Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

You do not have to quarantine for any period of time after arriving in Ireland from Spain.

There is no law requiring you to do so, you do not have to take any test and there is no penalty for not following the official advice.

It is purely advice and fully up to you.

Every time I see the lie, I will reply. :o

I think the majority of people have probably already clicked the ignore button on you but in any case it's not a lie, it's an official requirement. What agenda are you trying to prove exactly?

Why not just follow the requirement because it's the right thing to do and not because you likely won't be penalised if you don't follow?

We are an island country, how do you think the virus arrived here in the first place?

Do you think it was wise that hundreds of people returned to workplaces after Cheltenham which occurred in what we now know was a United Kingdom that was likely already ravaged with over 10,000 cases by that point?

bladespin wrote: »
    Diplomatic visit, it was listed (not sure if still there), believe me I was all over it ;)

I'll trust ya so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

boetstark wrote: »
    Will people understand
    We were to go to dingle this week for 2 nights B&B
    It was going to cost approx 850 euro with accomodation breakfast a boat trip and eating out 2 nights. Weather forecast is crap.
    Now flying to naples return for 3 of us 336 euro
    5 star Hotel in quiet suburb of naples 720 euro 7 nights with breakfast.
    I heard dingle is mobbed with poor social distancing as lots are indoors due to rain.
    My logic apart from money is i am at less risk in naples than Ireland. Social distancing and wearing masks being 100% enforced in Italy.
    We are getting negative vibes from some friends ��

I had a similar experience. I'm paying over 300 for 3 nights in Kerry next week, yet I booked accommodation for 5 nights in Tuscany in late August for 270. The accommodation in Tuscany is far more luxurious too.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think the majority of people have probably already clicked the ignore button on you but in any case it's not a lie, it's an official requirement. What agenda are you trying to prove exactly?

Why not just follow the requirement because it's the right thing to do and not because you likely won't be penalised if you don't follow?

We are an island country, how do you think the virus arrived here in the first place?

Do you think it was wise that hundreds of people returned to workplaces after Cheltenham which occurred in what we now know was a United Kingdom that was likely already ravaged with over 10,000 cases by that point?

No it's not. It is not a requirement. That's his point. People are claiming it's more than it is.

You are wrong. It's a medical recommendation, not a legal requirement.

He can keep saying it, I can keep saying it. Get it into your head and refer to it correctly.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    I had a similar experience. I'm paying over 300 for 3 nights in Kerry next week, yet I booked accommodation for 5 nights in Tuscany in late August for 270. The accommodation in Tuscany far more luxurious too.

So go

• Advertisement

You keep spamming the thread with nonsense which is taking it off topic. It is not "advice" - it is a requirement from your Government as well as many employers.

"What to do on entering Ireland from abroad:

"The Irish Authorities require anyone coming into Ireland, apart from Northern Ireland and individuals arriving in Ireland from locations with a security rating of ‘normal precautions’ (“green”), to restrict their movements for 14 days, and this includes citizens and residents returning to Ireland. Restricting your movements means staying indoors in one location and avoiding contact with other people and social situations as much as possible. "

Whether you can be arrested and thrown in jail or not or whether the is specific legislation written yet or not is completely irrelevant to the normal law abiding citizen who is just trying to get on with their life and look after their family taking on board the advice provided by our medical experts and elected leaders.

Your Dept of Foreign Affairs have advised you not to travel, advised you to restrict your movements etc. Further to that alot of employers are enforcing the same and as I already said schools are opening in 5 weeks so they are not going to take kids back who have been away without them first self isolating for 2 weeks.

So yes the majority of people will take the 14 day policy into account when making their decision to travel or not - which is the whole point of this thread as far as I can see!

Fair enough. I require the postman to deliver the mail in his mouth. There's no law saying he has to. I have no power to force him to and there's no penalties if he doesn't.

Is he actually required to do it?

That's compared to the schools which are legally required to take the students and have absolutely zero right to know where the kids spent the summer.

The power people willingly give to others. I should just declare myself the Messiah and see how many disciple's I get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

So go

I will be. I was just reaffirming his/her opinion on the cost comparisons.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Firstly, it is not, and never will be, my government.

Secondly, you are a liar: there is NO legal requirement to self isolate or quarantine for 14 days. None, nada, zero.

People trust others to be truthful when it comes to travel advice and I can confirm with 100% certainty that there is no legal requirement to quarantine for 14 days.

Every time I see the lie, I will reply.

Ah, a Shinnerbot...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

arccosh wrote: »
    when are the current travel advisories due to be reviewed? was it still 2 weeks, meaning Tuesday week?

Yes I understand it would be reviewed on Tuesday next week. Similar or lower cases to Ireland over rolling 14 day window per 100k.

Ireland has gone up a bit since it was published.. Think some of the green listers have

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

No it's not. It is not a requirement. That's his point. People are claiming it's more than it is.

You are wrong. It's a medical recommendation, not a legal requirement.

He can keep saying it, I can keep saying it. Get it into your head and refer to it correctly.

A medical recommendation is "do not smoke".

The 14 day quarantine is something many companies are basing decisions off. Some people can't go abroad for fear of losing their jobs as they have to declare themselves unavailable for two weeks upon return. Whether you agree with it or not, it's definitely going to be an issue when schools are due to return. If it's in the greater interest of the health of the rest of the class and by proxy those children's families, then the school do have a right to know if a child has just returned from a country where there is a "Do not travel" advisory in the interest of public health. It's likely some sort of legislation will be in place to ensure this happens in time for schools re-opening.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with it, there's far more proactive measures that can be taken especially with our testing capacity.

However to say that it's simply a medical recommendation that people can make their own minds up on is wrong, that's simply not the reality of the situation. Regardless of the technicalities of the legal enforceability, there can still be ramifications for those who travel because of the resulting 14 day quarantine on return. No point putting on blinkers just because it's technically not legally enforceable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

I promise you it is 100% NOT a requirement. This is not even debatable because I know I'm right about this.

I travelled recently to non green list countries and did not isolate or quarantine, so I know for a FACT it's not required, only advised.

I keep repeating this because many people have shelled out hundreds of euros on trips and are basing their decision to travel on this crazy 14 day quarantine on return, which does not exist.

Please stop lying.

Ah, a Shinnerbot...

I have never voted for Sinn Fein in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I wondered why we were so willing to accept the behaviour of the Catholic Church for so long when so much of their preaching on behaviour was so unreasonable.

A big eye opener in recent months is that it is evidently engrained in us - we are following unacceptable rules while those who should be accountable for their actions and inactions are not under scrutiny. There is a sense of a brain washed population with people willing to rat out their neighbours. This is not about wearing of masks and social distancing but The broader sense of controlling the population.

Said before and will Say again - there are many who will decide to get a one way ticket out of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭larchielads

Are they askin for pps numbers when u travel? One of my mates said somethin about it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

No 9 euro meal bull**** where I flew this weekend. There is a big lack of masks though which I find odd. Rising case counts the last few days so going to keep a strong eye on local news.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Are they askin for pps numbers when u travel? One of my mates said somethin about it today.

Social protection checking on Covid support payments at a guess.

bladespin wrote: »
    Social protection checking on Covid support payments at a guess.

Surely illegal to ask for this under GDPR?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭bladespin

Surely illegal to ask for this under GDPR?

I would have thought so but not sure what powers they have. Big news about payment stoppages for some travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

I think they're getting PPSN details from contact locator forms as people have to give their address and their date of birth, which enables DEASP to find people on their databases. The date of birth is an insurance policy so if for example if someone will be self-isolating in an address other than their registered home address, eg their partner's residence, DEASP can still find people on their system due to date of birth being provided. Dates of Birth are a strange mandatory detail on a form that is supposed to be only about locating you for public health reasons.

LordBasil wrote: »
    I think they're getting PPSN details from contact locator forms as people have to give their address and their date of birth, which enables DEASP to find people on their databases. The date of birth is an insurance policy so if for example if someone will be self-isolating in an address other than their registered home address, eg their partner's residence, DEASP can still find people on their system due to date of birth being provided. Dates of Birth are a strange mandatory detail on a form that is supposed to be only about locating you for public health reasons.

Serious big brother issues there if so? Do they have the statutory powers to use the data? Are people informed of it when they fill out the “public health” form? We are becoming a strange country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats a good thing tbf. If you don't want to loose the payment should be easy to figure out what NOT to do.

Wow! Is this just a guess or have you been told this by someone in the know?

Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Wow! Is this just a guess or have you been told this by someone in the know?

Shocking.

Just a guess, but why else do they want to know people's date of birth?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Thats a good thing tbf. If you don't want to loose the payment should be easy to figure out what NOT to do.

If the law changes then it is a requirement of Government to notify people. If data is used, there is a need to have a statutory power. Same crap as before - the State will spend more on legal fees relating to this than any money saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Serious big brother issues there if so? Do they have the statutory powers to use the data? Are people informed of it when they fill out the “public health” form? We are becoming a strange country.

On liveline there today there was a chap on saying he went to Scotland to see his girlfriend came back a few days later, at the gate on his outbound flight were 2 Gardaí who said they were conducting and immigration check, looked at his passport that was it. 2 weeks later payment stopped. He contacted the department and they were able to tell him the date, time and airline operating the flight he went on and said it was why his payment had stopped.

Potential issues with GDPR there for sure.

Just a guess, but why else do they want to know people's date of birth?

Good point. It looks like the Chinese Social Credit Score system is being introduced on the sly.

Incredible.:eek:

On liveline there today there was a chap on saying he went to Scotland to see his girlfriend came back a few days later, at the gate were 2 Gardaí who said they were conducting and immigration check, looked at his passport that was it. 2 weeks later payment stopped. He contacted the department and they were able to tell him the date, time and airline operating the flight he went on and said it was why his payment had stopped.

Worrying on many levels.

A medical recommendation is "do not smoke".

The 14 day quarantine is something many companies are basing decisions off. Some people can't go abroad for fear of losing their jobs as they have to declare themselves unavailable for two weeks upon return. Whether you agree with it or not, it's definitely going to be an issue when schools are due to return. If it's in the greater interest of the health of the rest of the class and by proxy those children's families, then the school do have a right to know if a child has just returned from a country where there is a "Do not travel" advisory in the interest of public health. It's likely some sort of legislation will be in place to ensure this happens in time for schools re-opening.

For what it's worth, I don't agree with it, there's far more proactive measures that can be taken especially with our testing capacity.

However to say that it's simply a medical recommendation that people can make their own minds up on is wrong, that's simply not the reality of the situation. Regardless of the technicalities of the legal enforceability, there can still be ramifications for those who travel because of the resulting 14 day quarantine on return. No point putting on blinkers just because it's technically not legally enforceable.

What's the legal ramifications for ignoring it?

Worrying on many levels.

A complete lie too

• Advertisement

A complete lie too

The DPC has had concerns about that Department. https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/dpc-statement-matters-pertaining-public-services-card-0

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement