Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I want to travel during the winter. But I won't go against guidelines.
    Other than 'normal precautions' no guidelines apply to Green list countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Does anyone think there’s any chance that the non essential travel stipulation will be lifted to green countries? As civil servants were obliged by our employers to self isolate for 2 weeks when we come back from countries deemed safe to travel to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

You know all this would be solved if they simply grounded the plains.

But the rain in Spain falls mainly on the plains

Does anyone think there’s any chance that the non essential travel stipulation will be lifted to green countries? As civil servants were obliged by our employers to self isolate for 2 weeks when we come back from countries deemed safe to travel to.

Take a look at the DFA website. There are a few here willing to tell porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

It is lifted, the advice was changed for the green list, the government just don't want to advertise it.

Green list countries are now normal precautions, as above check the dfa and hse websites, they updated their text in last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. However, as of 21 July, travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice. The security status for those locations to which non-essential travel can resume has been changed to ‘normal precautions’ (“green”) rating. Individuals arriving in Ireland from these locations will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival. These locations are:

So you do not have to concern yourself with restricting movements or that circular if you are arriving from the green list countries

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

So you do not have to concern yourself with restricting movements or that circular if you are arriving from the green list countries

You don't have to regardless of where you've come from.

Take a look at the DFA website. There are a few here willing to tell porkies.

Thanks I’ve not seen anything official from people point or any clear instruction issuing other than the July 15 one advising us of the requirement to quarantine.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

They actually have far bigger industrial sectors than tourism once you drift inwards / north. Also fishing and farming would be big in certain areas. The majority of the country isn't benidorm.

Problem is that tourism in Spain has been the golden goose that kept on giving for 50-60 years. But now there is a problem.

2018 stats show that nationally, tourism accounted for 12.3% of GDP, 1.3% more than in 2015. It was the number one contributor to the country, in terms of GDP as of August last year. It employs 7 times the number of people as the automotive sector, for example.
    No-one in authority, it seems, thought that proper economic diversification might be a good idea.
    Let the good tourism times keep rolling & growing. Sure, the jobs created are of a precarious nature, most of the jobs are short-term contracts, low-paid, but what could happen? What could possibly go wrong?
    2020. A perfect storm, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

If I am forced to wear a manky mask against my will, that isn't freedom in any way.

And because of stubborn, selfish people like you, this pandemic will go on and on, dragging out the misery for longer, people like me unable to visit family, life completely paused for God knows how long. We won't be able to just get on with normal life like they have been in Japan this entire time. Nation of 120 million people, oldest population in the world, have had coronavirus circulating since January and they're barely at 1000 deaths.

And here we are, after months of lockdown, still barely functioning and the economy in ruins.

All so you don't have to put a fit of fabric on your face.

• Advertisement

JuanJose wrote: »
    Problem is that tourism in Spain has been the golden goose that kept on giving for 50-60 years. But now there is a problem.

2018 stats show that nationally, tourism accounted for 12.3% of GDP, 1.3% more than in 2015. It was the number one contributor to the country, in terms of GDP as of August last year. It employs 7 times the number of people as the automotive sector, for example.
    No-one in authority, it seems, thought that proper economic diversification might be a good idea.
    Let the good tourism times keep rolling & growing. Sure, the jobs created are of a precarious nature, most of the jobs are short-term contracts, low-paid, but what could happen? What could possibly go wrong?
    2020. A perfect storm, unfortunately.

Not sure why you compared to the car industry but ok. I dunno if I would consider 12% to be putting all your eggs in the one basket as the other poster suggested.

Spain has diversity but you can't cram every single industry in and the most important aspect of tourist dollars? It's other people's dollars coming into your economy. That's a big bonus. A bonus you don't even need to fight for. You have the sun, you have the beaches and you have the night life. Why would you not take advantage of that? Or morr importantly, what would you replace it with that's as good?

Thanks I’ve not seen anything official from people point or any clear instruction issuing other than the July 15 one advising us of the requirement to quarantine.

The 15 green list countries are off the non essential travel list instead subject it normal precautions. No quarantine requirement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

The 15 green list countries are off the non essential travel list instead subject it normal precautions. No quarantine requirement.

There is no quarantine requirement for any country in the entire world!

Why do people on here keep repeating this lie?

I will highlight it every time until the lies stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭recyclops

boetstark wrote: »
    Will people understand
    We were to go to dingle this week for 2 nights B&B
    It was going to cost approx 850 euro with accomodation breakfast a boat trip and eating out 2 nights. Weather forecast is crap.
    Now flying to naples return for 3 of us 336 euro
    5 star Hotel in quiet suburb of naples 720 euro 7 nights with breakfast.
    I heard dingle is mobbed with poor social distancing as lots are indoors due to rain.
    My logic apart from money is i am at less risk in naples than Ireland. Social distancing and wearing masks being 100% enforced in Italy.
    We are getting negative vibes from some friends ��

the only problem id have with returning to naples is the sardine tins for metros, if i didnt have to get the metro id be in naples in a heartbeat haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

There is no quarantine requirement for any country in the entire world!

Why do people on here keep repeating this lie?

I will highlight it every time until the lies stop!

It’s an advisement, and will continue to be an advisement while gob****ės ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Apparently the government have issued a directive now that even if a country is on the green list public servants will have to take 2 weeks unpaid leave or holidays when they return from a green list country.
    Surely this can't be legal?

mikekerry wrote: »
    Apparently the government have issued a directive now that even if a country is on the green list public servants will have to take 2 weeks unpaid leave or holidays when they return from a green list country.

This is exactly what I’m trying to get clarification on. Absolutely scandalous if this is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

They issued the 2 week leave or holidays a couple of weeks ago - before the list. I haven't seen an updated one that mentions the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

They issued the 2 week leave or holidays a couple of weeks ago - before the list. I haven't seen an updated one that mentions the green list.

same, wifes on unpaid leave now after returning from Spain the weekend. i can work from home so im grand, altthough she has been 100% working from home since the start, so its absolute BS that she has to take the leave, but the union told her it would be more hassle than its worth if she fought it.

so now we're diseased lepers at home, but we had our 12 days in the sun so happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

copeyhagen wrote: »
    same, wifes on unpaid leave now after returning from Spain the weekend. i can work from home so im grand, altthough she has been 100% working from home since the start, so its absolute BS that she has to take the leave, but the union told her it would be more hassle than its worth if she fought it.

so now we're diseased lepers at home, but we had our 12 days in the sun so happy out.

yeah working from home initiative was was fine for the government when it suited them and now when it suits them they are using it against people to say they can't work from home resulting in people having to take unpaid leave/extra holidays.
    Absolute codswallop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

I just have to play devils advocate and ask: if you OH is working from home already, how would they find out where she went on hols? Can the CS check?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Why did your wife tell them she'd been abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 skyway

Apologies if something like this has already been asked...

I am living in Spain but am finally planning to go home for three weeks next week. Obviously, it looks like I will be under house arrest for the first two because of quarantine.

What I'd like to know is if I can get tested as soon as I arrive in Ireland in order to avoid the full 14 day quarantine? Of course, that's assuming it comes back as negative. Or are the HSE/GPs only allowing people get tested that are showing actual symptoms?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

skyway wrote: »
    Apologies if something like this has already been asked...

I am living in Spain but am finally planning to go home for three weeks next week. Obviously, it looks like I will be under house arrest for the first two because of quarantine.

What I'd like to know is if I can get tested as soon as I arrive in Ireland in order to avoid the full 14 day quarantine? Of course, that's assuming it comes back as negative. Or are the HSE/GPs only allowing people get tested that are showing actual symptoms?

Thanks.

I'm sure you could call a doctor and say the necessary things to get tested if you catch my drift.

Why did your wife tell them she'd been abroad?

I suppose it’s easy to bump into a work colleague about the place and hard to explain a suntan in this **** climate etc. People don’t like feeling lies either and I can see how it would take away from a holiday with an element of secrecy about it. Pressure needs to be applied onto our unions etc to look at this. Either it’s safe to travel to the green list or it’s not. Such a cluster**** as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 skyway

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'm sure you could call a doctor and say the necessary things to get tested if you catch my drift.

Thanks thelad95.

I assume that's the only way one can currently book a test, yes? I do not see any kind of online booking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

Not sure why you compared to the car industry but ok.

It's just that the current battle by the Nissan workers to save the factories in Catalonia from closure sprung to mind, that's all. From what I've read, electric vehicle manufacture here is minimal compared to say France or Germany. Playing catch up there & losing future car production as a result of it.
    Spain has diversity but you can't cram every single industry in and the most important aspect of tourist dollars? It's other people's dollars coming into your economy. That's a big bonus. A bonus you don't even need to fight for. You have the sun, you have the beaches and you have the night life. Why would you not take advantage of that? Or morr importantly, what would you replace it with that's as good?

Safe to say that Spain has taken advantage of that (in terms of weather & beaches) and of course they should continue to do so but it's an ultra-competitive market now which you do need to fight for. There's no doubt that the Arab spring years played into the mediterranean countries' basket but, pre-covid, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey were fighting back on that front. And, as you probably know yourself, a certain element of the tourists are heading this way looking for a good time at a minimum cost. That's fair enough too but it's not going to lead to a decent economic bounce for locals.

Where it's at - or should be IMO - is more investment in renewables (I won't get into the scandal that is electricity & gas costs and how some other european countries have made solar power more accessible than successive Spanish governments), more investment in R&D (the brain drain of young Spanish talent to foreign shores has gone on for too long).

Would agree with you though - the tourism sector can't be expected to solve all the economic ills. The Canarian hoteliers body has repeatedly emphasised that point, even before Covid-19 surfaced.

Unless it's in your contract already which I know it isn't for me.

As usual we are being told to do something for the visuals of it. Be seen to be good little boys and girls to the private sector. Just like masks, not allowed wear them see the start and then people complain and the become mandatory and we aren't allowed take them off!

Meanwhile Michael isn't even bothering to isolate at all. Complete double standards, do as I say not as I do.

Like I said above, addyour name to the list with your union and get it fought

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭billyhead

Unless it's in your contract already which I know it isn't for me.

As usual we are being told to do something for the visuals of it. Be seen to be good little boys and girls to the private sector. Just like masks, not allowed wear them see the start and then people complain and the become mandatory and we aren't allowed take them off!

Meanwhile Michael isn't even bothering to isolate at all. Complete double standards, do as I say not as I do.

Like I said above, addyour name to the list with your union and get it fought

How would your Employer know you were away in a Green list country? Just tell them you holidayed in Clare or stayed at home.

• Advertisement

JuanJose wrote: »
    It's just that the current battle by the Nissan workers to save the factories in Catalonia from closure sprung to mind, that's all. From what I've read, electric vehicle manufacture here is minimal compared to say France or Germany. Playing catch up there & losing future car production as a result of it.

Safe to say that Spain has taken advantage of that (in terms of weather & beaches) and of course they should continue to do so but it's an ultra-competitive market now which you do need to fight for. There's no doubt that the Arab spring years played into the mediterranean countries' basket but, pre-covid, Egypt, Tunisia, Turkey were fighting back on that front. And, as you probably know yourself, a certain element of the tourists are heading this way looking for a good time at a minimum cost. That's fair enough too but it's not going to lead to a decent economic bounce for locals.

Where it's at - or should be IMO - is more investment in renewables (I won't get into the scandal that is electricity & gas costs and how some other european countries have made solar power more accessible than successive Spanish governments), more investment in R&D (the brain drain of young Spanish talent to foreign shores has gone on for too long).

Would agree with you though - the tourism sector can't be expected to solve all the economic ills. The Canarian hoteliers body has repeatedly emphasised that point, even before Covid-19 surfaced.

We're dragging off thread so I'll keep it short. We're totally on the same page here. Scandalous regarding solar power after people invested in them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement