Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The storm of February 1988 was particularly nasty. I think Bemullet had a gust of 170kmph

I recall being sent home from national school early because of some big storm during the late 80,s. Wonder was it this one. I remember it was pretty scary as the single panes of glass on our windows were visibly moving. We were scared the window was going to come in. Nice strong triple glazed ones now

Wind is starting to rise now here in Sth Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Follow the Finnis Buoy, which is located just east of the Aran Islands. Should be right in the thick of it tomorrow. It reports winds and seas every few minutes.

https://twitter.com/FinnisBuoy?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Don Henley was another great weather observer, as he alluded to in his 80's classic:

"After the buoys of summer have gone".

Samantha Fox was the real anorak ;)

Oh yes, it was Sabrina wasn't it. Bit of a boob on my part, thanks easypazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Buoys, buoys, buoys, everybody, summertime love.

Sabrina, nails it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

The East end bouys and West end girls

Pet shop buoys ...

Weather and Animal enthusiasts ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The buoy left standing (K4) at 55.4N 12.5W is down to 968 mbs, the low is now around 55N 17W and moving due east towards that buoy, could be right over it by about 10-11z. Should survive as the wind field within that sector will only get strong a while after the low has passed.

Satellite imagery shows clear development of the strong WSW winds about to reach land. Slow but steady increase in wind speed can be expected -- Belmullet may peak and back down, Newport still looks on the edge as the main thrust will be towards Galway and Clare.

In the warned areas, would say that red alert conditions most likely to be in the time frame 0900-1500h with that being a bit wider than the most likely span 1000-1400h.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Well I'm all set for a big windy day in North Clare tomorrow, will be interesting to see if this this red gets extended/expanded. I'd say I'll still have to make my way to work tomorrow evening though, we shall see.

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    The East end bouys and West end girls

Pet shop buoys ...

Weather and Animal enthusiasts ��
    I prefer the "buoys are back in town!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

In my current area of mid Clare the only storm worthy of the name, was Darwin (in my living memory. I know there were significant storms prior to Darwin, too)

Ophelia was barely a breeze. We did get thick snow in her wake.

None of the named storms since then have even been noticeable.

Darwin was genuinely shocking around here. Large trees felled one after another and another like domino, all along the road I was mad enough to drive on, with thick branches flying past the windscreen. When I opened the car door it was amazing it wasn't torn from the hinges. And yet Darwin was barely registered by many in other locations!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I prefer the "buoys are back in town!" :D

The Americans cannot sing that song with the double meaning as they say " boo-is"

• Advertisement

Morning!

Fisterra, northwest Spain, gusted to 145 km/hr at 0200h when the cold front passed. Otherwise top gusts 80-100 km/hr range in northern Spain generally. Some gusts in Brittany to 110 km/hr.

The 03z reading from the K3 buoy was 965.8 mb, wind 31 knots SSW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Graces7 wrote: »
    Morning!

And not a nice one either!

Just been woken up by wind in Sth Gal and it's not even 5 a.m
    Take care Grace.....I wouldn't fancy being on an island today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

A serious amount of snow falling in clare right now

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Woke up about twenty minutes ago bit of a breeze, went outside as wind picked up strangest sound off of Lough Derg I have ever heard. Wind has really picked up in last 10mins and now snowing. Think it's going to be a rough day in East Clare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Woke up about twenty minutes ago bit of a breeze, went outside as wind picked up strangest sound off of Lough Derg I have ever heard. Wind has really picked up in last 10mins and now snowing. Think it's going to be a rough day in East Clare.

Try west clare , parts of us might end up over ye today ! I hope they get ths one wrong in the strength of it!

Sundew wrote: »
    And not a nice one either!

Just been woken up by wind in Sth Gal and it's not even 5 a.m
    Take care Grace.....I wouldn't fancy being on an island today.

Thank you...

Well, actually being on an island is no different from being anywhere else in this weather... Cold and a gale blowing and rain deluging. Unless you get the " But you can't get off if anything happens! " syndrome...

It is what it is. "Time and the hour run through the roughest day.."

Sorted here. Routine! Very tired so will snooze.

Back later maybe,

Stay safe out there...

Try west clare , parts of us might end up over ye today ! I hope they get ths one wrong in the strength of it!

Ye are pretty exposed over there alright, I hope they are wrong too, can see a lot of trees coming down if they are right, they have gotten a good rattling for the last month. The ground is either saturated or submerged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭20silkcut

In my current area of mid Clare the only storm worthy of the name, was Darwin (in my living memory. I know there were significant storms prior to Darwin, too)

Ophelia was barely a breeze. We did get thick snow in her wake.

None of the named storms since then have even been noticeable.

Darwin was genuinely shocking around here. Large trees felled one after another and another like domino, all along the road I was mad enough to drive on, with thick branches flying past the windscreen. When I opened the car door it was amazing it wasn't torn from the hinges. And yet Darwin was barely registered by many in other locations!

The curious feature of storm Darwin was it caused an emergency to be declared in county Kilkenny very much inland. While no such emergency was declared in other more coastal counties. It seemed to be at its fiercest through Clare , Limerick, Tipp and Kilkenny. Maybe the Wicklow mountains dissipated it a bit after that. Where I live in North Tipperary it was easily the fiercest storm I remember worse than Christmas 97. In terms of structural damage and the amount of tress it knocked I never saw a storm like it.
    Everyday I’m reminded of the damage of that storm as some farmers around me still have roofless sheds on their farms since that day and some trees still remain toppled awaiting the chainsaw. The price of timber for for the fire collapsed that year. It moved fast that storm thank god.
    If it had to maintain what it was doing for a few hours longer than it did I dread to think the results.
    As far as I remember it peaked in the afternoon around 3 pm in my location and was gone by about 4:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

No snow here - NW Clare coast. Just a shower of hail. Winds not too bad yet. Increased a little with shower but settled back again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: We will not be doing a separate 'technical' and 'chat' thread for this event due to too much bickering the last time we split threads!

So....advance note....keep on topic and do not post nonsense! Off topic and nonsense posts will be removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

gfs-0-15-3h_gnj2.png

Batten down the hatches trampolines.

Also I think we can definitely expect trees, branches to come down from this. Power lines being brought down perhaps. Have your powerbanks fully charged. Electricity most likely to be out for at least 24 hours in the worst hit parts. Most of all , stay safe.

Sticking or melting? And what's your approx elevation above sea level?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

[quote="Mount Vesuvius;112680311

Batten down the hatches trampolines.[/quote]

Is it a bit further South based on that? Ireland hard to make out!

Sticking or melting? And what's your approx elevation above sea level?

It's melting stopped for a while started again a few minutes ago. Approximately 150ft above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Also in East Clare, about 20 miles west of you, it's very quiet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

20silkcut wrote: »
    The curious feature of storm Darwin was it caused an emergency to be declared in county Kilkenny very much inland. While no such emergency was declared in other more coastal counties. It seemed to be at its fiercest through Clare , Limerick, Tipp and Kilkenny. Maybe the Wicklow mountains dissipated it a bit after that. Where I live in North Tipperary it was easily the fiercest storm I remember worse than Christmas 97. In terms of structural damage and the amount of tress it knocked I never saw a storm like it.
    Everyday I’m reminded of the damage of that storm as some farmers around me still have roofless sheds on their farms since that day and some trees still remain toppled awaiting the chainsaw. The price of timber for for the fire collapsed that year. It moved fast that storm thank god.
    If it had to maintain what it was doing for a few hours longer than it did I dread to think the results.
    As far as I remember it peaked in the afternoon around 3 pm in my location and was gone by about 4:30.

It was pretty bad in Cork too. A lot of trees felled and damage done. The worst I remember since the Christmas Eve storm in the late 90’s.

Low centre has been making steady progress past three hours due east along 55N, pressure at K4 now 958 mbs and wind has increased to 39 knots (in a zone that was not expected to see the maximum winds).

The satellite imagery tell a story of gathering storm force winds aimed right at Galway and south half of Mayo. Although there will likely be a sharp cut-off just because Mayo is orange rather than red, if you live in Westport or Louisburgh assume you're in for red alert conditions. Newport and Keel may be more on the edge of that. Belmullet could see some stronger variations including some times where it backs off to yellow.

Clare still right in line also. Would say from all evidence the low is 55N 14W and 950 mbs give or take 3 mbs. Pressure is nowhere near finished falling at 12.5W where the buoy is located, rate of fall has increased both of the past two hours.

This will probably hit harder inland than some are expecting, in particular across south Galway into Roscommon and perhaps also north Limerick. The combination of very strong wind, wintry showers, and cold temperatures make this a different animal than most winter storms we have discussed, not only stronger perhaps but also different in the spectrum of hazards to anyone out there today. I would err on the side of caution about possible road conditions by later this morning into the afternoon. It will be quite variable to say the least and could be very bad at times with this combination of hazards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Are met eireann due to release an updated review of the warnings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

The storm of February 1988 was particularly nasty. I think Bemullet had a gust of 170kmph
    I remember that one well. Belmullet recorded 96 Knots (= 177,7 Km/h). Lived in SW Mayo then (Killadoon area). Every third roof came off or was severely damaged. We had no ESB for 6 weeks and no phone for 5 months after that, as nearly all the poles blew down.
    It was a particularly stormy winter and for 10 weeks there was gale warnings non-stop. The lowest was gale 8, apart from the odd lull when a low centre passed over the west, but force 10 regularly during those weeks. The coastline was changed for good.

Advertisement