Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Deedsie wrote: »
    Snowing pretty solid in the Midwest since I got up around 6.

Yes and the Midlands is at risk of blizzard like conditions for a time this afternoon with a longer period of snow extending eastward. Should turn back to rain for most through the evening.

But be aware of it anyway and pop in to the snow thread too with reports where tea and cocoa await :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Re Feb 1988 storm, I had a look through archived weather maps and it was probably on the 9th. Looks stronger than today's storm by 10-20 per cent in terms of gradient winds, also the gradient was a bit more north of due west, the low tracked e.s.e. to a similar 18z position as today's predicted outcome, and it was around 945 mbs at lowest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Max gust in 0700 reports is 93 km/h at Mace Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Absolute blizzard conditions in Limerick city

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Snow in Sligo Town this morning

IMG_20200229_071134.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

24821-FF2-18-D7-4-E89-B03-A-080934-AB114-E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Strangely quiet here Galway Clare border. Usually by now plenty of cars pass house but maybe only 20 percent of usual traffic.
    Skies clearing ready for our amigo Jorge to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

I know this is more about the storm in this thread, but the snow in Limerick, Castletroy at the moment is insane! ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Mod Note: We will not be doing a separate 'technical' and 'chat' thread for this event due to too much bickering the last time we split threads!

So....advance note....keep on topic and do not post nonsense! Off topic and nonsense posts will be removed.

My hero!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just reread the met ie warnings.

I do not remember the words "violent storm force" being there earlier - or ever... Loop Head to Belmullet.

All in readiness here. Cats in. Cannot get to where I think the little sick one is, He never emerges in storms anyways. Bless him.

The door is on the dog lead safety handle. Only open for cats in and out

Everyone out here will be hunkered down. Apart from them checking the boats, Which will have extra moorings.

Soon chicken soup will be a -simmering and a turf fire glowing .. plenty for everyone ;)

Getting very loud out there. that screaming tone entering the wind song.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy if you are a storm enthusiast rather than a forced participant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Very calm here near Castlebar with a light dusting of snow! Calm before the storm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Calm in Cork but snowing lightly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I know this is more about the storm in this thread, but the snow in Limerick, Castletroy at the moment is insane! ðŸ˜

Photos? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,867 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The midlands in particular need to be wary of heavy snow and blizzard like conditions as a result of strong winds from just after midday. This giving hazardous driving condition.

This will effect eastern counties too for a while this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just reread the met ie warnings.

I do not remember the words "violent storm force" being there earlier - or ever... Loop Head to Belmullet.

All in readiness here. Cats in. Cannot get to where I think the little sick one is, He never emerges in storms anyways. Bless him.

The door is on the dog lead safety handle. Only open for cats in and out

Everyone out here will be hunkered down. Apart from them checking the boats, Which will have extra moorings.

Soon chicken soup will be a -simmering and a turf fire glowing .. plenty for everyone ;)

Getting very loud out there. that screaming tone entering the wind song.

Stay safe everyone and enjoy if you are a storm enthusiast rather than a forced participant...

Stay safe up there Graces7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

07z pressure at K4 had fallen to 954 mbs, wind has dropped a bit there indicating approach of the low centre (which is probably two or three hours away from them now). Expect the peak of the storm on the west coast to be around noon to 3 p.m. but it will be steadily ramping up to that peak from now on.

My forecast for peak gusts would include 87 kts at Mace Head, 72 kts at Newport, a conservative 60 kts at Belmullet, 63 kts at Shannon, 68 for Valentia. I do think there's some potential for Newport to go higher than that but not too sure how southwest compares to west for exposure at that location. Malin Head could actually see a stronger gust on Sunday than whatever proves to be their top gust today.

Will issue the usual advice to take a quick look at your vehicle parking location relative to any large trees or other potential flying debris, and expect any of that to be moving from WSW to ENE at the peak of the storm, so avoid parking in certain locations that qualify as hazardous under those assumptions. I would be very reluctant to drive anywhere not so much out of fear of the conditions relative to my own driving skill (and I think this might apply to many reading this) but with a mind to unavoidable hazards plus the possibly lower skills of some others out there (on a Saturday in particular). Better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

504187.jpg

Good morning Jorge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Re Feb 1988 storm, I had a look through archived weather maps and it was probably on the 9th. Looks stronger than today's storm by 10-20 per cent in terms of gradient winds, also the gradient was a bit more north of due west, the low tracked e.s.e. to a similar 18z position as today's predicted outcome, and it was around 945 mbs at .

It was one of the strongest storms i can remember. There were a few people killed during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GreyRock Lass

Dry start to the day here in North Clare (near Lisdoonvarna), cloudy but sun getting through. Fresh gusty wind.....Calm before the storm!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

976.5 hPa Falling Slowly here near Tralee, wind rising slowly.

pression2_uk_sbs3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

94KMH at Belmullet

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

They should name the sunny days, less headache, storms became the normal weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm supposed to be travelling from Galway to Dingle in the next hour or so. Would the consensus be to cancel that journey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm supposed to be travelling from Galway to Dingle in the next hour or so. Would the consensus be to cancel that journey?

Is it a necessary journey?

Is it a necessary journey?

It is, but i can probably put everything back till tomorrow. Will be out a fair chunk of change if i miss today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

It is, but i can probably put everything back till tomorrow. Will be out a fair chunk of change if i miss today.

Id be going asap and you'd be there before the red warning kicks in. I dunno about coming back though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hourly pressure graph for belmullet. fairly steady fall since midnight.

graphe2.php?type=1&data8=966.8&data7=968.2&data6=969.9&data5=971.4&data4=972.4&data3=973.4&data2=974.8&data1=975.2&data0=975.7&

Just looking at the clouds here, and a mish mash of patchy high, mid and lower level cloud, and am surprised at how sluggishly they are moving. Guess once that occlusion swings in they'll start getting a pep in their step.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Motorway all the way to Adare then reasonable road to farranfore.
    From there to Dingle only concern.

Id be going asap and you'd be there before the red warning kicks in. I dunno about coming back though.

I think I'll try to reschedule to tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Dingle peninsula, partly cloudy, no rain, normal wind levels.

Advertisement