Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Finnis Buoy (east of the Aran Islands) getting its act together now with a gust of 69 knots.

https://twitter.com/FinnisBuoy/status/1233717600020041728

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Starting to pick up now in South Kerry after a reasonably calm morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Crazy French fishmongers still open for business in Galway city, for another while anyway :cool:

https://www.facebook.com/348242571927482/posts/2728478910570491/?substory_index=0&sfnsn=mo

A few gusts here, one maybe worth a mention.

I'm keeping an eye on Athenry winds as most, if not all models, have it in the firing line this afternoon, given its exposure to the westerly winds from Galway Bay. 'Blustery', best describes the winds here further north at the mo. Nothing of note as of yet.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Graces7 wrote: »
    Calmer here and the sun is almost breaking through. Is that it? I do realise that is probably a silly question but hope springs eternal...

Nope ... Things will get worse starting around 2pm ish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭Villa05

Darc19 wrote:
    Motorway all the way to Adare then reasonable road to farranfore. From there to Dingle only concern.

Check if you need to avoid adare due to roadworks. May add 20 mins to journey time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tphase

Kutebride wrote: »
    Dont think its live. Same people in this still when I was looking at it last week.

https://thecladdagh.com/webcam/

the Mace Head webcam is live but getting a lot of traffic today

• Registered Users Posts: 45,525 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Massive gusts near Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

6 wrote: »
    Massive gusts near Galway City

Yes gusting to 70mph on my weather station in Galway, was out in the car and it was difficult to stay straight with the wind hitting from the side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

tphase wrote: »
    the Mace Head webcam is live but getting a lot of traffic today

I wouldn't mind but you can't see very much on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

I think to see the real effects of these storms you really have to be right on the coast...I notice during past storms in Galway it was not bad just a few miles inland..but then right on the coast it was full blown storm...there is a huge difference in wind strength just a few miles inland with the majority of storms

• Advertisement

Finnis Buoy now gusting 75 knots, but average wind still only 25 knots?? Hmmm...

https://twitter.com/FinnisBuoy/status/1233722444009082880

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Faoilean mara

Gust of 75kts at Finnis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I can't see any warning for Dublin yet it is highlighted orange on the map. Lovely day so far anyway.

https://www.met.ie/warnings

Edit: of course Dublin is in Leinster, my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just had a fierce gust a short time ago in Sth Gal. Just saw a lady a while back on the Gal City webcam having a right tussle with her umbrella, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tphase

I wouldn't mind but you can't see very much on it.
    well, you can see the conditions are pretty rough but yeah, it's not great. The site overall could do with a major revamp

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Was up in the mountains there in Sligo and its crazy blizzard conditions. This is at the Horseshoe Gleniff

sketch-1582977629014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

Just back from The Prom in Galway...Worst gusts I've seen in a long time. Me and sheepdog left clinging to a lamp post during a particularly violent episode...I'd genuinely advise people to avoid coastal areas in Galway for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Right on a coastal inlet in Oranmore and windows are rattling. Def gonna be sitting very tight this afternoon! It's wild.

Live Doppler Lidar windspeeds with height at Mace Head. 25 m/s now down to the surface.

wspeed_15_latest_36.png

Corresponding 10-metre measurements.

metspedmwebsml.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Certainly sounds like it’s really starting to ramp up in Galway now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The 9z 'Flash Icon' forecast hourly gust speeds from now up to midnight tonight:

uoq93XM.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

East Clare/ South Galway border halfway up a mountain.... Brutal out with sustained winds, heavy gusts and sleet being battered off the windows !!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Here is a live video from the Sligo Mountains at the Gleniff horseshoe

https://www.facebook.com/DonegalWeatherC/videos/1073115373044351/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭gifted

Right on a coastal inlet in Oranmore and windows are rattling. Def gonna be sitting very tight this afternoon! It's wild.

Tile just landed in my side entrance in oranmore...don't know if it's mine or neighbours...I ain't going out to check.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

My live Youtube Stream from Waterford City.
    Might be worth a look later

https://youtu.be/qGmABRLsCw4

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Was up in the mountains there in Sligo and its crazy blizzard conditions. This is at the Horseshoe Gleniff

sketch-1582977629014.jpg

How lovely! Another place I loved; used to drive it on my way home from trading at the Farmers' Market. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

gifted wrote: »
    Tile just landed in my side entrance in oranmore...don't know if it's mine or neighbours...I ain't going out to check.

I opened a window to film the wind effect/sea for my bro in Brazil and jaysus it was nigh impossible to hold open!!
    Stay safe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graces7 wrote: »
    How lovely! Another place I loved; used to drive it on my way home from trading at the Farmers' Market. Thank you

You’ve been everywhere. Where have you not lived? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wind volume building. It has never been quiet; just less rumbustious.. sun is striving to break through,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Definitely ramped up. It's very wild now. The wind is just howling ......love it!

Advertisement