Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

For leisure travel yeah, business probably not so much.

I would agree. The general public will want to travel again. I know my extended family certainly will.
    But employers will be risk averse towards asking staff to travel. Coupled perhaps with a reassessment of the tradition policy/culture of work travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Quick to assume aren't you?

I was a flight for approx one hour. During that time i had my covering off, while i had a sandwich, two coffee's and one beer.

So am i breaching it? Would you like to retract your claim?

Was it really necessary to eat and drink that much on a one hour flight when you’re supposed to be wearing a mask as much as possible? The answer is no it isn’t necessary and it’s pretty inconsiderate of the people around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

MadYaker wrote: »
    Was it really necessary to eat and drink that much on a one hour flight when you’re supposed to be wearing a mask as much as possible? The answer is no it isn’t necessary and it’s pretty inconsiderate of the people around you.

That's the problem, you could take all the care in the world and find yourself trapped on an aircraft beside someone exercising their divine right to remove their mask while they graze for the entire flight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

That's the problem, you could take all the care in the world and find yourself trapped on an aircraft beside someone exercising their divine right to remove their mask while they graze for the entire flight.

Get the boat.................

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Get the boat.................

And that’s the attitude that makes people hesitant to travel by air. Dublin Airport now stating they’ll be lucky to see 16 million passengers in 2021, clearly many people aren’t confident in returning to the sky yet.

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    And that’s the attitude that makes people hesitant to travel by air. Dublin Airport now stating they’ll be lucky to see 16 million passengers in 2021, clearly many people aren’t confident in returning to the sky yet.

If people are worried about travel, then don't travel. Too busy listening to Holohan and friends that doomsday is always coming tomorrow. It's all bull****

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

If people are worried about travel, then don't travel. Too busy listening to Holohan and friends that doomsday is always coming tomorrow. It's all bull****

Maybe, and maybe all the bull*hit is working give our incidence rate compared to other euro countries, the point is this is a discussion on the impact on the aviation sector here and people having the confidence to fly again is key, “don’t bother traveling so” attitude isn’t what the industry needs, the longer travel is suppressed here the longer it will take to recover to its previous prosperous position with the range of routes we had on offer

Locker10a wrote: »
    Maybe, and maybe all the bull*hit is working give our incidence rate compared to other euro countries, the point is this is a discussion on the impact on the aviation sector here and people having the confidence to fly again is key, “don’t bother traveling so” attitude isn’t what the industry needs, the longer travel is suppressed here the longer it will take to recover to its previous prosperous position with the range of routes we had on offer

If the agenda changed of mainstream media then maybe people wouldn't be as "afraid" to travel.

This daily reporting of numbers and hospitals being overrun blah blah blah. This only seriously affects a tiny minority of people.

Personally i'm not worried about travel, and if people are,maybe then don't travel. There is a vaccine on the way anyway, so this will all be over in the next 6 months

My friend has just returned from an overseas business trip, he was telling me he drove to the airport and parked his car in one of the DAA carparks.
    The bus from the car park was operating at a reduced capacity with perspex shields and plenty of space to maintain social distancing. When he got to security there were measures in place to reduce crowding and maintain social distancing.
    Half the shops and restaurants were closed, those that were open had reduced capacity to help maintain social distancing.
    A lot of the seating in the terminal was removed or cordoned off to help maintain social distancing.
    All the normal safety measures we've become used to until he got to the gate and joined the queue with the other 188 passengers on his flight. He then spent the next three hours packed shoulder to shoulder with no opportunity to maintain social distancing. In situations like this your depending on your fellow passengers to do the right thing, the last thing you need is to be sitting beside some clown who's going to spend the entire flight with their mask removed so they can eat and drink their way around the regulations regardless of how effective you keep telling us that HEPA filters are.

My friend has just returned from an overseas business trip, he was telling me he drove to the airport and parked his car in one of the DAA carparks.
    The bus from the car park was operating at a reduced capacity with perspex shields and plenty of space to maintain social distancing. When he got to security there were measures in place to reduce crowding and maintain social distancing.
    Half the shops and restaurants were closed, those that were open had reduced capacity to help maintain social distancing.
    A lot of the seating in the terminal was removed or cordoned off to help maintain social distancing.
    All the normal safety measures we've become used to until he got to the gate and joined the queue with the other 188 passengers on his flight. He then spent the next three hours packed shoulder to shoulder with no opportunity to maintain social distancing. In situations like this your depending on your fellow passengers to do the right thing, the last thing you need is to be sitting beside some clown who's going to spend the entire flight with their mask removed so they can eat and drink their way around the regulations regardless of how effective you keep telling us that HEPA filters are.

I'll assume i'm that clown. I'll assume the airlines are also those clowns. I'll assume the government who allow the airlines to fly in these conditions are also clowns.

Everyone on that flight who's business' alowed them to fly on a business trip are also clowns

Clowns everywhere.

Come back up for air in about May and your bad dream might be gone by then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

🎵Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I'm stuck in the middle aisle with you🎵

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Personally i'm not worried about travel, and if people are,maybe then don't travel. There is a vaccine on the way anyway, so this will all be over in the next 6 months

That's it exactly, and it's what people have been doing by not travelling by air this year as they were terrified of catching Covid...many flights apart from to some of the Sun destinations have been operating at less than 50% capacity...

I'm sure once these Vaccines come along then those who fear the danger to their existence will again cautiously venture outside their homes again and start to travel again...maybe by Air...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Table 7. Unless you are old and have underlying conditions......Getting a bit boring now folks. The statistics are all there for you to read.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_20201216%20-%20website.pdf

I'll assume i'm that clown. I'll assume the airlines are also those clowns. I'll assume the government who allow the airlines to fly in these conditions are also clowns.

Everyone on that flight who's business' alowed them to fly on a business trip are also clowns

Clowns everywhere.

Come back up for air in about May and your bad dream might be gone by then

Assume whatever you want, not everyone who travels will act the clown but if you happen to be unlucky enough to be sat beside one on a flight you're goosed.
    Some people on here seem to be peddling the narrative that aircraft and air travel in general are some sort of a safe haven from the virus, there won't be 189 people in an 80000 seater stadium this weekend but you can have 189 cramped together for four hours on a flight while every other mode of public transport is operating at reduced capacity.

Assume whatever you want, not everyone who travels will act the clown but if you happen to be unlucky enough to be sat beside one on a flight you're goosed.
    Some people on here seem to be peddling the narrative that aircraft and air travel in general are some sort of a safe haven from the virus, there won't be 189 people in an 80000 seater stadium this weekend but you can have 189 cramped together for four hours on a flight while every other mode of public transport is operating at reduced capacity.

Do you mean like if you're sat beside someone on a flight without a mask that you're definitely gonna get Covid?

How many flights have you been on this year so far?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Do you mean like if you're sat beside someone on a flight without a mask that you're definitely gonna get Covid?

Where did you get that...?

Where did you get that...?

This:
    if you happen to be unlucky enough to be sat beside one on a flight you're goosed.

Tenzor07 wrote: »

How many flights have you been on this year so far?

Don't waste your time on the doomsday people. Sure we'll all be dead if we have a cheese sambo and a coffee on our way to stanstead

Don't waste your time on the doomsday people. Sure we'll all be dead if we have a cheese sambo and a coffee on our way to stanstead

Would you be ok in any other setting if a stranger came up and sat beside you and removed their mask? Would you get up and walk away or would you ask them to walk away?

Would you be ok in any other setting if a stranger came up and sat beside you and removed their mask? Would you get up and walk away or would you ask them to walk away?

Billy, honestly, couldnt give two fcuks if nobody wears a mask anywhere near me. Flight, shop, frankly if they happen to sneeze in to their hand and give me a wet willy and then lick my nostril it won't bother what my thoughts are on COVID. You can keep replying with your but but but we might all have the virus but best of luck to you and i'll say this will all be gone soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This daily reporting of numbers and hospitals being overrun blah blah blah. This only seriously affects a tiny minority of people.

and sure if they died, f*** 'em, they were old anyway :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,573 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If the agenda changed of mainstream media then maybe people wouldn't be as "afraid" to travel.

Please go to the main COVID forum and not bother coming back here - you appear to be trying to grind an axe, not actually contribute to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

IAG purchase Air Europa for €500m, reduced from €1bn price from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

IAG purchase Air Europa for €500m, reduced from €1bn price from last year.

Payment also deferred to 2026(!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

They are receiving government bailouts and buying other airlines, unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

They are receiving government bailouts and buying other airlines, unbelievable.

The takeover began in November 2019 with an offer of €1bn, Air Europa would have no chance without a partner headed into 2021.

''They are receiving government bailouts'' - In Spain, IAG's subsidiaries Iberia and Vueling as well as associated subsidiaries received over €1bn in state backed-loans - This money has to be paid back. Air Europa has a similar arrangement.

Aer Lingus has received no money from the Irish state, British Airways received a credit facility loan again requiring repayment of £300m from the UK Gov. Additionally all these airlines as most business, have received for the unavoidance of doubt wage support schemes in respective countries.

So, ''They are receiving government bailouts and buying other airlines, unbelievable'' is pretty off the mark and entirely misleading. Context is everything, any moneys directly received by them is owed - It's only intended purpose by Government’s was to ensure profitable industries, of which those mentioned here who have had revenue collapses upward of 90% can partake in normal society when it should resume.

The opposite alternative is hundreds of thousands unemployed relying on state coffers with no repayment.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    The takeover began in November 2019 with an offer of €1bn, Air Europa would have no chance without a partner headed into 2021.

''They are receiving government bailouts'' - In Spain, IAG's subsidiaries Iberia and Vueling as well as associated subsidiaries received over €1bn in state backed-loans - This money has to be paid back. Air Europa has a similar arrangement.

Aer Lingus has received no money from the Irish state, British Airways received a credit facility loan again requiring repayment of £300m from the UK Gov. Additionally all these airlines as most business, have received for the unavoidance of doubt wage support schemes in respective countries.

So, ''They are receiving government bailouts and buying other airlines, unbelievable'' is pretty off the mark and entirely misleading. Context is everything, any moneys directly received by them is owed - It's only intended purpose by Government’s was to ensure profitable industries, of which those mentioned here who have had revenue collapses upward of 90% can partake in normal society when it should resume.

The opposite alternative is hundreds of thousands unemployed relying on state coffers with no repayment.

They have according to you 1.3 billion in state funds to aid them as presumably they were not in a position to get money on similar terms in the market. They are now buying another airline. Of course that state aid is enabling the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Did you stop paying your rent/mortgage or walked away from any other financial obligations you had just because you fancied it? IAG entered into a legally binding contract to purchase Air Europa. They flexed their muscles to get Air Europa back to the negotiating table to tweak the deal. As a result Air Europa is still in business and Spain doesn't have to deal with potentially a bunch of redundant staff. The consideration is deferred and will be paid out of future operating profits/cash. Any bailouts have come with strings attached eg: avoid layoffs, keep certain routes open etc etc.

basill wrote: »
    Did you stop paying your rent/mortgage or walked away from any other financial obligations you had just because you fancied it? IAG entered into a legally binding contract to purchase Air Europa. They flexed their muscles to get Air Europa back to the negotiating table to tweak the deal. As a result Air Europa is still in business and Spain doesn't have to deal with potentially a bunch of redundant staff. The consideration is deferred and will be paid out of future operating profits/cash. Any bailouts have come with strings attached eg: avoid layoffs, keep certain routes open etc etc.

If I needed to borrow money for example from family to pay my mortgage etc I would not buy anything unnecessary, if I had other commitments e.g. a holiday booked I would be cancelling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The takeover may well be sanctioned and preferred by some of the state backers of IAG. Air Europa is Spain's third largest airline and employs almost 3,000 people.

Advertisement