up Barcelona and all the dates are available for under 40 euro. They are far from full.

Just a typical lie to try and back your rant because YOU have chosen not to travel.

Your choice.

I would also add that while delayed, all my cancelled flights have been refunded. Ryanair themselves claim to be only a month behind after clearing the backlog.
    The_Brood wrote: »
    The sensational thing is Irish people are told to stay home; Brits fly out enjoying themselves; Brits come to Ireland no problem.

Decision makers need to go to prison for this.

And I thought the rants couldn't get more ridiculous......

If I am forced to wear a manky mask against my will, that isn't freedom in any way.

Try cleaning it and it won't be manky.

Other than that.... Continue on fighting the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The successful Irish business that employs thousands and contributes millions to the economy or the hysteria brigade?

Go figure indeed

I agree, it sucks that some people are going to have to make a hard decision and lose a few hundred or even a thousand euros but it likely won't bankrupt them. A lot of airlines are treading a ridiculously thin line in terms of cash flow so I can see the long term argument.

As it stands, Aer Lingus could well be a casualty of this pandemic and BA don't seem to care nor do the Irish government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Feria40 wrote: »
    I'm gonna appear like a pr*** to some for this but the post above makes really makes me despair. Are people living under rocks?

I see similar on my Facebook feed all morning along the lines of "OMG people travelling from Spain to the UK need to quarantine for 14 days!! What's the Irish government going to do???"

Or "ban all flights to/from Spain now!"

Well jeez I mean for sure ban Spanish flights and leave the US flights be.

I mean WTF like. How is it some huge revelation that the UK has taken a country off their far larger green list which was never on the Irish list in the first place.

I think flights in and out of all Covid hot spots should be stopped here including the US, UK and also Spain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

acequion wrote: »
    Yes imagine!

Imagine going to the "oppressive" heat of Spain and you can't walk around naked. You actually have to wear some clothes in shops and restaurants. Wow imagine!! :eek:

It's the same with a bit of material over your face, no big deal.:rolleyes:

The hysterical brigade are sure out in force today, must be the dull weather.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

you're going to feel even hotter with a mask on.

Im not saying don't wear a mask and saying don't go to Spain in July when your required to wear a mask most of the time, its not my idea of enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭boetstark

Will people understand
    We were to go to dingle this week for 2 nights B&B
    It was going to cost approx 850 euro with accomodation breakfast a boat trip and eating out 2 nights. Weather forecast is crap.
    Now flying to naples return for 3 of us 336 euro
    5 star Hotel in quiet suburb of naples 720 euro 7 nights with breakfast.
    I heard dingle is mobbed with poor social distancing as lots are indoors due to rain.
    My logic apart from money is i am at less risk in naples than Ireland. Social distancing and wearing masks being 100% enforced in Italy.
    We are getting negative vibes from some friends 🀔

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I think flights in and out of all Covid hot spots should be stopped here including the US, UK and also Spain

Even though in Spain's car the majority of cases in one region?

In the case of the UK I'm afraid the border really makes it a non runner really.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Nicetrustedcup

Myself I am planning on travelling in the coming months,

I wear a mask all the time in Ireland, every shop I go into I wear it, was at the dentist the other day took my mask off just as my dentist was starting to clean my teeth also no issues with haveing my temp check , went to the barber no issues keeping my mask on and haveing my temp check and filling out a contact trace forum

It’s the new normal we have to get on with it and not moan and grown and say close the borders don’t travel and so on,

As long as you stay safe, wash your hands, have your hand gel handy and wear your mask you should be ok !!!

You can’t stay in your house for the next few years we just have to get on with things and try to enjoy life !!!

boetstark wrote: »
    Will people understand
    It was going to cost approx 850 euro with accomodation breakfast a boat trip and eating out 2 nights. Weather forecast is crap.
    I heard dingle is mobbed with poor social distancing as lots are indoors due to rain.
    My logic apart from money is i am at less risk in naples than Ireland. Social distancing and wearing masks being 100% enforced in Italy.
    We are getting negative vibes from some friends ��

It's called begrudgery - we are very good at it.

'I've canceled my holiday so why should anyone else be allowed to go and enjoy themselves.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

boetstark wrote: »
    Will people understand
    We are getting negative vibes from some friends 🀔

Enjoy and f##k the begrudgery, you will be safer in Italy than some price gouging Irish resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You know all this would be solved if they simply grounded the plains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I want to travel during the winter. But I won't go against guidelines.

• Advertisement

You know all this would be solved if they simply grounded the plains.

And then what? And forever or just like til sometime..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement