Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

''Just ignore the colours''

Evelyn Cusack chief forecaster,Met Eireann.

Virgin Media News.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Virgin Media News.

??!!

Virgin Media News.

Evelyn is the anti-cyclone to George Lee's cyclone.

What is the exact meaning of a Marine Warning does anyone know? They say coastal waters but does that extend inland at all or is it really only for shipping?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

What is the exact meaning of a Marine Warning does anyone know? They say coastal waters but does that extend inland at all or is it really only for shipping?

Evelyn cusack said it extends from the immediate coastline to 30 km out to sea.

Im less than a mile from the coastline so im expecting red level conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Anyone know what time next update from Met Éireann is due? Would it be crazy to travel from Mayo to Galway tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Thou wrote: »
    Anyone know what time next update from Met Éireann is due? Would it be crazy to travel from Mayo to Galway tomorrow morning?

RTE Radio One has a forecast at 17.57. RTE One TV forecast around 18.55 or so.

I'd say Mayo to Galway tomorrow morning could be a wild ride....I'd be giving it a miss personally but someone more qualified than me may weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Comhra wrote: »
    RTE Radio One has a forecast at 17.57. RTE One TV forecast around 18.55 or so.

I'd say Mayo to Galway tomorrow morning could be a wild ride....I'd be giving it a miss personally but someone more qualified than me may weigh in.

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Jorge is a complex 976-hPa low out at around 22W at midday today, but the centre should consolidate overnight and start a shift eastwards, with the 952-hPa wolf at the door by dawn tomorrow.

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022812_000.png

ukmo_nat_fax_2020022806_024.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Orange - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Severe winds associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay) on Saturday.
    Westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h for a time on Saturday afternoon and early evening with gusts of 110 to 120km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas.

Valid: 13:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 19:00 Saturday 29/02/2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Entire country gone Orange. Plenty of warnings with this one!

Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay). Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 06:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Issued: 11:00 Thursday 27/02/2020

Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay).
    Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h for a time on Saturday afternoon and early evening with gusts of 110 to 120km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas.

Issued: 16:00 Friday 28/02/2020

Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal

UPDATE:
    Rainfall accumulations generally between 20 to 30mm expected during Friday and Saturday, but 40 to 50 mm possible in mountainous areas, with a continuing risk of flooding due to already saturated ground and elevated river levels.

Valid: 00:01 Friday 28/02/2020 to 23:59 Saturday 29/02/2020

Updated: 19:48 Thursday 27/02/2020

Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford

Strong winds associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay) on Saturday.
    Southwesterly winds of mean speeds 50 to 65km/h on Saturday morning with gusts of 90 to 110km/h expected.

Valid: 09:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 13:00 Saturday 29/02/2020

Issued: 13:39 Thursday 27/02/2020

Updated: 16:09 Friday 28/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Shorty69664

Red warning in Clare and Galway...

Status Red - Wind warning for Galway and Clare

Very severe winds associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay) on Saturday.
    Westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 85 to 100km/h in places on Saturday afternoon with gusts of 130 to 145km/h, with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 13:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 16:00 Saturday 29/02/2020

Issued: 16:00 Friday 28/02/202

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I better fetch mother so. Something tells me that this storm is going to live up to the forecasts and really hit hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

504110.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I better fetch mother so. Something tells me that this storm is going to live up to the forecasts and really hit hard.

You do right. Good thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Looks fun alright! Why couldn't it happen during the week when I'd have a prospect of an extra day at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Looks fun alright! Why couldn't it happen during the week when I'd have a prospect of an extra day at home.

Just said the same thing here!!!

There are no words, and there is no hiding place... ;) That list of warnings … :eek:

Wind weary. But nothing we can do except rest tonight and be ready.

One of my beloved rescue cats is sick and has one into hiding as these little lost ones tend to do, and this is adding to the stress. He will not emerge in high winds..

Sorry; off topic.

Have a good and restful evening out there . All blissfully quiet out here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Going to a wedding tomorrow. Sounds like a day to be inside!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

updated title to reflect the red warning from Met Eireann: https://www.met.ie/warnings

Status Red - Wind warning for Galway and Clare
    Very severe winds associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay) on Saturday.
    Westerly winds will reach mean speeds of 85 to 100km/h in places on Saturday afternoon with gusts of 130 to 145km/h, with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 13:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 16:00 Saturday 29/02/2020

Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare and Kerry

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay). Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 06:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo

Some severe winds expected during Saturday associated with Storm Jorge (Hor-hay).
    Southwest quickly veering west and later northwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80km/h with gusts of 110 to 130km/h, possibly higher in very exposed areas with an elevated risk of coastal flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 03:00 Sunday 01/03/2020

Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    UPDATE:
    Rainfall accumulations generally between 20 to 30mm expected during Friday and Saturday, but 40 to 50 mm possible in mountainous areas, with a continuing risk of flooding due to already saturated ground and elevated river levels.

Valid: 00:01 Friday 28/02/2020 to 23:59 Saturday 29/02/2020

Updated: 19:48 Thursday 27/02/2020

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Roscommon, Cork, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford
    Southwesterly winds of mean speeds 50 to 65km/h on Saturday morning with gusts of 90 to 110km/h expected.

Valid: 09:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 13:00 Saturday 29/02/2020

Issued: 13:39 Thursday 27/02/2020

Updated: 16:09 Friday 28/02/2020

Westerly winds of mean speeds 50 to 65km/h on Saturday evening and early Saturday night with gusts of 90 to 110km/h expected.

Valid: 19:00 Saturday 29/02/2020 to 23:59 Saturday 29/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I give up... My mother has been downplaying the storm all day and saying that "they don't know what they are on about half the time" but now because a neighbour has told her he doesn't like "the colour of the low clouds" , she's all on for coming up to ours for the weekend. We've stocked up on candles, extra cylinder of gas for the emergency cooker in the shed, extra groceries and a bottle of brandy. We all like a wee tipple in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,182 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its a bit oddly specific to limit it to Clare and Galway wouldn't you say? I mean it cannot be beyond the realms of possibility that a variance in track of just 50 kms could give red level gusts in Mayo, Limerick, Kerry? I hope ME aren't being overly circumspect because of the media rubbish about the warning protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its a bit oddly specific to limit it to Clare and Galway wouldn't you say? I mean it cannot be beyond the realms of possibility that a variance in track of just 50 kms could give red level gusts in Mayo, Limerick, Kerry? I hope ME aren't being overly circumspect because of the media rubbish about the warning protocol.

Well then if it was in mayo, would it be reasonable to say it could also get to Sligo? Then if it was in Sligo, reasonable to say it could get to Donegal? Where do you draw the line?

Shannon airport forecasting gusts up to 60 knots between midday and 3pm. Wild enough!

Knock also forecasting gusts up to 60 knots between 3pm and 5pm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Graces7 wrote: »
    There are no words, and there is no hiding place... ;) That list of warnings … :eek:

Wind weary. But nothing we can do except rest tonight and be ready.

One of my beloved rescue cats is sick and has one into hiding as these little lost ones tend to do, and this is adding to the stress. He will not emerge in high winds..

Sorry; off topic.

Have a good and restful evening out there . All blissfully quiet out here now.

Grace, this could be your worst ever storm eh since the last one ;)

I give up... My mother has been downplaying the storm all day and saying that "they don't know what they are on about half the time" but now because a neighbour has told her he doesn't like "the colour of the low clouds" , she's all on for coming up to ours for the weekend. We've stocked up on candles, extra cylinder of gas for the emergency cooker in the shed, extra groceries and a bottle of brandy. We all like a wee tipple in the evening.

All sounds very snug and cosy! And glad it worked out so well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And you will be the first on here complaining and whingeing if its not as bad as forecasted

Grace, this could be your worst ever storm eh since the last one ;)

lol... oh definitely! ! Indeed yes! You have no idea what these gales reduce me to! Thankfully!

Wait a mo; the last one was,,.....DENNIS! You mean this is going to be worse than DENNIS? OH that is not possible :eek::eek::eek:

HOR HAY GO AWAY!

lol...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Even though we live in mayo that’s a red for us
    Border is at the bottom of the town

Advertisement