Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

billyhead wrote: »
    How would your Employer know you were away in a Green list country? Just tell them you holidayed in Clare or stayed at home.

Yeah I agree but according to my union rep, if you lie to avoid the directive you are open to discipline and I don't think they have the appetite to be seen to argue against it on that score. Again, be seen to be good boys and girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yeah I agree but according to my union rep, if you lie to avoid the directive you are open to discipline and I don't think they have the appetite to be seen to argue against it on that score. Again, be seen to be good boys and girls.

That's horse****. How can they find out you were abroad if your working from home unless your posting loads of images up on Facebook, Instagram and the like. They wouldn't have the audacity to ring you during your week or whatever your on off to see if it's a foreign ring tone. Don't tell them were your holidaying or just say your holidaying at home and dont post images up on the internet and then they have no way of knowing were you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

That's horse****. How can they find out you were abroad if your working from home unless your posting loads of images up on Facebook, Instagram and the like. They wouldn't have the audacity to ring you during your week or whatever your on off to see if it's a foreign ring tone. Don't tell them were your holidaying or just say your holidaying at home and dont post images up on the internet and then they have no way of knowing were you were.

You’d have to avoid the sun then also. How can you explain walking into the office on Monday morning looking tanned and refreshed after a week in Clare? Also people inherently don’t like telling lies.

You’d have to avoid the sun then also. How can you explain walking into the office on Monday morning looking tanned and refreshed after a week in Clare? Also people inherently don’t like telling lies.

If your working remotely it won't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If your working remotely it won't matter.
    A lot of people aren't working from home / remotely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,307 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I suppose it’s easy to bump into a work colleague about the place and hard to explain a suntan in this **** climate etc. People don’t like feeling lies either and I can see how it would take away from a holiday with an element of secrecy about it. Pressure needs to be applied onto our unions etc to look at this. Either it’s safe to travel to the green list or it’s not. Such a cluster**** as usual.

The poster said his wife had been working from home full time - i'd imagine it would be quite easy to avoid bumping into a colleague.

As regards 'telling lies', I don't even see how such a scenario arises - you would have to voluntarily tell your employer the information - they have literally no legal or contractual right to know what you do in your free time.

It baffles me that people playing ball with the nonsense that is being farted out by Government - the poster himself admitted that there is no logic to the situation but is still rowing in behind it - bizarre.

The poster said his wife had been working from home full time - i'd imagine it would be quite easy to avoid bumping into a colleague.

As regards 'telling lies', I don't even see how such a scenario arises - you would have to voluntarily tell your employer the information - they have literally no legal or contractual right to know what you do in your free time.

It baffles me that people playing ball with the nonsense that is being farted out by Government - the poster himself admitted that there is no logic to the situation but is still rowing in behind it - bizarre.

Of course the situation comes about. You don't chat with your colleagues about family, holidays, etc? Most people would chat on the workplace about such things so if you lie, you need to keep that lie going and not everyone is comfortable with that.

I would get phonecalls on my days off. Would be very normal in my place to call people for all sorts. A pet hate if mine personally but plenty still do it.

Of course if you are working from home then it just makes the whole thing even more ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The circular said it will be updated when travel advice changes, it has changed.

Government advice is clear you dont need to quarantine on return from green country, therefore the advice in that circular will change as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The 15 green list countries are off the non essential travel list instead subject it normal precautions. No quarantine requirement.

Correct. If someone wants to go for a holiday somewhere on the green list can do so if they wish.

Government departments and ministers continually coming out with mixed messages.

Everyone is just confused with the mixed messaging

To highlight again the travel advice
    n accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. However, as of 21 July, travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice. The security status for those locations to which non-essential travel can resume has been changed to ‘normal precautions’ (“green”) rating. Individuals arriving in Ireland from these locations will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival. These locations are:

• Advertisement

So any civil or public servant can discard the circular from a few weeks back as travel and health advice has changed.

It is appalling they havent bothered to send out another circular yet.

Did MM quarantine for 14 days on his return from Brussels last week? No is the answer. Belgium isn't on the green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Did MM quarantine for 14 days on his return from Brussels last week? No is the answer. Belgium isn't on the green list.

Classed as essential worker for the visit, undergoing 2 tests though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

bladespin wrote: »

Other essential travellers are still advised to do 14 days 'restricted movements' though and are not just given free tests to clear them (be great if they were).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 415 ✭✭johnmck

Anybody been to or heard of what things are like in Lisbon?

bladespin wrote: »

So am I, still told to stay at home. Public sector including Michael aren't in the list of exempted industries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

One of the reasons I'm so irate about this 14 day business is that 1] it is indiscriminate and 2] it puts people into an awkward situation which is both unfair and stressful.

Re 1] How is it fair that a retired person, a teacher on summer hols [which is me] or those with accommodating employers get away without losing 2 weeks pay on return, while most sectors of the public service, most areas in the private,social welfare and PUP recipients all lose their 14 days? And for what?? For some stupid advisory whose benefit is very questionable and cannot even be enforced! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's not enforced. I hate a heavy handed state. But what is the point in a stupid rule just for optics? How many people will really bother to "restrict their movements"for two weeks? I'm back a week, could be partying every night of the week [I'm not but nothing to stop me] and no check up phone call either! People do need to get their unions fighting and it will apply to us teachers after September.

Re 2] Some people don't give a shyt what others think and fair play to them! Some people are very independent minded and again fair play! Some are total pushovers and I've no sympathy for them. But many are in the middle. And those people just hate the idea of sneaking around and lying. Especially about something previously normal and nice like your foreign holiday. That said, many people may be forced into doing just that and I don't blame them one bit.

We'll all get behind logical and fair rules. But like so much in Ireland this is horseshyt and is of no great benefit. And hence doesn't deserve to be respected, certainly not in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

So am I, still told to stay at home. Public sector including Michael aren't in the list of exempted industries

Diplomatic visit, it was listed (not sure if still there), believe me I was all over it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

You.Do.Not.Have.To.Isolate!:mad:

You are making the personal choice to isolate. There is no have to about it, there is no law requiring you to do so.:mad:

Stop insinuating that it is a legal requirement for others to do so, that is their personal choice.:mad:

My poor choice of words, I would say, it is "recommended" I isolate...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jayzee

johnmck wrote: »
    Anybody been to or heard of what things are like in Lisbon?
    Just back from there - very calm and chilled.
    Bars close at 8pm but restaurants are open beyond that.
    Masks inside and on public transport - very high level of compliance

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

skyway wrote: »
    Apologies if something like this has already been asked...

I am living in Spain but am finally planning to go home for three weeks next week. Obviously, it looks like I will be under house arrest for the first two because of quarantine.

What I'd like to know is if I can get tested as soon as I arrive in Ireland in order to avoid the full 14 day quarantine? Of course, that's assuming it comes back as negative. Or are the HSE/GPs only allowing people get tested that are showing actual symptoms?

Thanks.

You do not have to quarantine for any period of time after arriving in Ireland from Spain.

There is no law requiring you to do so, you do not have to take any test and there is no penalty for not following the official advice.

It is purely advice and fully up to you.

Every time I see the lie, I will reply. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

acequion wrote: »
    One of the reasons I'm so irate about this 14 day business is that 1] it is indiscriminate and 2] it puts people into an awkward situation which is both unfair and stressful.

Re 1] How is it fair that a retired person, a teacher on summer hols [which is me] or those with accommodating employers get away without losing 2 weeks pay on return, while most sectors of the public service, most areas in the private,social welfare and PUP recipients all lose their 14 days? And for what?? For some stupid advisory whose benefit is very questionable and cannot even be enforced! Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's not enforced. I hate a heavy handed state. But what is the point in a stupid rule just for optics? How many people will really bother to "restrict their movements"for two weeks? I'm back a week, could be partying every night of the week [I'm not but nothing to stop me] and no check up phone call either! People do need to get their unions fighting and it will apply to us teachers after September.

Re 2] Some people don't give a shyt what others think and fair play to them! Some people are very independent minded and again fair play! Some are total pushovers and I've no sympathy for them. But many are in the middle. And those people just hate the idea of sneaking around and lying. Especially about something previously normal and nice like your foreign holiday. That said, many people may be forced into doing just that and I don't blame them one bit.

We'll all get behind logical and fair rules. But like so much in Ireland this is horseshyt and is of no great benefit. And hence doesn't deserve to be respected, certainly not in the long term.

Nail on head thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

You do not have to quarantine for any period of time after arriving in Ireland from Spain.

There is no law requiring you to do so, you do not have to take any test and there is no penalty for not following the official advice.

It is purely advice and fully up to you.

Every time I see the lie, I will reply. :o

You keep spamming the thread with nonsense which is taking it off topic. It is not "advice" - it is a requirement from your Government as well as many employers.

"What to do on entering Ireland from abroad:

"The Irish Authorities require anyone coming into Ireland, apart from Northern Ireland and individuals arriving in Ireland from locations with a security rating of ‘normal precautions’ (“green”), to restrict their movements for 14 days, and this includes citizens and residents returning to Ireland. Restricting your movements means staying indoors in one location and avoiding contact with other people and social situations as much as possible. "

Whether you can be arrested and thrown in jail or not or whether the is specific legislation written yet or not is completely irrelevant to the normal law abiding citizen who is just trying to get on with their life and look after their family taking on board the advice provided by our medical experts and elected leaders.

Your Dept of Foreign Affairs have advised you not to travel, advised you to restrict your movements etc. Further to that alot of employers are enforcing the same and as I already said schools are opening in 5 weeks so they are not going to take kids back who have been away without them first self isolating for 2 weeks.

So yes the majority of people will take the 14 day policy into account when making their decision to travel or not - which is the whole point of this thread as far as I can see!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

You keep spamming the thread with nonsense which is taking it off topic. It is not "advice" - it is a requirement from your Government as well as many employers.

"The Irish Authorities require anyone coming into Ireland, apart from Northern Ireland and individuals arriving in Ireland from locations with a security rating of ‘normal precautions’ (“green”), to restrict their movements for 14 days, and this includes citizens and residents returning to Ireland. Restricting your movements means staying indoors in one location and avoiding contact with other people and social situations as much as possible. "

Whether you can be arrested and thrown in jail or not or whether the is specific legislation written yet or not is completely irrelevant to the normal law abiding citizen who is just trying to get on with their life and look after their family taking on board the advice provided by our medical experts and elected leaders.

Your Dept of Foreign Affairs have advised you not to travel, advised you to restrict your movements etc. Further to that alot of employers are enforcing the same and as I already said schools are opening in 5 weeks so they are not going to take kids back who have been away without them first self isolating for 2 weeks.

So yes the majority of people will take the 14 day policy into account when making their decision to travel or not - which is the whole point of this thread as far as I can see!

From DFA website ..
    In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. However, as of 21 July, travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice. The security status for those locations to which non-essential travel can resume has been changed to ‘normal precautions’ (“green”) rating.

So green countries are exempt from restrictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Firstly, it is not, and never will be, my government.

Secondly, you are a liar: there is NO legal requirement to self isolate or quarantine for 14 days. None, nada, zero.

People trust others to be truthful when it comes to travel advice and I can confirm with 100% certainty that there is no legal requirement to quarantine for 14 days.

Every time I see the lie, I will reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭T.V Eye

https://www2.hse.ie/file-library/coronavirus/covid-19-passenger-locator-form.pdf

This is the document you complete and sign on arrival to Ireland.
    Why does it fail to mention that the individual is required to restrict their movement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

None of what you posted applies to the 15 countries on the Green list.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

T.V Eye wrote: »
    https://www2.hse.ie/file-library/coronavirus/covid-19-passenger-locator-form.pdf

This is the document you complete and sign on arrival.
    Why does it fail to mention that the individual is required restrict their movement?

Nowhere. This is a very good point.

I expect some change though as the noisy few are still evident in the media. Simon Coventry has suggested that the Gov are looking at tightening up the info requirement for what are deemed arrivals from hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

None of what you posted applies to the 15 countries on the Green list.

Thats true I was not referring to green list. Just general travel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

when are the current travel advisories due to be reviewed? was it still 2 weeks, meaning Tuesday week?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement