Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

km79 wrote: »
    Even though we live in mayo that’s a red for us
    Border is at the bottom of the town

No. Galway is Galway. You made your choice.
    Picnic out the back garden for ye tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Peatys wrote: »
    Picnic out the back garden for ye tomorrow afternoon.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Literally on Galway Clare border by the sea. Fields around me are filling up nicely for the last month. I swear if we don't get a decent spring summer and autumn I will win the lotto and move..... To wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Itll be a wild morning in North Clare tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if I wake up to a power cut. Will keep a close eye to see if this red is extended beyond 4pm. Have to work in Ennis tomorrow night from 6pm, looks like no night off for me!

I really wish they would base these warning areas on geographical locations and areas rather than political boundaries as these make a mockery of the system.
    Red for example should be less than say 20km from the west coast between Limerick & Westport, not the counties of Clare & Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Literally on Galway Clare border by the sea. Fields around me are filling up nicely for the last month. I swear if we don't get a decent spring summer and autumn I will win the lotto and move..... To wexford.
    Been pretty rotten down here too, though not as bad as other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Not my call but I would say unlikely to go orange anywhere not already orange except possibly Cork, Limerick and Roscommon, and for Cork and Limerick that might be only because some parts could get into that level of gusts, would not expect all of those counties to be in. However, if they were to go red for the west coast, I have the feeling they would perhaps go orange almost everywhere in part to avoid complexity that might not serve any useful purpose?

I would say if the current model trend continues and there is no last-minute downgrade, a red alert is quite likely for at least Mayo, Galway, Clare and Kerry.

Jaysus, fair play that’s almost bang on the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

As someone who's main hobbies involve the outdoors, I'm borderline gone insane at this stage.
    I am so sick to the teeth of these weekend storms.

Going to try get out for a walk early tomorrow morning at the very least to avoid cracking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looking at the UK Met Office app, and it has me down (in Galway) for top gusts of 45 knots tomorrow afternoon with mean speeds barely above 20 knots, which is nothing I haven't seen multiple times this winter so far. This app has proved to be spot on the last few times when all the other GFS/ECM/Harmonie based apps were doing the drama, so will be interesting to see how it performs again this time around.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

LRNM wrote: »
    As someone who's main hobbies involve the outdoors, I'm borderline gone insane at this stage.
    I am so sick to the teeth of these weekend storms.

Going to try get out for a walk early tomorrow morning at the very least to avoid cracking up.

We need a refuge for the meteorologically challenged/ stressed.

I coped with bad gales until the big tsunami. we lost nearly 100 of our "faith family"; vanished without trace, and it left me with a horror of extreme weather. And what the survivors went through. Knowing that does not help. So we.... weather the weather.

• Advertisement

Exactly, he's a treasonous traitor. Moves into enemy territory but still wants our red warnings!

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Graces7 wrote: »
    We need a refuge for the meteorologically challenged/ stressed.

The "meteorologically challenged"! Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Currently so calm in Meath.
    Debating early start for trip West tomorrow to arrive before 12. I'll see Met Eireann at 9pm. Then must re-read Sundays forecast for return journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Kutebride wrote: »
    Currently so calm in Meath.
    Debating early start for trip West tomorrow to arrive before 12. I'll see Met Eireann at 9pm. Then must re-read Sundays forecast for return journey.

West is a big place.. which county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,690 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Somebody please think of the BREAD!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

My Netatmo app is giving max gust of 119 km/h for Dublin tomorrow. We'll see...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Kerry is likely to see a red warning issued by Saturday morning and possibly Limerick also.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭bazlers

So is there much scope for jorge to change direction or strength or are we pretty much nailed down now?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

DOCARCH wrote: »

Could happen based on this PMs charts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Kerry is likely to see a red warning issued by Saturday morning and possibly Limerick also.

Based on what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

West is a big place.. which county?

NE Galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

DOCARCH wrote: »

Oh ya may bring in that weather station so ;)

I really wish they would base these warning areas on geographical locations and areas rather than political boundaries as these make a mockery of the system.
    Red for example should be less than say 20km from the west coast between Limerick & Westport, not the counties of Clare & Galway.

Couldn't agree more, I live in Clare - well inland from the coast. To suggest we are red, and a townload a few km away (and technically closer to the coast) is orange raises my suspicions. Shane Ross having one last laugh?

Kutebride wrote: »
    NE Galway

You'll be grand then. Winds will be nothing like they would be along the extreme coastal margins, which is really what this red county wide warning is referring too. We just get lumped in for reasons that are beyond my understanding.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And the heavy rain has started... ah well, it was a lovely day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

George Lee on RTE saying red for Galway and Mayo :(

pad199207 wrote: »
    George Lee on RTE saying red for Galway and Mayo :(

George Lee talking through his posterior, as per usual. The alarmist supreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very wet ground at this stage wont take much wind to bring down more trees than usual

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Oh George, oh George ( or Jorge in Spanish), what'll I do with my chainsaw now after all the 'advice' you just gave on the RTE news ? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I havent seen any Met Eireann reports this evening but there is a very noticeable mild feeling to this evening compared to recent days. Lovely evening here but cloud is thickening out over the sea. Blackbirds are making great singing in the scrub. OK so that's mother's house secured and extra weights (stones from the ditch) placed on the turf shed roof. The roof is due to be replaced in May so I'm hoping it goes nowhere tomorrow.

Advertisement