Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just thinking about these 'named' storms (which I am not a fan of) but why are we going with a storm name named by the Spanish? I thought the storm naming system in this part of Europe was a coordination between the Brits, the Dutch and us? For example, the Germans name depression and storms all the time, yet we don't go with their named names. The whole thing is just objectively confusing.

I think if we are to have named storms, we should have a unified European system, rather than all this random names issued by various national met services.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Between Shtorms and viruses we r all fed up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    God love the buoys during the 80s/90s.

Absolutely. 'Intensity' isn't a word you'd associate with this winter's storms.

Though tomorrow's is one which causes concern for me. It's the first real direct hit this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

harr wrote: »
    Can’t be trying to pronounce those funny foreign names ...for me its George :D

God help us if we ever get lumbered with a 'Storm Greta'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

That's so 2019

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Will be of tropical origin...a lot of hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's not just the Irish buoys going out of service, UK have lost several too (K3 and PAP recently).

It seems that the met services are strapped for resources so they are slow in replacing them maybe in part because they are not as vital to forecasting as they once were (a byproduct of more reliable short range modelling).

There have not been as many out of service for the US and Canadian roster, occasionally one goes drifting and continues to report then you need to know where it actually is to assess the reports which are still accurate for that location.

It probably has more to do with speed of replacement issues than something unusual about damage rates.

As to the stall, I think that was probably expected and now a slower eastward motion is likely to develop.

WARNING: Storm Greta is approaching. You only have twelve years to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

It's not just the Irish buoys going out of service, UK have lost several too (K3 and PAP recently).

It seems that the met services are strapped for resources so they are slow in replacing them maybe in part because they are not as vital to forecasting as they once were (a byproduct of more reliable short range modelling).

There have not been as many out of service for the US and Canadian roster, occasionally one goes drifting and continues to report then you need to know where it actually is to assess the reports which are still accurate for that location.

It probably has more to do with speed of replacement issues than something unusual about damage rates.

As to the stall, I think that was probably expected and now a slower eastward motion is likely to develop.

This is Ireland MT. It takes years to get things done.

• Advertisement

It's the end result that counts, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

WARNING: Storm Greta is approaching. You only have twelve years to live.

She struck Bristol today.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

The latest Atlantic Surface Analysis chart issued around 9pm by the OPC:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

I work at Dublin Airport, so I'll keep you guys informed of any cancelled flights, delays if it helps anyone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow is not a day I would like to be in any plane, I'm a frightened flyer even at the best of times and shiver when the captain mentions a possible moment of normal every day turbulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECM winds at 100 metres, showing that strongest core getting into Galway Bay around midday and then coming out over the Irish Sea mid-afternoon. Second gold is 33-34 m/s (64-66 knots). Add around 8% to get the likely gusts at the surface (~70-72 knots), but stronger is possible inbetween these two chart times.

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2020022812_024.jpg

ecm0125_nat_100uv_mslp_2020022812_027.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Hor- hay up and feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bazlers

Looks like it might rival Darwin except a bit further up the coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Storm Whore Kay

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really wish Met Eireann or the Met Office named this storm, everyone is having a go at the Spanish name, even all the official weather channels and met services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mace head max gust tomorrow should be interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Luckily the peak of the swell is at lower tides.
    If not there would be absolute carnage.

Some of the beaches will have a lot of gullies and dips etc after this from the sands shifting

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Maybe this is a stupid question but why is the UK Met office showing yellow for Northern Ireland while we have orange in our adjoining counties? Do they have different criteria for the colour coding?
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Maybe this is a stupid question but why is the UK Met office showing yellow for Northern Ireland while we have orange in our adjoining counties? Do they have different criteria for the colour coding?
    Thanks.

They've to get through more red tape :)

met-eireann-issue-nationwide-orange-warning-for-saturday.png

Ireland wearing lipstick

Or would clare and limerick be better?

I think this is where Met E's warnings as delineated by county boundaries just don't work. East Galway and East Clare are not going to get red warning weather conditions tomorrow IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

Another weekend spent observing squall lines on boards.ie :(

time to hit the cans and easter eggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

stands up. looks out window
    walks back to desk
    squall lines arrived lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Mods can we get bans for anyone making terrible jokes about the storm being called Jorge?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Thanks.

Yes.. they have an impact based system. We use a numerical based system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Any reason why most of these storms end up being on a weekend. I know I'm being sort sighting because it probably evens out to any day or the course of how many storms there has been throughout the years. But recently many have being on the weekend.

Advertisement