Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Has the snow risk diminished since yesterdays charts or is it marginal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

flazio wrote: »
    Living in Ballinasloe which is in Galway, would I be better off heeding the Roscommon Orange warning or the Galway red? I reckon I'm far enough inland to treat it as orange.

Reddish orange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

met-eireann-issue-nationwide-orange-warning-for-saturday.png

Ireland wearing lipstick

Or would clare and limerick be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

flazio wrote: »
    Living in Ballinasloe which is in Galway, would I be better off heeding the Roscommon Orange warning or the Galway red? I reckon I'm far enough inland to treat it as orange.

Vermillion warning I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Does anyone find all the ME warnings totally confusing at this stage ? There is an red and orange warning for Galway for example . For different time frames . Hard to get a handle on when each warning is for !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Latest 15z Icon keeps the centre North West of Donegal. Galway bay or cliffden could have some record breaking gusts if this verifies. Severe gusts penetrating inland areas, even Dublin exposed areas could get gusts of an excess of 120kmph. This could be one to remember!!

hSXW3LS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Daz_ wrote: »
    Does anyone find all the ME warnings totally confusing at this stage ? There is an red and orange warning for Galway for example . For different time frames . Hard to get a handle on when each warning is for !

Answered it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Daz_ wrote: »

The red warning is only for roughly 3 hours or so! Then it goes back to orange. Nothing confusing there :)

Edit must learn to read every word and not just scan post ;)

Rain started in Sth Galway. Roll on 6am
    Thanks to the regulars again for brilliant updates and answers to silly questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The mass extinction of ocean buoys is not a good thing for tracking, but at least K4 is still there and the low may be right over it by 12z. That Hirlam variant showing the Connacht landfall is either on a bender or about to win first place in show. I can't see it happening that way from all the evidence. Low might be anywhere from 10 to 100 miles north of Belmullet at some point. In this case, further south it gets, further south the red warning verification will drift.

Newport could be in high variability mode, Westport almost certain to get nailed, Clifden 90% likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,146 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's kinda weird that a country as small as Ireland gets so many different warnings. All calm here, but Jim next door has a red warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just looking at the high res sat animation for the last couple of hours, and the low center itself appears to have moved very little, if at all in that time frame. At this point in time, it appears to be almost stationary. Not a typically fast moving 'bomb' system at all that would have developed much further west. It would seem that this particular low needs that extra surge of cold air from the NW Atlantic to kick it up the arse and nudge it in our direction. Odd one really.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

Sundew wrote: »
    The red warning is only for roughly 3 hours or so! Then it goes back to orange. Nothing confusing there :)

Edit must learn to read every word and not just scan post ;)

Rain started in Sth Galway. Roll on 6am
    Thanks to the regulars again for brilliant updates and answers to silly questions.

7 different warnings on ME. I found myself zoning out after about the 4th .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭LRNM

The mass extinction of ocean buoys is not a good thing for tracking, but at least K4 is still there and the low may be right over it by 12z. That Hirlam variant showing the Connacht landfall is either on a bender or about to win first place in show. I can't see it happening that way from all the evidence. Low might be anywhere from 10 to 100 miles north of Belmullet at some point. In this case, further south it gets, further south the red warning verification will drift.

Newport could be in high variability mode, Westport almost certain to get nailed, Clifden 90% likely.

Have the frequency and intesity of all the recent storms damaged a lot of our atlantic buoys?

Is it normal for this to happen to modern buoy's or have we just been unlucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Very heavy rain in Galway now is that a squall line moving in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

LRNM wrote: »
    Have the frequency and intesity of all the recent storms damaged a lot of our atlantic buoys?

Is it normal for this to happen to modern buoy's or have we just been unlucky?

God love the buoys during the 80s/90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Met Éireann airport warnings. Casement pick of the bunch, gusting 60-70 knots by 4 pm tomorrow.

Timing is FROM/UNTIL (DDHHMM/DDHHMM), BECMG means Becoming.
    CASEMENT EIME AD WRNG 02 VALID 291100/291800 WIND SFC SSW 25-30KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 2914/2916 SW 35-40KT MAX 60-70 FCST=

DUBLIN EIDW AD WRNG 03 VALID 291100/291800 WIND SFC SSW 20-25KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2914/2916 SW 30-35KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

CORK EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 290800/291500 WIND SFC SW 25-30KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2910/2912 W 35-40KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

SHANNON EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 290800/291600 WIND SFC SW 20-25KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2910/2912 W 35-40KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

KNOCK EIKN AD WRNG 02 VALID 290800/291800 WIND SFC S 20-25KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2911/2913 W 35-40KT MAX 55-60 FCST=

EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 290300/291200 SNOW FBL 1 to 3 CM FCST=

Storm Hot Hay , is that how it's pronounced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I was due to play a round of golf in Galway Bay Golf Club in the morning. Presume it will be ok if I head out early? Have the wet gear of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Curious feature developing

B75-D0550-5-C95-49-D9-AD36-A058-F6-D04799.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Eyre Square Shopping centre, Galway closing at midday tomorrow. 😲

Dry here. Meath. 11⁰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I was due to play a round of golf in Galway Bay Golf Club in the morning. Presume it will be ok if I head out early? Have the wet gear of course.

If you say so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

You will score well on holes 3, 4, 6, 9 and 15. Holes 7, 14 and 18 will be double bogey at least.

Jorge's satellite-derived surface windfield at 14:24 this afternoon. Just tipping 50 knots (brown).

504133.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Met Éireann airport warnings. Casement pick of the bunch, gusting 60-70 knots by 4 pm tomorrow.

Timing is FROM/UNTIL (DDHHMM/DDHHMM), BECMG means Becoming.

That's going to be interesting. Dublin could get a fair rattle from this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Whore-Hay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Keeping an eye on how this Swiss model performs.

aTb94Xg.png

cqhNmZI.png

Whore-Hay.

Guy on UK weather was Hot Hay , I thought it was different.

J-O-R-G-E
    Jetstream Offers Real Gale Eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Can’t be trying to pronounce those funny foreign names ...for me its George :D

• Advertisement

harr wrote: »
    Can’t be trying to pronounce those funny foreign names ...for me its George :D

Stoirm Seoirse.

Advertisement