Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hoping the power does not go.. I was in Kerry for Darwin and Ophelia turned east I was in Connemara then) so this is a whole new learning curve for me.

Anyone else in Mayo out there?

Slowly but surely picking up in Castlebar, only a max gust of 93km/hr but the pressure is down to 963hpa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Its ramped up here in Sth Galway.
    Twas nice to have a Sat lie in as an event I was going to in Galway City was cancelled.
    Time to get the weekend fry up on ......just in time to toast Jorges arrival around 11.
    Stay safe everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

If Graces island hopping continues she will be up around Donegal for the next storm !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust of 130kmh at Mace Head

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just over an hour ago

Credit: Col McGowan

r1lb2Xf.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

"Hey baby its your Georgie porgie knocking on your door "

Really getting going in Galway now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Occlusion coming ashore now.

975.0 hPa Falling Rapidly here near Tralee, gust 79km/h

eZpqTY9.png?1

XdkTxwr.gif

xgDTvGk.gif

pression2_uk_dap6.png

rafales_uk_vvh0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Closing in.

6XVWPgd.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A cold sleety rain in Central Mayo. Unpleasant.There were more flakes mixed through it when it started off about 40 mins ago. I actually found the windchill quite noticeable when out earlier. Wind gradually starting to pick up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

East Galway.getting bad.high winds with dirty driving hail.wind would cut you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Heavy snow in longford

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Athenry, bit of a breeze so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

My east Galway is flat calm. Take it easy with the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

corsav6 wrote: »
    Getting rough now outside Newport, Mayo. Lights flickered which is rare for here considering the gusts aren't the worst we've experienced yet. Not looking forward to the peak.

As I type this I can feel a slight rumble in the floor under my feet upstairs in a dormer house.

Be ready; power went here at 10,10 and is just back. Only the second power cut here in three years.

This is serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looks like the centre went directly over K4 around 09z and is now around 55.5N 11.5W. Pressure dropped as low as 951.4 mbs at that time and has now risen slightly to 951.8. Winds went quite slack then picked up briskly northwest 21 kts at 10z.

Satellite imagery shows the core of strong winds about to slam into west coast, elements are racing east at 80-100 knots (doesn't mean there are winds of that strength in the lowest 1-2 kms).

Expect Mace Head to be well into 70s by 11z and low to mid 80s (knots) 12z and 13z.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Latest Met Éireann forecast ón RTÉ One showing the old times for the Red warning, further evidence of the disconnect between their website and their tv forecasts. You would think for something as important as a red warning that they would have the most up to date times before going live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Storm 10 wrote: »
    "Hey baby its your Georgie porgie knocking on your door "

Really getting going in Galway now

Not much wind here yet, snowing again now though.

Ha, yeah its all about the direction indeed. The long side faces due south, so it gets scary when the strong southern gusts hit. The walls start bellowing and I m just hoping the tv doesng fall off the wall!

They aligned this south.north alongside the old cottage it was replacing. Right by the north shore and that works well. So the long walls are facing east/west.

km79 wrote: »
    If Graces island hopping continues she will be up around Donegal for the next storm !

I quote fancy the Faroe islands actually!. ;)

sentient_6 wrote: »

The odd squally gale gust here in my part but nowt untoward as of yet.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Latest Met Éireann forecast ón RTÉ One showing the old times for the Red warning, further evidence of the disconnect between their website and their tv forecasts. You would think for something as important as a red warning that they would have the most up to date times before going live.

Must be like trying to pin a butterfly down though

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GreyRock Lass

Winds have certainly picked up here, sun is long gone, squall has just passed..power gone a few km's up the road.....red warning about to kick in...interesting afternoon ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Just heard about the alerts. I'm on holiday and due to get into Dublin at around 10 tonight from the canaries. Anyone know if flights are likely to be affected? I know Dublin will only be on yellow by then but wondering about knock on effects from the earlier orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Athenry, bit of a breeze so far.

Slight increase after a swift hail shower.

Looks like the centre went directly over K4 around 09z and is now around 55.5N 11.5W. Pressure dropped as low as 951.4 mbs at that time and has now risen slightly to 951.8. Winds went quite slack then picked up briskly northwest 21 kts at 10z.

Satellite imagery shows the core of strong winds about to slam into west coast, elements are racing east at 80-100 knots (doesn't mean there are winds of that strength in the lowest 1-2 kms).

Expect Mace Head to be well into 70s by 11z and low to mid 80s (knots) 12z and 13z.

Noticably a little brighter here and not quite as violent. Has been truly awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

sentient_6 wrote: »

Great contribution.Big county is Galway.maybe try going outside and save the attitude like a good lad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Winds have picked up considerably here. We had some snowfall earlier but the wind is higher than I expected this early.

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Whiplashy wrote: »
    Just heard about the alerts. I'm on holiday and due to get into Dublin at around 10 tonight from the canaries. Anyone know if flights are likely to be affected? I know Dublin will only be on yellow by then but wondering about knock on effects from the earlier orange.

As they're knock on effects, nobody here can possibly predict them. It's a game of wait and see, no magic psychic available!

Always liked this song and I think Graces7 might appreciate it too.

"My island home is waiting for me..."

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Winds have certainly picked up in west Galway. Gusty. Not much rain.

Advertisement